Celestyn Helkovaara

NYC based journalist

Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Wand
Black Walnut/ Maple Wand 12 3/4 Essence of Silver Thistle
Celestyn’s life had taken many twists and turns. After a brief stint in New Zealand, he had quickly grown bored and tired of the country as beautiful as it was, and in a mostly snap decision he had decided to uproot his life and move to New York City in America. He had made the move very officially via mostly muggle channels, but the job had been with a New York based, magical sports magazine. It wasn’t always the highest brow writing but it paid much better than his daily prophet job in New Zealand, he covered way more than just quidditch and truly life in New York suited him. Perhaps the biggest change was the fact he now had a son, and his son was just almost at the age to go to school. Magical school. Celestyn, who had never attended a magical school, knew it was important to know where he was sending him, but from what he could tell, apart form a slightly questionable history the school in America was perfectly suited to his son. Charlie was a good kid, it was just the two of them, and Celestyn tried his best to do everything right by him. He made sure he never had to look after him, as Celestyn had done with his own father, he made sure that he was integrated into the society here while still learning Finnish and about finnish culture. Celestyn didn’t want to lose his roots and he didn’t want Charlie to not know a little about where his family was from. Well...Celestyn’s side.
Who Charlie’s mother was not someone Celestyn knew well or at all. In fact after the night they’d spent together Celestyn hadn’t seen her since, but she’d given Charlie up and they’d first come to Celestyn if he wanted custody and of course he’d said yes. He loved his son dearly, even if he knew he wasn’t always open about it. Charlie was too young to understand why that was but he knew that it was the one area he wasn’t great at. He should express his emotions more but he found it endlessly hard. Celestyn’s hours were fitted around his son’s muggle school hours, but as he knew that Charlie would be off on his own at school soon, he had started giving him a little responsibility, namely, he was now allowed to walk home from school alone. Their home was the top floor of an old american flat block. It was within a largely magical community, so they didn’t have to do much to hide the magic within it, and the Helkovaara home was filled with magical knick knacks, books, brooms and the odd crystal ball. It was protected by magic and only those who knew the address could access it. It was a light and airy place, large bay windows, a spacious living area, even if the kitchen was therefore a lot smaller. There wasn’t too much of a view but he almost liked that contrast from both New Zealand and Helsinki. There were pictures dotted throughout, of Charlie growing up, of Celestny with friends, of New Zealand, of Helsinki, there weren’t any pictures of Celestyn and his parents.
Celestyn hadn’t been home long, he’d opened a few of the windows to air out the place, but he’d soon close them to keep the place from becoming too cold, not that Celestyn would mind. He was getting some coffee brewing and making dinner, something easily bridging the american culture that Charlie knew and the old Finnish meal he knew, Makaronilaatikko, baked macaroni with mince meat. Celestyn turned the muggle radio on as he cooked, vaguely hearing the sound of the key in the door.

Charlie couldn't complain about his life, not usually. He had a cool room, his dad was legit. He didn't really have a lot of friends, but that was okay, he liked to watch sports and read with his dad. Going out to games was always fun. They weren't the most affectionate people, but that was okay. Charlie enjoyed his life. His dad had even left him to walk home alone this year. Which had been fun, for a while. But it wasn't long before a few boys in his class had started waiting for him on the way home, pushing him around and taunting him.

He wasn't in the best mood today, he had a surprise math quiz and a rough English lesson. Not to mention the sweaty socks stuffed in his locker, that had fallen out when he'd opened it and showered him in dirty gym sock stench. He felt tired. He grumbled to himself as he came in, starving after having missed his lunch showering away gym sock stench.

"Dad, I'm back," he announced, dropping his bag and jacket by the door. He walked towards the kitchen, sighing as he fell into a chair at the table. "Smells good. What is it?" He asked, folding his arms on the table and setting his chin on his arms.

Last edited:
Celestyn glanced up from what he was doing, with a non-verbal magic the cooking continued as he turned around to look as his son sat down at the kitchen table. ”Finnish mac and cheese,” he walked over and leaned in pressing a kiss to his son’s head. The kiss was soft but it lasted for a moment. Celestyn spoke with a light accent, he’d never really truly lost his Finnish accent on the english, it had lessened, being more playful on his words. He leaned away and went to turn down the volume on the radio. ”How was your day?” he said with an interested tone. Since this conversation no longer happened on the way home Celestyn tried to ask it whenever he came home. He had noted in recent month’s that Charlie’s mood was as good as it had once been. Especially after school. He wondered if it was the growing anxiety of magic school, of leaving his few friends behind. He hoped it would be okay when he eventually went to magical school. ”Do you want some tea or a snack before dinner?” he asked.

