Letters

Harriet Turner

Wand
Black Walnut/ Maple Wand 12 3/4" Essence of Silver Thistle
Harri jumped up the last few steps of the owlery. She hadn't seen her dad or her uncle in the summer and she missed them so much. It was weird last year she would have missed her mum the most but now she just wished she could see her dad. She had already written the letter to her uncle but read over it quickly.
JAMES!
Gosh I've missed you so much this holidays! It's weird I haven't seen you in soo long and I'm used to seeing you everyday!
Well how was your summer? How are you?
Hope everythings going okay with you and Mandy! How is she? I haven't seen her in ages!
Love Harri
She smiled as she read over it, Mandy was James' girlfriend and her and Harri got on really well, she missed her alot! She hadn't seen her in almost a year. Then Harri setteled on the cold top step and began writing to her dad.
Dad,
How've you been? I have missed you sooo much this holidays! Seriously, more then I imagined!
I had a fantastic summer. California is amazing! We have to go there one day you'll love it! Its so hot and lovely! I had a fantastic time!
So I want to know all about your holiday!
Hows mum?
Love you loads Harri.x

Harri attached the letters to two owls and sent them off, just then Jaspar hoped up the steps "What are you doing here?" she said bending down and picking up the ginger kitten who was know purring loudly.

James was in the kitchen making a cup of tea for Mandy when he saw an owl approaching, he opened the window and watched as the owl landed neatly on the kitchen cabinet. He recognised the writing immedietly and unnattached the letter and sat down on a chair. He carefully opened it and read it smiling,
Harri,
I've missed you too! I know, I mean theres no-one here to annoy me anymore! My summer was fantastic! How was California?And how did you friends do in their competitions? I hope you like your birthday present!
Actually I have some good news about Mandy, Shes pregnant! I'm going to be a dad! Gosh can you believe that? Your going to have a cousin!
All my love James.

James smiled hoping Harri would be pleased with this news, he fed the owl and gave it some water before sending it back on its long journey, he finished making the tea and took it in to Mandy settling on the sofa next to her, a large grin on his face as he thought about being a dad.

Harri jumped up as soon as the owl arrived, she had been sitting there reading for a few hours as she new it would take the owl quite sometime to get there and back.
She unnattached the letter wondering whether it would be from her dad or James. She ripped open the letter and her whole face lit up as she read over the letter, she squeled excitedly before grabbing her quill and scrawling a reply
Oh. My. Gosh! James!
CONGRATULATIONS! Thats fantastic news! I can't believe it! Wow.wow.wow! I'm soo excited! Im going to be a cousin! Wow! Im going to be the best cousing ever!
And you! Your going to be the best dad in the world!
Tell Mandy I'm sooo happy for you both!
Love to you Mandy and my baby cousing! Harri

Harri quickly attached the letter to the leg of an owl excitedly thinking the letter from her dad should arrive any minute.

Sam was sitting, anxiously at home, he had alot to tell Harri but he wasn't sure the best way in which to tell her, or even if he was going to tell her. His past was dark and murky and he wasn't sure whether he could simply spring it on his only daughter. She was still so young and he was finally feeling like they were getting on well, he just couldn't risk that. He was still debating with himself when he saw an owl that was clearly flying straight towards the house, he opened the window wondering who it could be from. He gently opened it and began to read. A smiled spread across his face as he realised it was from Harri. He read through it a few times the picked up a pen and began to write.
Dear Harri,
It's lovely to hear from you! I've missed you loads too! It's been strange, the house being so empty! Bruce missed you so much as well! He's being good though, hes no trouble at all! California sounds great! I've always wanted to go and I guess I'll have more time now! I quit my job! I just realised how important you are to me and not seeing you has made it clear how stupid I was! I missed half your childhood for that stupid job and it wasn't worth it! I've got another job in an office which I love! It's fantastic and I have so much more free time!
I also have some much more serious news for you. I hope you don't take it too hard, its been coming for a long time now. Your mum and I. Well your mum and I have split up. It simply wasn't working out, I hope you understand, we did our best to work things out but it just didn't work out, I'm sorry. You've had so much to deal with lately and I feel terrible for having to give you something else. But don't worry, it's for the best. Theres no hard feelings between us and its better this way.
I'm sorry Harri, I really am. Please don't hate me I couldn't bare that.
Please write back as soon as you can.
Love you soo much
Dad x

Sam sighed and sent the letter off, he was worried about how Harri would take this news and hoped she wouldn't go off the rails like she had done with the news of Emma.

