Loved Ones Lament

Samuel Sykes

Setting the Scene​

It was many days before Sam was able to make his way up to the Owlery in secret. Of course, Sephora and the nurses (or anyone else who knew him) would kill him if they knew that he was up here, trying to send letters to his dear sister, Aunt Lola and Ellen Castor. It seemed as though they were his true family. Perhaps his mother and father had died years ago, perhaps they were still alive. Maybe he would find out from Candice over the coming weeks if she could remember who they were. Either way, he would give anything if they could visit him.

The longer he spent in the Hospital Wing, the worse he felt. Sephora worried over him constantly, and he couldn't draw breath without weakness. Sam has lost count of the number of times that he had fainted and had to be revived. Perhaps he would get better, if only he did not sneak off at every chance he got. Sam stole away to the lake at night time, to the Owlery during the nurse's break, and never once did it occur to the boy that the cold was doing him no good as he recovered. But it was terribly lonely as he sat with only his thoughts to comfort him.

As he sat on the feather-covered bench below the wooden cavern of twittering owls, Sam closed his eyes and bowed his head. He could not keep this up for long. The longer he fought for his secret independence, the more ill he became. Soon, if Ellen or Candice asked him how classes were going, he would have nothing to say. Please ... don't let me die here ...

Commence Correspondence​

Candice grinned as she finished her letter. She had only recently gotten time to write to him, a few weeks after learning of his existence. She was ecstatic that her brother was alive and she now knew him, she wanted to know everything there was to know about him. She sent off her owl towards Hogwarts, towards her brother. She really had to get used to that.

Dear Sammy,

I am soooooo Sorry I haven't posted before hand, I was a little busy. I got a job! It's in brightstone, the muggle market, so you can see me when you come down for the weekends. I am the shopkeeper, how cool is that?

Anyway, enough about me, how've you been?
Hopefully you've been good and have lots of freinds. Maybe even a girlfriend? I'm just being nosy, I want to know everything about you.

Lots of love, smiles and happiness
Your big sister.
Candie

Just as he entered the room, an owl fluttered down to rest on his thin shoulder, holding out a leg to him proudly. "Hello darling," he greeted it with a tired, gentle smile. Petting Calisto absently, Sam unscrolled the letter from her leg and lifted his shoulder to give her a boost. With a flutter of feathers she took off, coming to rest at the top most beam of the drafty tower. Eager to red, but just a eager to write, Sam sat down and pulled out a small roll of stationary parchment.
Candice Torres said:
Candie,

Congratulations on your new job! That's awesome news. Now I can tell everyone that I know the owner of the Muggle Market and score free stuff (but you know I'd never do that). Wow, you seem so young to be a shopkeeper. Not to play on a stereotype or anything, but shopkeepers are bald and old and all that. I really do have the most awesome big sister in the world.

I've been fine, mostly. I've had a bit of a cough but it should clear up in a few days. I caught a sniffle but it went away. Nothing drastic to report. But funnily enough I do have someone special I think. Well, I asked her out and we're going to the Yule Ball together. Her name is Sephora (she's really pretty!) and I'd like you to meet her sometime. We haven't gotten to see each other all the time since I've been - We met at the lake side and became friends.

But anyway, what's this about 'enough about me'? I want to know everything about you, just the same. Thanks for writing so fact (and don't worry about the post, you're a busy new shopkeeper!)

Missing you already,
Sam.
With many smudges and scribbles-out, Sam finally managed to finished the letter in legible hand. His usual perfect writing was shaky in fever-trembling hands, and it was time to head back to the Hospital Wing before he was caught. Satisfied, Sam whistled softly to his lovely golden brown owl and tied up a new message for Calisto. Luckily Candice wasn't too far away. He meant what he had written in the letter - Sam was missing her, and more than ever did he want some family to help him through.

Candice frowned at the letter, it was not satisfactory for her. She had seen his drawing so she knew he had a perfectly steady ahdn but his writing was shaky and wonky and there were bits scribbled out. She spent most of her spare time in the shop figuring out what they said.
Sam Sykes said:
Sam,

Sam, May I remind you I am your big sister. That gives me the rights to be as nosy as I want and to be as worried as I want about you. I may also remind you that scribbling things out doesn't mean I can't read them. Why are you trying to hide 'a bit of a cough' if it's just a small cough that you got over? I'm sorry if I've gone all naggy but I will worry when you write things like that and then scribble them out.

Anyway, on a lighter note. Congrats on getting yourself a girl kiddo. How about you send me a picture, let me see how pretty she is? Oh, I don't think you want me to meet her. I may not know any embarressing stories to tell her but I can still embarress you Sammy.

I miss you too,
Yours
Candie

Candice sent the letter back, still frowning. She hoped she was wrong but a gut feeling told her something wasn't right with Sam. She intended to find out what it was and, if she could, try to fix it.

</FONT>
In the Hospital Wing​
<FONT font="Tahoma">
Sam frowned as he read over his sister's letter. Perhaps he should have tried using a vanishing eraser instead, but it was hard enough filching a self-inking quill from the nurse's office. It had been the last thing he was thinking of, but now he would be sure not to write anything incriminating.

