Maps Are Annoying :P

Noah Esquire

After wandering the streets for a while, Noah had finally found a visitors centre. As he was handed a map, he was told that they couldn't help him further. No matter who he asked, no one could tell him how to get to the Esquire house. Apparently they aren't as well known as I thought.. Noah said to himself, frowning slightly. As he turned the map this way and that, he walked up and down the street, passing the same shop at least four times. Scratching his head, he put his guitar and bag down and slumped onto a bench, exhausted.

Leia had been wandering the streets alone, as usual, and had been sitting on a bench just outside of the ice cream parlor, sipping on a fruit smoothie she had purchased inside. She had seen the same guy pass by multiple times already with a map in his hand, and by the fourth time, he had given up and slumped on a bench nearby. Leia contained her silent laughter as a smile formed on her face. She got up, smoothed down her green outfit, and walked confidently over to him. "Lost?" she asked him, a tiny hint of amusement in her voice, but her smile was a friendly one. The exotic brunette continued to sip on her smoothie as she waited for a reply.

The outfit is the one on the right.:p]

Noah hadn't been sitting long, when he heard a voice and looked up. Standing there was a girl about his age, smiling at him. "Uh yeah, just a bit.." Noah laughed, looking down at the crinkled map. "You wouldn't happen to know the way to the Esquire house, would you?" he smiled, doubting she would. No one else had. Maybe it's really secluded.. he thought, wondering why no one knew his supposedly 'famous businessman' uncle.

Leia allowed a laugh to escape her lips when the boy laughed too. "Esquire?" she repeated the name, running it in her mind to see if she'd heard it before. She thought it sounded vaguely familiar, her father's Ministry job came to mind for some reason, but doubted she would be thinking of the same people he was looking for. After all, her father lived in Australia and the Esquire's seemed to live in New Zealand, the boy was holding a map of the place so she assumed they were from here. "No, I'm sorry I don't," she finally replied rather apologetically, brushing her bangs out of her eyes quickly and biting her lip, feeling bad that she couldn't be of more assistance.

"Ah, that's okay. I'll find it soon enough!" Noah smiled, hiding the fact that he had no money for a motel if he didn't. Taking one last look at the confusing map, he shoved it haphazardly into his bag. Resting his hands on his knees, he sighed lightly. "Umm, sorry to keep you, but do you know if Hogwarts is far from here?" Noah asked, hoping he wasn't being a burden. If he couldn't find Vivienne's house, then maybe he could find someone at her school to help him find a place to stay.

Leia's apologetic frown quickly turned right side up into a smile when it didn't seem to bother him, or if it did, he hid it well. When he mentioned Hogwarts, Leia's chocolate colored eyes widened with excitement but very subtly. He did seem to look her age so it was possible that he'd be going there next year with her as well. "Actually I do," she said with a bright grin. "Would you like me to take you there?" she asked a bit unsure again. She wondered what business he had going to Hogwarts when he wasn't due there for another few months at least.

"Oh, uhh.. maybe not right now. There might be people.. doing stuff, at the school.. you know," Noah mumbled. If he went with her to Hogwarts, then he might be forced to explain why they were going. A seemingly short explanation would turn into a long story, and next thing you know, this girl would know his life story. Noah was bad at keeping things from people, but this was something that needed to be kept secret. For now, at least. "Uhh, maybe you could just tell me, or draw a map? So I can go later.." he asked, pulling out some paper and a muggle pen.

Leia let out a soft chuckle and said, "Yeah I didn't think going right now would be a smart idea." When he pulled out a muggle pen and some paper for her to draw a map she smiled and said, "Okay, I'll try but I have to warn you, I'm not the best drawer." She took the the pen and paper and sat beside him, hoping he didn't mind, and put down her smoothie beside her.

Her long, dark curls fell over her face as she concentrated on drawing out a series of lines criss-crossing at certain points. She had only been in New Zealand for a little while but after living in New York for so long, she knew that memorizing streets and areas was very important. "There," she said coming up after bending over the paper, tucking her hair behind her ear. "I drew little arrows down the easiest path there," she said with a friendly smile, handing the paper and pen back over to him.

Noah handed over the paper and pen, and watched as the girl quickly drew an intricate series of lines. He smiled at her gratefully when she had finished, and looked at the map, easily understanding this simpler version. "Thanks so much, that's a great help. Much less confusing that the one I had. I'm Noah, by the way. What's your name?" he asked, extending his hand to shake. Noah didn't expect her to care or want to know his name, but he wanted to know hers.