Harri jumped up as she saw an owl flying towards her, she knew it had to be from her dad as her uncle wouldn't be able to reply so quickly. She was so excited she didn't even wait to sit down , Jaspar judged her and so she bent down and picked him up. He stared at her as if he could tell the future...as if he knew the news the letter held. Her eyes darted across the page. She read over and over it. It held so much. A million question filled her head. Her knees gave way and she banged hardly into the cold hard steps, she wasn't bothered about her or the pain in her legs at the moment, she made sure Jaspar was okay and then a tear fell from her face. Why was she crying? She was being silly and over emotional. She didn't even know her parents were having problems. She stopped the tears, after all she was a second year, she was meant to be mature. Her face was still grave and all she wanted was for someone to come and find her, she wanted. No she needed someone, but she knew it was unlikely anyone would come.
She wrote a letter to her dad
Dad,
I guess its good you get more free time. About you and mum. Why didn't you tell me there were problems? Of course I'm worrying how could I not? But I've grown up alot this past year. I can deal with it. But who am I going to llive with? Whos going to have me? Who wants me?

She didn't even sign her name. These thoughts were jsut entering her head. Who wanted her? And who did she want? She was so confused. Tears spilled out of her eyes and she hugged her cat tightly and left the owlery as fast as she could not wanting to recieve another letter.

Sam anxiously awaited the reply from his daughter as he spotted a familiar owl he jumped up tapping his foot impatiently. He read it and fell back into a chair, he knew he should have told her in person. He slowly picked up his pen and began to answer the difficult questions she had posed.
Harri,
how could I tell you? I couldn't burden you with that. Please don't worry, there really is nothing to worrry about. We are still talking and everything it was just easy this way. It might be hard for you to understand, of course it will you've never had a relationship.
This is the hard part, of course your going to be at school most of the time so you can stay half your holidays with me and the other half with your mum. Or however you want to. It really is your choice and we will stand by you whatever you choose.
All my love dad.

He sighed as he signed off. He knew she probably wouldn't get the letter untill the morning it was getting late now. He trailed upstairs and fell into a deep uneasy sleep.

It was early the next morning when Harri awoke to find a letter by her bedside table. She knew it was from her dad as she recognised the writing but thinking it probably wasn't the best place to read it she pulled on some baggy jeans and a sweatshirt and walked slowly up to the owlery. She read the letter and began to reply, it was difficult what she was about to write but it had to be done.
Dad,
This letter has a lot to tell you. It's stuff you never knew and I didn't really want to tell you by letter but it has to be done, afterall we can't keep lying to eachother can we? It's not helping anyone and I hate feeling this down but I can't help it.
About relationships. Actually I do know what its like, I actually have a boyfriend called Kevin. He's great and so don't go lecturing me, okay?
Second about living arangments.
None of your plans are going to work. I can't live out of a suitcase, I hope you understand. It's too much for me, I know this sounds selfish but I can't do it. I can't have no where to call home.

Tear drops littered the page and a bit of the ink smudged. She hoped her dad didn't think she was being harsh she just needed to tell him how she felt.
My friend Caysi has kindly offered to let me live with her and her sister for a while. I will be living in Scotland for the holidays untill I can get myhead sorted. Of course I will visit you I need to talk to but I will be living in Scotland untill further notice. Please don't tell me not too becuase I have to. I'm so screwed up at the moment dad I couldn't be happy at home.
I hope you know I lvoe you so much. More then you can imagine.
All my love Harri

Tears skidded down the parchment as she attatched the letter to an owl. She sat down and cried before feeling calm enough to go down and do her lessons.

Sam woke from a troubled sleep and went downstairs to make himself some coffee. He would have to be at work in a few hours but he was hoping to get a reply from Harri. Sure enough as he finished his breakfast he saw an owl approching he hurried to read the letter and he fell into his chair in shock. His face fell as he saw the tear drops that had caused the ink to smudge and the guiltyness began eating away at him inside. His face dropped further as he read on. How could he have caused his little girl so much pain? He tried to calm himself down without sucess and began to write
Harri,
Its erm, well nice to hear about you and Kevin maybe you can bring him home one time.
But Harriet Turner you are not going to live with your friend! How could you even suggest such a thing! I know it's hard on you but you aren't doing that and thats final. Don't even try to argue with me young lady! I understand this is hard on you. It's hard on all of us please don't make it harder.
All my love
Sam xx
He sent the letter off speedily.

Sam tried to stand up but he found his legs were failing him, had he made it so bad that his own daughter didn't want to live with him. He rubbed his face wondering what on earth he was going to do. Before defetedly going upstairs to shower and dress for work.

Harri had completely forgotten about the letter to her dad untill another arrived. She read it and sighed, she knew he would be like that, but she owed him a reply, even if it wasn't want he wanted to hear.
Dad,
Please don't make this hard. I AM moving in with Caysi. Sorry, I will come and see you, maybe we could meet in brightstone?
Love Harri

It was short and too the point, exactly what she wanted to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back