Today he hadn't the energy to leave his bed, and so while Sephora was in class, he began his letter tucked safely in bed. Every now and then he would feed a cake crumb to Calisto, and this time he would make no mistakes.
Candice Torres said:
Candie,
I'm sorry that I've worried you like this, but it really is just a cough. You must have more important things to worry about than that. Well, I'm not really over it yet, but it is flu season. I think I'll just make a cough draught when I get the time and I should be perfectly fine.

Aw, don't embarrass me in front of Sephora! You'll make me blush, I hate blushing. I've put a photo down the bottom. She's lovely, isn't she? I'm so lucky! But what about you? Have you got a boooyfriend yet? Can't hide it from me if you do, I'll find out!

Promising not to be sneaky,
Sam.
Sam smiled as he attached a photo to the bottom of the letter in a little square that fit perfectly. They had only taken a few photos together, but he had many more sketches of just her. His favourite was the drawing of the Great Lawn, with Sephora surrounded by the sparrows that she was feeding. Choosing another sketch, he attached it also to bottom of the page. He smiled as the tiny picture of Sephora blew a kiss up at him.

Sam's handwriting was still wobbly, but he had made sure not to scribble anything out or give it away. Please don't worry about me, he begged in his mind even as he began to cough again. Grabbing a handkerchief from the dresser, he buried his head into the pillow and cough till tears ran from his eyes. He'd been hiding the blood in his mouth for some time, but eventually the nurse would notice. I don't want to go to St. Mungo's. Please, don't find out ...

"CAKECAKECAKECAKECAKE!" Heketoro demanded, wiggling so hard he almost moved his high chair, and waving a wooden spoon around, flinging globules of cupcake batter over the walls and ceiling. Ellen brushed a stray strand of hair out of her face, exhausted, and took the spoon off him. "No cake for you if you're going to behave like this, young man." Ellen was two months pregnant now, and hormones were starting to take hold, though thankfully her morning sickness had eased slightly. Heketoro, seeing the angry, frazzled look on his mum's face blinked twice, then burst into loud, fussy tears.
"Oh shush." Ellen sighed, unable to cope. Just as she had picked Heketoro up to comfort him, the oven dinged, signalling that her cupcakes were done and needed to be removed. Groaning, she threw her floppy, angstily weeping son over her shoulder, supporting him with one hand and using the other to remove the hot tray from the oven. Unfortunately, she got her hands mixed up, and used the hand with the oven mitt to secure Heketoro, while her unprotected hand grabbed the hot metal, and she threw the burning tray at the bench, yelling loudly. Swearing, Heketoro still whining on her shoulder, Ellen raced across the kitchen to the sink and turned on the cold tap, thrusting her hand under the cool water, wishing she had help. She cursed herself for driving Simon away; She didn't love him anymore, but he was certainly handy to have around. Now he didn't even want to spend weekends with Heketoro, it was a disaster. Sighing, Ellen rubbed her son's back comfortingly until he calmed down, then slid him back into the high chair, where he sat, sniffling. Ellen turned off the tap then inspected the damage. It wasn't too bad; only one cupcake had landed on the floor, the rest were salvagable. She gave Heketoro the floor cupcake, since he didn't care, turned off the oven, and set about arranging the others in a box. She was going to give them to Winter as a happy-your-bakery-is-a-success present, but really, Winter had plenty of cupcakes of her own, and Ellen couldn't help thinking of someone else who was about as stressed as she was. Throwing away the card she had planned to attach for Winter, she quickly wrote another card.
Dear Sam
I thought you might enjoy these nuttella cupcakes. Smile, and remember you don't need to carry everyone else's problems.
Write back
-Ellen
Tying the cupcake box with note to the leg of her owl, Ellen sent the cupcakes off, hoping Sam was doing okay. And then, a wail as Heketoro realised his cupcake was finished brought her back to her present.

</FONT>
Ellen​

Once again, after the incident in the hallway, Sam was confined to bed again (as he should have been). To think that he had actually crawled out of bed and down the hall thinking he could get to the lake in time to cool his fever. The school nurse had eyed the cut bruise on the back of his head with intense suspicion after he had explained waking up in the middle of the night and bumping his head on the iron headboard. Not at all fooled, the nurse had deigned to lock the Hospital Wing doors the next night, and the next.

I had a fever! argued Sam in his mind. If I hadn't found Jessica, something awful would have happened! In the end, he had said nothing more on the subject and stayed in his bed obediently. Besides- he didn't really want to move anyway. He couldn't speak anymore and his chest was constantly tight and painful, so it was obvious that he couldn't return to classes. Sam was sulking this morning, poking at the vase of flowers by his bedside, when his grumpy mood was interrupted by a fluttering outside the window, then a soft thump. Sam looked up in alarm, realising that Calisto was back; she had cannoned into the window.

