Introductions

Landon Dalton

OOC First Name
Beth
Wand
Oak 14 3/4" Essence of Raven Feather
Landon sat by the cool water of the Hogwarts lake.
He wore his white shirt and his red Gryffindor tie.
He was proud of becoming a Gryffindor. Landon's ginger hair blew slightly in the gentle September breeze.
Landon looked at his watch- a silver muggle one he had requested for his tenth birthday- Half past two.
He had several hours to kill and no-one to kill them with.
Landon looked out into the lake, leaning back on his arms, his long legs outstretched.

Lucy walked along the side of the lake, feeling a little bored and lonely. She barely knew anybody at Hogwarts, and she most definately did not fit in. Unlike most people there, she wasn't completely enamoured with the concept of magic. Indeed, she wasn't sure she liked it at all. It wasn't what she was used to, and she suspected she wasn't any good at it at all. Lucy hated not being able to be the best. She'd topped her class all through primary school. But she was born to 'muggles', not wizards, so she was already disadvantaged enough. Using a wand sounded ridiculous, and the fact that all she'd thought were simply legends, like Merlin, and mermaids, and dragons...they were all real. Lucy wasn't even sure what to think anymore.
Noticing a boy she vaguely recognised from one of her classes - Herbology, or something weird like that - Lucy walked over to him with a small smile, feeling that perhaps conversation might do her some good.
"Hi," she called, giving the boy a wave. "Do you mind if I join you?" Lucy asked, politely.

Landon looked up towards the girl who had just approached him.
She was very beautiful and seemed very well-mannered.
"Not at all," Landon said happily, a smile forming on his warm face.
"I'm Landon" Landon said, offering a hand of friendship, should the girl choose to accept it.

Lucy sunk down on to the ground, glad to sit down. It seemed that all she ever did at Hogwarts was walk - up and down stairs, along corridors, through the grounds...it was nice to be able to stop walking and just relax. "Nice to meet you, Landon," Lucy responded with a smile, as she took his hand in her own and shook it. "I'm Lucy...well, Lucinda, but everyone calls me Lucy," she explained, with a small shrug. "I'm guessing you're in Gryffindor?" she asked, examining his attire.

"Yes," Landon grinned. "Very pleased to be too- better than Slytherin.." He didn't think that Lucy seemed the type of girl to be in Slytherin. She was very.. Landon couldn't find words to describe her but she was very something.
Landon looked her up and down before asking, hoping he was right, "Ravenclaw?" he said hopefully.

Lucy nodded. She wasn't exactly sure why everyone hated Slytherins, they were said to be evil, but she'd met a couple and they seemed nice enough. Charlie, for instance, she got on quite well with. Although they did have a lot in common, being out of place at Hogwarts. Historically, the 'evil' wizards had come from Slytherin, though, so Lucy assumed there was some sort of stereotype there. She grinned when Landon guessed her house correctly. "Got it in one! I'm in Ravenclaw. I think the hat debated over Gryffindor and Ravenclaw but I think it realised I'm more brainy than brave," she explained. "How are you liking Hogwarts?" she asked, knowing it was a boring, stereotypical question, but figuring it was a good source of conversation.

"It's great," Landon said, "But I'd hoped to meet more muggle-borns."
Landon sighed. He was so interested in the muggle way of life that at times he wished he was one.
Landon relaxed his arms and layed back on the grass by the sparkling dark lake.
His eyes pondered the clouds for a moment.

Lucy chuckled. "Aren't you in luck, then?" she replied, smirking. "Good for you that you happen to be talking to one right now. I thought most people found the muggle way of life completely boring compared to the wizarding way of life, though," she added, a hint of bitter sadness evident. Lucy was homesick, there was no doubt about it. She missed the simplicity of muggle life, she missed her home and her school and her mum. Hogwarts was nice and all, but her live back home made sense, whereas her life here didn't. She'd worked everything out back home, had her niche in life, had her future planned, was on top of the class, had almost everything she wanted and was on the road to being whatever she wanted.
Then the Hogwarts letter came and changed everything.