Charlie sighed, shutting his eyes and letting out a soft breath. He always felt better around his dad. "Dad, can I just stay home?" He asked, looking away. If the other kids were already being jerks he cringed a little to think of what a private school would be like. He knew he'd been acting more open to the idea before, but really he didn't want to be so far away from his dad. It was just them; there were kids he talked to at school but none he'd really connected with. "Tea sounds good. With honey?"

Celestyn gave a little frown as he asked if he could stay home. He was figuring perhaps there was some trouble at school, but he thought it was important to continue to be present and involved in the local world until he was able to go to magical school. He gave a little sigh but summoned his diary, he flicked through the pages to this week and then the next few. ”Okay bud, if you wanna stay home for a little bit, then okay. I can work from home and you can come with me to some of the events.” he would need to talk to his boss and figure this out. Charlie was old enough to be left alone for short periods but he didn’t want to leave him alone for long periods of time. ”Can you stick out tomorrow, just so I can get things in place?” he asked. Celestyn nodded and began making tea for him. Maybe he could seek out magical kids of Charlie’s age, see if he couldn’t help him get a little more ready for boarding school. It was difficult, and he thought it would be helpful if he was more in contact with his family, then Charlie could spend more time away but..that was not to be. Celestyn glanced to Charlie as he finished making the tea, putting the honey in it and then handed it to him.

Charlie blinked as his dad said he could stay home. That... Was too easy. He realized quickly what had happened and shook his head. "No, dad, I mean, yeah I can stick out tomorrow, I meant... The other school. The magic one." He took the tea, cradling it in his hands and looking down at the liquid. "I don't want to go to Ilvermony, dad." He admitted softly, shaking his head.

Celestyn blinked owlishly before saying, ”Oh,” his frown deepened, ”Oh,” he repeated. He could imagine why he’d want to not go but his education was important and Celestyn didn’t have the time to teach him all magic and he didn’t want Charlie to end up doing it the way he had. ”Can you tell me why not? Is it Ilvermony itself or just magical school?” he said, ”I could see about Durmstrang? That was where I was supposed to go?” he wasn’t sure which is was what the reason was but he hoped that he would be able to help Celestyn understand so he could help.

Charlie knew his dad wasn't exactly thrilled with his answer. He sipped his tea, shutting his eyes and enjoying the warmth. He thought over his words, unsure how to put it. "I... I just... Don't want to go away. Can't I just stay here with you?'" he asked softly. He didn't say the rest of what he was thinking, that he would miss his dad and his room and that he didn't want to be alone and that being sent away to school felt more like a punishment, like his dad didn't want him around any more.

Celestyn was a little surprised that it was perhaps the going away part that he didn’t like, Celestyn did worry that with it just being the two of them with no other family if he’d maybe done wrong. Perhaps he should’ve kept in better contact with his mother so she could occasionally watch him and he’d be able to let him get used to being away from home. But he hadn’t. ”Bud, as much as I would love for you to stay with me, I’m not equipped to teach you magic, your magic could become uncontrollable and dangerous.” he told him. ”Studying at home isn’t easy either, you won’t have any peers, or professors to help you, or even the vast amount of books. Trust me Charlie, staying at home sounds nice, but it isn’t,” Celestyn had taken most of his exams late, knew he’d struggled to get the grades he had. His father hadn’t been able to teach him much and Celestny knew his magic had taken more time to refine because of it. ”But look, give it a go, give it one semester, and if it sucks, then we could see about moving to Scotland, getting you into the Hogwarts there, and I can live in the town next to it?” Moving them to Scotland wasn’t in his plan and it would be hard to find work, but he was somewhat hopeful that Charlie would like Ilvermorny and would end up not wanting to move.

Charlie sighed. He hadn't expected his dad to let him stay. Maybe it really was something Charlie had done. His dad was fed up with him and he didn't want Charlie around anymore. He pushed his tea away, mostly untouched. "We don't need to move, dad. I'll go." He pushed his chair back and stood. "I'm going to bed," he mumbled, not looking at his dad and starting to leave the room.

