Making a new friend

Andrew Bruke

Andrew was sitting in the library reading his comin under his heavy volume of text book something which he usually did in library so everyone would think he is actually studying and not disturb him as he reads his exciting comic.

'Get away from me you dog' said Kristen as the gang towered on her. 'Oh No! We won't, today is our time to take revenge. Revenge for that Superman of your's did, he slapped and punched me' said the vilan. Just then some shadow appeared above them it was the superman to the rescue!

He was so much into it that he didnt notice anything that was going around him. He just read turning page after page magically as he had charmed his book and kept reading without blinking.

Megan walked into the library, she had finally decided to look at the place. It was everything she had imagined. The bookshelves towered high above her and they were full of different books that looked to be different ages, from new to ancient. She picked a random shelf and ran her fingers along the book spines, feeling the texture. After a while she picked out a book that seemed to be chock full of facts, her favourite.

Megan walked over to the nearest seat, already ingrossed in the factual world that was the book she had chosen, this wasn't the best idea as she didn't know when to stop walking and felt herself bump into something. "I'm sorry." Her quiet voice spoke before the small girl looked up, she wasn't even sure if she had walked into a person. She froze, not only had it been a human, it was also male. "Isaac Asimov is the only author to have a book in every Dewey-decimal category." She mumbled to herself to calm herself down. Though she was now able to move she still chose not to and remained standing in front of the older student.

Andrew looked up at the girl who had just bumped into him. He had been sitting, yet she had bumped into him and now his thick volume of Transfiguration text book together with his tiny comic fell down and the book closed with a thud. He looked at the girl, angry about her not seeing from behind her thick glasses, why did she wear them then. But at a second thought his heart melted.

She was so much like Zazuka. She was in Ravenclaw, she had specs and was in a library. How would Andrew feel if someone would treat Zazuka like that? So he changed his mind and smiled at the girl. Picking up his books he said "It's okay"with a polite tone. Then she muimbled something but Andrew heard it, he had great ears however didnt understand a word "What does that mean?"he asked her raising an eyebrow.

Megan cowered under his gaze but then frowned at the question, nobody had ever asked her about her fact habit. "Umm." She gathered the little courage she had in her to talk to an actual boy without sounding silly o ron helium. "When I get nervous I say facts to calm down." The small girl looked down at the book she had been reading, she looked at the number and closed it. Megan knew she would know where she was when she next opened it, a photographic memory came in handy alot of the time.

"Wow! Thats something new" he said as excitment twinkled in his eyes. He continued to gaze at her as he asked his next question "Was that a muggle fact or a wizardind fact and what is Dewey-decimal category?"he asked her now smiling as he let it sank that someone can be so genius type material.

"I am Andrew, by the way. And what's your name?"he asked her smiling hoping he wasn't scaring her anymore. "I take it that you are a first year?"he said now looking at the big book the girl had choosen to read.

Megan was truly confused. No-one so far had asked her a proper question where the answer was definate. She even managed a small smile. "It was a muggle one, I don't know much about magic yet." She searched through her memory to find a definition of the dewey decimal system.

"The Dewey Decimal Classification is a proprietary system of library classification developed by Melvil Dewey in 1876, and has been greatly modified and expanded through 22 major revisions, the most recent in 2004. This system organizes books on library shelves in a specific and repeatable order that makes it easy to find any book and return it to its proper place." She recited to the boy who named himself as Andrew.

"I'm Megan, First year Ravenclaw yes." Megs answered his question before realising what she was doing, not only was she talking freely but it was with an older male and she was smiling. To be honset, the small girl wasn't sure if this was a good thing or not.

"Wow, that was brilliant" he said complmenting the first year. "No wonder you are in first year" he said now smiling. "Why are you studying alone?"he asked her wanting to chat a bit. Andrew always was up for a good chat especially if was in the LIBRARY!! :p

"Are you doing some secret research?"he asked her having not looked at the book she had choosen to read.

Megan blushed slightly as he said it was brilliant. She looked down, embarressed, when he asked why she was alone. "I don't have any friends to study with." She spoke in a quiet voice but it was loud enough for him to hear. Megs had never felt bad about not having friends but when she said it out loud she realised how nasty it felt.

"Oh I am sure those who don't like to study with you are foolish. I don't know if this is a fact or not, but if you study with brilliant people you too improve yourself"he said with a wink. "And who said you don't have friends that study with you, I come to the libary almost everday to read, we could study together and you could help me out"he said now grinning at the idea of Megan helping him.

"Megan let me tell you something that will intrest you, this is a wizarding fact" he said as he remembered what their Charms Professor had said when they were practising levitation. "Wizard Baruffio, who said 's' instead of 'f' and found himself on the floor with a buffalo on his chest" he recieted and then with a pause he added"that teaches us prounce clearly and say the incantation properly" he said now grinning at himself.

Megan smiled at the idea of studying with someone and helping them out. She was shocking herself with how quickly she had trusted this boy, Andrew. "That would be nice." Her voice was as quiet as normal and she showed no visible signs of feeling wierd.

Megan cocked her head to the side at the fact. She wasn't sure she understood it. When Andrew explained it she smiled again. "That's interesting." To some, it may have sounded like she was just being nice but, to anyone who properly knew the small girl, they would've known that her saying something was interesting was one of the highest compliments you could get.

Andrew smiled at Megan. "So, what is that book about ?"he asked her intrested in what a first year would like to read. "How have your lessons gone so far?"he asked her as he streched his hand in the air and when he brought his hand back, he had a white rose in it. Something he had learned naturally during his holidays.

