Little Talks

Jacob Finley

Thundelarra Thunderer Seeker l Back Home
OOC First Name
Tamara
Wand
Straight 11 1/2 Inch Flexible Alder Wand with Augurey Tail Feather Core
Jacob didn't like the outdoors as much. He liked astronomy and you needed to be outside for that sometimes, but it didn't require a lot of outdoor activity. He decided to go outside today since everyone inside seemed to have completely lost it over the upcoming exams. The nerves and sweat could almost be smelled from every corridor and it annoyed Jacob. He walked outside with his journal and a pen. He still didn't want to write with a quill and some annoying pot of ink. Why wouldn't wizards take over the easy muggle inventions. I mean they could do without the internet, but a pen made life a lot easier. He walked to the lakefront and sat on a stone enclosed with some reeds. Jacob opened his journal and started to write about his day and what he had observed. He liked the quietness that the lake gave him at the moment. The lake wasn't stressing about upcoming exams or what people wanted with their lives.

Kira was actually enjoying that everyone was too busy studying, for once. She had this bad habit that Tyra absolutely hated, but whenever the Inn was empty for a few hours of daylight, Kira did it anyway. She hadn't done it since coming to Hogwarts, but she saw an opportunity now and she had gladly taken it.

For the past two hours, Kira had been wandering around with her nose stuck in a book, not looking where she was going. She couldn't quite say why she liked it- maybe it was like a mini-adventure. She would be lost in a book's pages, and every time she looked up she would be somewhere new without an idea how she got there.

There was one drawback to this exercise of hers, however. She tended to trip and fall often. Maybe she should have seen it coming. She had been doing fabulously so far. She hadn't run into anyone, bumped into any walls. But something tripped her up now and she went sprawling to the ground with a startled cry.

Judging from the faceful of grass, she had made it outside at some point. And she could hear water, so that meant she was at the lake. Kira let out a small sigh. She was sure she had scraped her knee, she could feel a bit of blood trickling down her leg. She lay there a moment, defeated.

Writing in his journal kept Jacob busy and sometimes the world around him seemed to dissolve. Which was currently happening and Jacob was totally into what he was writing. Until suddenly he heard a sound. It startled him and Jacob started to look around. Until he saw where the sound had come from. It was Kira, he had met her in the common room in one of the first weeks of school.

He stood up from the stone and closed his journal. Jacob didn't really know what to do so he didn't rush to her side. He walked over to her and checked her over. Only her knee seemed to be scraped and overall she looked fine. ''Are you alright?'' he asked awkwardly. He had no clue what he should do at this moment. It wasn't like he took a package of bandages in his bag every time he went out. Jacob shrugged and look around to see if there was anything he could use. Then again it wasn't deep and it was only a small trickle of blood. Kira wouldn't die and that reassured Jacob. Jacob held out his hand so he could help Kira getting up. ''What happened?'' Jacob smiled.

Kira almost died of embarrassment when she heard the voice. Someone had seen her fail, epically, and she wanted to disappear into the ground. At least, until she recognized the voice. She glanced up and smiled shyly. "Hi Jacob." He held out his hand. She picked up her book and accepted his outstretched hand. Once she was standing again she brushed the dirt off her skirt. She held up her book and grinned crookedly.

"I wasn't paying attention to where I was going," She admitted with a blush. "So, what are you doing out here? Looking to get away from all the studyers?" She made up the last word, she was sure.

When Kira was standing it was already a lot better. She even acknowledged the fact that she was clumsy secretly. Or at least that was what Jacob made from it. Jacob smiled and looked at the blush appearing on her face. Jacob nodded he was definitely looking to get away from the people with books everywhere. ''I can stand seeing everyone stressed with studying for the exams'' Jacob said honestly. The people with their heads stuck in the books were almost zombie like and although Jacob mainly had a journal glued to his face it was different.

''What are you doing here besides falling down?'' He said while smiling. It wasn't that he meant it badly, but it did sound oddly. He didn't know if Kira went outside every day, he never came outside so who was he to know.

