Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Single
Sexual Orientation
Heterosexual
Wand
Straight 10 Inch Sturdy Larch Wand with Unicorn Hair Core
Gabriella's first hours at school had been absolutely life changing, even more than they were for the average student. That is, unless the average student tended to come face to face with their long-lost sibling for the first time in nine years on their very first night at Hogwarts. She had talked to Fransesca, even complained about how rude she had been and she hadn't noticed anything about the girl. Looking back, she wondered if there hadn't been something oddly familiar about her, but she might be feeling that because she felt like she should be feeling that way. Wasn't someone supposed to recognize their own sister? Her thoughts were just confused, and she really wasn't sure what she wanted now. She had been perfectly happy without Francesca in her life, the other girl never more than an absent thought in her mind. She had sometimes wondered what her sister was doing at that exact moment, what she looked like, if she liked the same things she did... but it was nothing serious. Certainly she had never expected to be at the same school as her for the next seven years, and she was sure her father hadn't either or he wouldn't have sent her here. Right?

That's what she was going to ask. The letter with the demanding questions clutched tightly in her grip as she made her way up all the stairs to the owlery. She had asked an older student to explain to her where it was, though she was now seriously reconsidering buying an owl herself. If she had to make this climb every time she had to send a letter she would... well, be very annoyed.

She was so busy focusing on all the steps, that she didn't notice the other person in the owlery until she was standing behind her. It took her a moment to recognize her from behind, but when she did she started. The only person in the entire school she didn't really want to see right now, really? Her sharp intake of breath was involuntary, and if she had controlled it better she might have turned and ran without ever talking to her sister. It seemed like the two of them had had the same idea, as Francesca probably had a letter to her (their) mother she wanted to post right this second as well. The similarity made her feel uncomfortable, not sure if she wanted them to have things in common. It made her feel like her own actions weren't under her control, like it was just something in her genes. Not her own choice.

"Sorry, I... I'll come back later."
She said awkwardly, averting her eyes from the older girl.

Frankie had been thinking all morning about the news she had learned during the Sorting Ceremony last night. It hadn't been enough to keep her awake for hours - she'd slept like a log - but it was still... Gabby. Gabriella. It was weird. A name was just a word, really, and memories were just pictures. Worse than pictures. Even the clearest memory was hazy around the edges, you'd never confuse it with reality. Yesterday, though... still felt real, it hadn't slipped away yet. Gabby had frowned so much - especially at her. Frankie hadn't expected her to be so - well. Anything. Thoughts of her sister had always belonged to 'one day' and 'the future,' and though she'd never expected it to all be sunshine and smiles, she thought she'd have time to prepare for meeting her. One day. Frankie usually liked surprises, but this one didn't rest very well in her ribcage.

It also wasn't the sort of thing she could keep to herself, now that she knew. Frankie wasn't much one for writing letters, but it seemed the fireplace in the Gryffindor common room was just for warmth, rather than any travel or communication purposes - not that she could figure out anyway. Sending the news by owl was what it would have to be. Her letter didn't say much - actually, it said very little. Frankie hadn't quite known what to say, and words had never come very easily to her when she was trying to scratch them out on paper. But her mother deserved to know, and Frankie... needed someone to lean on. That was unusual too, considering her typical independent nature, but it wasn't something she thought twice about. In moments such as these, however rare they were... she was used to relying on her mother. They were all each other had. Sort of. Would that change, now?

Before Frankie could follow that thought any further - see where her imagination might lead her - she heard the sound of footsteps approaching. It jolted her out of her thoughts and she turned, curiousity getting the best of her as always. Where normally she might have offered a wide smile to anyone who had walked through the door, this time she only blinked in... was it astonishment, or was she really not surprised at all? She had been wanting to talk to Gabby at some point - Frankie supposed this would save her the trouble of trying to find her. "Nah, it's okay," she responded to Gabby's awkward... greeting. "It's not like the world will explode if we exist in the same room, right?" She offered an amused smile before turning back to what she had been doing before she had lapsed too long into thought. "You're obviously sending a letter," she said, turning to look up at the birds above them. "Any particular owl preference?"

