Oh look people

Saffron Ironsong

OOC First Name
Ana,na,na
Wand
Birch Wand 14 1/4 essence of dragonstone
Saffron quickly found the place that she was going to be spending a lot of time in. The books in the library where plentiful and informative. She had already run through her school books and the extra ones that she had bought for a bit of background reading. She was sitting behind a wall of books, her green hair the only sign that there was actually something there, whether it was a person or a plant was up to anyone who came close. That and the cloak she wore. Though class hadn't really started Saffron was in full uniform right down to the mary jane shoes. The only thing that wasn't school issue was her cloak which was black with silver threading along the cuffs. The skull in the middle of her back was also embroidered in the same silver thread. Saffron didn't own anything that would be called regular clothes because of where she came from. In the school that she was going to go to before Hogwarts there was no such thing as a dress down day. Saffron found it weird that there was something like that here but she could say little about it. This was her home now whether she felt comfortable here or not. Liking it was another matter.

Saffron was still making up her mind. So far she had been left pretty much alone which was fine by her not being overly fond of social situations. She was eager for classes to start so that she could gadge her teachers and what it was that they where meant to learn though it all seemed vastly fascinating. The food was good and the books again where many. Over all the building was nice. Saffron's bangs dripped down around her face as her eye slid over the words on the pages before her. She completely absorbed in the book she was holding which was about dragons more over how to care for them. Before this she had been reading about Hogwarts and this extension of the school. She could understand why the founders felt there was a need to separate the students they wanted to teach but she couldn't understand why those that came after them would want to keep up the tradition. Someone could be bold, intelligent, hardworking, and cleaver all at once. Still she was placed in Slytherin and was determined to do her best. She finished with the chapter on the different types of eggs and continued on to scale rot which sounded nasty sighing contently.

Normally, Olivia couldn't be found anywhere near a library. She liked to tell her mother that she was allergic to books. Be that as it may, she figured she better visit the library at least once during her seven years at the school. It didn't hurt to know an escape route if she needed one.

Even for a girl as little-read as Olivia, she did admit that the sheer size of the library was impressive. She passed through the aisles, her hands in her robes, ignoring the hundreds upon hundreds of tomes and titles. She stopped when her eyes fell upon a weird plant. When she moved to get a closer look, however, she realized the green tufts belonged to a girl about her age.

"Did you dye your hair like that to match your house colors?" Olivia couldn't help but ask. She'd never had much of a filter.

Saffron looked up at the girl who had talked to her. Her strangely yellow eyes held no anger or malice as she studied the child. Gryffendor, according to her robes but seemed as likely to put her foot in her mouth as herself. "Not really. I've had my hair green for the last two weeks. Now that I'm at school I can use the hair changing spell my mother gave me." She responded as if she had a conversation like this everyday. Saffron bent the little corner of page she was on and folded it up. It seemed like she as going to be here a while. The girl looked as if she would rather be out of doors, something which Saffron was not against really she just didn't see much use in it. She wanted to explore the gardens though to see if they had anything like Venus Fly Traps and Snap Dragons as she knew them or as they where normally defined. "You where at sorting where you not?" She asked trying to place her face. She had seen the girl before she knew she had but placing her was the issue. Not that she had payed much attention to those around her. She was busy trying to be as invisible as possible before her name was called.

"Saffron" She said offering the girl her slightly ink stained hand. "Happy to get to know someone I guess." She added though it seemed like she wasn't all that happy at all. There was nothing wrong with Olivia herself it was just that she still wasn't used to it. She tried to smile but found that her mouth didn't know the movements too well so she gave up and hoped that the girl would understand.

OOCOut of Character:
Hope you don't mind the short posts, Ana, I rarely write more than a paragraph or two.

"You know a hair-changing spell?!" Not that Olivia was a girly girly or anything, but it would be sweet to go home for the holidays with rainbow locks. "What is it?" She couldn't really cast any spells yet, but it didn't hurt to start learning the words ahead of time.

Olivia nodded at the girl and grinned. "Yep, I'm Olivia. Gryffindor, though you can probably see that already." She noticed the dark splotches on Saffron's hand, yet took it without hesitation. Olivia wondered where the stains came from.

Saffron shook her hand and shook it twice. "Well you already know that it's a color changing spell. You take your wand." Saffron takes her wand out of the pocket on her cloak and pointed it a lock of the Olivia's hair. "Then flick and say Pingo and the color that you want your hair to be. Like this Pingo Vermilion as she said the last part Saffron flicked her wand as if she wanted to get rid of something of the end of it. Saffron expected at that moment that single strand of Olivia's hair was a deep vibrant red. To her dismay nothing happened. Did I fizzle out? she wondered. You have to be very clear on what you want though. You can't just say something like red or green or the spell won't work. If you want to do it yourself you have to consult a color wheel. Saffron added. That was what she had to do to get her hair the way she wanted it because she didn't know all the shades in the world. She noted at once that she had stained Olivia's hand when she shook it and gave a small half smile. "It seems that I've marked you." She said pointing down.