Celestyn frowned at Charlie’s reaction and lightly shook his head, with a little flcik of his wand the door lightly closed and he got to his feet. ”Nah bud, too early for bed, you just got home from school,” he said. He was keeping his tone light but there would be no arguing with it. ”Talk to me, is it Ilvermonry that you don’t like, or moving away?” Celestyn asked as he motioned for Charlie to sit back down. ”I need you to understand that I’m not sending you away because I don’t love you or because I don’t want you here, this is just the school process with magical kids and it’s to ensure you or anyone else doesn’t accidentally harm a muggle with wild magic.” he said with a heavy sigh. ”Not to mention, it’s lonely,” all the other kids would vanish, there would only younger ones, and muggle would be there but he wouldn’t be able to spend as much time with them, would be stuck at home by himself. Celestyn knew it wasn’t good. ”What about Hogwarts New Zealand, that’s where my mother and her family is, that way we don’t have to move but there’s still family close by and I can pop round whenever?” He need to reach out to his mother, maybe apologise a little for the absence but for Charlie he would do that.

Charlie shut his eyes, sighing to himself as his dad shut the door. He sat back down, not looking as his dad spoke. The older wizard rightly guessed Charlie thought he was being sent away because he wasn't wanted. He stuck his hands in his pockets, stretching his legs out and staring at the table. "Why does it have to be for so long?" He asked quietly, staring intently at the grains of wood in the table. "I just... what, don't see you for most of the year?"

Charlie shut his eyes, his next words much quieter. "I would rather be lonely here with you and my home than lonely at a school where I don't know anyone." he managed, shifting uncomfortably in his seat. "Some... some of the kids at school have started bullying me now that you aren't there. If I go away it's just going to be the same, the kids are going to pick on me and I won't even be able to come home anymore."

Celestyn nodded, listening to the questions, to what Charlie was asking. He was a little surprised that people had started bullying him at school, and it was difficult to assure him that he wouldn’t experience the same thing at magical school, he would hope not but of course there was no predicting the other people in the class. ”I know that the magical school in New Zealand has weekends where kids are allowed to go the local town and I could see you then,” he was sure that once Charlie got to school, once he made friends he wouldn’t want to see his dad every weekend, which would disappointing for Celestyn, but he knew that it was important for Charlie to grow up and be allowed to carve out his own path. ”I think you should give it a chance, we’ll go to New Zealand, visit my mother and you can check out the area there, see if you like the magical areas. If you’d rather go there I’ll see about getting you in. Regardless of where you go, I want you to give it a semester, and if you really hate it, feel lonely, get bullied, then we can revisit staying with you,”

Celestyn smiled at his son, ”And you know, if the kids at your school currently picking on you bud, then let’s just take you out of school, you don’t really need to be going anymore,” Celestyn was dreading reaching out to his mother, it had been years since he’d last seen her. Since he’d last spoken to her. He wasn’t sure how many kids his mother had gone on to have with her husband. But that didn’t matter when it came to Charlie. ”How does that sound?”

Charlie blinked, his spirits lifting a little as his dad said the other school had weekends where they could see each other. He nodded as his dad kept talking, finding it a little odd he would be bringing up Charlie's grandmother now. Charlie had never met the woman. He nodded even more as his dad said he could stay home from school now. "That sounds good," he spoke a little more enthusiastically. "I'll go to the... the... New Zealand? Place, if it means I can see you on the weekends." He picked up his tea, taking a long sip. "I just don't want to be that far away from you for so long," he admitted, looking away a little shyly.

Celestyn was nervous about reaching out to his mother, but he’d do that if possible. He couldn’t possibly afford two houses, or a house and an apartment, it would be pointless to do that. He smiled at his son who seemed to be more encouraged by his words. If he had known that his son was having such problems at muggle school he would’ve pulled him out earlier. Or sent him else where he would’ve figured something out. ”You’ll probably have to go back tomorrow to school, but I’ll be coming with and we’ll get you pulled out, hopefully you'll be free by the end of the day” Celestyn said. But he moved his hands and gently took his son’s face in his hands. ”I love you too bud,” he knew that he should hold on to his son saying such things about them, because it wouldn’t be long until he stopped. ”Right, do you want to help me with dinner?”

Charlie's entire demeanor softened, and he couldn't help but smile fondly at his dad. He laughed lightly as his dad took his face in his hands. It wasn't often that they said it, but Charlie was learning not to doubt it. "I didn't say it. But I do," he teased softly, stretching a little before standing and pushing the chair over to the counter to help him reach. He was still very short. "Okay! What can I do?" He asked, looking to his dad with an easy smile and sparkling eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back