Not remotely

Albine Frost

OOC First Name
Beth
Sexual Orientation
Homosexual
Wand
Knotted 10 Inch Rigid Cedar Wand with Erumpent Hide Core
January. What was to be said for the weather but the parting, grey-tinted clouds in the sky obscuring the sun, and the vast patches of blue that peeked from behind. It was a reasonable day. Not many people were out and wandering the streets, which made it a prime shopping day for Albine and her elder brother Kaspar.
The two had moved over to New Zealand only three years previous, but Albine, who had learnt English back at her primary school in Belgium, was already a fluent speaker, though her accent was thick as ever.
The pair passed dressed windows, staring in at the wares as they walked, a drink clasped firmly in Albine's hand.
And then, it wasn't.
The flimsy cup crashed to the floor, spraying its contents across the dusty ground, draining towards Albine, filling the leaky soles of her shoes.
The girl turned to her brother, whose careless elbow had swung out at just the wrong moment, and swore loudly at him in her native tongue. "What on earth are you doing? Do you think that's a good idea with all your.. You.. Gesticulating? I knew this would happen if I bought a drink and wore these stupid **** trainers!"
The siblings bickered for several minutes, over whose fault it was, over the spilt drink, over the ruined shoes, until, at last, it came to a halt. The pair concluded that they would need new shoes for Albine, and that they would just stop off somewhere for a fresh drink afterwards. Ultimately, they concluded it was both of their faults, though neither were truly willing to accept this idea.

Approaching the inner depths of the twisting turning street, Albine eventually sighted a shoe shop, diving to the window ahead of her slow-paced brother, beaming in at the wares: Racks of every colour shoe, every design, from weird to wonderful, all neatly floating and standing along the display racks. She already had some idea of what she wanted, but before she could enter the shop, she had to wait for her big brother, who was taking his time.
"Come on!" she called back to him eagerly, "Shoes! Shoe time! We need to go in- now!"

Geo wasn't quite sure what to think after stepping out from Flourish and Blotts. She was amazed at the content of the store, not just the books but also the people. When the time finally came that she would be attending Hogwarts, Geo would definitely be keeping an eye out for the older students. With a book tucked under her arm, she continued her spree, curious at to what else the village had to offer. Anything she could do now to improve her chances of acedmic success she would, as she began to realise there would be only one job suitable for her when she was older. Daniel had been right the whole time, and she'd have to write to him soon to let him know.

As Geovanna walked down the cobbled street of Obsidian Harbour, glancing through the windows at the merchandise that had been hidden from her as a young child, her attention was diverted by someone yelling loudly in the street nearby. She tried not to turn her head, nor make it obvious she was listening, not that she could understand at all what was being said in another language, but Geo listened intently nevertheless as to what was causing all the commotion.

A few moments passed before she eventually and discreetly redirected her eyes, and they came into contact with a tall dark haired man. Geo's heart skipped a beat, if anything he looked like an older version of Graeme, and everyone knew how she felt about him. While still unable to understand the conversation, Geo casually wandered closer to the man and the girl he was talking to. Hopefully she was his sister or daughter, given the age gap. Although she too had beautifully chiselled features like the elder. Not wanting to be too obvious, she had a sudden interest in the shoes in the window store that the pair were looking into. Her dark blue eyes darting up to see the couple every now and then, hoping they'd speak in a tongue she'd understand.

Kaspar loathed arguments with his sister; she was so loud and quick to cuss. Still, she was his responsibility for the day (thanks to their parents' request that she find some school supplies, and he find a job), and therefore he had to do his best not to retort when she behaved in a manner as this. Although he did 'highlight' a few minor points about her attitude, and perhaps in a less mature manner than usual.
Eventually, the siblings came to the agreement of new shoes- something that Kaspar had been asked to buy anyway, but he was not going to let on to his sister about that. So, now that the situation had calmed considerably, Kaspar allowed himself five minutes of a slower pace as his little sister rushed on ahead to gaze longingly at the many pairs of shoes displayed in the window.
"Patience, sister of mine," Kaspar spoke softly, eyebrows raised in mild amusement. How nice it was that she easily forgot her quarrels with the promise of gifts. She sounded ideal to join the work force with enough false promises of material belongings.
It was as he had caught up to the young girl, that Kaspar sighted another child beside the window. Her appearance was a little.. Different. His attention was caught by her for a moment, taking a small breath and closing his mouth, tilting his head to a side as he tried to work her out, his heavily coloured, pooling brown eyes studying her from head to toe. As was his habit with any stranger he met.
He would trust no-one. Not even a child.

"Albine," Kaspar addressed his sister, breaking the gaze he had fixed upon the other girl, "you will choose one pair of shoes. And only one. Then, perhaps, we can go and get you a fresh drink, or.." His eyes flitted to the girl again. He was aware she was watching him. Has she been sent to do him harm? He had upset many along the way, and he could not take risks on an incident like before. No, he would always attempt to befriend those he believed his potential enemies. Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.
"Albine," Kaspar started again, making direct eye contact with his little sister. "Pfefferminze."
To an outsider, the fact that Kaspar had just said the word 'peppermint' to his sister, without any real context or knowledge placed behind it, may have seemed queer, but Albine knew otherwise.