"Calisto!" he cried, or rather, whispered. Shimmying out of the bed covers, Sam scrambled to open the window. In hopped the dazed little owl, who stuck out its leg to him. No wonder she hit the window, Sam laughed inwardly. The owl was carrying a small package with her this time, only it was almost the same height as the owl herself. Sam relieved her of her burden before gathering the still stunned owl to his chest and perching her on the railing of the bed. Inside the package was a very enticing looking cupcake. Candice? thought Sam as he opened the small card. No. It was Ellen.

Ellen Castor said:
<FONT font="Tahoma">Dear Ellen,
You are such a life-saver! I haven't had cake in such a long time! You have really good timing. I see a few cake smudges; is Heketoro being a pain? Ooh hey, this cupcake is really good. What's nutella? I want more. xD

Oh, don't worry about me. Everyone's sorted out their problems for the moment, so I won't have to do another round of worrying for a little bit longer. Sorry, I can't help but be concerned with them! I've been a bit sick lately...
Furiously, Sam scribbled out the last line. He was not making the same mistake as he did with Candice, making he worry like she had. No, it was best that they didn't know that he was ill. So far he had received a few cards and packages from Aunt Lola, but that was only because the school had to let her know regardless.
Ellen Castor said:
I haven't been doing too much lately, so not wearing myself out of anything.
I can't wait till the Yule Ball! Alright, so I've never worn a tux before (I'm going to look so stupid), but I just want to see Sephora looking so beautiful. I asked Sephora out a few days ago and she said yes! Our first date is on the night of the Yule Ball, and I'm so nervous. Wish me luck! Oh, and tell me how you are yourself, won't you?

Sam,
He rolled up the parchment scroll, trying not to put nutella smudges onto it as he tucked into the cupcake. Off flew Calisto, sufficiently recovered, and Sam had to stuff the cupcake under his pillow when the nurse came to check his temperature.

Candice frowned, at least he was being honest about it. She grinned at the boyfriend comment, she was pretty sure she didn't. At least, she wasn't sure if he counted. Candice decided against putting him down.

Sammy Sykes said:
Sammy,

Hmmm, I'm not sure about this but I'll let it go for now, ou have to tell me if you're ill or I'll arrange something with the headteacher so I can get random check ups to come and see you. That means Sephora too. You're right though, she is lovely. You've done well to get a girl like her, I just hope her insidea are as nice as her outside.

I don't have a boyfriend, they are icky and you get cooties. Everyone knows that. Besdes, I don't know anyone to date. I have met you and three other people since I have lived here, not including my land lord, that doesn't give me much slection.

Yours, worrying,
Candie.

Candice smiled at her letter and sent it right back to her little brother before walking back to the front of the shop. Business had been extremely slow so far, not that she minded of course. Candice sat down and began to draw Sam from memory, not before putting the pictures of Sephora behind the desk first. Now all she needed was one of Sam, one that wasn't a drawing.

</FONT>
Candice​

Sam laughed as he read Candice's letter. Somehow she seemed just like him only a bit more excitable and brave. It seemed that she really was worried about him, and though he hated to lie like this, he would never forgive himself if he made her worry.

Pulling out a quill from the the little table drawer beside him, he decided to reply that very minute. Poor Calisto was getting a work out, but luckily the owl that Candice had sent to him was still waiting by the window. He trilled at it softly, to which is fluttered down to join Calisto on the table, waiting for him to finish his letter. His own owl's cage was on the opposite table, so he reached over to pull out the sunflower seeds and set them in front of both owls. They dived in without a second thought, feathery ears brushing as they fought over the food. Sam laughed and began to reply in peace.

Candice Torres said:
<FONT font="Tahoma">Candie,

Forget about the random check ups. Didn't I tell you it's just a cough? If you keep worrying like this yourself, you'll get sick. But either way, I'd love it if you came and visited. I don't know if you're allowed to though, but it is Brightstone weekend. If people can go see their parents, why can't you come and see me?

Sephora is as nice as you say, and more besides. I think we got together because we were so similar. She's fussing too much over me right now (which I suppose can only mean good things because she cares so much).

Hey, didn't you know that girls give you cooties, not boys? xD Well don't worry. You'll have a guy in no time, easy peasy. After all; if you found your long-lost brother in Brightstone, why can't you find a boyfriend, too? Well, don't worry so much and crack a smile every now and then - you'll feel better.

Hoping that you can visit,
Sam,
Sam didn't realise that if it was 'just a cough' he would probably be better by now. As it was, it was the best excuse he had at the time and he was sticking to it. Not entirely satisfied that the letter wasn't incriminating, Sam made sure to try even harder to get his writing straight. He set the letter down and lay back as he felt another coughing fit come on. This time, unnoticed by him, a single drop of blood fell on the bottom of the page. Off flew Candice's owl, and Sam lay back once more to sleep, exhausted by that one moment of weakness.

Candice looked up as her bird returned so quickly, she was about to tell her off for leaving without a reply when she noticed the paper attatched to the birds leg. She grinned, he musy be better if he could reply at that speed. Her grin evaporated when she saw the blood at the bottom of the page.

