O'Brien residence

Maeve Silverback

Maeve loved being home...it was strange really...people thought her family was very strange...and this was muggles thnking muggles were strange, in other words normality! She alighted from her car and looked out over the vast landscaped gardens. She had 2 sister and 4 brothers, out of all of these only her brother Patrick and herself were magical. Her parents had accepted it the way they accepted in the stray animals to their animal sanctuary, without complaint.
She turned around to face their huge tumbled down house, her siblings lived here still, as she and Giovanni did with Andromeda. Her parents had never saw the point of any of them living any where else when there was so much room here. All her siblings, their spouses and children...living in relative harmony under one roof. She thought she might take a stroll over to the farm later, to see how the animal sanctuary was doing. For now, she would go in and freshen up...a trip to Daigon alley always left her feeling exhausted.

"Mom, is it ok if I go down to the lake with Dad...I have my broom!" Andromeda scoured the living room for her mother, she could have sworn she heard her come in, then again it could have been one of a dozen people, you just didn't know in this house...
'but that isn't really true is it?' she thought to herself, she always had a sence about people, the bond between herself and her mother was very strong, she supposed it was because of Callista but she hoped it was more than that. She went in search of her father...the tall brooding man who called her the apple of his eye. Lately her father was taking to behaving strangely, it had started when they had gone shopping for supplies for Hogwarts. She shook her head of all people she trusted in this world Giovanni Fiorelli was top of the list!
"Dad!" she called out, "I can't find her..."

Giovanni walked in, a figure larger than life to this little girl. He scooped her into a bear hug, then ruffling her curly head of hair, he took her broom from her.
"Come on then, lets go before she gets back!" he nudged his daughter in the direction of the lake, "If she catches me teaching you, she will kill me!" he laughed a big roaring guffaw of a laugh that was so infectious to those around him.

They strolled peacefully hand in hand over the front lawn, the silence was amiable, accentuated by the birds song in the distant trees, the barking of the many dogs over at the sanctuary and the mewing of many, many cats.
"It gets noisier and noisier everytime..." he looked at his daughter for confirmation that he wasn't becoming an old cynic.

Andromeda was thrilled to be in her fathers company, she loved him dearly.
She let go of his hand and started running with her broom..she turned calling back to him;
"come on...catch up! There's no one around now!" and with that she sat astride her broom, said the flying spell and took off ...she never went more than 3 ft off the ground but her speed was beginning to improve. She laughed as they circled the lake together. She'd miss this terribly when she went to Hogwarts.

A few days later...
...Maeve arrived home earlier than expected, she found her mother and explained that it was best with Andromeda attending HNZ that they move back to the wizarding community, it seemed to make sense and it was what Giovanni wanted. She sighed, her mother of course didn't argue but made her promise that Andromeda would come to visit often. Maeve hugged her mother, she would miss her, indeed she would miss this house, her family. But, it really did seem the more sensible option, herself and Giovanni had argued long into the night about it, she had refused blatantly first until finally they compromised ...they would move back but would stay at The Gables with Essie. Giovanni didn't like her much, but he agreed eventually.
Maeve walked to her room and slowly began packing their things...he had changed so much lately, if she were to think really hard about it she would have to say, it was when Andromeda got her letter from HNZ. Maeve went to a drawer and pulled it out, she removed her wand from its oak and gold encrusted case and held it lovingly in her hands...
"Hello old friend, looks like I'll be needing you again!" she smiled, gliding it through the air gracefully.

"Maeve!! Maeve!" her mother called from downstairs...she placed her wand back inside its case in her drawer and ever so gently closed it before going down to her mother.

Maeve entered the kitchen, very big and very traditional...with massive oak dressers and presses, the aga and large table. That's where her mother was now, kneading dough. Andromeda stood smiling beside her, Giovanni with his hands on Andromeda's shoulders smiling at her.
"What's going on?"

Andromeda was beaming from ear to ear. Unable to contain her childish delight and enthuasiasm she blurted it out, as her father tried placing his hands infront of her mouth in a vain attempt to stop her.
"Daddy is taking you out tonight!"She giggled and waited to see her mothers delight, what she got was her mother looking quizzically at her father. She called him to follow her out of the room.
Andromeda watched them leave, she turned to her Nana, propping her hands on the large table.
"Did I do something wrong?"

