Sydney Townsend

Amateur Duellist | Smarter Than You

OOC First Name
Kris
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Single (Not Looking)
There were better places to practice new spells than the old classroom on the second floor, this Sydney was aware of, but ever since becoming both a prefect and one of the leaders of the SDA, she'd been more and more aware that more people were watching her. Whether waiting for her to make a mistake or hoping to copy her own successes, she didn't know, but when it came to learning new spells, especially difficult ones, Sydney tended to avoid the more obvious practice locations down in the dungeons. What she lost in convenience and equipment she would hopefully gain in privacy.

She'd already caused a muffilato spell around the room, to discourage any more curious students, before getting down to work. Since Everte Statum had become something of her signature and wildly used around the SDA, Sydney had wanted to work on a more powerful knock-back jinx, something that could really pack a punch. She'd managed to find something listed in a spell book in the library, pointedly ignoring all the notes about it being a spell better suited for NEWT students. In Sydney's mind she could already handle the NEWTs no problem, so one spell shouldn't be an issue. So far though, the spell had easily eluded her. "Evasto!" She shouted again, growling in frustration when her targeted desk didn't so much as wiggle. "Evasto! Evasto! Evasto! Ugh, everte statum!" The small grain of satisfaction at sending the desk skidding across the room was outweighed by her frustration at her lack of success and Sydney returned to the spell book in a huff, angrily flipping pages for more insight.

Emily was trying to find somewhere to read in peace. It seemed finding quiet places around the school was just impossible today. After a few hours of searching, she seemed to vaguely recall an abandoned classroom somewhere. It took her about an hour of searching to find it. She opened the door, book in hand, and took a step inside. She paused, the door shutting behind her, and blinked. "Oh... Sydney?" She remembered the girl vaguely from before and held her book to her chest. "I'm sorry, I didn't realize anyone was in here."

Sydney spun around when someone opened the door, wand still raised. She lowered it some when she realized it was Emily, though not entirely. Emily probably wasn't here to bother her explicitly, but with her frustration, she wasn't exactly open to having an audience at the moment. "I charmed the door so no one could hear," She said shortly when Emily admitted she hadn't known Sydney was in here. She stared at Emily for a moment longer, wondering if she was going to say something or leave before moving back to her textbook, flipping a page back and forth. Emily read a lot, so maybe it wasn't a stretch to ask if she knew anything about the spell she was working on. It wasn't that she needed help, she just needed to talk it out was all. "Do you know anything about advanced charms?" She asked cautiously, turning back to Emily.

Emily almost smiled at the other girls' words. "Well, it worked," she walked over and sat down in a chair, settling down and opening her book in her lap. She looked up as Sydney asked about Advanced Charms. "I've done a bit of studying on it, what's up?" She asked. She didn't really care about her grades, but she did know a thing or two.

Sydney grunted in acknowledgement when Emily confirmed that at least her muffliato spell had worked. That was one spell going right today she supposed, turning so she could continue angrily flipping through the text book. "I'm-" Sydney started, trying to explain what the issue was with the new spell she was working on. She wasn't struggling with it, she just. Couldn't immediately figure it out. "I'm working on an upper level spell," She settled on, deciding to start simply. "Evasto. Do you know it?"

Emily's brow furrowed at the spell Sydney mentioned. "Yes," she replied easily, "But thats a newt level spell, we haven't advanced enough in our studies to be able to cast that," she replied, brushing her hair back. She knew Sydney wouldn't like that answer so she tried to offer up a solution. "You are advanced, have you thought of perhaps Langlock or Incarcerous?" She asked. She knew Sydney was a bit more advanced, but not seventh year level just yet.

Sydney clicked her tongue in annoyance when Emily mentioned the spell being NEWT level. "I know that," she said sourly, still uselessly flipping pages as if it would help anything. "Maybe the rest of our year 'hasn't advanced enough' for it, but surely I have," she said, anger directed more at her own inability to do the damn spell than at Emily pointing out the obvious. Her venom was somewhat mollified by Emily's acknowledgement that she was at least advanced in the other girl's eyes and she glanced over her shoulder at her. "Langlock, that's similar to the tongue-tying jinx, right?" She said after a beat, mulling it over. Sydney didn't want to admit defeat, but a spell that could limit her opponent's ability to say spells was never a bad thing to pick up.

Emily almost sighed at the sharp tone. Was that all she was worth anymore, blunt replies and sharp words? She almost considered leaving, but Sydney spoke again. "Yes, it basically glues the targets tongue to the top of their mouth," she spoke softly, looking down to her book and running her fingers gently over the cover.

Sydney mulled over Emily's suggestion. Maybe she'd do better with Evasto if she could take a break. That was probably the big issue, she was just over-worked. Sighing, Sydney shut her text book, moving to prop herself on the desk and look over at Emily. "Could be worth checking out," she said begrudgingly, glancing down at the book in Emily's hands. "What've you got there, then?" She asked, tucking her wand away and folding her arms now that she'd accepted she was having a break from spell casting for the time being.

Emily smiled a little as Sydney sat down. She showed Sydney the cover of her book. "The Vampire Chronicles. It's an old book I've had since first year, it's a dark series about fictional vampires." She explained easily. "It's comforting, oddly enough."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back