It's Always the Quiet Ones

Jean Snow

Wand
Straight 14 Inch Sturdy Elm Wand with Demiguise Hair Core
Jean was determined to get off to a good start this year. He’d spent much of his vacation doing what he usually did, slacking off and being with his siblings. It was easy to do when you had as many siblings as he did. Jean didn’t have to try too hard. He just had to make sure that one of his other siblings distracted his mother, and many of them were eager to get her attention. He was too, but he also enjoyed avoiding her attention when he didn’t want it. And, he had grown good at it. Still, Jean knew that he better get himself together. Eventually, she would catch on to his grades and yell at him or worse…force him off of the quidditch team.

That was why Jean was in the library with his textbooks. Gryffindor House was way too distracting. The library was a much better place to study. Eventually though, Jean grew bored and he abandoned his bag and books at the table to go search for another book that he needed.

Charmaine wanted to make a good impression this year, since she didn't want to fail Professor Kingston for choosing her to be a prefect. So, to study Raine headed for the library and it was not that full as usual. She sat on a desk where a boy sits and reads a book. "Mind if I sit here?" she said to the boy that looks like a Gryffindor and very serious about reading his book.

Jean had just taken a step away when a girl asked him if she could sit. The Gryffindor looked at the table and shrugged. It wasn't like there wasn't plenty of room. "Sure. Why not?" Abandoning his plan to search for another book, Jean took his seat again. He looked at the girl again, this time noticing the prefect badge on her robes. Leaning forward, Jean kept his voice low. "So...is the prefect lounge as cool as they say?"

Charmaine took a seat as soon as the boy said yes, she then grabbed her book in her bag and started reading it. She was very eager to finish the book, but the boy started talking when he noticed her prefect badge. "Yeah, its pretty cool and very comfy. Why did you ask?" she said. As she was waiting for his reply, she continued reading the book, until she forgot that she never introduced herself. "Ohh, I'm Charmaine, you can call me Raine if you want to. How about you, what's your name." she said and waited for his reply.

Jean listened to her answer. She hadn't given him much information, which was to be expected. It was supposed to be some big ol' secret. With a shrug, Jean glanced up from his book again, his blue eyes looking at the blonde. "No reason really, Raine. Just wondering if it lives up to the hype of it." The boy looked down at his book and then back up, realizing that he should probably introduce himself. "I'm Jean" he stated, his French accent especially strong when he said his name. "Snow" he added, telling her his surname.

Charmaine was surprised that their conversation didn't go so awkward as they speak, and she was more surprised when the boy introduced himself. "It was nice to meet you Jean." she said and wondering about his nationality. "One question, from which country are you from?" she asked waiting for Jean's reply to her question. SHe continued reading her book as she listened to the answer of the fourth year. As Charmaine continued asking questions, and answering questions, she considered the boy as her friend already, it was very unlikely of her. She was not good at making friends, or as she thought. If ever she ever talked to someone, it would turn into a disaster, and she being socially awkward is a part of it.

Jean glanced down at his book again, but he didn't get very far as Charmaine spoke to him once more. This time she was asking him where he was from. Jean shifted in his seat before replying. The Gryffindor felt like he had a very heavy accent that made it difficult for people to understand him when he spoke English. That she had brought it up made him slightly uncomfortable. "France" he replied.

"What about you?" he asked, figuring that it was only fair for her to answer the question as well. One thing he had learned about this school was that there was just as many foreign students like him as there were native New Zealand residents. Many people in his family attended because they had family within the school, guaranteeing their safety within the school.

When Jean answered that he was from France, Charmaine didn't bother to hide her expression. "Wow, France, I love that place, even though I haven't been there. But, I like Paris, Its the City of Love right? And that's where the Eiffel Tower is placed. I wish I could go there someday." she said. "With my boyfriend." she said to herself. When the bot asked her where she was from she immediately answered. "I'm from Germany. Not a beautiful place right?" she said. As they continued talking a question formed in her mind and asked it to the boy. "Am I awkward?" she said "I mean, are you feeling uncomfortable when you are talking to me? Like you know, my questions and all." she said and waiting for his answer.

Jean smiled. "You should" he replied simply. The Gryffindor found his home beautiful, more beautiful than the school at any rate. As Charmaine continued and explained that she was from Germany, Jean shrugged. "I've never been" he responded. He couldn't judge somewhere he'd never seen.

It wasn't until Charmaine spoke again that Jean finally smiled. A chuckle burst from his lips as he shook his head. "Asking someone if something is awkward is pretty awkward, but you aren't making me uncomfortable." Jean was rather amused by Charmaine. At least she wasn't boring.

Charmaine sighed at Jean's answer to her awkward question. "Phew, thank god. Are you sure, I'm not boring?" she said kind of worried about the answer. "Never mind. Anyways, what are you reading?" she asked the boy and described her book first. "I'm reading this book, its about muggles. How about you what's that about." she asked continuing reading while waiting for his answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back