Candice read the letter urgently, scoffing when he said it was just a cough. She grabbed her writing utensils and began her reply, not even checking it this time, she just wrote straight from the heart.

Samuel said:
Samuel,

You almost convinced me you were fine in that last letter. I was almost there, thinking 'he's fine, you're over worrying' and about to smile it off when I noticed something that made me rethink my new decision and stick to singing my old tune. You realise it's hard to convinse someone you're fine when you write it on Blood Stained Paper.

Now, there might be a reasonable explanation and you might be laughing at my worry but i could just as well be your blood and you could be seriously ill and not wanting me to get by socks in a bunch over it all. Well if the last one is the case then you have failed. Epically. I want the real story this time, tell me what's going on or I will storm into that school by force if I have to and I will shake the truth out of you.

Candice

Candice didn't bother to read over it. If she had she would've noticed the use of full names, the fact she ignored most of his letter and that she was scared enough to be using the old sayings her adoptive mother had used. She sent off the bird immediatley and waitd for a reply. All she could do was sit and bite her finger nails.

</FONT>
Candice​

Strangely enough, Sam received his reply only an hour later. She must have something important to say, he thought, worrying himself. Frowning, Sam retrieved his quill from the drawer again. He was tired and had been awoken by the tapping on the window, but even so, this must be some sort of emergency. To his dismay he was out of ink already. With a muttered “Darn,” he pulled out his sketch pencil instead as the owl flapped down to perch on his bed. It was looking quite disgruntled at having been sent off twice in one day and stuck out its leg haughtily.

Sam untied the letter with a feeling of foreboding, and he was right. He blanched whiter and whiter the further he read down the page. Oh no.
What could he say? 'It's not blood, just tomato sauce from last dinner,' No. She'd see through that. 'Sorry, it was red ink. I was doing some more calligraphy." That was far more plausible, but he didn't like to lie. Candice had figured it out sure enough, and the guilt already too much.

Candice Torres said:

I told you not to worry. Well, it was a blood stain, but it's nothing that serious. I'm sorry but I just couldn't tell because I knew you'd react like this! Don't do anything silly like storming the castle, you won't get far.

The school nurse says its a lung infection. They take a bit more time to get over it seems, but other people have had much worse before in their life. The nurse says it's too dangerous to move about the school like this...
"Darn!" said Sam, trying desperately to scribble that last line out. He didn't have his eraser, so he tried smudging the crossed out lines as much as possible.
Candice Torres said:
I haven't been up and about much, which is why you haven't heard anything about my lessons. But as I said, don't worry because I was very healthy before I came down with it, therefore I should be quicker in getting over it. (But I'd like candy if you have any xD)

No more fussing!
Sam,
Sam wouldn't be able to explain the blood without setting off some sort of panic attack in Candice, so he left that matter be for now. Surely this would be enough to pacify her? All of a sudden, everything became too much, and with tears in his eyes, Sam tied the letter to the owl's leg again and sent it on its way. He couldn't cry without some pain in his chest so Sam turned over to bury his head into the pillow and sniff, crying silently into the cotton. I just want to get out of here,

Candice almost screamed with annoyance when she read his reply. He was avoiding her question, which meant it was his blood and he didn't want her to know about it, that usually meant that he would be hiding something. Something like an illness. Candice decided to wait a few day before replying.</COLOR>

Three days later Candice picked up her quill and began writing to Sam, she was calmer now.

Samuel said:
<COLOR color="#000">Sam,

To be quite frank with you, I didn't want to know about lessons. I asked about the blood stain at the bottom of the page. I have been making half hearted threats so far but I can assure you, if I don't get the truth about you soon I will contact the headteacher myself.

I didn't want to be a nag of a big sister but if you can't be honest to me then I guess I'll have to be. I am your family, I deserve the truth.

Candice didn't sign the letter, she had played nice but when she was worried about her onl family that she knew was alive, she brought out the big guns. Hopefully the guilt trip written nito her words would make him tell her, otherwise she was completely serious about contacting the headteacher. Dishonesty wasn't tolerated by Candice, not one bit.

</FONT>
Candice​

The longer he spent in the Hospital Wing without a reply, the more nervous Sam got. Was she planning on gallivanting off to Hogwarts to demand to see him? But he had explained to her that he had a lung infection, didn't he? What more could he say to Candice?

He almost leaped out of his skin as there was a loud tap on the window. Calisto looked up in alarm just as Sam did, who practically fell out of bed to open the window for her owl. "Ouch!" said Sam hoarsely as the owl gave him a sharp peak on his hand when he unlatched the window pane. "Thanks a lot," he grumbled softly as the owl held out its leg with the letter attached. Eager to read the letter, Sam snapped the string and flopped back into bed, reading down the page.

The further he read, the more frightened he became. It was true; his explanation hadn't been enough this time, and now she was truly threatening to write to the headmistress or master. Sam doubted that they even knew how long one first year boy had been spending in the Hospital Wing. If he hadn't been hiding the blood in his mouth every time he coughed, he would have been sent off to St. Mungo's a long time ago. Sam hurriedly pulled out a fresh sheet of parchment and his now worn-down pencil to reply desperately.

