Kara Munn

Future Potioneer in Blue 💙🦅
OOC First Name
Harleigh
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
The cobbled street was bustling with people, something Kara was never a fan of. She looked around in search of her mother, more nervous than ever now. She was standing outside of a couple of shops and desperately wanted to go sit down away from people. Kara held the strap of her bag tightly, which is something she often did when anxious.

Kara spotted some benches down the street. Mother said she would be right back, take a deep breath. Something that was easier said than done, she tried focusing on her breathing. In that brief moment her legs swept out from under her and she skidded to the ground. Feeling ready to burst into tears she tried to brush herself off and noticed a scrape on her knee.

Not wanting to be associated with her dad or Ryan for longer than she had to, she'd managed to convince Dad to let her wait outside, flexing her slowly growing independence as the new school year got closer. Soon she'd be without them all the time, so she needed to practice a little now. Anything to get away from Ryan narrating his every thought while he tried to pick out another book. Leaning against the store wall, Nicole tried to people watch a bit, fancying that she probably looked very grown up and mysterious, like a book heroine gazing into the crowd. Her gazing was interrupted when another girl sprawled on the cobbles nearby, a fall that looked like it hurt. Nicole winced in sympathy, pausing a moment to check the store for her dad before walking over to her. "Are you okay, that look it hurt." She said, crouching down to help the girl to her feet.

Kara was embarrassed but very grateful to the girl that helped her up. She stood up and brushed some more dirt off of her pants. Her knee wasn't bleeding too bad, but enough to make her stress about cleaning it up.

"I think so. I'm just flustered." Kara stuttered. "My knee. It's not too bad."

She sighed and held onto her backpack strap, luckily nothing had fallen out. Kara's cheeks were flushed red.

"Thank you. I- I was trying to find my mom or wait on her." She said.

Nicole was relieved the girl seemed okay, trying to offer her a comforting smile as she brushed herself off. She let out a commiserative hiss when she spotted her knee. "Aw ouch, that probably stings," Nicole hated skinned knees or hands the most, they never looked that bad but they always stung for ages after. She looked around when the girl mentioned her mother, as if she could somehow spot her sight unseen in the crowd. "Oh, is she in one of the stores? I'm waiting for my dad and little brother to be finished up over there." She said, poking a thumb back over her shoulder at the book store.

Kara was very clumsy. She nodded about the sting. "I have some first aid supplies in my back, I'll sit down on that bench to take care of it."

Kara was used to her messes and kept stuff in her bag for this purpose. She would rather be prepared and have more than she needs than be unprepared and without. Making her way to the bench, she pulled out a first aid kit pouch.

"I think my mom is at Gladrag's or maybe the quill shop now. I am not sure." She added. "I love the book store."

Kara pulled out a bandage and swab and began cleaning up her wound. It was a homemade first aid kit she had received from her Granny Anne.

Nicole was impressed the girl was apparently so prepared, maybe she was just super accident prone. She followed her over to the bench, trying to resist the urge to hover too close but wanting to make sure she was okay. "Do you need any help?" She asked, motioning to the first aid kit.
She nodded, pausing at the fact that the girl apparently didn't know exactly where her mum was, but deciding if she didn't look too worried, it was probably fine. "I can wait with you until she's done, if you like? My little brother's picking new books right now and he always takes foreeevverr" She said, tilting her head back against the bench and rolling her eyes. "But when I'm shopping for myself they're alright. Gladrags is neat too, I'm so excited to get all my new school robes and stuff, even if uniforms are kinda lame." Nicole figured she was probably talking a bit too much, but she wanted the other girl to feel comforted, and maybe conversation would help keep her mind off her knee. "Oh, I'm Nicole by the way, hi."

"I just about got it, but thank you," Kara said with a smile as she finished wrapping a bandage over the small injury. "My granny made me this kit, I tend to be rather clumsy. My mom said if I didn't have so much stuff in my bag I'd probably not trip as much. My dad agrees with me that it's always better to be prepared."

She felt much calmer now, just by having somebody to talk to. Kara was just easily overwhelmed by large crowds of people.

"That'd be nice. Thanks again for all your help." She said, happy that the girl offered to stay with her. "I am excited about uniforms I think. I've been doing some reading and there are a lot of benefits of having uniforms." Kara trailed off and lowered her head, she didn't want to scare off somebody new.

"Nice to meet you, Nicole, I'm Kara." She replied.

"Wow, yeah better safe than sorry," Nicole said, tucking a knee up under her chin as she watched Kara finish up with the first aid kit. "What else do you have in there, anyway?" She asked curiously.
Nicole tilted her head when Kara mentioned she'd been reading about uniforms. Nicole liked reading, but she preferred fiction stories, not research stuff that Kara seemed to be implying, but at least she always knew what she was talking about, probably. Nicole hadn't really been thinking about the benefits of uniforms, she'd more been worried about planning what'd she'd have to wear all year. "I wanna know what house I'll be in already so I can coordinate the colours," She said happily. "I like blue the most, but I don't think I'm Ravenclaw material." Nicole sighed, blowing some of her hair out of her face. She definitely looked best in blue.