The moment felt surreal to Gabriella, and she didn't know where to look. At her sister? The familiar look of her face that looked enough like her own to startle her? It wasn't just her own face she saw reflected, but also the only picture of her mother that she had ever seen in her life. In fact, the resemblance was so strong that she had trouble believing she hadn't immediately recognized Francesca the moment she laid eyes on her in the train compartment. She was ready to turn away and leave the uncomfortable situation when Francesca told her not to. For some reason she stopped and looked at her, though she wasn't sure why she was listening to her. A part of her wanted to flee, but there was a larger part that was... curious. "I suppose it won't." she said slowly as she adjusted her braid. "Yes I am sending a letter, as are you." She said, then a small frown appeared on her face. "I don't mind, as long as it gets my letter to its destination. I can do it myself." For some reason it was important to her that Francesca didn't do things for her that she could do herself. Just because she was the older sister, didn't mean she had to protect Gabriella. She was perfectly capable of solving her own problems.

Frankie watched her sister's face carefully, confident that she was correct in reading the sense of discomfort upon it. It was a new emotion on Gabriella's face, of course, but she recognised it vaguely from the mirror and seeing her mother in those rare moments. Frankie's fingers tapped lightly against the envelope in her hands. She and Mom didn't really talk about the subject these days, but she wondered... would it be a shock? She had been there, Frankie suddenly realised. On the train, as she had hung out the window and waved goodbye, Gabby had been sitting right behind her. Her fingers stopped tapping on the envelope. For the first time in eight years, they had all been together in the same place, and they hadn't even known it. It felt concerningly like a missed opportunity, and she kind of felt like she wanted to... fix that. Frankie chuckled as she listened to Gabby's response. "That's good. Being able to do stuff on your own - it's better than the alternative, right?" She paused slightly at what she was planning to say next, but there was no way she wasn't going to broach the subject. "My letter, it's... to Mom." She smiled down at the envelope before looking up at Gabby again. "You could write something to her, if you wanted, before I send it." She didn't know how her sister would react to the offer, or even if it was a good idea - but somehow she just knew that ignoring the coincidence of their meeting here, now, like this - that was the real bad idea.

The longer Gabriella lingered here, the more uncomfortable she felt. It wasn't jus Francesca, the smell of owls and owl droppings was starting to get to her as well and she felt a little nauseous. Normally she would have rushed in and out of here as quickly as she possibly could have to send her letter, but now she was here in this awkward stalemate. She wasn't sure what the other girl even meant with the alternative, but she didn't question it as she didn't want to look like she didn't get it Francesca may be nearly a year older, but that didn't mean she knew more or could handle herself better. Gabriella had done fine on her own so far. She started when her sister mentioned the letter was to their mother, the mother that had felt alright leaving her behind without so much as a note and picking the other child to live with her. She didn't know why Francesca thought she wanted to write her, and the thought occured to her that she might want to write to their father if she knew Gabriella's letter was for him. Holding her own letter protectively against her chest, she shook her head. "I have nothing to say to her." She said with a frown. "You send your letter and I'll send mine, I think that is for the best." She finally tore her eyes away from her sister and strode purposely to an owl, she started to fumble with the letter as she attempted to attach it to his leg, but her emotions and nerves were making it harder than it should be. She felt like Francesca's gaze on her was making her lose full control of her fingers, and she dropped the envelope before she could attach it to the owl's leg. She grimaced and quickly bent down to pick it up, but she knew their father's name had been visible on the front.