Candice Torres said:
<FONT font="Tahoma">Candice,

Please don't contact anyone about it, Candice! I'm sorry that I didn't explain the blood. But I told you before, I didn't want you to know because you'd act like this!

Ok.

I've been coughing blood for about a week now, but I don't want the nurse or the teachers or anyone else to know, because they'll send me to St. Mungo's and I don't want to go. I don't like hospitals, and I really don't want to leave Hogwarts right now. I'll miss Potions, and the Yule Ball, and especially Sephora. If I stay here for a bit longer I'm sure I'll get better. Please don't tell anyone ... please?

(What about that candy...)
Sam,
He was sniffing hard, and tears were dripping onto the page, but he rolled it up regardless and sent Calisto to deliver the letter. I hope it gets there before she does anything rash, though Sam as he rubbed his eyes heavily.

Candice read over the letter and sighed,. she had been a little rash sounding in her letter. She waited until the shop was clear before replying to her worried brother.
Sammy said:
Sam,
Okay, I wont talk to the school about it but tell somebody you've been coughing blood. That is a serious symptoms and doesn't just go away.

I want you to tell me if you get better or worse, and I'll know if you're lying.

Yours,
Candie

ps. Hope you like the cookies.

Candice smiiled and attatched a bag of cookies to the letter before sending it off.

((Sorry fr lameness, in an IT lesson))

(( That's alright! Mine's probably going to be equally lame xD ))</FONT>
Candice​

Sam grinned to himself as he pulled the bag of cookies from his latest post. He was still quite nervous as to her reaction this time but decided not to fuss about it - besides, she had sent him sugar! That had to be a good sign. Perhaps she may not have forgiven him for lying to her like that, but she seemed to have accepted his apology for now. Truly, he hadn't lied to her about anything else, and Sam thought he was safe for the moment.

Candice Torres said:
wrote Sam, spilling a large blot of ink onto the parchment almost immediately in his shaking hands. "Well, bugger." he said in irritation, trying to blot the ink with an old handkerchief.
Candice Torres said:
Candie,
I am a bit scared of telling someone, but I guess you're right. Yesterday someone found me in the third floor corridor almost passed out from fever. Apparently I had been trying to get to the lake to cool myself down. The lake, honestly! Luckily someone else came along to get me back to the Hospital Wing, but the nurse is keeping a sharper eye on me.

I don't mean to scare you by writing this. I figured you'd get even more upset if I kept it from you. Don't worry, it won't happen again! I didn't know what I was doing at the time.

Thank you so, so much for the cookies. They're not letting me eat cake! All this fresh fruit and vegetables stuff is fine, but I need my sugar fix :cry: . A few cookies should be fine. Where'd you get these anyway? They're really good!

Nomming the choccie bickies,
Sam,
He grinned at this, spilling a few crumbs onto the page without realising it. Suddenly he was startled as the door creaked open and the nurse entered. With lightning speed he stuffed the rest of the bag under his pillow and flopped back, pretending he had been like that all the time. Sam specifically neglected to mention to Candice that he wasn't better yet, but hopefully she wouldn't notice. Soon the nurse approached to take his temperature and he sighed.

He'd better be well for the Yule Ball.

Candice smiled at the reply, at least now he was benig honest. She assumed, by the lack of correction, that he was still ill. She shook her head and began to reply.
Sam Sykes said:
Sammy

I'm glad you liked them, There's a little bakery in between my apartment and the shop, it has the yummiest food in there.

So don't tell them, just don't clean it up. M<ake them find out on their own. I'm sure if you ask them they'll let you stay in school. Make a big fuss about grades or something like that, it usually works. You do have to let them know how bad it is though, they can't help you if you wont tell them the entire problem.

Your bestest sister with the bestest cookies
Candie

Candice sent away the owl, hoping he would listen to her and let someone know. She had promised herself she wouldn't write to the school but felt that, if this got worse, she would have to break the promise.

Candice​

It was only two days before the Yule Ball, and Sam was starting to get a bit scared that he might not be better in time. He was more tired and exhausted than ever before, and sleeping twelve hours at a time with shorter and shorter gaps in between. Yet his infection was beginning to show signs of lifting! Perhaps he was getting tireder after his body had done all that fighting to become well again.

There was a now familiar fluttering outside of his window. Sam hadn't bothered closing it as the nights were beginning to get hotter in the month of Summer. Candice's owl came in to perch on his chest and gave him a sharp peck on the nose. "Ow," mumbled Sam quietly. He reached up to pacify the unhappy fowl be unscrolling the letter to read. Shortly afterward he took out the short nub of pencil left and began to reply.
Candice Torres said:
Candie,
Ha ha, don't call me Sammy =D It makes me feel like a little baby. Aunt Lola call me Sammy. That, and 'Sammykins", "Sammy-boo", "Little Sammy-wammy" and, just to annoy me, "Samantha." Somehow I get the feeling she wishes she adopted a girl instead.