"Here" he said handing her the rose with a smile. "Did you have favourites in you lessons?"he asked her. "I personally like Potions followed by Defence" he told her.

Megan smiled as he asked another question with a straight answer. "Common Magical Ailments and Afflictions." For the first time since she had left home Megs felt the urge to elaborate. "I like learning about things that are definate, Like medicines, there is always on thing that works on another until it adapts."

She was confused by the rose but accepted it anyway. "Thank you." Megs nodded at the question. "So far I like astronomy, we are learning facts, I thought I would like history but it all sounds like myth to me."

Andrew nodded as Megan explained about her fancy towards medicines. However, when she mentioned she liked Astronomy Andrew was a bit shocked. He had been hating Astronomy as his worst subjects from the past three years. It was only this year that he had liked it so far and he thought that was Professor Merrythought had the skill in her to teach Astronomy. "Does Professor Aurora teach you?" he asked Megan thoughtfully. Andrew would understand if was Professor Merrythought who taught first years and that was the reason behind Megan liking Astronomy.

"The first year lot is very lucky when it comes to Astronomy" he said then pausing for a moment before he elaborated it."We had like two teachers every year that changed or three some times for Astronomy. The subject is seemed to be cursed that no teacher can stay more than some time" he told her with a grin. "And all the previous professors of Astronomy were... I don't have a word to describe them but they simply didnt have it in them" he explained her. "But since Professor Merrythought started teaching it has been better" he added.

"Well, I have always liked History" he told Megan. "Once they take you for feild trips you will see that it is no myth" he added with a smirk. "I'll show you my pictures of History field trips if you like. We went to Maya Ruins and the Stonehenge" he said with a smile.

Megan nodded at the question, Professor Merrythought seemed a bit bouncy and nice for her liking but she liked what she was learning. She felt confused when he said she had it easy in her year for astronomy but then understood what he was saying when he elaborated. It must be hard to have different teachers, they wouldn't know where you had gotten up to in your learning and you would either miss a bit or go over stuff again.

"I suppose I will like it, I just didn't like the lesson I have been to. Mainly because we learnt about a muggle myth that turned out to be true, I have never liked things like that." Megan knew that, at some point, she would love history, she always had, she just didn't like it so far.

A thought struck her, so far she was talking to a boy who, until about an hour ago, was a stranger and she knew nothing about him. This was very rare for Megan and it scared her slightly. The small girl decided to do something to change part of that. "What year are you in then?"

"I am in fourth year" he told Megan with a friendly smile. Maybe she is feeling scared or shy, he thought then said "If you ever need help with anything, feel free to call me and I will be there for my new friend" he said with a true smile that reached his eyes and made them twinkle."Not that a bright witch like yourself will need help though"he added with a wink.

Megan looked at him, he did look like he was around fourteen or fifteen. Megs nodded at his offer and smiled again when he complimented her. She wasn't sure whether she liked smiling this much, she had never smiled this much in an hour before.

Megan realised she didn't know where to find Andrew if she needed him. "Where would I find you if I did need help?" Her voice had returned to it's shy mode, she hed never asked for help before in anything. Ever.

"If you come to the dungeons I will be in the common room. I can also be found at the library but it would be best if you send me an owl to meet you anywhere you are. I'd be there in a flash of lightning" he said with a smile.

"How did you like flying so far?"he asked Megan. It was common for Andrew to bring flying or Qudditch in most of his conversations, he couldn't help it. He wanted to know views of different people on it and match them with his own.

Megan nodded her head though she was confused. Every time she had over heard people talking about Slytherin, the only house with a common room in the dungeons, they had only said bed things and mentioned the students in it were all mean and evil. Andrew was nice though. It didn't fit. "This doesn't make sense."

Megs shrugged, she was alright with it but she wasn't the best person off of the ground. "I can do it but I'm not sure I enjoy it."

"What doesn't make sense?"he asked Megan and then heard that she didnt enjoy flying. It was a common thing that some people who loved studying very much were not enjoying flying though he hadn't figured out why.

Megan hesitated, she didn't want to offend him. Though Megs didn't normally care how someone felt, that was because they never stuck around for long, Andrew was the first boy she had ever felt comfertable talking to. She didn't want to scare him away. "I..I'm not sure I should say."

Andrew was a bit confused for the moment as he tried to think what to say to Megan. "It's okay, you can tell me" he said with his best smiles. "But if it is personal, and you don't want to tell me, I will understand" he added looking into Megan's eyes as if he could read his brains.

Megan decided to tell him but wasn't sure how he would react. "Well, Um, well. Everyone says um, that people that are in, er, Slytherin are, um, sort of, mean-ish?" The statement came out as a question and Megs cringed in anticipation of his reaction.

Andrew laughed as Megan asked her question. Well, she was a muggleborn first year and it totally made sense that she would hear all this from her peersBrian Gethatorn he thought. "It isn't that all Slytherins are 'mean-ish'. We are cunning but we have heart and friends and we only be rude to those who are the same way to us" he explained with a smile.

Megan tried to understand what her new friend was saying. "So, Slytherins are , um, cunning? so people think your, er, mean so act, uh, mean to you so your mean back?" To her it sounded like a self fuffiling prophecy, like the ones she heard about in her muggle sociology lesson. "That's kind of stupid." She had never been good with people really.

Andrew didnt understand what Megan said with so many 'ums' and 'uhs'. "I didn't get you" he said with a confused look. He started laughing at himself for acting so jerkish. "Sorry, you were saying with so much of pausing that I didnt catch that" he explained with a smile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back