On the Edge

Tyson Huntly

Tyson had scribbled a note to Lisa at breakfast this morning, and dropped it on her plate on the way past the Ravenclaw table.
Note to Lisa said:
Hey, meet me on the cliffs at two?
Tyson

He had a little picnic with him, and had spread a checkered blanket on the grass at the very edge of the cliff. Tyson dangled his legs over the egde and looked down. The drop didn't bother him too much, but he wasn't sure about Lisa, so he got up and moved the blanket back slightly. After setting out the food, he sat down. He had put on a blue shirt and black jeans before coming down.

Lisa had glanced at the note in surprise, and after seeing who it was from, looked around, but Tyson had disappeared. Strange, she mused, feeling a little excited for an unknown reason.

Donning her favourite sparkly leggings an patterned top with silver pumps, Lisa had set off for the cliffs. When she saw that Tyson had laid out a picnic for them near the edge, the Ravenclaw had to smile. The fact that he had put all this effort just for her made her tingle inside.

"Hey Tyson," Lisa said as she approached, smiling at the Gryffindor boy. "I got your note," she added, holding up the little scrap of parchment as she sat down next to him.

Tyson heard a voice behind him, and looked around to see Lisa sit down beside him. Greeting her with a smile, he said "Hey, how are you? I haven't seen you since sorting" a little sadly. He had missed her.
He looked at the food layed out on the blanket "Dig in" he said, indicating it all.

"I know, it's been a while, hasn't it?" Lisa smiled at him as she took a queen cake, nibbling it. Surprisingly, she had missed him a lot. Tyson made her smile, and she could really be herself around him, and forget about everything. "Congrats on Gryffindor, by the way," she added, remembering the ceremony. "Were you surprised?"

"I didn't didn't know what to expect, but it's awesome. I think I belong there" Tyson said matter of factly.
"What about you? You're in Ravenclaw! That's awesome!" he said. He would have liked to have been in the same house as Lisa, but they both suited their current houses. He popped a dried piece of apricot in his mouth, and swallowed it.

Lisa smiled. "It's really cool in there," she said, thinking of all the people, most of whom were reasonably nice. "There's lots of nice people, and there's an amazing view from my window!" She laughed, but inside was a little sad; all the friends she made before she came here were in a different House to her, like Tyson, and Taylor too. It made her feel somewhat lonely.

"Made many friends yet?" She turned to him curiously.

"Cool" Tyson said with a smile. That was what Gryffindor was like for him.
"Nah, I haven't really been making much of an effort" he said in an offhand way. It was true, but he knew he would meet people in classes.

"Oh." Lisa could not think of anything else to say. "You'll meet more people soon," she said confidently; she knew that typical characteristics of a Gryffindor were being outgoing and confident around people. "After all, you can't really hang around with me, Dannii and Tabitha all the time." She laughed and looked at him, her eyes twinkling.

Tyson grinned wryly "I know, I just can't seem to be bothered" he said with a laugh. It was true, he just hadn't been doing much lately. He looked at Lisa with a little smile "So what have you been up to lately?" he asked. Tyson knew Lisa would have met lots of people by now, probably lot's of other boys. This annoyed him, which puzzled him. He felt slightly slightly protective over her, but not in a sisterly way like he did for Tabitha. Shrugging it off, Tyson smiled at Lisa again.

"Nothing really," Lisa shrugged; true, she had met a lot of people, but she hadn't really made new friends - yet. "Three quarters of the first years in my House are girls - honestly! I've only met about four boys in my House so far." It was pretty strange; it was going to get pretty crowded in the dorms if this kept up. "It's nice to get away from all the girls, and just...be myself." She gazed out over the cliffs; it was a beautiful sight.

Tyson rolled his eyes in agreement "I know what you mean. This whole place is made up of girls" he said, his tone slightly exasperated. It wasn't that girls didn't make good friends, but it got quite tiring. None of the girls at Hogwarts had really caught his eye yet, exept for Dannii, but he was well over that. Sighing, he followed Lisa's gaze out over the grounds.
"It's nice isn't it?" he said softly.

"Very, very nice." Lisa agreed, laying her head on Tyson's shoulder. It was what she used to do with her dad when she was content; she did it without thinking. It felt right here, on the cliffs; it was as if she had lived next to them all her life.

Lisa answered slowly, as if in a dreamlike state. "Sometimes," she said. "I am when I'm on a broom, or standing on the edge. But I'm okay here," she added, indicating to where the two first years were sitting. "More than okay."

"That's good" he said quietly. It wouldn't be good if she suddenly started feeling dizzy or something. The sun was casting an orange glow on the lake below them, and lighting up the clouds.

Lisa smiled at the magnificent view, turning her head and smiling up at Tyson. It made her feel good that he cared about her. Strange, she thought, I really care about him too. "Have you seen Dannii recently?" she asked; she knew that she and Tyson were good friends.

Tyson smiled back, but frowned slightlyat the question. The only time Lisa and Dannii had met, it hadn't been great first impressions "Well, only once since we got to Hogwarts" he said casually, searching for something else to talk about. He said the first thing that came to his mind "So, have seen any boys you like around Hogwarts?"
Crap, why did you say that?! He thought angrily to himself. It had been on his mind earlier, and had just slipped out, which he bitterly regretted.

Lisa frowned at the question. Why did he ask that? she thought to herself. "Not especially," she said slowly; how was she supposed to answer a question like that? "Well, not since I came to Hogwarts, anyway."

Tyson was still mentally slapping himself when she answered. His self disgust was cut short by her answer. Not since I came to Hogwarts anyway. What was that supposed to mean? Did she already have a boyfriend? The idea annoyed him for some reason.
"That's good" he said without thinking. You stupid STUPID IDIOT! he shouted at himself. That made him sound like he was interested in her. Was he? Now he had confused himself thoroughly.
"Sorry" he mumbled "That came out wrong" Tyson was very relieved that Lisa couldn't see his face, which was red with embarrassment.

Lisa half-laughed at Tyson's response and glanced up at him, seeing his bright red face. "I met someone that I liked before I came to school," she said, meaning Tyson himself; she hoped that he would realise that. She rested her head on his shoulder again. She didn't think he wanted her to see his face.

Tyson was relieved when Lisa kind of laughed, which hopefully meant she didn't mind his mindless blabber. He blinked. He had had no idea she had liked him before they came to Hogwarts "And do you still like that person?" he asked slowly, not knowing what the answer would be. He looked away, out over the lake when she looked up at his face.

"Well, obviously," Lisa said, in a tone that suggested that this was the most obvious thing in the world. "Otherwise I wouldn't be here, would I?" She smiled and sat up straight again, looking at him with a twinkle in her eye.

Tyson tried to think about what she had said, but it was made difficult through th ringing in his ears.
If Lisa likes me, am I supposed to like her? he thought Yes, but when you liked Dannii, she didn't like you, so you don't have to like Lisa, but maybe you do like her He was now more confused than ever, so he just smiled at her
"Well that works then" he said, again without thinking. What have done now?! You just said that you liked her! Maybe you do...

Now it was Lisa's turn to get confused. Tyson was sending very mixed messages. "Just go with the flow," she said quietly. "Anything is possible." She smiled and winked - very unusual for her.

Tyson was relieved when Lisa ended the awkward conversation.
"Yeah, you're right. So, what have you been up to lately?" he asked, trying to stray as far away as he could from the previous subject.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back