Kara's eyes lit up when Nicole asked what else was in her kit. "Standard muggle first aid supplies, but just about everything you could think of. Also a note from my gran, she said for when I am feeling sad. Even a couple of pieces of chocolate!" She smiled, it was her favorite gift.

"I am eager to learn what house I will be in."
Kara beamed. "I really hope I get sorted into Ravenclaw like my dad. I don't think I am Gryffindor material like my mom. My brother is more like her."

She had done a lot of thinking about this and read things over and over, her parents often told her bedtime stories of their time at Hogwarts in the UK. Kara loved listening to their tales. "What class are you going to be most excited for?"

Nicole might have been embarrassed to admit she kept a note from her grandma or something with her like Kara apparently did, but the other girl seemed to genuinely excited and happy about it Nicole almost wished she had something like that too. It was a sweet idea at least. "The chocolate is a very important part of the medical process," She said gravely, before giggling at the idea. She'd heard of the curative powers of chocolate but always thought it was mostly an excuse to eat lollies, not that she'd complain.
"Well, I think being prepared is a Ravenclaw trait, probably,"She shrugged. It sounded pretty Ravenclaw-y to her at least. "Funny, I think my little brother is probably more Ravenclaw material honestly, but he doesn't start till next year," She said, noting the potential flip in personality. The whole house thing was a lot of fun for her to think about, even if it made Nicole a little nervous too. At least it meant she'd probably get to be together with a bunch of other kids she'd get along with, which might have been the point of the whole thing.

Nicole made a face at the mention of classes. It'd be a lot of fun to learn magic, but classes also meant homework and lectures probably. Yuck. "Hmm, maybe charms? My mum knows a bunch of really neat ones. What about you?"

Kara agreed that being prepared was something a Ravenclaw was likely to do. "My brother is turning 9 soon, so he still has a little ways to go as well."

She also had a birthday coming up soon, she would be 11. Kara couldn't wait. "Charms will be fun. I am most excited for potions. I want to be a master of potions one day when I finish Hogwarts."

Nicole considered the idea of potions classes, but the whole thing sounded a bit messy and smelly to her, so she couldn't say she was looking forward to it. "That's a cool career choice," She said, "If you like being prepared, potions is probably something you'd be good at, following recipes and stuff," She smiled, glad that Kara seemed to be feeling better after the fall. "I thought you might want to be a healer or something with your first aid kit," She said with a smile. "I don't think I know what I wanna be yet." She said, tugging at a few strands of hair as she thought. It was a bit early to be planning for the future, Nicole figured maybe she could figure that out while she was at school. It was very grown up to go off to Hogwarts soon, but she wasn't sure she was ready to be that grown up just yet.

Kara was beyond excited to pursue her dreams. “My father is always making magical inventions. I enjoy that too, but nothing beats watching them make potions.” She remembered the last potion her mom was making, she even let Kara help prepare ingredients. “Healing is nice, maybe I’ll make potion first aid kits to sell. Call them Kara Kit’s.” Kara laughed a little bit, but enjoyed the thought of it as a possibility. “Is there a career test? Like those muggle ones but magical jobs?”

"Oh that's so cool, my dad just hangs around the house making sure I don't kill my brother," She laughed. It was easy to make fun of her dad, but she was glad to spend the time with him when he wasn't being embarrassing. "I'd buy one, that's the perfect name, I can already see it on the shelves," Nicole smiled, waving a hand in front of her as she imagined the label. She thought it was a pretty admirable, if a bit nerdy, idea for Kara. "Gosh though, can imagine taking that test and it gives you something awful, like magical accountant or something, gross." Nicole scrunched up her face at the idea. She'd have to figure out a better, cooler carer, before it got to that point.

“That would be cool to have my own product in stores.” Kara thought out loud. She reached in her bag pulling out her journal and pen.
Think about a first aid potion kit
Kara Kits?
Something to learn in school...
Her mind wandered for just a moment. “I wonder if we could make one. Are you an author? Potion professor? Dragon keeper?” She loves to write and to make things. A wizard career quiz would be pretty fun. Maybe she could think about it at Hogwarts when she learns more about careers.

Nicole nodded. "You've gotta do it now. Would it come with the chocolate too?" She asked. She was a little jealous she didn't have any cool ideas like Kara seemed to have, but it was fun to think about designing their own products regardless. Getting a little more comfortable, she toyed with the career test idea too. "We gotta make sure to include all the good careers too like Quidditch captain or magizoologist." Nicole didn't think she'd want to be either of those things, but they certainly sounded clever or glamorous to her.

Kara agreed and nodded. "It would be awesome. Of course, it would have chocolate! We could make our own special kind." She had never made chocolate before but figured it wouldn't be too hard to make. "Oo, yeah. Quidditch captains and quidditch players. Some people aren't natural born leaders, but still, like to be a part of the team." Kara was mostly thinking of herself, while she wasn't a fan of quidditch she didn't like to be a leader. "A magizoologist would be fun. Some animals scare me though. We could also include a magical reporter and wand maker."