OOCOut of Character:
It's cool we can work out reactions better this way.

Olivia's mouth fell open a few millimeters when a piece of her hair turned red. She grabbed another brown strand and tried to change it herself, but no luck. The slightest twinge of envy tickled her brain, though it passed quickly. It looked like she had to practice. "Thanks! Where do you get a color wheel?"

So now Olivia's palm was stained, too. "Hey, as long as you're not marking your territory, no big deal!"

Saffron saw how impressed Olivia was and couldn't help but smirk. "Don't look so awed. That's about all I can do for now and it only works on hair by the way. I can't wait for classes to start so I can learn more. I've already got the light spell down too but that's only useful if you read in the dark." She said looking at the book that was still in her other hand. When she saw that Olivia was trying to do the spell herself Saffron decided that she liked the girl. Maybe fitting in wasn't going to be as hard as she thought. "An art store?" Saffron asked with a bit of sarcasm in her voice. She didn't mean it in a mean way but it really should have been obvious. She laughs lightly when she hears the territory comment. "I don't think a person would be territory. I had to pick up my ink jar when I bumped into this Slytherin girl that seemed like she could trip on air. Didn't bother to wash my hands afterwards. Didn't expect to be meeting anyone honestly." She said. Saffron took out a tissue from her picket and started to rub at one of the ink stains only to make it worse.

Olivia was supposed to know the light spell. Wasn't it Lumox or Nox or something? Oh well, they'd probably teach it in class. There was a reason she didn't belong in Ravenclaw. She shrugged. "So this wheel thing has the spell names for colors, too?" She wondered what she would have to say to turn her hair blue. And wasn't Saffron a color?

The Gryffindor tilted her head to the side. "But wouldn't that stain your book?" Not that Olivia cared if a book got a little roughed up. She'd argue that it gave the thing character. Either way, she liked Saffron's style. Any girl who could handle muck and dirt was alright by her.

Saffron had always worked very hard when it came to her studies. She had wondered if hat had seen this in her but still put her in Slytherin. Then again Slytherin had to work hard too it was just for different reason. Saffron let the thought go shook her head. "Not spell names. Shade names you have to be spasific or you might end up with an ugly mustard yellow or something." Saffron said nodding. She somewhat suspected that her mother had said this to her because Saffron had not yet developed the visualization skills to work a spell like this but that didn't bring Saffron down in the least if anything it made her want to learn how to do it so she didn't have to be so detailed. Then again she probably would be anyway. "The mark was only on my palm... before this." She showed Olivia the slightly stained napkin and the ever growing stain on her hand.

Olivia nodded. "Hope it's not permanent! Then we'd have to call you Ink Stain." She grinned at Saffron, then measured up the bookshelf in front of her. They were about eleven shelves high. Without a word, she climbed the first shelf, then stepped up the second, then to the third. Really, they were just like the rungs on a ladder, except ladders were for scaredy cats and brainiacs.

Saffron decided that she was going to have to wash her hand to take the stain off. With a shrug she watched Olivia climb the bookshelves. "I will not be responsible for what happens if you fall." She warned as she tilted her head up to keep track of the girl. Saffron didn't mean that she wouldn't take her to the hospital wing if the girl where to crack her skull open but she wouldn't take any blame or say that she was involved in any way. Saffron was not the type to do so.

"Note taken." Olivia's hands reached the eighth shelf when she noticed a book. It had no title, but the spine was frayed, about to split from its insides. Yanking it off the shelf, she tossed it down, careful to avoid Saffron, of course. It landed in the aisle with a thud. "What's that one about, Ink Stain?" Olivia climbed higher.

Saffron scrambled for the book before too much damage was done to it then cradled it in her hands as if it had been a baby bird that had been thrown from it's nest. "It's already had some damage done to it the book doesn't need you wreaking it further." She said hugging close to her before carefully opening the book to see what was in it. She actually managed a smile this time. It was small and a little weak but still a smile. "It's a book on love spells. I bet I could make a bit of a business selling these to gullible girls." She said knowing that spells like these never worked and the only reason they seemed to was because the boy or girl in question already liked them in the first place. Not like the potions that where correlated to them. Saffron shivered as she remembered what her brother had been through when a girl had made him obsessed with her.

Olivia spat in disgust. "Love? Blech!" She had to contain a laugh at Saffron's reaction, though. Some people were so serious when it came to books. The Gryffindor pulled herself onto the eleventh shelf and clambered onto the top of the bookcase. She planted her backside there, looking down at the Slytherin.

"You should sell them," Olivia agreed. No harm making a living off of silly girly girls.

