Just Keeping Up

Malachy Scythe

Wand
Ivy Wand with Essence of Gargoyle Tooth
Malachy sat down at a table in Rose&Meyer's Cafè. He had just finished a seven hour shift. It was a few minutes until two, and he still wasn't tired yet. Instead of leaving he just decided to stay and hang around for away. He could go bother Luvesha in the kitchen, but he decided against it. His close friend had been feeling stressed lately. Malachy did not mind working a Muggle job. He enjoyed it a lot actually. He had been thinking about becoming an auror lately though. He knew it wasn't an easy job, and he also knew that at times it could be life threatening. He was willing to take that risk though. He had been seeing many deaths of Muggles in the Prophet due to practitioners of the Dark Arts. Malachy had the privilege of going to Beauxbatons to learn magic, and all he was doing was serving coffee. It frustrated him that he wasn't doing anything to make both of his worlds a better place. He walked up to the display case of different pastries at the register. He pondered on which to choose from. He had tried all of the various pastries before, but knowing Luvesha she could have changed an ingredient to anyone of them.

Elodie wandered the streets, hands shoved deep her jacket pocket. She had gone out shopping but so far hadn't spotted a thing she wanted to buy. Eyes scanning the store fronts she sighed, she wasn't in the mood for anymore clothes, she had more than enough already. Glancing to her left a cafe caught her eye. Her stomach growling she realised she had missed lunch. Inwardly cursing herself for skipping lunch she quickly crossed the road to the Rose&Meyer's Cafè Stepping over the threshold Elodie smiled, it looked like a friendly place and the smell of pastries made her mouth water. Walking over to the display case she glanced sideways at the other pastry admirer, from the look of his clothing she guessed he worked there, "Hi." she said smiling warmly, "What would you recommend?" she asked indicating to the delicious looking pastries.

Malalchy looked next to him and saw a girl. He pointed to a Danish filled with a strawberry puree. "Delicious." he them pointed to a chocolate layered cake. "Delicious." he looked around for a minute, and he then pointed to a red velvet cake and a fruit tart doused in Luvesha's bittersweet sauce. Delicious and delicious." His Irish accent clearly showed in his one word sentences. He looked at the girl with an apologetic smile. "Sorry. I'm not very good at recommending our pastry chef's goods. There just so good, you know? The first one I ever tried though was her red velvet cake." he said finally recommending the red velvet cake in the end. His stomach yearned for a Danish. They were her best pastry, but they were good, and good when talking about Luvesha's pastries meant superbly awesome. He held a hand out to the girl. "I am Malachy." he introduced himself.

Elodie laughed quietly at Malalchy's description of the food, “It’s all good then.” Looking carefully at the red velvet cake she examined it before nodding, “I think I’ll have the red velvet cake then.” She said giving him a sidelong smile. Mind made up she turned to face the guy and took his proffered hand and shook, “Hi, I’m Elodie.” She said with a warm smile. Since moving to New Zealand she had noticed that just about everyone she had met had been very nice to her, something that she hadn't experienced in Coventry. People will all to busy and harried in England hardly anyone actually stopped to talk to anyone, let alone talk nicely. "So do you work here?" she asked, riffling in her pocket for the money to pay for the cake.

Malachy shook hands with Elodie. "It is great to meet you Elodie." he then walked behind the counter to the register. He shrugged. "I just got off, but I can still ring you up. Would you like to add a drink?" he asked politely. Several of his coworkers, who were currently working, rolled their eyes at him. "My favorite is the mocha with cinnamon." Malachy looked at the girl again. She looked very familiar. Her hair and her face were stuck in the back of his head. He just couldn't put his finger on where. "Have we met before? You look familiar." he asked leaning on the counter closer to Elodie. He want to say he saw her at Beauxbatons.

Elodie nodded, "It's nice to meet you too." she agreed taking her hand back. Elodie grinned, "Thanks, oh that sounds lovely but no thanks." she said politely, passing on the drink. The dark haired only had a limited amount of muggle cash on her. "How much is that?" she asked indicating to the delicious looking cake, rummaging in her purse as she did so. Elodie cocked her head thinking hard, Malachy also looked familiar, not familiar enough for her to remember where he knew him from though. "Um, maybe...?" she said, it was one of two places that it could be, Beauxbatons or teachers college in Coventry. She instantly crossed Coventry off her list, she had avoided most people while living there, "Did you go to Beauxbatons?" she asked cautiously aware of the muggles in the area.

Malachy shrugged. "No worries, it's on me anyways." he smiled at Elodie. He rang the mocha and the red velvet cake up. He took out his wallet out, and he put six dollars in the register. When the receipt printed out Malachy took it and shoved it in his pocket. He pulled some gloves out from the glove box next to the register. "I graduated from there two years ago. What about you?" he asked and took a piece of red velvet cake from the display, and he set it on a plate. "Here is your cake. Your mocha is coming right up." he said and handed the plate to Elodie. Malachy then disappeared behind the counter to make the mocha. Soon he was back with a steaming hot cup of mocha sprinkled with cinnamon. He slowly walked from behind the counter back to their previous table. He was trying very hard not to let a single drop of it spill. He set the cup down on the table, and he sat down. He gestured for Elodie to sit across from him. "Coffee is served." he smiled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back