I'll take your advice in this instance. The nurse has been giving me this perfectly foul purple medication that seems to be working. I'm very tired, but you'll be happy to know that I'm getting better. Man those cookies were so good. Will you take me to that store when the holidays come around? Or even to your house, and I've love to see your shop!

Someone who'd rather have their sister over cookies any day,
Sam.
This letter was a lot happier than the other ones he'd written so far, and Sam was pleased with it. Giving a whistle to Calisto, he called her over and attached the new letter to her stubby leg. "Off you go, love" he whispered as he watched the bird sore out of the window. Sam looked at the flight of the owl and smiled ... one day he'd fly like that again. But in the meantime, it was just best to wait.

Candice grinned at the lighter, happier tone to his letter. She started to reply immediatley, only pausing when she got customers.

Sam Sykes said:
Little Sammykins,

Giggle, though I'd take a few words from your aunts book. Don't worry, you're not the only one that was given embarressing nick-names by guardians. Diana (My adoptive mummy) used to call me her little candie bar and her little sweet. Little things like that, things to do with food mostly. The brothers just called me Red. Can you guess why? Giggle

You sound so much better now, hopefully you'll be better in time for the yule ball. I want you to have a wonderful night with your darling Sephora. How is she anyway? I want constant updates on the both of you. I need things to embarress you with after all, only joking. (Mostly :p )

Don't worry, I'll bring you down to the bakery when you're next out of school, It's near Brightstone anyway so I'm sure you can sneak away. Don't tell people I'm encouraging this though. Giggle.

I meant to ask you, Are you staying at the school over christmas? Either way I was wondering if it would be possible for you to come over to me for a couple of days? If you're with your aunt and she doesn't like it then don't bother but I've bought you a present already. I think you'll like it.

Yours, hoping you can come,
Candie [/color]

Candie wasn't comfertable calling the woman Sam lived with, her Aunt. She was Sam's, it was someone she had never met. She quickly added her latest doddles onto the back of her letter and sent it away.

</FONT>
Candice​

This was probably the worst morning of Sam's entire life. He had ended up missing the Yule Ball entirely, stuck in bed as the distant sounds of laughter and music drifted through the open door of the Hospital Wing. Even those with injuries had ventured out and those who couldn't even got a few visitors. Not Sam. Everyone was at the Ball enjoying their night. As he lay in bed, staring up at the pristine white ceiling, Sam wished so hard that he could have been with Sephora. I'm make it up to her on Valentines day, he promised himself firmly. We'll have the most wonderful day together and take her to dinner, and we'll go dancing as much as we want...

A flapping interrupted his consolations to himself, and he smiled to welcome another letter from Candice, whom he knew it would be from. Sam was glad to have some sort of company today, and unscrolled the letter with a smile to read.

Candice Torres said:

Aw man, not you too! I'll just call you Bertie then. Bertie Botts, geddit? I'm just kidding, but you have to remember that I'm not that young! Sammykins indeed... xD
Finally something's going right it seems. My temperature's gone done! It's good because it's nearly Summer, and they say that it's going to be such a stinker this year. I'm still not well enough to leave yet (I get dreadfully tired), which brings me to that next problem.

I missed the Yule Ball. I'm really quite upset about it! (I know you'd laugh at me, but Sephora means the world to me and she must have been so worried these past few weeks). I don't think I can wait another week to get better. They might send me home early. Which reminds me, I have to write to Aunt Lola and tell her more about you! (she's a bit nervous and protective because I'm all she has, the poor dear). If I want to stay with you, I'll have to do that first.

Looking forward to meeting the family,
Your Sam.
These letters truly brightened up his day. Candie was an awesome big sister who seemed to really care about him already, and her letters felt as though they were filled with sunshine, laughter and good wishes. Things will be alright, Sam told himself. Just wait a while longer and you'll see.

Candice's face dropped when she read his letter. The poor boy missed his first yule ball, it was especially bad as he actuallly had someone he cared about to go with him. She ddn't wait this time, she started to reply immediatley, pausing only to let a customer pay. The shop was going terribly slowly but the odd stragler came in once in a while.
Sammy said:
Sammy,

Well it's good to know you're getting better. I hope you can come over here, Diana and the boys have all managed to find out who I was writing to all the time, I kind of forgot to tell them about you sorry, and they are insisting they meet you. Trust me, while that sounnds like a good thing, it kind of isn't.

That's not good, that's not good at all. Did she come to visit you instead? Or did you do the noble thing and let her go to the ball and have fun? Well, there's one every year so you can plan for next year and don't forget valentines day soon.

