Midnight munchies

Trixie Pompeii

Wand
Almond Wand 14 1/8" Essence of Phoenix Tail Feather
It had been just before midnight when Trixie had awoken suddenly in her dorm. She didn't know what had disturbed her, but once she had opened her eyes she felt completely awake. She had decided to look for a book to read until she felt tired again, so climbed quietly out of bed and knelt down beside her suitcase. However as she rummaged, her hand had grazed a piece of parchment. In the dark, Trixie couldn't see what it was. She picked up her wand and muttered "Lumos". Her wand tip lit up instantly. She had picked up the parchment and seen that it was the map of Hogwarts Imogen had lent her. A grin had spread slowly across her face. Forget the book, it was time to explore!

Now, twenty minutes later, Trixie found herself outside the kitchens. She'd been hungry, so decided to come here for the first time. Now, however, she realised she didn't know how to get inside. She looked around at all the surrounding paintings, but nothing gave any indication of how she might get into the kitchens. Then she noticed a picture of a very old man on the right-hand wall. She was pretending to snore, but Trixie noticed he was watching her through one open eye, looking faintly amused. She approached him.
"Excuse me" she said politely. Her voice rang loudly around the silent corridor, so she hastily changed it to a whisper. "Sorry, but do you know how to get into the kitchens?"
The man quickly wiped the amused look from his face, and eyed her haughtily.
"I don't believe students have permission to enter the kitchens", he said pompously.
Trixie grinned.
"Oh, come on, please tell me. I won't tell anyone, honest!"
"I couldn't possibly disclose that information" he retorted.
They continued on that vein for some time, until the old man finally gave in an explained to Trixie how to enter the kitchens. Grinning her thanks, she followed his instructions and found herself in the Hogwarts kitchens.

Trixie gasped. Looking around, she saw she was in a cavernous room with exactly the same layout as the Great Hall. It was full of tiny house elves going about their work. Trixie had never seen one in real life before, and was fascinated by them. When they noticed her, several came running over.
"How can we help you, Miss?" one of them asked.
However before Trixie had a chance to answer, she heard the door open behind her.

Eventually Deryn just gave up trying to sleep. She'd never had to share a room before she came here and even the little noises, the squeaking of a bed as someone turned over, or the snortings and snorings that people made in their sleep could wake her up. She didn't think she'd had a full night's sleep since she got here. Sighing she got out of bed, pulled on her dressing gown, holding out her arm for a very sleepy Mink, and headed down to the common room for some peace and quiet. Maybe she should just sleep in front of that lovely big fire.

Reaching the common room, however, Deryn saw that it was not unoccupied. A small group of older students were sitting around gossiping, definitely NOT what she needed now. Well, maybe a walk would help tire her out.

The corridors were cold and unwelcoming at night. Deryn wandered around, gradually working her way downwards. What she really wanted was to go outside. She had always enjoyed walking in the dark outside before she came here. But she knew all the doors would be locked.

Deryn wandered along aimlessly, not really paying attention to where she was going, just enjoying being alone, when suddenly she saw a movement ahead of her. Thinking it was a professor, or a prefect, she flattened herself to the wall and wished for a curtain or corner.
But no, it was another student! Deryn's curiosity was roused now. Keeping close to the wall she decided to follow the girl, working her way closer as she did so.

Eventually the girl stopped and started arguing with a painting by a rather large looking door. The painting did not look happy about it but eventually he let her through.
Deryn gave it a couple of minutes so she wouldn't walk right into the girl on the other side, then walked confidently up to the painting. The old man in it was just starting to doze and didn't look happy to be disturbed.

"What do you want!" He grumped at her. Deryn smiled and hoped it looked appealing, "I'm sorry I'm late," She bluffed, "Can you let me through please, she'll be so annoyed at me for taking so long." She begged, gesturing at the door to indicate the girl who'd just gone through.
The painting looked at her suspiciously, "Hmmmmmm..." Deryn crossed her fingers behind her back. "Oh alright," He said, "just don't wake me up again when you leave!"
He grouched at her some more, but he still told her how to get in.
Deryn smiled and said, "Thank you." It was always good to be polite, then she headed on in, still not knowing what was on the other side.

