Need some holiday plot advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twyla Rothery

OOC First Name
Cat
Wand
Curly 13 Inch Sturdy Dogwood Wand with Dragon Heartstring Core
Okay so ever since I created Twyla, I've had this character arc in mind to play out with her. In it, she discovers why she's magical when her parents are muggles, and why her mother reacted so poorly to her receiving the Hogwarts letter (as per Twyla's backstory). It wouldn't really affect much, and I'm still worried it might be too early in her character's existence to do much with it. However, with the holiday season coming up, I thought that Twyla returning home for Christmas might be the perfect time to set the plot in motion. But I'm not sure how to go about it!

On the one hand, I could just write a story about the whole thing, but where does one post such single-character stories? Can those be posted like normal threads, just with the closed tag, or would it be better to post such stories as blog posts or something like that? I am sort of considering using the blog ability on here to post little extra stories about Twyla that I wasn't able to post or aren't really fit to post as RP threads.

On the other hand, I noticed the Family Members group - is it safe to assume that's for doing things like one person making accounts for their character's family members and writing out a story (like this one) in the format of a normal RP thread?

Finally, does this sound like the sort of plot that would need special approval? It would take place off school grounds and all, so I doubt it would. But this is still my first "year" here so I'm trying to learn and cover all the bases and precedences.

Hey! Okay so the first thing I will address is the approval. That's tricky, I can't tell you for sure if it needs approval because I don't know what you want to do with it, but if in doubt, PM an admin and they can tell you.

The second part is that yes, you can post single threads. A few people do that in the Fanfiction/Alternate section as it's easier to keep track of there and you could post all of your single stories in one thread too if that's what you wanted to do.

The family group is there for the family characters of your school characters, so you can make and place all the family of Twyla (or anyone else) in that member group.

Hope this helps!
Teigan.

I'm not sure about the extent of the plot myself at the moment! I know that Twyla's mother is a squib from a magical family that alienated her, but she's kept it secret from Twyla and Twyla's father. So what I wanted to do was have Twyla find out what squibs are, either during her school year or during her holiday visit home, and then have a thread with Twyla and her mother where Twyla asks why she keeps acting all weird about Twyla's magic stuff.

It's not that much of a plot, really! And I'm not sure what longer-term effects it might have, other than maybe Twyla becomes interested to learn about that side of her family, which would consist mainly of wizards that could potentially be additional characters. I'd like to do some big character arc for Twyla but this was all I can think of for now, and I'm still trying to figure out the details (of both this and Twyla's family in the first place). I guess that's what this section is for though...?

From what I can tell, this idea of yours shouldn't need approval. It's not really outside the realm of normalcy for the board and it isn't triggering for anyone either for that matter so I think you'll be okay. If you're not sure, like I said, you can go to an admin and they'll be able to tell you whether or not this is something that would require approval. But I don't think it will, because it's basically just a background story for Twyla, so I think you should be fine.

This section is for plot stuff, yeah, you can shape ideas for character development here and other people might be able to help you with what would be the best way to do something. The community here love getting involved with other people's ideas and for the record, if you need it, I even have someone who could help Twyla with regards of her finding out about squibs :)

I hope so! I'm mainly just on the fence about Twyla's father and her parents' names in general. Can't decide on her father's name and her mother's birth name is French and is basically a French version of Twyla's English surname, so that's a bit weird. But there are ways around that.

I'd love to hear about this someone of yours! That sounds like it'd be a good way to kick things off.

Hehe, I can't help you with names as that is a personal thing, but this character I have is a part-veela and if he met Twyla, he'd want to be her friend so that he could tell her all about the magical world. Deshaun is a Hufflepuff, he's generally a nice person, though he does have his moments and he would enjoy tutoring Twyla in the magical world I think. Is this something you would be interested in?

He sounds cute! As Twyla grew up in the muggle world, she'd be excited to hear about the magical one. Twyla is a bit brash, but she tries to scale it back with people who are nice to her. They could meet during the Yule Ball, or perhaps some other time?

I can have him pop into the Yule ball right now if you like. Does Twyla have a topic?

I've just been posting her in response to others' threads so far. I did want her to have a thread of her own starting from when she first arrives at the Ball, though, but I'm half-waiting for some responses from Donna in a thread between Twyla and Donna's Annabelle before I go ahead with that. I'll figure something out though!

Cool, just let me know! Otherwise I can start one and she can pop in there.

Topic Closed and Archived
This roleplay development has been inactive for an extended period of time or is now completed.
Thank you for having used the plot development forum and feel free to create future threads in said forum.

~The HNZ Site Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back