Now, What To Read?

Penelope Fournier

Wand
Beech Wand 14 1/4" Essence of Pixie Hair
Penelope had a smile on her face as she walked to the library. She always did when she was near books. She was walking through the fourth floor corridor. She tripped over her foot and fell on her face. There was no damage done, although her face was a lot redder than usual when she got back up. She quickly went in to the library, hoping everyone would forget about her trip. She covered her face with her hair until she was sure that her face had returned to its normal tone.

Penelope started looking around. "I wish I knew where to look," she said to herself. "I don't even know what to read about. Hogwarts? History? I don't feel like just taking a random book..." She sighed. There were so many books. Yet she couldn't just pick one. She took a seat at a table, stumped. She hoped that someone would be able to help her. She noticed a girl nearby who looked like she was a first year as well. She walked over to the girl with a shy smile on her face. "Hi, I'm Penelope Fournier," she said. "I'm looking for book recommendations. Do you have any?"

Sureya had gone straight from her class to the library in order to start her assignment. She had watched some of the older students simply waving their wands to get some books down and wondered would she ever end up being that lazy when it was perfectly fine to reach for a book. Of course if they were out of reach altogether that was a different matter entirely.

This was now her third day in the library she was on first name terms with two of the librarians already and knew just about where most books were held, so once she had gotten her own selection down from their respective shelves she walked slowly towards a table when a voice halted her travels.

"Hi Penelope" she beamed at the girl, delighted that someone had simply begun speaking to her on a whim, "I'm Sureya Eidos."
She became thoughtful for a moment as she scanned the shelves behind them.
"I guess it all depends on the type of books you like? Is it a book for studying or just for reading?"

"Nice to meet you, Sureya," Penelope said. "Just for reading. For fun, I mean. I really have no clue what to read. Which is new. Because normally I can come up with a lot of different things to read. I just don't feel like picking a random one is fair because there are different sections here so I might like a different section better. I know, it's odd."

She told herself not to talk so much. Nobody liked a chatterbox. People would just tell her to be quiet or walk away. And that would be embarrassing. "Sorry, a little talkative, okay, a lot," she said, explaining. "Feel free to tell me to be quiet if I'm being too much of a talker, okay?"

Penelope took a quick look at the books the girl had gotten from the shelves. It looked like she was doing something for a class. Maybe she had interrupted. All because she needed something to read for fun. She knew how fast inspiration could slip away. She told herself to relax and that Sureya would have told her that she needed to work on something important instead of stopping to help her out.

As the girl began to speak Sureya's eyes widened, the only other person besides herself who she knew could speak so fast and not stop for air was her bestfriend Sharon, miles away now in England. She could not help but smile and that smile only grew with every word that the girl spoke.

"Please don't apologize for speaking, I love it" she grinned at her, "I tend to talk really fast myself and have been known to waffle for forever. My parents are always threatening that they'll put the 'silencio' on me".
She continued to smile but had now moved so that she was looking up and down at the rows of shelves until she pulled down a small green book. Scanning the binding she passed it to Penelope before bending down and taking another book, this time it was slightly bigger and looked extremely worn.

"These are two great reads, one is all about a dragon slayer with a hint of romance thrown in for effect but it's based on the true story of Garulous the Mighty. The infamous dragon slayer of the 17th century and this one..." she tapped the green one, "that's just a really sweet story about best friends and how they never let anything interfere with their friendship."

She grinned again looking at Penelope.
"My dad used to read the first one to me when I was younger, it was only when I started reading it for myself that I discovered he had left out all the romantic chapters. He thought I was much too young to hear about that type of thing." she chuckled lightly recalling her fathers face when she had queried his reasons for skipping complete chapters of the book. She had for years thought there had been massive gaps in the story but now knew otherwise.

Penelope smiled a little wider. "Okay," she said. "Heh, that's good. Because some people just get really annoyed by me and that's never good. I actually like to hear people talk like me. Quickly and a lot at a time. Sometimes people don't make out what I'm saying. If I'm really excited then I go on and on really quickly."

This time she didn't even try to slow down or say less. It was kind of a habit, and if Sureya was okay with it then she would talk as she felt she was supposed to. Penelope took the books that were handed to her.

"A dragon slayer... that would be interesting," she said. "So would the other... Hmm, I'll try both. Not at the same time of course." She giggled a little at that story. "Well, I can understand why." Penelope looked at the green book. "I'll try this one first, I think. Thanks."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back