Frankie watched her sister finally make a move towards one of the owls, a small and resigned smile creeping un-noticed across her face. "Oh, that's... well, I guess I can understand where you're coming from." And she... almost could. But not quite. Frankie didn't spend a lot of time thinking about her father, or what he might be like, but she at least knew that she would have something to say to him if she had the chance. How had he been doing all these years? What was his life with Gabby like, and would he still make the same decision today he and mom had made all those years ago? Did he have anything to say to mom - was he happy? Did he ever hope they were happy? The questions rose like a flood, and Frankie lost herself in them for a moment. When she blinked herself back into reality, it was thanks to the sound of Gabby's letter dropping to the floor, and her eyes automatically fixated on the source of the noise.

She was reading the name on the front even before she realised she was doing it - Henry Tillington. Dad. A short exhale of surprised laughter escaped easily from Frankie's mouth. "We had the same idea, huh?" She tapped her own letter against the palm of her hand, then stepped up beside Gabby to begin attaching it to the next owl sitting along, which looked slightly pleased at the attention. "It's a bit much to take in, I guess," she conceded, still trying to work through the slight disappointment she felt that Gabby had declined her offer. "I mean, I'm still a little mind-blown myself. But if ever decided you wanted to," she turned to face her sister, eyes serious even as she smiled, "I'm sure Mom would love to hear from you." Even if Gabby refused again, Frankie wanted her to know the offer was always available - and she knew their mother would agree. She was sure she would. Not only did it feel like the right thing to do, but it was also an offer that she couldn't lie about wanting to receive herself in reverse, if her sister was comfortable with it. Considering how new the situation still was, Frankie decided not to say anything about finally having a real chance to communicate with her father. She did wonder, however, if Gabby had sensed the un-asked question.

This entire exchange made Gabriella feel tense, watched. It was unpleasant, and she wished Francesca would stop talking and let her post her letter. She was at least glad Francesca didn't push the idea of Gabriella writing their mother too much, but she still sounded disappointed. Gabriella bristled at the idea. It wasn't like she wanted to write to the woman who had left her and her father. She knew logically that her father had been as much a part of that decision as her mother had been, but she knew her father and loved him. It was much easier to blame a faceless stranger for the way she grew up without half of her family.

She could tell Francesca had read the name on the letter before the girl even said anything. She held it close and frowned at her, as if this would erase the knowledge about the recipient of the letter from her sister's mind. "It's not a lot to take in. I have been aware of the situation for my entire life. As have you." She said testily as she attached her letter to her owl's leg. "I simply have no interest in contacting her. As far as I'm concerned, she's your mother. Not mine." Her voice was cold, as she hid her conflicting emotions behind her mask of anger and annoyance. It was easier that way. "She had time to hear from me before today." She added, her tone a touch colder still. Francesca needed to start letting things go. Couldn't she sense how much Gabriella didn't want to talk about this? She just wanted to write her father, to cling to a little bit of comforting familiarity. She didn't want to add a stupid little note to Francesca's letter. She could only imagine how that would look. Surely the letter her sister was sending to their mother was familiar, casual, filled with inside jokes. Gabriella's would just sound formal, awkward, stiff. And a selfish part of her just didn't want to share her father. "If you want to write our father. You can do so yourself." She added, decidedly not looking at her sister. She hoped the girl wouldn't. But if she did, at least she wouldn't be using Gabriella's own letter as a vehicle.

After fumbling for a few more moments, she finally managed to attach her letter. She released the owl quickly, before Francesca could needle her about adding a note to their father. Now, perhaps, she could get out of her. She adjusted her hair in a nervous gesture, though she made sure to look calm and collected. "I don't know about you, but I don't enjoy the smell of owl droppings. I'll be taking my leave." She said, her voice stiff. "Thank you for the offer, but I'm afraid it will be best if we keep things the way they are. Just because we happen to be in the same school, doesn't mean our family is going to be whole again. I'm happy to make your acquaintance, but this doesn't change anything. Not truly." She cleared her throat. "I will see you during lessons, I imagine."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back