Saffron echoed Olivia's reaction to love. It wasn't in the nearest thing in the eleven year old's mind. She just didn't see the point in trying to find a partner when there where so many other things to do. Read for a one, catching up with classes, work on wand movements, explore the grounds. Anything and everything was better than running around like a hormone crazed chicken. Saffron nodded not even looking up at the Gryffendor whom was obviously not going to listen to her to get down. Best leave her up there for the Liberian to scold or remove points from. "I think I will. There are some good ones here that girls will buy will work especially if their older." She commented as she turned the page and scanned yet another nosietingly sweet and flowery passage.

"Do it! Charge them a galleon for a spell! You'll be rich in no time." Olivia swung her legs, absentmindedly kicking the bookcase as she did so. It was a wonder she hadn't been thrown in detention yet with all the ruckus she was making. A book on the top shelf shuddered angrily. She reached down and picked it up. It tried to attack her, the cover flapping like it wanted to bite her. She hugged it tight and held it to her chest. "Bad book. Any more sass out of you, and you're taking a trip to the toilets."

Saffron gave a snort like laugh when she saw the book. "Looks like you've insulted one of the residents of the library." She said clearly amused by the fact that the book was trying to defend itself. She tucked the love spell book on the stack of books that she wanted to check out. She was stunned herself that the young Gryffendor had not been thrown out too but with the other students in the library she wasn't all that surprised that the librarian had been to busy to come and reprement Olivia for climbing the shelves. Or maybe it wasn't the worst thing one could do in the library.

"Hah, you snorted!" Olivia laughed, too. She let the book go, and it flopped out of her hands, scuttling across the shelf and moving as far away as it could from the Gryffindor. Which made her giggle even more. Books weren't as bad as she'd thought. When they weren't just sitting around and expecting you to read them, of course.

"Guess he doesn't wanna be friends."

"I dare you to prove it." She challenged though there was a slight grin in the corner of her mouth. She watched the book scuttle away and shook her head. She had heard that some of the books where animated. I'm guessing that some charms student let an assignment around. Now I'm excited to take Charms." She said her mind going into what she could do with something like that. If she could make books come to life what else could she make happen with that particular skill. "It's better than it declaring you it's enemy. Maybe gather a few of it's moving book friends." She said that small half grin back.

Olivia stuck her tongue out at Saffron. "Nah, that'd be too much work... All that matters is that I know." She nodded. If she could make something as dull as a book come to life, then she might enjoy her classes after all.

The Gryffindor crawled across the top of the shelf. She wanted to see if the book would jump to its death. Then she got onto her feet carefully, tiptoeing towards the edge with her arms splayed like a tightrope walker. "Maybe it'll send an army of books after me," she agreed. "Oh, the horror!"

Saffron lined herself up with the book and gestured for it to jump down. The book indeed took the jump into hands. She petted the back of it like a pet and it settled into her hands. "Think Repzion would be jelouse if I had a pet book? Repzion is my cat by the way." She said thinking of how the kitten reacted to the other cats in the dorm, by hiding under her bed until she came back from classes. She looked up at Olivia again and watched her do a bit of balancing act on top of the bookshelf. "I think your parents sent you the wrong school Olivia, I think you should have been sent to clown school." She said but was impressed with the girl's sense of balance.

Daniel walks into the library, with his hands shoved into his pockets. He looks all over the area, not really looking for anything specific. He only had entertainment in mind. After a while of aimlessly wandering, his gaze comes across the two students, who seemed his age. Grining for a second, he approaches the two.

"S'cuse me, do you happen to have a book to recommend? I'm a bit puzzled."

He'd observe the whacky girl doing her balance act, but would then focus on the other girl, with the funny color for her hair.

"Your cat may not be jealous, but he'll definitely try to kill the book if it moves." Olivia grinned. She liked cats. You never knew when they were going to pounce. She looked over her shoulder, wondering if she jumped off the bookshelf if she could twist her body like a cat's and land on her feet. She would've tried it had not someone new come along.

The Gryffindor would've told Saffron her mother said the same thing, but she let it go. Olivia glanced down at the boy and made a face like she'd sucked on a lemon drop. "I'd be puzzled if I were you, too... I've never met a good book in my life!"

Yeah that sounded like Repzion. Saffron nodded and tucked the walking book under her arm as she watched Olivia She could almost see the girl thinking and was getting ready to maybe provide a cushion of books when another person came on the the scene. He was a Hufflepuff, judging by his clothes and remembering him vaguely from sorting. Her cold impassive eyes scanned him and knew that there was something about him that wasn't quite right. that wasn't going to stop either of them from talking. "That would depend, on what you are looking for. Anything truly nasty is in the restricted section which I would be vastly entertained by any frist year trying to get in." She said though her voice didn't sound 'vastly entertained' at all.

She tugged at one of her forest green bangs and let the book on the table so it could open and hiss. She was sure that she was going to have to tuck it away eventually but for now she was mildly entertained by it. She decided that if Olivia did anything like jump off the top of the book cases she would push Crawford in her way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back