Landon stared blankly in Lucy's direction.
"You're.. Muggle-born?" Landon said, his eyebrows raising in disbelief.
He had, somewhat, assumed this girl at least a half blood.
Landon was usually very good at guessing people's personalities, blood types and houses- For once, Landon had been wrong.
"Wow," Landon said, a spark igniting inside him, "Muggles are so facsinating- the ways of communication they have invented, the peculiar things like.. Like t-e-l-e-v-i-s-i-o-n-s." Landon smiled. He'd had to sound this out to make sure he'd said it right.
"And phones.. marvellous." Landon grinned broadly as he thought of these things.
They owned a telephone at the house in which he lived.
His mother often spoke to her muggle friends on it.
Landon was so excited when came the time he was allowed to use the telephone- A man on the other end had asked him if he needed any house insurance. Landon had no idea what he was on about but got into a conversation about football, the only muggle sport he half understood.

Lucy looked down, scowling a little. "That's a bad thing, isn't it?" she muttered. It was dreadfully annoying to think she was making a friend, only to find he was one of those people, the ones who didn't like muggle-borns. At least he wasn't shooing her away, or promoting the ideologies of one blood type over another. If one had asked Lucy about blood types 6 months ago, she would have answered something related to type A and type AB and type O and positives and negatives. Nothing to do with who had magic in their blood and who didn't. Of course, there was no magic in Lucy's blood, technically, and yet she was still here. "Yeah," she said, quietly. "I miss it all, television, well, we mostly call it TV, and the phone, cars, electricity, the music..." she rambled, her expression softening a little as she thought about all the stuff she had at home. "I sound so materialistic, I know," she added, her usual humour reappearing in her countenance.

Landon's mouth opened. He had offended a muggle-born. The only blood type he truly envied.
"No, no," Landon said quickly, "It's not a bad thing at all," He sat up, feeling a little hot under the collar.
"I love muggle-borns, I envy muggle-borns." Landon said truthfully, "I mean, I couldn't live without the wizarding world but I'd love to know more about the muggle world- It must be so exciting." Landon smiled in what he hoped a friendly way.
Landon made a mental note that television was also known as T.V.
"I find it interesting," Landon blushed a little as he said this but smiled all the same.

"Really?" Lucy asked, looking up at Landon and feeling bad for over-reacting. She smiled at his reaction, finding it interesting that he envied her "blood status". "It is kinda exciting, but really strange coming over here, I mean...everything I thought was myth, everything I was told was a myth, like dragons, mermaids, even magic! That's all true. It's a really strange feeling. And not a nice one," she explained, looking a little saddened. "The wizarding world, though, that seems really fascinating...except I don't understand it at all," Lucy admitted, embarassed. "Nearly everyone else here does, though. So much for me being a 'smart Ravenclaw'." She didn't exactly know why she was venting to Landon, he probably wouldn't ever want to speak to her again, but there was something about him...he seemed so friendly and understanding at least. "Ugh. Sorry for venting," she quickly added, with an apologetic look. "I just wish I understood. It makes me feel so stupid, not understanding."

"Don't feel stupid," Landon said, "I don't understand the muggle world- I tend to forget what things are called.. I never knew tele- T.V's existed before my mother told me about the muggle world." Landon smiled sweetly, "I bet you'll do great at lessons- You are in Ravenclaw, after all."
Landon gave a small, cheeky wink of "It'll be ok".
He really liked Lucy- she was very pleasant and she was muggle-born. Maybe they could become the best of friends.. Landon had a sudden picture in his mind of them swimming in the lake.
A wide smile spread across Landon's face. He gave a small chuckle.

"I guess that makes us even," Lucy smiled, pleasantly. She liked Landon, he seemed like a pretty great guy. Maybe Hogwarts isn't so bad after all, she pondered, wondering why she was so worried in the first place. She was making friends, something that had taken her a long time to do back home. And that was one thing that, in Lucy's mind, improved the standing of Hogwarts over St. Mary's.
She tilted her head slightly as Landon grinned and chuckled. "What?" she asked, smiling back at him.