Yours
Bertie :p

Ellen had been meaning to reply to Sam's letter for months now, but what with work, Heketoro, and her slowly growing stomach, she hadn't had the time to write anything. The strange occurrance of a peaceful day didn't come until two months after her first letter to him; cupcakes cooling on the bench, Heketoro fast asleep from a day out with his daddy (a painful encounter on Ellen's behalf) and Ellen's bump blissfully still. She had finally found out she was expecting a daughter, though she had been sure it would be a boy; she kicked harder than her older brother and sister combined! Relaxing exhaustedly on the sofa, Ellen pulled out paper and quill and set about writing a response to her young friend.
Sam
It was so good to hear from you! I'm sorry it took me such a long time to reply, things have been quite chaotic around here lately. Nutella is the most incredibly delicious spread on the planet, you deprived child! It's hazelnut and chocolate, I've included a container of it with the cupcakes, so you can try it for yourself. It goes well on toast with loads of melted butter.

Not worrying is good for you. Just relax and let things happen; you'd be surprised how well they can work out all by themselves! If you feel yourself starting to worry, drop what you're doing and go grab one of these cupcakes. They'll work wonders, I promise. I'll try to send some more as soon as I can.

Oh, the yule ball must have been and gone! Was it wonderful and magical? Did you dance with your pretty lady friend? My first yule ball was a disaster. I had the most hideous dress you could possibly imagine; it was yellow and made me look like a big brown mustard seed. I spent the whole evening crying in the corner because Gabriel Blume didn't want to dance with me. (What a stinker! I had the biggest crush imaginable on him for three years, but he never knew.)

I am doing alright... I'm getting lovely and fat, the baby kicks far more than can be healthy for someone who's only existed for four months. I found out I'm having a girl, I plan to name her Marama. Heketoro is excited to meet his new sister. He's asleep now, he spent today playing with his daddy. Simon and I are divorced, so needless to say it was not my best day ever. Oh well, onwards as ever :) (See, this is that not worrying thing I told you about.)

Enjoy the cupcakes, they're red velvet this time.
-Ellen

Letter finished, Ellen heaved herself out of the seat, folding the letter and tying it to a box, which she filled with as many cupcakes as would fit, and an unopened jar of nutella, before sealing it and tying it to her owl carefully. The owl hooted once, then flew off to deliver it's cargo, and Ellen went to go have a nice wee nap while Marama wasn't kicking.

</FONT>
Candice​

This time Sam's reply took several days to finish. He was so dreadfully tired that he wrote a few sentences every couple of hours, falling into such deep and fretful sleeps in between that even thinking about writing made him want to keel over. Finally when he was awake at one in the morning, unable to sleep due to the heat, he lit a candle and scribble the last few lines out onto the parchment. He promptly collapsed back onto the bed, but clever Calisto knew just what to do with this particular letter. Picking up the roll between two claws, the owl fluttered onto the open window sill, taking one last look at the pale sickly boy looking like death in the white hospital gown.

Candice Torres said:
Sorry, I spelled something wrong in the last letter. I meant to say that my temperature's gone down, not done. That doesn't make any sense xD. Candice, I'm not getting any better. I want to talk to the school nurse but there's not much more I can say that I haven't already told her before. This medicine is keeping the fever down but I'm just feeling worse and worse. I can't stand it anymore, I have to get out of this place. I can't even move around anymore.

But when I am better, I'd really like to meet your siblings. Are they older than you? You told me that one of them is a tattoo artist (and I seriously have to get a tattoo from him next year. Please? Please, please, please?). But what does your other brother do? What are their names, what are they like? It'd be really awesome to have older brothers!

Sephora didn't end up going to the ball after all. I wanted her to, but I guess she thought that there wasn't much point. I'm far more worried about her than I am about myself, frankly. Anyway, I'm taking her on a thousand dates to make up for it. (Oh my gosh, where do you take a girl on a date?). She deserves a lot better than this.

Thanks for listening to my rambling,
Sammykins.
Calisto finally returned early that morning, and the tiny owl flapped past her cage to perch on the bars of the hospital bed. With a soft hoot, it nuzzled the sleeping Sam on the cheek and scooted close to him, cuddling up with its little feathery body. It too knew that something was wrong.

Candice looked up as an owl flew through the door she was trying to close. "You know, you're not making it easier to close the shop." She scolded it before giggling at the thought of her talking to an owl. She sat down and began to read the letter, frowning at the beginning, very worried about her baby brother. She waited until the next morning to reply, letting the bird rest aswell as herself.

Samuel Sykes said:
Sammy,

I think maybe you should go to St Mungo's. I know you don't want to but, from your progress or lack of, it sounds like the best thing to do. They have more resources and could fix you up in no time. I'm sure they can bring you your homework and maybe there could be a way for Sephora to visit during Brightstone weekends?

Speaking of Brightstone weekends, I swear there is one now, either that or a lot of children have snuck out of school. ow about, if she does come down here, you tell Sephora to come and visit me in here. I'd love to meet her, she sounds lovely.

My brothers' want to meet you as well, and I have made Kyle promise not to give you ink when they do. I told you no tattoo's till you're sixteen, keep begging and I'll make it eighteen. However, he is allowed to give you a piercing if you so wish. Hell, I could give you a piercing if you wanted it, but you have to look after them, really, if they get infected it can be hell.