Kira laughed. "Well, normally I would be in the gardens. Have you been yet? They're really pretty. But with all the studyers, I took it as a chance to read and walk." She held up her book, a small smile on her face. "It's always been a dangerous habit that my sister hates, but I enjoy it." She brushed a strand of hair behind her ear.

"I think I've studied enough to take our exams and the next years exams," She teased. "I thought a breath of fresh air might be nice."

When Kira asked if he had been to the gardens yet, he felt a bit stupid. He knew there were gardens, or what that just him fooling himself. ''No, I haven't been anywhere outside really'' he said awkwardly. ''Reading and walking sounds very dangerous indeed'' You could easily walk into a tree or fall into a hole. ''Air seems to be nice indeed'' Jacob smiled broadly. It was still awkward, but a bit less. ''Have you enjoyed Hogwarts so far?" Jacob was indeed curious. He had liked astronomy, but that was about it.

Kira smiled at Jacob. "Well, I've certainly learned a lot. I liked Potions and Herbology best, I think. What about you?" She asked, curious. She still liked Jacob and she genuinely wanted to get to know him better. They hadn't talked much since that awkward first encounter and she wanted to change that. She gestured to his previous seat. "Do you mind if I sit with you?"

When Kira said she liked potions and herbology the best Jacob smiled. He hated herbology, but potions was decent. ''I didn't like herbology as much, but potions was fun I just wished we could brew our first potion'' He knew potions could be dangerous, but maybe brew a tonic or something easy. The first year seemed more like a badly scripted musical than a legit course. ''I liked astronomy the most'' Jacob loved the subject and it was the winner by far. ''No, do sit down'' Jacob muttered softly. He liked the ripples in the water and the reeds flowing the wind. It soothed him and he went quiet for a bit. ''What do you like about herbology and potions?'' He spoke softly. Jacob was genuinely interested in Kira and smiled.

Kira smiled and sat down with Jacob. "Astronomy is a close second," She admitted. "My brother-in-law loves to talk about the stars." She got a soft look on her face.

She glanced at Jacob before looking back at the water. They fell into a comfortable silence, and she could see why he liked it out here. Being in the garden was relaxing, but out here... it was more serene.

Jacob pulled her out of her thoughts when he asked what she liked about her classes. "I guess the only reasons why I have favorite classes this year is because they're the ones that remind me of home. Maybe next year will be better when they actually teach us things." She said it slowly, a little worried it might make her sound mean. "Honestly, I've learned more in the library than I have in class."

She glanced at Jacob. "What do you like about astronomy?"

Stars and galaxies were so nice. The fact that something existed without it being manufactured by humans was amazing. That could also be said by herbology since plants weren't man made, but he just didn't like the dirt under his nails and most plants smelled like plants. Which was obviously what plants were supposed to smell like, but he didn't like it. ''Having a favourite is normal, every human is good at something and their favourite subject is mostly the one they are good at'' Jacob paused ''hence why I like astronomy'' Jacob mumbled softly. It wasn't the true reason, but it certainly helped him picking a favourite. ''I haven't been to the library a lot, I don't like how busy it is.'' Jacob tried to get away from all human contact or conversations. He just didn't like people a lot and it always went wrong. It was weird that he and Kira could talk for a bit. ''I like the stars and what is out there, it makes me curious'' Jacob muttered.

Kira smiled as she listened to Jacob's reasoning about favorites and astronomy. His comment about the library did make her giggle. "The library is pretty busy. Have you seen those twins in our house? The creepy ones? I accidentally ran into one of them. They threatened to kill me." She teased lightly.

His next comment about liking the stars made her think. She reached for her bag, finally remembering she still had it on her. She opened it and rifled through the half dozen or so books in it. "You know, I saw this interesting looking book in the library. I picked it up after our last astronomy class." She wrapped her fingers around the thick tome and pulled it out. "Here we are." She offered it to Jacob. "It focuses on the different constellations in the heavens."