"No, love it wasn't you! she said smilingly at her granddaughter, "grown-ups can be very silly and well, I suppose magical grown-ups are just the same! now why don't you go up and start packing your things together!"

Andromeda looked quizzically at her grandmother, "I'm nearly all packed for HNZ but I don't need to be fully packed just yet!"

Her grandmother raised her eyes to heaven and swore quietly. The least those two could have done while they were out with her earlier was to have told Andromeda. She turned to her granddaughter now, wiping her hands on her apron.
"You and your mom And dad wil be going to live in the magical world for the duration of your time at Hogwarts. Of course you'll be coming back to visit us often, but your parents thought it would be easier."

Andromeda thought it over, she knew it made sense and though the idea of living in a world where magic was the norm was very appealing indeed, she looked at her grandmother and felt such an empty feeling. She hugged her grandmother tightly, with all the force her little heart could muster.
"I love you Nana," with that she ran upstairs to her room, passing her parents room where raised voices could be heard.

Maeve stomped about their bedroom like someone possessed, Giovanni had gone to spend time alone. She went to her dresser and took out the case, then removed her wand from it, she pointed at the door "cul-loh-POR-tus " she called loudly. Satisfied a little, she looked about her room. She had forgotten how good it felt to use magic for everyday things, she opened the suitcase that was on their bed, then went to her wardrobe. "loh-koh-MOH-tor-clothes" she called, a smile now played on her lips, this felt really good! Within a half hour, all their belongings were packed into three cases, everything but the clothes she was wearing, her makeup and the dress she had left out for their date! She looked at it now hanging over the full length mirror, long black and floating with gossamar thin straps. Her forrest green passhmina lay on the bed and her black evening slippers on the floor. Why was she even bothering to make an effort, she thought sullenly, as she sat down at her dresser and slowly applied her makeup.

Later the next day...

Esmerelda walked to the house..it had been a long time since she had had anything to do with muggles...she certainly didn't envy herself this job. She pulled herself up to her full height and walked the up the long drive way.

Giovanni had been found dead outside the Leaky Cauldron, they had said it was merely from the blast of the fire...somehow, Essie didn't think so. It didn't fit, it simply didn't fit! She approached the front door, a member from the ministry walked with her looking ridiculous she thought in muggle clothing. She knocked at the door and waited. Andromeda came flying out the door with a smile that quickly faded when she saw who was standing there.

"Can we come in Andromeda?"

Andromeda recognised the woman from the Leaky Cauldron the other day.
"Sure, but Mom and Dad arent here!" she stepped back to let them in, her grandmother walked over to greet them. Politely she ushered them into sitting room, asking Andromeda to wait outside.

She paced back and forth, up and down the hall way waiting, the voices were muffled but she was convinced she had heard her grandmother cry. The door was too thick to make anything out properly. It seemed like ages absolutely ages. When finally the door opened and Esmerelda Smickett and the strange looking man emerged with her grandmother.
"I'll tell her myself, I'll make sure she's ready..." with that she showed them to the door.
Esmerelda stopped and looked at Andromeda then turned and walked back down the drive way with her companion.

She looked at her grandmother, "What was all that about?"
"Come in child, come in and sit down!" her grandmother held her hand tightly, as she told her about a fire breaking out at the pub where her mother and father were. The lady and gentleman were surprised to learn that Andromeda's mother had been there also, no one had seen anything, no one was speaking about the event. The only thing that was for certain was that a body had been found, obviously trying to get out but not in time. Nana O'Brien's heart broke as she told her granddaughter that it had been her fathers body that was found.

Andromeda heard the words, saw them even, but could not believe them.
"No! No!NO!" she shouted, she ran from the room and took the steps two at a time to her bedroom. She heard other voices downstairs but she knew they weren't the ones that mattered anymore. Dead, her wonderful, brilliant father was dead?! And her mother..what had happened to her mother? It was supposed to have been the best time of her life starting school...now she didnt even want to think about it.
She lay sobbing into her pillow quietly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back