Nicole perked up at the thought of making chocolates. "Do you think we could make some with other lollies too? Maybe some that change flavours as you chew them," She didn't think lollies really had a lot to do with first aid, but they sounded a lot more interesting than just bandages and potions to her.
She listened as Kara rattled off some more careers, blinking in consideration. "Wow, you really put a lot of thought into all this.." Nicole had never really thought about things like wandmakers before, but she supposed someone had to make them. "Do you have to know a lot about trees to make wands, you think?" She asked, fussing with a few strands of hair as she thought about it.

Kara pondered about the lollies. “Everytime I go to the doctor, I get a lollipop. We could try to make them.” She said, thinking to ask her grandma if she knew how to make candies. “I think to be a wandmaker you’d have to know a lot about trees and their magical properties, care of magical creatures for the wand core, and who knows what else.” The girl was young but absorbed knowledge like a sponge. Recently she had been reading up on wands trying to prepare for getting her first wand. She want to be prepared.

Nicole nodded seriously at Kara's suggestion before laughing again. "I don't even think I know how to make lollipops.. What's in them besides sugar and the stick?" Nicole sometimes helped her dad cook, but never anything like that. She frowned in consideration as Kara thought aloud about wandmaking some more. "That sounds like a lot of hard work. How'd people even figure out trees could be magic I wonder," She said, hooking her chin back over her knee. It was pretty fun watching Kara go off on these little mental tangents, even if Nicole didn't really know much about what she was talking about.

Kara thought about it. "I am not really sure what's in them. Maybe there is a way to make ones with medicine inside. That would taste better." She said, daydreaming about mango lollies. Kara's parents didn't do a lot of cooking, she was really only used to her grandparents cooking. Her parents were always busy with some new thing to cook dinner, but they always let her help them on their projects. "I have no idea how." Kara decided that she was going to look into wandmaking and lollypops. Seems like good information to know, knowledge can't hurt anyone. "Do you have a wand yet?"

Nicole made a face at the idea of medicine in lollipops, "Ew, can you imagine how that would taste though," She said, pressing a laugh into her knee at the imagined taste. "Though, it would be way better to get to eat lollies when you're sick instead of having to take a pepper up potion or something. Maybe it would make a spicy lollipop, that'd be fun. Nicer than acid pops at least," She mused, warming up to the idea. "We should be business partners. We just need to learn how to make lollipops... and the potions.." Nicole shrugged, brushing her hair from eyes. They could figure out the details later, but they were definitely onto a winner here.
She shook her head when Kara asked about having a wand. "Noo, not yet. I'm so ready though. I wanna get one with unicorn hair, oh or maybe veela hair, how lovely," She looked Kara up and down real quick "Why, you don't have one already do you?" Nicole would be so jealous if Kara already did. It was bad enough she had to wait so long to finally go to Hogwarts, now she also had to wait for her wand too.

Kara nodded excitedly. "Maybe we will make the first pops to taste great and not like a gross potion. Tasty potions and medicine." She hoped Nicole and her might become good friends at Hogwarts. "Definitely, we would make a great team. We will learn potions at school, I can definitely do research on the lollies." Semi-relieved to hear that she didn't have a wand yet either, she sighed. "No, I don't have one yet either. I can't wait. I don't know what kind of wand I want. I don't know what would be good for me. I suppose the one that chooses me will know best." Kara decided that she would do more research on it, wondering if there was a wand that was especially good for potion making.

Nicole nodded along as Kara described their future business. "Totally, we'll have to have some sort of secret recipe we guard super closely, maybe written in code or something," She said, putting on a mock serious face at the idea. It was fun to joke about, but she did really think Kara might be brainy enough to pull something like she was describing off. "Lolly research sounds like my kind of homework project," She said, sighing dreamily. "Way better than the stuff we'll probably actually have to research. Maybe we could go to Honeyduke's on like, a fact finding mission?" She could probably convince her dad to give her some money for lollies if it was in the name of science.

It was a relief that Kara didn't have a wand either, Nicole didn't feel so left out as she had when some of her other friends older than her had already gotten theirs and she had to wait. "I knoow," She whined when Kara mentioned the wand choosing her. "But I wanna know which one that'll be already. I feel like I've been waiting ages." It was such a pain to wait so much longer, even if all the school shopping meant she'd have to actually go to school soon, it was still fun.

Kara thought about the secret recipe. “I bet there are books at the library on different codes that have been used. Maybe we will learn some magic to help us protect it.” She made another note in her journal about codes and protective magic. The journal always got stuff added, she tried to get to everything. Nicole seemed like a good business partner. “We should definitely go to Honeyduke’s. That sounds like the perfect place to start research. At least until we learn some actual magic.” They’d probably have to go before school starts, otherwise it’d have to be on a holiday. The excitement for a wand was hard to remain patient for. Kara was finding other ways to occupy her time. “I hope I don’t break my first wand. At least not anytime soon.” Kara looked around the shops. Her mom was in the robe shop, she appeared to be checking out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back