When Kira asked if he had seen the twins he thought very hard. He had seen them, but never talked to them. ''That sounds horrible'' Jacob muttered. He hadn't expect anyone in Ravenclaw running around and threatening others. ''They didn't hurt you did they?'' Not that he was going back to the twins and protect Kira. What on earth could he do, he wasn't very buff or anything. Jacob grabbed the book and looked at it. It was the same book he had glanced on when he was in the library. He didn't want to get it, since it meant spending more time in the library. He wanted to get out as soon as possible, which he did without the book. ''Thanks, It looks awesome'' Jacob smiled and looked at the book. It looked interesting and he wanted to read it. ''Thought you weren't into astronomy.'' Jacob smiled and looked at Kira.

Kira smiled at Jacob's concern. She didn't really see him jumping up to defend her honor, he was just as small as she was. Still, his concern was sweet. "Oh no, I think I insulted them, or baffled them, or something. They seemed more flustered that I didn't cower beneath their mighty wrath," she teased lightly. "My sister and I own an Inn outside of Arrowtown. I can't remember if I told you that. But it's rather popular among the muggles, and they're not always a nice bunch. I've been dealing with angry people as long as I can remember."

Kira blushed a bit, thinking she was rambling, and tucked her bangs behind her ear again. Jacob thanked her for the book, and she blushed deeper at that. He smiled at her, saying he thought she didnt like astronomy. She giggled. "It's not my favorite, but that doesn't mean I don't like it. Astronomy is interesting." Kira smiled back at him.

"Listen, I know you don't like people. I can bring you books back from the library if you want. I'm in there a lot anyway."

When Kira explained that she insulted or baffled them Jacob couldn't believe it. Kira was nice and shy, what could she do to insult the creeps. Not that Jacob wanted to pry anymore, he just didn't care about things. ''That sounds like fun'' Jacob smiled, it was always so odd when Kira talked about the Inn. You couldn't really own an Inn at fourteen, so her sister must be a lot older. Jacob hated prying so he let it slip by, if she wanted to talked about it she would have done by now.

Kira could be so confusing, but Jacob liked it. You couldn't read her as easily as others and it posed as a challenge for Jacob. ''True, astronomy is just so broad and big and we haven't even mapped it all'' Jacob couldn't ramble about things, but Astronomy came close. He could talk for hours and hours about the subject, it was amazing. When Kira said he didn't like people that much he smiled. It wasn't like he didn't like people, he just didn't like to talk to people and most students here always seemed to want to talk. He didn't want to insult Kira so he let it be. ''That would be nice, are you sure that isn't too much work?'' Jacob blushed slightly.

Kira smiled. Jacob may not talk much, but she liked listening to him when he did. He seemed a little unsure of her offer to bring him books. She giggled happily. "Of course, silly. It's not a problem at all." She nudged him a little then. "So, have you made any new friends yet? I met a really bubbly Gryffindor named Zoe and a really sweet Hufflepuff named Lauryn. There's a Slytherin girl that's in a few of our classes, and I swear I know her from somewhere."

Jacob brushed the dirt away that was currently on his pants. He didn't really know how to act around people and was just a bit socially awkward. At least he was trying stuff and he tried to made the best of it.
When Kira said that it was no problem Jacob was relieved. He could avoid the library this way, which made it a lot better. And he would talk to Kira more, which was secretly a plus too. Kira didn't seem to want to run away screaming after two seconds which was a relieve in itself. ''Those sound really cool, I think Lauryn delivered me a candy cane'' Jacob muttered, he was sure that it was her. Jacob hadn't met that many people, nor had he made many friends. ''I met another Jacob in Gryffindor and Sam in Slytherin and there is also another French girl in Gryffindor, but I forgot her name'' Jacob had to think really hard about the list. He wasn't that great with names and he could only remember that it sounded French and it started with an A. Which was nothing to go on.

Kira smiled at Jacob and nudged him gently. "See? You're doing good. You're one person ahead of me." She turned her eyes back to the lake. "It's really pretty out here. What's it like where you live?" She asked conversationally. She wanted to know more about this quiet boy who reminded her of herself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back