Lost

Hayley Swan

Hayley was wandering around the grounds, her ipod on full blast, she was a little lost in her thoughts, she had found out her cousin, Brogan, was dating a fifth year. It had surprised her because she didnt realize Brogan knew anyone at HNZ.

It was around 9pm, and the sky was darkening, but Hayley didnt want to return to her dorm thhis early. So she walked into the forest, it was darker in here than in the grounds so Hayley lit her wand, and walked into the tree's deeper and deeper.

After around 10 minutes Hayley came to a clearing, it seemed nice, so she sat down, leaning on a fallen log, and stared into the tree's, wondering what creatures were in there.

Alex found himself once again walking in the forest. he wanted to find the thestrals that he had seen in his class, intruiged by them. He pushed branches out the way before coming to a clearing. He saw a girl, probably a first year sitting on the log. 'Boo'he said smiling. 'Mind if I pass through?'Alex asked, adjusting the bag on his shoulder that he had filled with stolen bits of raw meat from the kitchen.

Hayley jumped, she hadnt heard anyone approach. She turned off her ipod and shoved it into her bag. 'Hey,' Hayley smiled, the boy looked older, and was cute. 'Sure,' She smiled. 'Im Hayley.' She introduced herself, smoothing down her jeans.

Alex held back his laughter when the girl jumped. He hadn't expected her to but that was it. 'Alex'he said going over and holding out his hand to shake. 'So what brings you here? Checking out all the rumours?'he joked with her as he kept his eyes on the trees every now and then. Thestrals could be anywhere he thought.

Hayley smiled and shook his hand.
'Um i dont know, i just wandered in here.' She told him with a small smile, 'Rumors?' she asked, Hayley hadnt heard any rumors about the forest.

Alex smiled and looked at her. 'You haven't heard them? thoguht it was tradition the first years got told them?'Alex said, obviously teasing her. 'Oh, never mind anyway. They haven't been proved true yet so no need to fret'Alex added after a pause.

'Mm go on tell me,' Hayley smiled, she wasnt easily freaked so she could take a couple scary stories.
'Go on tell me, im not a wimp.' She grinned.

ALex laughed. 'Nope. I can hardly remember the whole story'Alex said smiling. He thought for a while. 'Ever seen a thestral?'he asked her.

Hayley nodded, 'Sure.'
'A thestral?' Hayley had heard of it but couldnt remember where. Then she remembered, 'No, but my cousin Brogan has, they're those winged horses that you can only see if you've seen death right?'

Alex smiled. 'Absoloutely. You're the first person who I've asked that knows'Alex told her smiling before thinking to himself. She was the first person you asked. 'Yeah, I was trying to find them. Great at hiding mind you.'Alex continued before shutting himself up. He wasn't go on about thestrals for the whole time. suddenly out the corner of his eye he saw the head of one a couple of metres outsdie the clearing and grinned. Quickly spotting the location he sprinted to the edge of the clearing and jumped over the bush, landing as if he hadn't been doing any excercise at all. He smiled and brought out a bit of meat throwing it to the thestral now metres before him, bowing slightly.

'Awesome,' Hayley said, flashing him a small smile.

Hayley watched him sprint off and jump over a bush. She didnt understand why until she saw him reach in his bag and pull something that looked like raw meat and threw it a few meters infront of him. Hayley almost gasped when it got smaller and smaller. But she held it in, an amazed grin on her face, he had obviously found a thestral.

Alex waited a few minutes, just staring calmly before the thestral walked a bit more towards him. Alex put his hand up and closed the distance smiling as the thestral allowed him to stroke him. It nudged his bag and Alex laughed. 'All right, all right'he said getting another peice out and chucking it in the air. 'Amazing, isn't he?'Alex said talking to Hayley again.

Hayley watched in amazement as he rested his hand on something invisible to Hayley. 'I cant see him, but yes it really is.' She murmured, not wanting to disturb the thestral.

Alex's smile fell when she said she couldn't see them. 'Oh.'He said before the thestral came back. He was once again nudged by it and he stroked him smiling. An idea dawned on him and without warning, Alex took Hayley's hand and placed it softly on he Thestral's neck for her to see where he was.

Hayley laughed slightly when Alex placed her hand on something, 'Oh my god, wow!' Hayley cried, 'Seriously wow!' Hayley grinned, smoothing her hand around what she presumed to be the thestrals neck.

Knowing the thestral was here under her hand made her wish to be able to see it. But after thinking twice she changed her mind.
'Um, if you dont mind me asking, but did you see someone die then?' Hayley asked, slightly cautiously.

Alex smiled. 'Actually, I do mind you asking but yes, I can see them, bright as daylight'Alex said before searching in his bag for another peice of meat. Alex smiled as he let the thestral eat it off his hand, only obtaining a scratch on his hand. 'Nice creatures aren't they though? It's a shame some people can't see them'Alex said wiping the blood from his hands on his jeans. 'They're part of the rumours by the way. Things suddenly banging into you'

Hayley smiled, she hadnt really expected Alex to tell her who he'd seen die. She took her hand off the thestral and watched the meat get smaller once more. She noticed a small strach on his hand, but didnt point it out.
'Amazing. What do they look like?' Hayley asked smiling. 'Ah so you remember little bits of these rumors then.' She laughed.

Alex smiled. 'Well, they're like horses, except there skinnier. And they've got bat sort of wings next to the wither.'Alex said trying to describe them. He wasn't doing a very good job though. 'Oh, and this one here is black. Most of them are grey to black but you get the odd few that differ.'Alex added. 'They're really good flyers though. An online map in here'ALex said stroking its head smiling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back