Oh Mother..

Lynette Ferguson

OOC First Name
Claireyz
Wand
Apple Wand 13 1/2" Essence of Belladonna
Lynette hurriedly jumped the spiral stairs two at a time to the owlery, in the hope that she'd find some interesting mail for her, and as she made it to the door, an owl swooped in through the big open window with a fawn coloured letter in it's curved beak, stamped with a red seal. And it was adressed to her! Lynny grinned as she grabbed the letter and eagerly pulled open the envelope to find her first letter from - Her Mother. Lynette laughed as she began to read.

</FONT>
Dear Lynette,
I hope you're getting on just fine at Hogwarts. Your father doesn't want to admit it, but I can tell he's really missing you, as am I and your brother. Are you having fun? Have you made any friends yet? I'm sure you will have, you're such a charming young lady, I expect everybody loves you!
I made you a chicken casserole today, and then I remembered you weren't here. I wanted to post it to you but I guess it would be a little old by the time it got to you. I know it's your favourite, can you smell it?
How're lessons? I know you've only been there for a day but I'm sure you're top of your class already, I would expect no less! But don't worry, I do try not to nag you sweetheart but I only want what's best for you, and you're going to have such a good education at Hogwarts, like I did.
I'm missing you so much, have you been missing me?
Love,
Dawn xxx

Lynette chuckled softly as she finished reading. Her Mother needed to let go a bit, but she certainly did make her smile, so she forgave her for being such a nagging mother anyway. Reaching for a quill and a piece of parchment, Lynette wrote back.

</SIZE>
Hi Mother,
Of course I've been missing you, silly. It is so great here though, and I have made a new friend. I don't think they all like me though, I'm not that important.
You made chicken casserole? Without me there? How dare you! Stick some in the freezer and it might still be alright when I get home. I'm only teasing, Mother.
Tell Father and my brother I'm missing them too, and give them hugs for me.
I'll do my best in classes.
Love,
Lynette xxx
<SIZE size="50"><FONT font="verdana">

Then she placed her letter in an envelope and sent the owl on it's way, watching it fly out of sight over the hills. And at that moment, Lynny felt trapped inside Hogwarts. She needed to get out. Turning around, Lynette forcefully opened the door, just to crash straight into somebody. She gasped, quickly looking at who it was, and not recognizing them. That just made it even worse. 'I'm sorry', she gabbled quickly, wondering if she'd hurt them. Why'd I have to be so clumsy? She asked herself with an inward sigh.

Lessons were to be starting soon, however there were just a few more days of the holidays before then and Janey still didn't know her way around the school. She had been looking forward to joining Hogwarts ever since she'd been seven years old, however now that she was here, she couldn't help but feel a little lost by so many new things.

She had been teaching her friend how to master the light spell, however after an unusual occurance, Janey wanted to make sure she was teaching it right. She didn't want Poppy to make something into a mess because Janey had told her wrong.

Dressed in her Gryffindor robes Janey set off to the owlery to write a quick message to Raffael. He taught her how to do the spell, and Janey hoped he could help her. As she reached down for the cold dark stone door handle of the owlery, she felt the pressure being taken from her, and as a gust of wind blew her fringe over her eyes, the door opened in front of her and an incoming student pushed her way past.

Janey took a step back for a moment, pushing her hair away again before looking at the student that had walked into her. "It's you" she said simply, recognising the girl from the shop.

As the girl spoke, Lynette suddenly realized who she was, and it seemed she had done the same. 'Hey!', she replied, slight enthusiam in her voice, though she tried to hide the most of it, as not to come across as too exciteable. Lynny seemed to be over-the-top unless she controlled herself, which took much concentration and annoyed her. She would have loved to have been able to speak without thinking carefully about each word.

The girl was the one that Lynette had met in Madam Malkin's, who had sold her the very Ravenclaw robes she was wearing now, and she was pleased to see a recognizable face in the castle. She already knew a few people, but she rarely came across them in such a big place, and the more people she knew, the better. Tucking her hair behind her ear, Lynny wasn't sure whether to hold her hand out, or if that was far too formal for first years, and so she kept her hands by her sides and smiled instead. 'You're in Gryffindor, yeah?', she gabbled, not really from memory but from her robes, though she pretended she hadn't noticed them. Truthfully, her memory was as bad as a goldfish, but she'd never let that on to anybody.

She had straightened herself out, and checked her wand was still in her pocket, and looked up to the face she'd bumped into. "Sorry" she said. Janey smiled at the girl whom she reocgnised. "Yes that's right" she said, remembering she too was a first year. Janey had felt a little bad last time they'd met, and she planned to make up for it now. "Sorry I couldn't properly introduce myself before" she started, "I'm Janey Pascot. First Year Gryffindor." she said, wondering if the girl would also tell her her name. Janey looked around her, and dispite her hatred for small talk, she wasn't sure what else to do.

"Nice place isn't it" she said, referring to the building. She hadn't had much of a chance to explore yet, but she would, all in good time. "I think we have lessons together at some point" she added, hoping the girls would be able to be better aquainted. She had already met a good handful of people here, but it didn't hurt to know more.

Lynette felt there was no need for Janey to apologize, as she had been the one charging out of the room, but she smiled, grateful she wasn't particularily angry about it, or at least wasn't showing her feelings. 'I'm Lynette, first year Ravenclaw', she replied quietly, listening to Janey and wishing she had the confidence to be so bold and eager to talk to new people. She wanted to leave it at that, but she kept talking, and being polite, Lynette wanted to stay and chat. She nodded, not trusting herself to speak, and when she finally managed to say something, it was a very short sentance. 'That's great!', She smiled, hiding most of her excitement about this fact. She was already looking forward to having a lesson with Janey, simply because she hadn't ignored her, whereas most people had. She'd got along very well with quite a few people, in fact, but Lynette put that down to their kind personalities, deciding that they were probably only pretending to be nice. Janey seemed different though, as though she had a genuine interest in Lynette, which made her glow. She looked down at her school robes, wondering whether to bring up their meeting there, but she kept quiet about it. 'I'm looking forward to lessons', she mumbled, a nervous smile apon her face as she looked at Janey.

Janey nodded. "Did you know about Hogwarts before you came here?" She asked Lynette. She'd met people who had, people who hadn't, and you couldn't really tell unless you asked. Janey didn't care like some people about blood status, but it did let her know how much that person already knew about the magical world.

She remembered she needed to write a letter to her brother, and that standing in the hallway with Lynette was probably annoying her. She had places to be afterall. "Excuse me" she said, and slipped past the Ravenclaw into the Owlery. There was no mail for her, although she didn't mind. She'd not been here long and it was a letter out that she'd come for. Taking a fresh piece of parchment and a quill, she began to scribble a letter to her older brother.

Yes. Sorry', Lynette replied softly as she swiftly darted out of Janey's way to let her into the owlery. She followed her back in, and it had seemed a life time ago she'd recieved her letter already. She wondered if Janey had known too, but she wanted to think of her own questions to ask. 'I found out when I was 10. How old were you?', She asked, thinking she'd come up with a clever idea asking that.

Lynette nosily peered over Janey's shoulder to see what she was writing, but she then backed away quickly in case she'd noticed. She hadn't been able to read it anyway, and Lynette was starting to think she'd need glasses at this rate, which was obviously something she wasn't happy to think about. At least she'd then be able to read, anyway. Her short-sightedness was really starting to annoy her, to say the least, and when lessons started, she'd be in trouble. Suddenly regretting not telling her Mother about her eyes before she'd attended Hogwarts, Lynette stood patiently behind Janey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back