As the door swung open her eyes took in the scene. The room was huge, and full of small, weird people rushing around. She guessed they must be house elves although she'd never seen one before.
It was immediately obvious she was in the kitchen, and far from 'letting the other girl get ahead' Deryn was standing right behind her. The girl mustn't guess that she had been following her!

Deryn strolled on in as if she'd been here a hundred times before. "Hi. I'm Deryn, what's your name." She asked, smiling at the girl as she wandered on over and took a seat by the nearest table.
A house elf rushed towards her and Deryn smiled at it, it was kinda cute in an ugly sort of way.
"Hi, what's your name?" She asked the elf as it was opening it's mouth to speak.

Trixie gasped in fear. Was she allowed to be in here? She didn't think so, but there was no time to hide. Then, to her relief, another student came through the door. A girl. She smiled at Trixie and introduced herself as Deryn. She strolled over to the nearest table and sat down. Trixie grinned back as her heart started to slow down to its normal rhythm. "Hi, I'm Trixie." She laughed. "You really scared me then, I thought you were a teacher or something!" She walked over to the table and sat down beside Deryn. The house elf that had met Trixie at the door followed her over. Deryn asked it's name. They grinned as the elf introduced itself as Merry.
"How can we help you, miss and miss?" it squeaked. "Are you hungry?"
Trixie wasn't quite sure what to say. She didn't want to demand food from them, she'd hate to treat them like servants.
"Erm, a cup of tea would be nice please!" she told the elf.

"Oh yes please Merry, Tea with milk thank you." It felt strange asking someone else to get it for her, mind you, she figured the elves would like her traipsing around disturbing things in their kitchen even less. "I would kill for a cup of tea," she added to the girl Trixie. "Everyone here seems to drink pumpkin juice and the like." Deryn almost jumped as the house elf suddenly reappeared with a huge tray covered in biscuits and cakes and nibbles, along with a huge, steaming pot of tea, a jug of milk, and two pretty cups on saucers." Deryn flushed slightly with embarassment at the huge feed, far too much for the two of them to eat.
"Ummm, I'm sorry," she said to the house elf, "I didn't mean to put you to so much trouble. Just a cup of tea would've been fine."
The poor thing looked mortified. "Merry has done wrong, the mistressess are not pleased, Merry brought too much!"
Deryn flushed a deeper shade of red, "No no. It's just perfect. Thank you Merry!"
She would obviously have to be very careful what she said around here.
Merry's face was transformed by a glowing smile.
"Thank you mistress, thank you. Merry is so happy."
Quite at a loss as to what to say next Deryn gave Trixie a helpless look. Maybe she was familiar with house elves?

Trixie had to struggle not to laugh at the house elf as she brought them a huge tray of tea and biscuits, then panicked about getting it wrong. She'd never experienced these creatures before, and found them very odd. But even though she found herself giggling, Trixie thought the situation was more sad than funny. She'd read a bit about house elves before, and knew they lived to serve their masters, and that was their only aim in life. But seeing it for real was still a bit of a shock to Trixie. She looked over at Deryn and saw that she looked just as confused.
Grinning, she turned to the house elf.
"Thanks, Merry, you've done a great job!" she said, trying not to sound too patronising. But the little elf seemed to glow with happiness.
"Miss is very welcome" she squeaked happily. "Is there anything else Merry can do for you?"
Trixie smiled at her. "Not right now, thanks, but we'll let you know if we think of anything."
The elf bowed low to Trixie, then to Deryn, and scurried off to continue her work. Trixie turned to Deryn and smiled. "Weird things, aren't they? I've never seen in one real life before" she said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back