Introduction
<FONT font="Georgia">Characters: Gregory Yearling
Gregory Yearling, Sr.
Keevan White
Regius Kendall-White
Lucan White
Simon Blackmoore
Permissions: Contact Claire

"I've a job for you to do, Junior," said Gregory Sr, his face bobbing away in the crackling fireplace of Audel Snow's household. Gregory Jr. was sprawled out onto his stomach with his head propped onto his hands, listening with interest to Wizarding England's latest news. It had taken his father a while to get to the point, for there was a lot of catch up on, but there was a crease on his father's brow that hadn't been there last Fall, and that made five creases, now.

"You don't need me in Yorkshire, Father?" Greg Jr. responded with concern, but the phantasmic head shook itself.

"Not this time. If anything, I'll still be in Australia for that conference."

"I thought you said you'd be finished by tomorrow evening?"

"A pertinent observation which leads me to this job I'm asking of you," Senior told him. Gregory's dubious look made his father scowl. "I'd had enough trouble with you, trying to find you work. The least you could do is this one for me."

"That's not fair," Gregory responded immediately. "What kind of experience could I have possibly gotten in mountain regions of the North Island as a lion?"

"Some damned common sense!" his father barked, which made him jump. A fiery hand pushed back what little hair was left on Gregory Sr.'s head. "I'm sorry. This issue has been ... upsetting me, recently."

"I can see that," Greg murmured softly. This was not at all like the usually mild-mannered, very English father.

Gregory Sr. took a breath and began again. "Junior, this job is not entirely above board, per say. Now, don't get upset!" he said shortly when Greg spluttered. "I'd never get you into anything illegal. At least, not on purpose." Senior's frown was becoming more pronounced.

"Recently, I've been having the most awful trouble trying to source potions and powders in St. Mungo's stockroom, and I'm not the only one who's been dealing with the same problem. All the nurses and Healers say the same thing: we don't get enough of what we need, and what we do get is substandard and not at all up to scratch. It's not our suppliers," his father explained, biting his left thumbnail in a familiar habit. "It's got something to do with their competition. There's been talk of deals going down under-the-counter, and Keevan White." he said darkly.

"White," repeated Gregory blankly.

"Yes." said the Senior. "He deals with pharmaceuticals, and as far as we know he's a decent benefactor to St. Mungo's. He doesn't supply us directly, but supplies our suppliers. Ah, it's all very complicated, but the important thing is that I met with his Distribution Manager during the second conference session." Gregory stared blankly at his father. "Oh, how do I explain this? I got nothing but deflections and weasel-words, but I did find out that their manor house in New Zealand has nearly been completed, and they're looking for staff." His father's plan was starting to piece itself together in his head, finally.

"Father, no-"

"No, you see, it must be you because you're the oldest and you can take care of yourself!"

"Are you trying to tell me that you don't have any other adult children, Father?" Gregory cut in angrily, and his father looked cowed. "Your youngest is twenty-six! Anyway, that's not at all the point. What exactly are you asking of me?" Senior let go of his thumbnail and stared at his son very seriously.

"I am asking you to seek out Keevan White's new residence, attempt to procure a job there, and try to find out something about his dealings so that we can know for sure who the culprit is!" Gregory opened his mouth and his father cut him off. "Under no circumstances are you to endanger yourself, or try to use any information against him. The Whites are wealthy, and they might be able to make life very hard for us, or worse, if you discover something illicit. Use your mother's name," Senior told him.

"You seem to be under the impression that I've agreed to any of this!" said Gregory loudly. There were some thumps and a cough from the other room, and both father and son quieted down.

"Look," said Gregory Sr. "I am asking you because I trust you. I trust your sense of self-preservation, and your harmlessness. Whatever you did, you would do a good job and likely not upset anyone. This isn't a matter of life or death, so there's no use getting the Aurors in on it," he said. Unfortunately, Greg was starting to see the sense in his plan. The hospital's supplies were a serious matter, but with no one to directly point a finger at, the Ministry's hands were tied. "I can help provide you with a resume and references," The Healer continued. "I've heard the grounds are extensive, there's sure to be a place for your strength."

The son stared at his father for a long moment before closing his eyes and sighing. "So long as Audel and Demeter don't get involved." he told his father, who immediately said "Of course not!".

"It's going to be weird enough as it is, telling them that I'm going for a job. I've been a professional lion for the past seven years, for Merlin's sake."