Let's see, Kyle is the tattooist, he's the oldest (25), he's mega awesome. He taught me to do tattoo's and piercings for my birthday present. Then there's Jason who is an accountant, he's 23 and kind of more boring than everyone else but it's fun to mess with him. Finally there's Jacob, he doesn't have a job and he's only nineteen, he prefers going out and getting drunk than actually working but he's still cool. When he doesn't have a hangover that is.

Where to take a girl on a date? I don't know. What does she like doing? You could take her to a fancy restaurant if she's a romantic but, if she refers fun times, you could do something like paint balling. It's all up to what she is like.

Your darling sister. :D
Candie.

Candice sighed, hoping all of that would help him in someway, and sent her letter back to him. She hoped he would be well enough to reply and, if he wasn't, that he would listen to her advice and see if he could go to st mungo's.

</FONT>
Candice​

Sam got his reply only a day later, but Candice received no word from him for about a week. During that time her had begun rehabilitation with the school nurse, who had determined that reason he was not getting any better was because of his mood. A sad heart never helped one get over a long illness, and instead Sephora was asked to give up as many afternoons as she could spare to help him regain his strength. Eventually he was able to move out of the Hospital Wing every now and then and into the grounds for some sunshine. Pale skin did not suit his colouring in the slightest.

It was another week before Sam was permitted to return to lessons, and participation in the Muggle Sports Club was definitely on hold. Lessons only and walking. No swimming, no homework; nothing that would force him to overexert himself physically or mentally. Now, after two weeks of nothing and a holiday at Brightstone almost halfway through, Sam finally picked up his pen and began to write.

Candice Torres said:
I am so dreadfully sorry that I haven't been able to write. It's been a hard road back to becoming healthy again, and Aunt Lola hasn't let me so much as peel as potato. She thinks this is homework, which is the only reason she's letting me write right now. Frankly, I still haven't told her about you because the last few months of my being ill has set the poor dear on edge. I'm afraid she'd flip out, thinking I'd been hypnotized by a dark and mysterious stranger into thinking I have a sister.
Sam paused in his letter writing, guilty that it had been so long till he was able to send a letter to her. Another day and he felt she would have hunted him down or owled the school.
Candice Torres said:
Speaking of, I'm at home at the moment in Appleby! It's not far from Brightstone, which is why I really want to come and visit you because the holidays end. (I'll stop pestering you about a tattoo if I can get my ear pierced and you bring cookies :p). I suddenly feel like I've gained a whole new family by meeting you, event though it's not fair to say that they've suddenly got a little brother. I'm sure they're quite tired of brothers. Even so, can I meet them? If they're half as cool as you, I'd be happy.

Sephora's gone away for the hols I think, but maybe you can meet her next time. I'd be so nervous about asking her on a date though! Knowing Sephora, perhaps she'd like to go to the beach. She didn't mind swimming with me last time. A cafe sounds like a good idea, too. We're cake-o-holic's xD. But I haven't asked yet ... have you got a guy? Tell me if you do, so I can start teasing you!

Love and apologies,
Sam.
He hoped that would be enough, and also that it would not be too much. Sam had missed her terribly. He was still fairly weak and occasionally had coughing fits, but the nurse said that her would regain his stamina in the end. But Sam would not wait for that, and he would see his sister by hook or by crook.

Candice looked up as an owl flew into the window of her flat. She opened the window and watched the dazed bird hop in. She let out a sigh of relief when she saw it was from Sam. The blonde girl had been on the verge of hunting him down to see what was taking him so long. She read through and let out a woop of happiness at the news he was better.
Sammykins said:
Sammy,

YAY, you're better. That's amazing news. That news is enough for me to allow your EXTREMELY LONG absence of communication. seriously, I was almost ready to hunt you down and force you to write.

I can see why you wouldn't tell her. If she's the only family you have in her point of view then it would be slightly upsetting for her to find out you have someone else as well. Also, there's the whole hypnotized thing as well. But, don't you think it would be worse if she found out that you knew there was more family and didn't tell her. Plus, there is proof that we are family and, if she wants, we could always go to st mungo's for a test, they can tell us we're related.

I'll make you cookies and get you your ear pierced, but only if it's the left one. Well, Kyle is syked to meet you. He's all hyped up, bouncing off of the ceiling at the thought of a younger child to influence. The other two aren't really bothered but Diana is waiting for you to come round to meet her. She's my mum, well, adoptive but still basically my mum. She's all prepared to accept you as her own son as well, she forced me to draw you just so she knows what you look like.

Of course I don't have a guy, guys' have cooties. :p. Don't worry if I do meet a guy then I'll tell you. Just remember, you can tease me all you like but I'm going to meet Sephora one day and I remember you as a baby. I can tell her all sorts of things you don't want me to.

That reminds me. I found a few boxes of things I owned when I got adopted and in them was some pictures of us as kids. There is a great one of you in the laundry basket, really, it's hilarious and I'm sure Sephora would love to see it :p. I'm only messing.

Your very excited sister.
Candie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back