Letters home

Harriet Turner

Wand
Black Walnut/ Maple Wand 12 3/4" Essence of Silver Thistle
It was a cold winters day outside, and Harri decided it was a better idea to stay inside today. She loved winter, especially snow but today it was grey sky and looked like it was going to rain, not really her idea of perfect weather. She hadn't made a trip to the owlery in quite a while and she fancied doing a bit of jogging. So she jogged up the steps, when she reached the top she was glad to see she wasn't too out of breath and her breathing returned to normal very quickly.
The owlery looked suprisingly clean today and so she took full advantages and sat on the steps just outside her quill in hand, she was ready to write but at the same time she didn't know what to write. She stared at the page for a long moment before putting it away and deciding to write later.

Harri sat still for a little while thinking about her family, when she saw an owl coming towards her, she looked around her to see if it was going somewhere else but it was definatly coming for her. It stopped when it was close enough and stuck its foot out, "Thanks," she said untieing it, she dipped in her bag and pulled out an owl treat giving it to the bird which then flew off content. She turned the letter over in her hands, she knew the writing on it. She knew it well, but she hadn't seen it in a while. It was her mum's writing. She took a deep breath, her heart rate had increased dramatically in the lalst few seconds, and opened it. Her hands were shaky as she unfolded the letter and began to read...
Harri darling!
Sorry I haven't written in so long! A lots happened, and I've been travelling. Your dad's been hassling me constantly since hte divorce came through, telling me to write. But you don't mind do you?
I mean I've had a great time I've been to Spain, Australia,America! Just everywhere. And thats where I met Austin, in America, he's lovely! I mean your going to love him! He's just fantastic, we've bought a house over in California and I know your going to love living with us! The house is amazing!
Anyway write back soon, though try and do it quite late, I don't know what the neighbours will think seeing owls!
Love mum x

Harri had to read through the letter a few times, each time she grew angrier and angrier. How could her mum have moved on so quick? The divorce had only come through a few months ago. This was so trypically her mum, she was a posh snob and in this letter she sounded unbelievably selfish! And what on earth did she mean about owls? There was practically steam coming out of her ears. This wasn't what she wanted to hear just before the holidays, "ARGGH!" she cried in fustration, before her dad popped into her head. She had to write to him. Right now. She delved into her bag and pulled out her parchment and quill and began scribbling messily across it.
Dear dad,
I have just got a letter from her. Meaning mum! What is with her? Did you know that she has moved in with some American man called Austin and that she expects me to go and live with her in California?
Love Harri
She finished it off writing 'dad' messily on the front before tieing it to an owl "Go as quick as you can!" she whispered to it then sent it off.

Sam had been sitting in a cafe in New Zealand when he saw an owl approaching, he slipped outside discretely and got the letter, slipping the owl a treat before going back to the cafe. He sat down recognising the writing, which was usually much neater, as his daughters.
His eyes scanned over the words as she looked down, he shook his head gravely and pulled out a muggle pen and paper,
Dear Harri,
I know she seems to have moved on a bit quickly, and yes I have heard of this Austin only because you grandma told me. She doesn't approve. And she told me you wanted to live with her! And if you do thats fine, really.
Love dad

He sent it off hoping for a fast reply

Harri was slightly suprised as she saw an owl approaching her with a letter, usually sending and recieving a letter from her dad would take a few days, she scanned through the letter, making her respose a completly natural one,
DAD! Don't be silly, I do not want to live with Brooke, I couldn't think of anything worse to be honest!
And how comes I got such a quick replie, are you in New Zealand or something?!?
Love Harri
She thought it was best to give this owl a rest so she found another one, "Give this to Sam Turner," she whispered to it and sent it off.

Harri had been sitting, restlessly in the common room that evening. After the letter that day she had been very distant and not very talkative and thought it was best for everyones sake if she just spent some time alone. She climbed the long winding stairs to to owlery. Her eyes glazed over deep in thought. She simply couldn't understand how Brooke had moved on so quickly? She couldn't even bear to call her 'mum' anymore. They had never been close but now, the distance was further. Her mothers selfishness was finally becoming apparent, and though she knew her dad was better off without Brooke she couldn't help but wish that her life could possibly be a bit more normal. As she reached the top step she had the letter all planned out in her head, luckily she had stowed away a quill and parchment and now she sat on the outside step, the only clean one avaliable, and began to write.
Dear Brooke,
Nice to see you remembered you had a daughter...at last.
OKay here it goes. I never ever want to meet this Austin man. EVER. AND I certainly do not want to come and live with you in America! I love it with Dad, and I'm staying with him, where ever he is I am. I want to be close to him and James and Tommy. Especially now that my lifes just returning to normal. I love the way things are now, and I don't want it to change.
Harri

Her plan had gone out the window as she wrote, her emotions overcame her, and as she wrote the words she was supriised at home much she really meant them. It was true she wouldn't go and live somewhere where her dad wasn't Her and Sam had become so close recently, though they had never been before now she realised how similar they were. Now he had sometime to spend with her, she regretted so much not spending more time with him before. And James. What could she say about James, he had been there for her since she was tiny, as had Tommy. And those three people were the ones she needed in her life. She was certain of this, because somewhere inside she knew that they needed her too. She sent the letter off, finally after being restless all day, feeling absoloutley shattered and heading off to her dorm to her nice warm bed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back