His father sighed his own relief. "Thank you, Gregory. I wish you all the best. Owl me what you have, and I'll return it with references and anything else you need. Oh, and-" Senior cut himself off with a sharp look to his son. "Whatever you do, don't go shifting into your animagus form! The last thing we need is for Keevan White to have any leverage over you. If he even thinks you might be the white lion traipsing around his grounds, you can forget everything you might have learned from them."

"What am I, a fool?" said Greg indignantly. "Look, don't worry. I'll probably end up doing some gardening, or something, no more. I might not even be able to score a job, there."

Part I
As it turned out, gardening was about the only job in the sizable list of employees that the Whites required that Gregory was able to do. He'd done up Adrianna's garden all those years ago, and Audel's herbs would have been dead a long time ago if not for him, so a bit of heavy lifting and hedge-trimming was nothing.

Gregory received his father's half-fabricated resume quite promptly, and he soon set about researching the Whites as best he could. New Zealand wasn't much of an information mine about them, yet, but he found the employment advertisements soon enough, and noted that they wanted someone who worked with both their hands and magic. Perfect.

Regius White was the first of the family that Gregory encountered, and he found him to be a fair and welcoming interviewer. Greg decided long before he'd begun his attempts at infiltration to just be himself and say very little. He was courteous and reassuring, and found himself employed for the first time in years with a lot less effort than he'd expected. This surprised him, as his father had implied that there was great wealth to the Whites, which had Greg assuming that they'd have high security, but it seemed that Regius was not overly concerned with who their gardener ought to be, which suited Greg just fine.

Two months passed very quickly in the White's employ. Gregory flooed early every morning to the sprawling manor house and tended the grounds with care, all the while keeping an eye out for suspicious activities. Many workmen came and went, and various businessmen would call during 'office' hours, but it took him almost till the end of the second month to realise that the most important happenings were occurring at night.

This gave Gregory the idea to offer his services in the manor itself, and so he was brought in two days week to refresh some flower arrangements and water houseplants. It was a good job, despite his expectations, and Gregory found himself enjoying the activities of the household while quietly taking part in its running. He glimpsed Keevan White only twice, as the man did not spend a lot of time dawdling in the hedgerows, but he'd made eye contact the second time as he was wiping sweat from his brow.

Gregory was squinting into the glare of a second story window when he realised he'd been staring into eyes. Startled, he'd dropped the bag of lawn trimmings he'd been carrying and blinked into the piercing sapphire blues that watched. They were gone as soon as he figured out whom he was staring at, but Greg had felt a thrill of fear and also interest.

On the twenty-third of November, at seven thirty on a warm Spring evening, Gregory found his chance.

<COLOR color="#650335">Fool of a Yearling!

</FONT>
Part II
<FONT font="Georgia">One month without contact with his loved ones turned a barely tolerable situation into a downright desperate one, for Gregory. It began fairly tamely. He was given a room, which was as empty as a hotel's and had a lovely view of the garden he was to maintain while he was here. If he didn't love being in the manor's grounds so much, he would have protested at being required to continue working; a contract was a contract, though, however much both parties had lied about the details contained within. Gregory tended the gardens with care, was permitted to read from the new and untouched library, and occasionally spoke with Keevan White's brothers with whom he spoke casually. He didn't know how much of the circumstances they were aware of, but they didn't appear to be surprised at his sudden residency, so he assume Keevan had come up with a suitable lie.

Regius was still technically Greg's employer, so he spoke with him respectfully and only about subjects that an acquaintance might share. He had a ready wit and was now comfortable with the part goblin being in his home, so they exchanged pleasantries over breakfast and made cups for tea for two on occasion. Lucan, he found more often in the library, and Gregory could tell when he didn't want company. At those times, he set some low music going on the record player and read for a few hours in a secluded corner. Sometimes they would make eye contact and Greg would give him a gentle smile, which was not returned but neither was it rebuffed. Over the course of a few weeks, the other man's posture became less stiff, and they introduced themselves to one another. The company in the manor, whilst lacking the friends of his heart, made the situation acceptable, at first.

Keevan, Gregory heard little from. They bumped into each other coming and going, and his partner-in-crime cum captor looked busy and frazzled. They might have exchanged a nod on occasion, and Greg repeatedly tried to gain access to his business meetings to find out Decado Pharmaceutical's progress with shutting down their bad contracts, but he was turned away every time. Keevan would glare at him and Gregory would retreat into his room or the garden with a heavy heart. The end of the month loomed ever closer and he did not know if the businessman was even attempting to fix things. What if he was being kept indefinitely, if it was easier to keep an eye on him rather than sort out the company?

