OOC First Name
Kris
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Gwen) (Bi
René hesitated near the door of the Student Lounge, unsure if he actually wanted to go through with this idea or not. His lack of musical ability had been niggling him for awhile, but trying to change that opened all sorts of new doors for embarrassment that René would probably be happier leaving shut. But then again, Charlie had given René some good advice in the past, and even after his growth spurt over the break, Charlie was still easily one of the least intimidating kids in their dorm.

"Hey, Charlie, got a minute?" René asked after mustering his courage, glad to catch Charlie out of their dorm so he didn't have to risk their other roommates overhearing. "You play like, violin or whatever, right?" He said, sitting down across from Charlie and fiddling with his bag as he got comfortable. "Is it hard you think? You play and stuff?"

Charlie was studying in the student lounge, just going over course work for the next week, when he heard a familiar voice. He looked up, smiling when he saw his friend. "Hey Rene," He greeted, shutting his book. "Yeah, of course I do, I always have time for you," He promised. He listened to Rene talk, thinking over what he'd been asked. "Yeah, I play violin. String instruments can be hard, they're a bit painful to get used to." He offered out his hand, showing the callouses that had grown on his fingers. "Are you wanting to play or something?" He countered, curious.

René grinned as Charlie set his book aside, making himself comfortable in the chair opposite him and trying to look attentive as Charlie explained a bit more about violins and stuff. René knew there was a reason he was friends with Charlie. "I'm not scared of a little pain, I play beater after all," he said, puffing out his chest a little before his confidence faltered at Charlie's next question. "Yeah, I dunno, maybe. Seems like you guys all play something so I figured- I mean how hard could it be right?" He offered with a shrug, eyes drifting across the student lounge before glancing back at Charlie "Have you been playing very long?"

Charlie laughed lightly at Rene's comment. He could tell how uncomfortable Rene looked, and Charlie did his best to try and appear sympathetic. "Hey, no worries man. I picked up Violin in first year." He offered, running a hand through his hair. "Do you want to try it?" He asked. "Mine is just up in the dorm," Charlie hooked a thumb over his shoulder, not minding helping Rene out.

René nodded, mulling over the information that Charlie had only been playing for three-ish years, so maybe there was still time to catch up. He'd only been playing Quidditch for three years after all and he liked to think he was pretty decent at it. "Uh yeah, sure I guess? If you don't mind? Or maybe... Isn't violin kinda hard? Isn't there an easier one you think I could try? Not guitar though. Maybe drums? Are drums hard do you know?" The idea of trying out Charlie's violin was pretty intriguing, though René couldn't shake the idea that he might break it by accident, it seemed so fancy and fragile. But he also didn't know about teaching himself an instrument on his own if he picked one the others didn't know how to play. It was all a bit daunting.

Charlie smiled. "I don't mind. I hear drums are pretty fun, it just takes a sense of rhythm. There are also brass instruments if you're interested, or the woodwinds. I haven't seen anyone with like a flute or a trumpet or anything running around. Do you wanna go with me to the arts room and we can look around?" He offered. "I know I didn't think to pick up the violin, I just found it in the arts room."

"Sense of rhythm," René mused, trying to tap out a quick beat on his thigh without being too obvious about it. "But drummers are pretty cool right? Like in general?" Secretly, René didn't exactly think the violin was the coolest of instruments though there was no getting around that Charlie had taught himself to play, something René had his doubts about being able to do himself regardless of the instrument. "Yeah, neither," he said pensively at Charlie's other suggestions. None of them sounded especially cool either, though maybe a trumpet was slightly cooler than a flute. "They just let you take stuff there for free?" He asked with a raised eyebrow, moving to grab his stuff. He hadn't exactly been thinking on acting on his musical plans immediately, but if Charlie was offering maybe it would be best to just go with it before he chickened out on the idea. "I mean, yeah sure, why not."

Charlie chuckled. "Yeah, I've heard drummers are pretty awesome." He agreed. He smiled a little at Rene's objection to the instruments he suggested. He blushed at Rene's question. "Well... no," he admitted gently. "My dad made me take back the violin I took," He chuckled. "But we're here so much of the year you should be able to get some good practice in if its what you want." He offered instead. He stood as Rene agreed. "You don't have to pick anything right away, I can be your cover story if you don't want to admit to anything just yet." He offered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back