Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Married
Sexual Orientation
Asexual (Mervyn)
Wand
Straight 14 1/2 Inch Rigid Dogwood Wand with Unicorn Tail Hair Core
Leda had only ever attended the Valentines dance once before, and it hadn’t been a particularly thrilling affair for her personally. This time she was here for another reason entirely than just to have fun, and one the prefect thought was much more important. Dressed for the occasion, with hair red hair flowing down her shoulders as usual, Leda had taken up a spot in the Great Hall early. She was sat at the head of the room. Looking down across the decorated scene where she would quiet easily be able to see everyone as they entered, and who they came with. She wanted to make sure her first article in the Hogwarts Monthly was unforgettable, and glad that she had the task of reporting this particular event, she couldn’t think of anything more exciting.
It seemed she was one of the first there, but that suited the Slytherin down to the ground as it meant she wasn’t going to overlook any important things happening. Later she may have wandered around, mingled even with strangers she’d yet to talk to, but right now she was in her element as an observer, and one that wasn’t going to miss a thing.

Sophie tended to be at all the events at Hogwarts, as it felt important to know what was going on around the place when she was running the paper. She wasn't in charge of the piece about Valentine's day in the paper this semester, but if someone was unable to finish their piece it was her job as editor to keep it on track. It was important she knew at least a little bit of what happened so she could write about it. Sophie hadn't had a proper date to these events since Isaac, and she felt a little pang seeing all the couples together. She wondered if Gabriel was around somewhere with his girlfriend, but didn't go out of her way to look for him. Instead, she spotted Leda, and headed over to her. She looked serious and seemed to be observing what was going on around her. Sophie gave her a rare smile. "You know, you can still have fun at the events you write about." She teased gently.

Leda had been so focused on watching the couples that were coming in, that she was missing those that slipped through by themselves. The fifth year wasn't even aware someone was close to her until she heard Sophie's voice. The prefect shot her eyes across to the Ravenclaw, a silent sigh escaping her lips. "Tell that to Mervyn." she mumbled. Leda had never had a date at all, but she missed the days when she would come to the events with her best friend. They were the most fun. It was almost like the only time Leda actually enjoyed herself these days was while out on the pitch, preferably scoring, or when she was in her element, writing. "You know, other people can have their fun at these events. I'll get mine after." Noting down a few more couples than entered the room. Leda wore a simple dark green dress, one that was neither special nor outgoing. She didn't need the extra attention. Leda flashed her eyes over the older girl beside her, wondering how rude it would be to ask what she was doing here. She didn't really care whether Sophie had a boyfriend, a topic that so many people in the school apparently cared about, but she did enjoy a bit of drama away from the ordinary. "Have you seen anyone do anything remotely exciting?" she asked her, trying to make sure of the extra pair of journalistic eyes. "Something needs to spice this place up."

"Who?" Sophie asked, trying to remember if there was a Mervyn at the paper she had forgotten about. Only then did she remember that was Leda's best friend, though she wasn't sure why he was relevant to their conversation. She nodded when Leda said she would have fun after the event. "Dances not your thing, then?" She asked. "They're not really my thing either." She added, showing that she understood the girl. it was nice to have some company, and Sophie also wanted to be around if Leda needed any advice. This would be her first article for the paper. Sophie shrugged. "I've seen Professor Styx and Professor Burke together, but not much else. I usually just list some couples and some outfits, that's what people care about. They just want to see their own name in the paper." She shrugged again. "Nothing huge has happened yet." Leda's last comment gave her pause. "I don't think it's up to us to create our own news." She added quietly.

Leda wasn't entirely sure if she'd heard her first question correctly. Apparently it wasn't so common anymore to hear Leda and Mervyn the dream team. A few years ago it would have been rare to see one without the other. "No." she said simply. She didn't think she could dance and didn't really want to try in front a school full of people. "Why do you come then?" she asked, it wasn't as though Sophie was writing for the article. She didn't take the Ravenclaw for the dancing type either, but what was her enjoyment? Her eyes widened at the news of the professors, how did she miss this? It was strange for her to hear and no doubt the rest of the school would marvel and two of the adults getting together at their party. She had a good point though. Every year Leda had looked for her own name. It was a sense of validation and importance. Who had been noticed and who'd been swept under the carpet. Only those that were good enough should have even had recognition. "Is it creating your own news if it's just implied through evidence?" Sure, Leda could only write exactly what she saw, but if lessons were teaching her anything, it was what you did with that information that make a real difference.

Sophie shrugged in response to Leda's question. "I come to all the events for the paper, even if someone else is covering it." She told the girl honestly. "Sometimes people can't make a deadline, in that case it's my job as editor to jump in and help or take over if needed." She didn't mean to imply that might be the case with Leda, but it was always possible. "It's just good to stay on top of things, too." She added with another small shrug. She had been suspecting that Leda had been hinting at pulling some mischief to get some news to write about, but now that Leda asked her about creating her own news through evidence, she wondered what the girl meant by it. "What do you mean? If you have evidence, concrete evidence, it's not created by you. If you really have evidence, it's news. If you don't, it's not. I would think." She said. "Do you have an example in mind of what you mean?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back