Letter to Lauren.

Hollie Ridley

Wand
'Holly Wand 11" Essence of Phoenix Feather'
Hollie ran into the owlery, out of breath, clutching a screwed up letter in one hand. She stuffed it in an envelope and rested on one of the ledges to scrawl a name on the front.
Lauren.

Then, with enormous effort, she searched the many owls for her white one.
"Snowie?" she called, waiting for her owl to come down.
Eventually he did.
"Here's a letter for you to deliver. To Lauren." She panted, tying it to his foot. "Make sure she sends back a reply. Be safe!"
And then she watched as her owl took off into the sky, and flew far away until only a white speck could be seen against the deep blue sky.

Lauren was sat in her bedroom reading her brand new copy of 'The Luxe', her all-time favourite novel. She was just about to read the part where Schoonmaker announces his son's engagement to Elizabeth when her mother called from downstairs.
"Lauren, you have a visitor!"
Lauren rolled her eyes, angrily. Her mother just didn't seem to realise that there was no point any more - since Hollie had gone off to that HNZ, there was no fun in life. Lauren didn't want another companion - nobody could replace Hollie. She couldn't wait 'till the holidays when her best friend would spend a total of 3 weeks with them. She was counting down the days!
However, she obediently put her book down and made her way down the stairs, where she appeared in the kitchen.
"Who?" she demanded, rather rudely, and then she caught sight of the beautiful owl perched on the window sill. Her mouth formed the perfect 'O' as realisation hit her.
"Snowie!" she cried, rushing over and fumbling around as she tried to detach the crumpled envelope from the owl's foot. "Mum, this is Hollie's owl! She must have sent me a letter!"
Eventually, Lauren succeeded in detaching the letter, and ran back upstairs, ready to read it.

The letter was rather long. Lauren read it eagerly.
Letter to Lauren. said:
Dear Loz,

I hope you're ok. It seems like AGES since we last spoke - I can't wait until the holidays. I so wish you were with me - that girl Laura I told you about has left the school, and I'm feeling kind of lonely.
Anyway, let's get a few things off my chest. I've been meaning to write for a while, but exams are coming up and revision has taken over. In fact, according to my revision table I've made, I should be going through my transfiguration notes at this present moment. But screw that, you're more important.

Ok, so our headmistress, Professor Barker, has disappeared. And guess how? She was kidnapped. Odd irony there, isn't it? Yeah, she was kidnapped by a couple of Death Eaters - what a gruesome gang name! - and hasn't been seen since. That was a while ago, but it has emotionally drained me. I am so confused inside my poxy little head. Only you can truly understand that. It brings everything that happened to me - and more importantly, to you and your family - rushing back, and I can't handle it any more. Being here is a living nightmare. I need to see you soon!

Secondly, my parents are getting a divorce. You may or may not know this, but what you can be certain of is that I'm ecstatic. Doesn't happen much, does it? Parents split up and kid is thrilled. You can see the irony in the situation.
But I am worried - for Madi, Karl, Lucy, and Sam. And most importantly, Dad. I know he'd appreciate some male company, so I was thinking that perhaps you could persuade your dad to go round and visit? That would be awesome, I'd appreciate it so much.

So that's kind of what I wanted to say. Oh, and did I mention, I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU!!!!!!!!

Love you lots,
hope you're well,
God bless,
a trillion hugs and kisses,

You're fav pal,
Hollie xxxxxxxx

PS, I love you.

PPS Omgosh, that book is amazing :p

Lauren read the letter through once, then twice, and then a third time. She couldn't describe how amazing it was to hear from Hollie - she felt like her friend was sat next to her! She was sooooo excited, despite the bad news.
However, after a while the truth began to sink in. Tears sprang to Lauren's eyes as she remembered the suffering her family had endured - the bad press, the nasty comments, the rejection from society, and the constant ache of a missing loved one. It was still there, and would never go.
And then for the divorce... well, that was tragic in it's own right, though Lauren was as thrilled as Hollie was. Richard Ridley deserved so much more than Diana could have ever given him - she was an unfaithful woman who deserved no future with any man half as decent as Hollie's dad. Yes, Lauren was thrilled, but she was also unhappy for the Ridley children, including Hollie. She noticed that her friend hadn't mentioned the other two sisters, Nikki and Shelby, and vaguely wondered if perhaps they had gone to live with their mother. Then she decided that she didn't care.

After a while, Lauren thought about writing back. Yes, she should really, but right then and there she couldn't be fagged. So she placed the letter on her desk, smiled, and picked up her book again, ready to read about Penelope's rage at her friend's betrayal in marrying Henry.

Lauren finally decided to write back to Hollie. After all, Hollie would want to know how Snowie was, and Snowie couldn't return without a letter; that would look awful. So she set about writing one.
Letter to Hollie. said:
Dear Hollie,

It's soooo nice to hear from you again; i practically hit the roof with glee when your letter arrived. And by the way, your owl is beautiful.
Transfiguration notes?? Speak english, purlease! :p
Your headmistress has been kidnapped? Blimey, and she calls herself a teacher! And yeah, I can understand that. Reading your letter made me cry - now that is what you call emotional. I can't hear the word without getting all tearful. Oh my gosh, yeah, it must bring back everything that happened to you as well! Ouch! I was too busy thinking of Lillie...
Ok, let's finish that one. I can't handle it.

Right, as for your parents, woah. Your dad mentioned it to my dad at Church, I think, because when I told m + d they didn't seem too surprised. In fact, they just... nodded sadly. And yeah, my dad's went around this afternoon. He says your dad is coping extremely well, and your siblings all seem rather pleased with the absense of Nikki and Shelby. Can't say I blame them, myself.

CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU EITHER!
loadsa love and God bless,
zillions of x's and o's,

Lozzie....

PS... i love you to.

PPS... i know. i watched it yesterday. made me cry. i should really stop watching stuff that makes me cry. lol.

PPPS... have you read the luxe? if not, let me know and i'll send you a copy, if snowie can manage it. best book ever. :p

Lauren finished writing her letter and smiling, tied it to the beautiful owl's leg.
"Keep safe," she whispered, "And let Hollie know I miss her. If you can." She giggled at the thought of owl communication and then watched as both owl and letter disappeared into the sky.

Hollie ran into the owlery to see whether her owl had yet returned. To her relief, and disbelief at the same time, she saw Snowie perched on one of the many ledges, looking as healthy as ever. What was more, he also carried a chunky letter that she could only suppose was from Lauren.

She ran and read it eagerly, laughing at certain phrases. Oh, it was so good to her from Lauren again, and only a few days until they could finally see each other! Her smile widened at the thought.

She carried the letter back downstairs deep in thought. Should she write back? Her instinct said no, leave it, she would see Lauren very soon any way!
Eventually she decided to write a letter but not send it, then she could give it to Lauren when she finally saw each other again. She would draft it in her dormitory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back