Meeting in the Harbor

Paul Rider

OOC First Name
Taneaka
Paul walked down the path the same way that he had been doing for the past hour. His uncle had told him to go and look for his cousin which he knew was an impossible task. Paul respected his uncle though so he followed the orders and walked to the harbor where Lily seemed to spend all of her time. She was a major window shopper as she loved shopping but had no money for it. Paul was surprised that his aunt and uncle gave any money to the kids at all. Dervish didn't work so Sam was the only one bringing in any money and that then had to pay for twelve kids plus her and Dervish.
Paul gave up on his task and stood on the edge of the path looking out to sea, wishing Junior was here. Junior seemed to be the only person who knew how to find Lily. The female mind definitely wasn't Paul's strongest subject.

Isabella had just lucked out with another job prospect, cheerleading for the Harpies was looking better and better by the minute. It was crazy how many people didn't want to employ a veela, or at least it was amazing how many women didn't want to employ a Veela. Wandering down to the harbour she found a bench and sat down, removing a packed lunch from her bag as the price of anything in the cafe's or restaurants was simply way too much for her to afford. As it was her months rent at the Leaky Cauldron for a single barely furnished room was near an end.

Things were looking grim and no silver lining in sight, she bit into her sandwich and looked out across the harbour. It was beautiful, how many times had she come here while at school never believing that she would be so pathetic after graduation. If only she had paid more attention, not let herself get bogged down in broken relationships and her mothers release from the ministry holding cells. It was all just a mess. Her pale grey eyes caught a glimpse of a man standing on his own looking out across the water as well. He looked as if he too were carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders.

She smiled looking down at her sandwiches before glancing back at him once more.
"I've got enough for two if you'd like to share?" she offered kindly.

Paul heard someone talking. They sounded like they were talking to him so he turned around to see who it was. There was a pretty girl about his age sat on the bench not far from him. "It's ok. I've already eaten." Paul walked over to her and sat down on the bench. "You haven't seen a girl about so high..." Paul estimated her height with his hand. "...with short black hair and dark eyes have you?? She'd probably look bankrupt." Paul smiled. He might as well see she had seen Lily. Nothing wrong with trying.
Paul held out his hand to shake hers. "I'm Paul, by the way. Paul Rider." As Paul didn't understand girls very well, he never knew what they wanted to talk about so he didn't know how this conversation would end.

Isabella waited for the inevitable fawning over her that usually came when any boy was close by, she knew many veela used it to their advantage constantly but she was not one of these. Would never be one if she could help it. She moved over slightly as he came to sit beside her, already becoming weary at his close proximity. Would he begin offering to do everything for her? Offer her the world on a platter? She lowered her head as she tidied up the remains of her sandwich and wiped her hands on a napkin.

If anything he was polite and as he asked about a girl, obviously in need of help too. She shook her head as she glanced back at him, her pale grey eyes almost ghostlike.
"Sorry I haven't seen her" she looked at his hand before reaching out her own slender one and slipping it into his to shake it gently. Would this contact with her tip the scales? So far he was being polite and mannerly, how long would it last?
"I am Isabella, Isabella Ormonde. Nice to meet you Paul" she was unused to conversation, normal conversation with boys so did not know how to proceed so she didn't. Merely opting for the saver route of eating more of her sandwich.

Paul smiled at her as she shook his hand. She was an amazingly beautiful person. She had to prove herself on the inside before Paul would become friends with her though. He was more of a 'don't judge a book by it's cover' sort of person. "It's alright. She always disappears and then reappears a few hours later." He grinned at the mention of her name. "That's a nice name. Were you named after anyone or did your parents pick the name??"

(sorry. really lame.)

"Is it your sister?" she didn't think for a moment the girl in question could be his child, he seemed way too young but then again these days you just never knew. Perhaps the short girl was his girlfriend, Isabella preferred that idea for reasons that were beyond her. Turning to look at him as he commented on her name she nodded her head.

"Both my grandmothers were called Isabella" she told him, one of which she had met of course and had lived with them for quite sometime until she had passed away three years ago. She had been a full Veela of course as was Isbella's mother, thankfully she herself was only half. So far the boy did not seem overly affected by her, most boys at this point would have been all but losing their senses unless of course they had been around Veela for sometime. She liked it, sitting and not being overly worried about his closeness now.

"Rider is an unusual surname, where does this originate from?"her smile was like a breath of fresh air on an otherwise hot day.

"No. She's my cousin. I live with my aunt and uncle." Paul understood how Isabella thought Lily was his sister. What else could she be??
"My sister was named after my mum and my brother's middle name was my dad's but I was just given a name that they liked. I don't see why they liked it 'cause it's a horrible name. I can't be bothered to change it though. I'm used to it now." That's what Paul told everyone but in actual fact, his name connected him to his parents in ways that even he didn't understand. Anything he had to do with his parents he was happy to have.

Isabella smiled at him, it must have been nice to have family like that. Any family. She herself had no siblings or cousins. Her mother had been incarcerated for seriously endangering her father under some rule of conduct by the magical creatures division or some such nonsense. How her mother was supposed to control her anger was quite beyond her but even more so, how her mother was supposed to control what she became when she was angry was another matter entirely.

"It must be nice to have siblings" she said more to herself than anything, "Do you live around here?"

Paul smiled. "It is. Although, it can't kill them to give me a bit of privacy sometimes." Paul laughed. "I do now. I moved here the other month. We used to live in Sydney but now that my cousins are going to be starting at Hogwarts New Zealand, we've moved here." Paul didn't understand why they were moving so Jerrod and Lily could go to Hogwarts New Zealand but they didn't move when the other ten of them started at Hogwarts Scotland.

She could not suppress the chuckle that escaped her, having shared a dorm room with nearly ten to twelve girls over the last seven year she had a fair idea about lack of privacy though still that was not the same as having your privacy taken up by siblings.
"I've never been to Australia, maybe I'll visit it now that I'm here permanently. Is the weather as hot as it is here?" Isabella was not very clued in on the Southern hemisphere, it's varying cultures or it's weather. She did know one thing and that was she simply loved it here.

"I liked Australia but New Zealand is definitely better. There's more to do and it's quieter. Sydney being so famous and all, it's got loads of tourists but there's not so many here." Paul had been surprised by the quiet when he first arrived here. He especially liked the quiet that he got from going into the woods. All he heard there was the wind whistling through the leaves and the occasional rustle of fallen leaves being blown across the ground.

Bella smiled she had to agree with him about the quietness, it helped still the soul. The countryside was beautiful here, the people were wonderful and friendly and their culture so rich and interesting. She smiled as she looked out across the harbour.
"So what do you do Paul Rider?" she hoped she wasn't being nosey in any way or rude for that matter but she liked his company well enough.

Paul grinned. "I'm unemployed. should probably get a job but I don't know what I want to do. I've had my aunt saying I should go and work at the ministry so I can get a good amount of money but it's not really my thing." Paul had sat through countless speeches on why he should work their but none of them had persuaded him at all. All they did was bore him to death.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back