Albine, until the moment of the code word, had been completely unaware that another child was even remotely in the vicinity. But her brother's sudden formalities had alerted her to his unease, to his sudden change in body language, and to the girl stood staring up at him.
Albine smiled. "Pfefferminze? This one?" She gave a light chuckle, glancing across at the girl and motioning her hand in a small wave, before re-addressing her brother. "Not remotely. These are not the looks of a trained mörder; more like a blick der liebe." Albine nodded again to acknowledge the girl, looking up at her brother, the suggestion that this girl was not a murderer coming after him to end his life, but was, in fact, possibly experiencing a crush on him. Her amusement only grew as the penny visibly dropped in her brother's head, and his eyes flitted between the girl and his sister, not sure what to believe.
Albine knew her brother was not used to the attentions of women and girls, regardless of age. He was not used to being watched for any reason but dislike. But New Zealand had been a fresh start, a chance to begin again, to live a life away from the sins of the past.
Albine knew her brother still would not trust her judgement, and it was her job to prove his paranoia wrong. Which was precisely why she stepped past him and met the girl with a smile. "Hey there! I'm Albine. Yeah- I'm not originally from around here, which explains the accent and the funny language, I'm sure. So, which pair of shoes do you think I should go for?"
It was her cocky and confident nature that had got her this far in life, and that wouldn't alter any time soon.

Geo's attention was suddenly diverted from the shoes as the girl, who introduced herself as "Albine", approached her and asked for her opinion. Not one to shy away from any new social interactions, Geo's face lit up and she nodded in acknowledgement. It would have been pointless to try and explain she hadn't been listening to their conversation, and instead simply took in that she mentioned they'd be speaking another language. "Those ones" She said, jabbing a finger against the dusty glass of the store. She was pointing out a dark brown pair of boots and hoped she'd made a good first guess at what she may like. "Tough, yet beautiful" She smiled up at Albine. "Pleasure to meet you" she added, her eyes glancing once more over the girls shoulder towards the elder man. It was a few seconds before her eyes rested once more on the face in front of her. "Geo." She put simply.

"You know," she continued on "if it's comfort you're looking for, you could always try a pair of Nyke's. Although I doubt you'll find them in here.. more of a muggle thing." She tailed off, her knowledge of anything related to sports always had her boring others.

No longer could she hold back. As fun as shoes were, she didn't want to miss an opportunity. "Excuse me." She said to Albine, removing herself from the store window and addressing the man her new aquaintance had been talking to. "I don't think we've met" She smiled up at him, he was clearly a good foot taller than the eleven year old, but very little phased the pink haired student and it was unusual for her to back down from a challenge. "Where did you say you were from?" Geo pressed, unaware as to whether she crossed any social boundries. With the tips from Emily in her head, she continued on "Perhaps we should all get a fresh drink? Together." While her body language indiciated she was referring also to Albine, it was obvious that her eyes were fixed on the details of the man. "I'm sorry, I didn't catch your name?" She needed to know, it was very important.

Albine was a little taken aback by the girl- Geo's- words to her. 'Tough yet beautiful' completely rang of Albine's nature, and the boots were absolutely divine! Her eyes lingered on the boots for a moment, before her smile spread and she gleamed her eyes in Geo's direction, making direct eye contact and listening to the words tumble from her model lips.
"Nothing wrong with a little muggle culture," Albine responded softly, her eyes flitting quickly back to the boots within the window. "Though I think you have perfect taste in your first selection. Definitely the style of shoe I'd go for.." Albine took a step back from the window, again directly watching the girl. "It's as though you've known me years."

Albine amused herself with observing the girl who was now, quite clearly, taking a striking and sudden interest in her older brother. Much older. Far too old to take an interest in the girl, surely. And what was this sensation mingled amongst the amused half-sniggers? Was Albine.. Jealous? Surely not. She had only just met the girl- who was, admittedly, of immeasurable beauty- so surely there was no way she could be feeling a spark?
No, she resolved internally, it was solely because the girl in question had chosen to take a liking to Albine's brother, a person who she regularly found herself in some form of competition with. But would he be petty enough to respond in much the same manner if he sussed it would wind up his little sister?
She was about to find out.

Kaspar witnessed his sister's attempts to befriend, a brief discussion of shoes, and his sister's obvious attempts at flirting. She often practised on the strangers they met. Mainly girls. Kaspar was starting to think that this was more than a coincidence. He often considered that this might be the way his sister was. Whatever, it was none of his interest or concern, as long as she did not get herself into any bother.
But now.. Now the girl- Geo- had turned her attention on him. Kaspar raised his eyebrows, drawing a small pouch, which sounded far too full not to break, from his inner coat pocket. He placed it in his sister's hands and nodded to her. "Shoes. Quickly as you might."
His eyes spun to the girl, fixing on her like cold, hard marbles. Trying to read her every breath. Though his sister doubted that she was anything more than an innocent child, she did seem rather too keen to start a conversation with Kaspar in particular. But was it just coincidence, or was it something far more sinister?

"No, I don't believe we have met." Kaspar responded, looking her over, assessing the threat she posed. "We are from.. Not around here." He suddenly began to doubt his sister's judgement. So many questions for such a young girl. And so socially equipped to speak. Albine was in and out the shop in an instant, now stood beside Kaspar with her new clompers for shoes on her feet.
"A drink, you say?" He eyes her, suspicious, though his gaze lowered to his sister's goofy smile and eager expression. He breathed deeply and let out a smile. "Very well. I will let you ladies choose, I will follow and pay. As usual." He muttered the sentence's end beneath his breath. His sister often let him pay. How nice of her. Still, he would never admit he enjoyed having someone to treat, for he was otherwise a very lonely man.
Geo, again, questioned him on his name. He resigned to answer.
"My name is Kaspar. You are a girl with many questions. Come, let us go and quench thirst and give answers."
Oh, she may have questions for him, but he was sure to get some answers of his own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back