Leia smiled lightly when the boy said her drawing was simpler than the complicated map she had seen him reading earlier. "I swear sometimes it's like they make them impossible to understand just to watch us suffer," she said jokingly. When the boy introduced himself she smiled. "Noah," she repeated with a sparkle in her eyes, "that's a nice name. I'm Leia, nice to meet you," she beamed. "Are you going to Hogwarts next year?" she wondered since he did look about her age.

Noah laughed, as Leia mentioned that maps were made to make them suffer. "Oh definitely, they just love to torture us! And thanks, I'm just glad my middle name's not Zac. Then it'd be like Noah's Ark," he said, when she complimented his name. "I really like the name Leia too. Do you know what it means?" Noah asked. He'd always been interesting in peoples' history. "Yep, I'm going to Hogwarts next year. I'd like to be in Ravenclaw. Even though I don't seem very smart, I'm a quick learner, honest!" he said, laughing, picturing himself running back and forth when he couldn't understand the map. "What about you?"

Leia laughed lightly when Noah continued with her attempt at a joke. However she furrowed her brows when he said he was glad his middle name wasn't Zac. "Why not?" she asked, confused about how that could relate to the Noah's Ark story. "Thanks," she replied when he said the same about her own name. "But no, I don't know what it means," she said, feeling more dumb by the minute.

She smiled gratefully when he said he was going to Hogwarts next year too. She laughed lightly when he pleaded that he really was a fast learner despite his lack of ability to read maps. "As you can tell, I'm not really suited for Ravenclaw," she said rather embarrassed, since she had to ask about the reference to Noah's Ark and for not knowing what her own name meant. "I don't really know where I'll end up. I'm sort of a weird mix between Hufflepuff and Slytherin," she admitted, knowing they were polar opposites.

"Well if you say in an Australian accent, Noah's Ark sounds like Noah Zac," he said, laughing slightly. Noah could understand that she didn't get it. His New Zealand/British accent didn't really explain it well. He frowned slightly as Leia put herself down, he didn't think it was right for someone this nice to be like that. "Hufflepuff and Slytherin isn't a weird mix, it just means you're ambitious and hardworking. My dad would love you!" Noah joked, thinking of how strict his father was when it came to work. "I bet you'd fit into any house, though." He said with an encouraging smile.

"Ohhh," Leia said giggling in understanding when he explained the Noah's Ark reference. She had been living in Australia for a year now so she understood the way the accent sounded, she had even began picking it up but it was a weird mix with her New Yorker accent. However she had never said or heard the two names Noah and Zac together so she hadn't quite thought of the way they sounded together before.

Leia couldn't help but beam up at Noah when he reassured her that being a mix of Hufflepuff and Slytherin wasn't bad. "Thanks, I like the way you describe it, totally sounds like a Ravenclaw," she said sticking her tongue out playfully at him in reference to him wanting to be one. The way he had mentioned her dad loving her for being ambitious and hardworking made her wonder whether that's the values he wanted Noah to have and if he did have them at all, but Ravenclaws were also hardworking and ambitious so she assumed so.

"Really? So I wouldn't make a totally useless Ravenclaw? Yay!" Noah laughed, pleased that at least one person thought so. Everyone had told him that he'd just get thrown into Hufflepuff, supposedly the house of the 'leftovers'. However, his cousin was in Hufflepuff, so it mustn't be that bad. Just then, he felt a nudge against his leg, remembering that his puppy was still in his backpack. Hoping that he wasn't getting hot, Noah brought the puppy out and sat him carefully on the ground. He gave him a treat and laughed as the puppy tangled himself in his leash.

Leia laughed when Noah seemed happy that he sounded like a Ravenclaw. "No, definitely not useless," she assured him with a smile. Once he pulled out a puppy, Leia's smile lit up and she gushed, "Omigod it's so cute! What's its name?" she asked, not knowing if it was a boy or girl. She reached out and scratched its head, wishing she had her dog with her too. She laughed as the dog began tangling himself in its leash and she added, "It's rather energetic isn't it?"

"Heh, yeah he is, isn't he. His name's Jimi," Noah smiled, stratching the dog between the ears. "Do you have any pets?" he asked. "I heard we're not allowed to have dogs at Hogwarts.. so I don't know what I'll do if that's true." Noah frowned, he didn't want to abandon the dog he loved so much. "I don't see why though.. Jimi couldn't hurt an ant. No seriously, he's too much of a scaredy cat to try!"

Leia cooed lovingly at Noah's dog Jimi laughing at its playfulness. "Yeah I have a dog and a cat," she replied smiling, thinking of her two furry companions. Her smile quickly turned into a frown though when he mentioned a rule about not having dogs allowed in school, this was news to her. "Really?" she asked sadly. "My dog, Shadow, wouldn't hurt anyone either! I mean, he gets along with my cat for Pete's sake, that has to show you that he's harmless," she said laughing. Cats and dogs were supposed to hate each other, so for Shadow to love her cat was saying that he was definitely a nice dog.