"Nothing," Landon said, though when he faced Lucy, he chuckled.
"Just wondering if when we're swimming in the lake, the Giant Squid would give us rides." Landon laughed at this, his eyes creasing up at the thought.
"Would be a bit slimy though," He said thoughtfully but with a grin.

Lucy giggled. "Oh, don't tell me there's a Giant Squid now!" she sighed, in mock-exasperation. Regardless, Lucy continued to smile. "I wonder what the water's like...I suppose it would be okay to swim in, little cold, though," she muttered, thoughtfully. Now was the time of year they started swimming in PE class at school, anyway. Lucy was a decent swimmer, not the best, but she could swim well enough. It was required that she could swim, anyway - she lived in one of the warmer parts of Australia, after all. "You want to go swimming?" she inquired, that being the impression she got from Landon's statement.

Landon smiled once more.
"Why not?" He said before standing up, taking off his tie and shoes and jumping in.
Landon sank at first, then he arose to the water's surface, his auburn hair flat against his head.
He blinked a couple of times as water ran from his eyes.
"A little cold." He said, keeping afloat by small circular arm movements, "But nice for a swim."

Lucy stared, a little incredulous, as Landon stood up and jumped in. "Wai-" she began, as she quickly slipped off her shoes and socks, and pulled off her jumper and tie. "Well, here goes nothing," she muttered, as she jumped in, and was shocked by the cold. Being so used to warm weather and the warm climate, the coolness of the water came as a bit of a shock. Spluttering, Lucy re-surfaced, her teeth chattering. "A little cold!" she managed to exclaim, pushing her sodden blonde hair out of her eyes. She shuddered a little, before smiling at Landon. "I suppose it will get warmer though."

Alga could hear splashing nearby.
She hoped someone had come to give her some company.
She swam towards the surface blindly but stopped short when she came face to face with a smiling red haired boy.
"Hullo." She said, smiling and continued her way to the surface where she splashed from the water to at least ten metres above, before doing an elegant dive back in.

Landon swam back up to the surface just seconds after Alga.
He had met this mermaid only once before but they'd got on quite well.
"Lucy," Landon said, pausing as Alga splashed back into the water and he had to shut his eyes for a moment as the splash hit him, "This is Alga- she's a mermaid." He said, though he knew it was pretty obvious.

Lucy trod water where she was, warming up a little as she moved her legs and arms. She felt someone come up from under the water - and suspected it was Landon. To her great shock, however, it wasn't. It was...could it be? A mermaid? Lucy squealed, flailing in the water. Lucy didn't think she'd actually see a mermaid, nor did she think that they'd look like that. Of course, she was used to mermaids looking like they did in Disney - The Little Mermaid was a favourite from her childhood. However, this mermaid did not look exactly like what she suspected. Landon reappeared, introducing the mermaid as Alga. "Um, um...okay..." she stated, still flabbergasted. "Hi, Alga, nice to meet you," she said, feeling quite unsure of herself.

Alga smiled her peculiar but friendly smile.
"I speak little good human. I am mermish." Alga smiled as she said this, she turned to Landon, nodded, and turned back to the girl.
She noticed the slightly surprised look on the girl's face. Alga nodded. She knew that those from the muggle world tend not to know of the true identity of mermaids.
"Yes, I am peculiar." Alga said with a smile, "but you should see giant squid." She giggled and splashed her tail playfully.

Lucy had the strangest feeling, as though she was going mad. And the mermaid, Alga, affirmed that there was, in fact, a giant squid. The colour drained from Lucy's face, and she dropped under the water, resurfacing shortly afterwards, coughing and spluttering. She felt like a country hick, the way other Australians viewed those from Brisbane, to be honest. But it wasn't her fault, it was simply that the sight of the mermaid, and hearing her talk, and talk of the giant squid...it was all so overwhelming to Lucy. She gasped for air, knowing she looked ridiculous and hoping she wasn't completely offending the mermaid.

Alga thought that Lucy's splutterings were the signs of a drowning human.
She instinctively swept her arms beneath her and swam to the side of the lake where she put her down.
Alga looked nervously in Landon's direction. Then back at Lucy.
"Are you good?" Alga said, in her mermish voice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back