He had been allowed one (heavily censored) letter to both his parents and to Audel and family, but Gregory suspected that any reply they'd given was being kept from him. Three weeks into his stay at the White manor, Greg ceased leaving his room except to complete his work and to eat. Regius remarked upon it in passing, and he simply told him that he had been very busy with the upcoming Summer blooms. No one remarked upon it after that, as Gregory did not leave his room at all. The grounds kept themselves for those few days, but during that time, the animagus did not leave his bed except to use the facilities. For employees, food was made in bulk, so he was not missed when he skipped three days worth in a row.

Gregory had never felt such a deep and abiding depression in his entire life. He had felt fear, and despair, but this hopelessness was crushing him under a weight that wasn't liftable by any amount of muscle. He missed his cousin and best friend terribly. He thought constantly about his father, his godson and goddaughter, his sisters and even Quoodle, Audel's house cat. There were no tears, only the deep furrow in the bed where he'd curled himself up, and whenever he'd last closed the curtains to his room, he'd not opened them again. It was in this state that Keevan White found his temporary ward, when he at last came to investigate.

Part III
"Father, this is absolutely intolerable," Simon repeated, dropping his quill down onto his desk and glaring sternly at his father's head in the fireplace.

"Will you come over here, Si, you hovering over your work is intolerable to me," Gregory Sr. replied peevishly. His son sighed and abandoned his editing to return to the chaise lounge in his office and face his father. His posture was relaxed but his back was stiff as he reclined into the chaise, letting his father know that he was not at all happy.

"This is what you get for Flooing me at one am, Father-" began Simon, but his father headed him off with a sniff of derision. "I can never work out these time zones, Si, it's just too much effort to keep track of whom lives where."

"I've been in New Zealand for over ten years, now, Father! You, in Yorkshire your entire life. It's no excuse anymore." Only Simon had the gall to scold his own father over communication issues, for the rest of the family knew that Gregory Sr. was far too stubborn to change his ways. Well, so was Simon, and they butted heads more than anyone else in the Blackmoore-Yearlings.

"Yes, yes, anyway I've been trying to ask you about Junior!" Greg Sr. interrupted, causing Simon make a frustrated motion with the hand he was leaning on.

"That's just why I was saying it was intolerable, Father. I'm missing twelve letters from him now, that either didn't get sent or were never written in the first place. Yes, I read that mass letter he wrote to everyone-" Simon snapped when his father made to interrupt again. "That does not count, and you know it. It was the emptiest piece of drivel I've ever read, and I'm saying that as a brother, not an editor. I know that you know what's wrong, and while I respect your decision to keep Greg's business for him, I'm worried."

His father quietened at his response, and Simon sighed, his brow wrinkling with his concern. "So in answer to your question, no, I've heard nothing more from him."

The father and son's mutual glares were disrupted by a rap at Simon's window, which caused them both to look with identical startled faces. A common short-eared owl was waiting patiently on his windowsill with a crumpled letter tied haphazardly to its leg. It looked like it had grasped the parchment mid-flight to stop it from losing its burden. It gave another tap, and Simon leapt to his feet, flinging open the window and making it screech in surprise.

"Sorry, come on in," Simon said to the owl, coaxing it with a few clicks of his tongue. Ruffled, the owl obeyed him and held out the leg with the letter to Simon, who let about relieving it of the scrap. It seemed happy enough to sip daintily at the water dish set out for owls, so the editor left in and return to his seat in order to read. He was being watched with the anxious eyes of his father, and they widened when his son sank to his knees before the fireplace to hold the letter out to him. Gregory Sr's ghost-like hand cradled the scrap of parchment as he read, and the lines on his forehead grew deeper with every word. He was finished reading in less than thirty seconds, and the doctor lifted his head and looked into his son's eyes.

"You must go to him," said Gregory Sr, and Simon took the parchment back and nodded.

"It's not far to travel, but it'll still have to wait until morning. I don't want to leave him that long, but ..."

"I don't think he is being harmed," his father added, a bit too uncertainly for Simon's taste.

"Not that kind of harm, anyway," Simon replied darkly, and Greg Sr. reached through the Floo and clasped his forearm. Simon gripped his Father's in return, and soon his fireplace fluttered back into its usual colour. He stayed kneeling where his father had been for some time. He was in no rush to go to bed; there was still work to be done, and he wouldn't sleep a wink, anyway.

Greg needed him.

BgClPst.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back