Noah smiled as Leia talked about her own pets. She seemed to love animals as much as he did. "Well it's just what I heard, it might not be true." Noah said, not wanting Leia to be sad for nothing. "And as you can see, Jimi makes friends with anything and everything," he laughed as he started chasing a butterfly round in circles. "We should so write to the school, appealing to get dogs allowed," Noah joked, imagining himself staging a protest. What a cliche. If that doesn't work, maybe I can sneak him in.. Noah thought, seeing as there was no one else to look after Jimi.

"An appeal to get dogs allowed?" Leia repeated with a mischievous grin on her face. "Maybe we could get lots of kids to sign, like a petition!" she suggested but then laughed, assuming that Noah only meant it as a joke. "But sneaking them in also sounds like a plan," she added, her warm chocolate eyes sparking with playfulness. "We could be the only two in the castle with secret dogs," she joked. She wouldn't be surprised if there were already students hiding their dogs in their rooms, pets were hard to part from. As long as their roommates weren't alergic, she could see no harm in having Shadow in her dorm. "I wonder why cats are allowed though?" she thought out loud.

"Mm! A petition is a good idea. Dogs should be allowed if they're approved." Noah's eyes lit up when she mentioned sneaking them in. He hadn't said it out loud incase she had disapproved. "Sneak them in? You must be reading my mind!" Noah laughed, he'd just been thinking that. "Yeah.. cats and dogs aren't that different. Well, I guess it depends on the breed.." he said, understanding that the school wouldn't want dangerous types of dogs. "If it turns out that they aren't allowed, then I'll definitely try to take Jimi anyway." Noah said mischievously.

"It's official Noah, we must start this petition," Leia sad matter-of-factly though her tone rang out playfully. She giggled in response to Noah saying she read his mind and said, "I think we both just think rather alike," and smiled at him. When he said it just depended on the type of dog, Leia couldn't help but agree. Of course the school probably didn't want huge dogs roaming the castle or destroying the gardens, but cats were quite the devilish creatures themselves, she knew from her mother's awful cat how horrible they could be.

Leia couldn't help but grin when Noah said if they still weren't allowed that he'd sneak Jimi in anyway. She didn't know if she could get away with that, but she was always one to cross the line just to see how far was too far, it was thriling to the petite brunette. Sneaking Shadow in definitely sounded like a plan. "Maybe I'll do the same too, my dog is rather small," she said with a shrug.

"We do think rather alike, don't we!" Noah grinned, pleased that he'd made a friend in Brightstone so quickly. "Ok, the petition starts now." he joked, yet in the same matter-of-fact tone. Pulling his pen and paper back out of his bag, he quickly drew up a title in official-looking calligraphy, and wrote the purpose of the petition. "Signature time!" Noah laughed, showing Leia the paper.

He jumped up and jogged over to a group of middle-aged witches, coming back a minute later with seven signatures already. "Ok, if this doesn't work, and we have to resort to sneaking them in, we can't go around telling everyone. Pinky promise?" he grinned, raising his pinky finger. He knew it would be hard for people in their dorms to not find out, but it was worth a try.

Leia giggled when Noah pulled out his pen and paper yet again and made an official looking petition. No sooner had he gotten up to ask the locals around Brightstone than he returned with signatures already. "Wow seven already!" she said excitedly. "And I'll make it eight!" she added, taking the pen and writing Leia Evans in perfect, cursive handwriting. "You can't forget to sign your own petition Noah," she told him with an eyebrow raised playfully.

When he began talking about sneaking their dogs in, just in case the petition didn't work, Leia smiled. "A backup plan, see, you are a Ravenclaw," she joked lightly. She looked at his raised pinky finger and pretended to be thinking hard about whether or not she should agree with him. "Hmmmm I don't know Noah..." she said mock-seriously, pretending to be unsure. But her lips formed a sly smile and she eagerly linked her own pinky with his. "Just kidding, of course I won't tell!" she said excitedly, glad that she had made another friend. She knew that sneaking their dogs in and keeping it a secret was going to be easier said than done, but it didn't hurt to try right?

"It's a deal then!" Noah smiled, linking his pinky with Leia's. Glancing at the petition, he laughed. "Ahh, right! I can't forget my own name.." he took the pen in his left hand and drew his name intricately, shaded carefully and surrounded by various symbols. Noah was a bit of an artist when he wanted to be. He looked around, taking in the atmosphere. There were quite a few people around, and still it felt empty. A peaceful type of empty, though. It was warm, and welcoming. Much nicer than the suburbs he'd been raised in. "Hmm.. should we get some more signatures?" Noah grinned, handing it back to Leia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back