Intent to Apologise

Gabriel Fletcher

Wand
Curly 16 Inch Unyielding Hornbeam Wand with Erumpent Hide Core
Even Gabriel wasn't ignorant enough not to realise he'd overstepped a line. In his mind, he had not called Lydia fat, but rather suggested that she ought watch what she eat in order to maintain her beautiful figure. But of course, Lydia was a girl, and girls took everything as a potential jab at their weight. The Slytherin sighed, tying up the bouquet he'd arranged in tight yellow ribbons and wrapping some tissue paper around the long stems. It was completely ludicrous that he had to apologise for a remark he had not meant unkindly. If anything, he'd been complimenting her. Why did she have to be so sensitive?

But misunderstandings aside, without an apology, Lydia would surely hold the comment against him for years to come; and since he planned to be her partner for a very long time, he would simply have to swallow his pride and say sorry. Taping up the paper, Gabriel paused to admire his work. It was amazing what one could salvage from the Hogwarts gardens, if discreet enough not to get caught. Breakfast had begun twenty minutes ago, so the Slytherin hurried down to the great hall, bouquet held in his right hand. There at the Hufflepuff table he beheld Lydia, and approached from behind in a remorseful manner. "Hey - Lydia?" he said, placing himself in the gap that had been made for him on the bench when another student scooted aside. "These are for you. I think they're the least you're owed, given how idiotically I behaved the other day. Really, I couldn't be more sorry - although, of course, I was trying to compliment you." His tone suggested that this really should have been obvious from the start, and that Lydia's sensitivity was completely unjustified.

Lydia was feeling generally better after her talk with Felix, though it hadn't involved much, it had been nice and though her thoughts were still entirely filled of Gabe and everything to do with them, it had brought a little calm to her mind, allowing her to study a little easier. The hufflepuff prefect was sat at the hufflepuff table with her books in front of her and studying like she had to do, with exams coming soon she was really keen to buckle down on her studies and now the Valentine's Day stuff had passed the only thing on her horizon were these exams. The teen was keen to pass them, like she assumed most people were, because why wouldn't they want to pass the exams. Lydia had come up with a study time table, which balanced time she had for Gabe, with a little quidditch but still left plenty of time for her to not fall behind in her revision. The teen looked up from her books, letting her gaze float around the hall, looking out for her boyfriend, she felt like she should perhaps apologise for her behaviour over the last few days, she hadn't liked what he'd said, but perhaps she was over reacting, after all as her boyfriend he meant well, he was a good guy, good to her, she was just reading too much into it.

However as luck would have it, he sat down beside her, and greeted her, she gave Gabriel a bright smile, greeting him warmly in return, "Hey," she said before being very surprised as he presented her with flowers, she blushed deeply and smiled at him, accepting the flowers from him, oddly touched by the fact he had gotten her flowers and wondered what the occasion was for, why, and he managed to give her the answers that she had been looking for and she couldn't help but feel touched at the gift but also embarrassed at her reaction to what he said. Lydia leaned in and gave him a light kiss on the cheek, "These are beautiful Gabe," she told him sincerely, "I did over react, I'm sorry, it was just a compliment and I took it wrong," she apologised to him, reaching and taking his hand in hers and giving it a light squeeze, "Thank you,"

That smile could melt Gabriel's heart. All at once his irritation and fear fell away, and it became clear in his mind that apologising had been worth the blow to his pride. He smiled back, blushing like her mirror as she kissed him lightly on the cheek. This was better. Better yet, she proceeded then to apologise for her over reaction - which it most certainly was. "Hey, it's okay," he said, squeezing her hand gently beneath the table. "I like how sensitive you are. It's endearing." And nobody else would put up with it. She truly was lucky to have him.

The Slytherin took a slice of toast with his free hand, still holding Lydia's with the other. "Have you eaten? I hope you're not actually skipping meals because of what I said. You're perfect, just as you are." He bit into his toast and smiled.

Lydia just smiled at him, glad for the little squeeze of her hand in return, her doubts about him had muted themselves slightly, they lingered quietly in her mind, but she liked him, and he was necessary in her life currently. Having him distract her from the books in front of her, and given all the things that had happened around the school, she wanted the distraction. Even though the way Gabriel was usually resulted in her mind lingering to those places but sometimes, like now, when she was actually with him all thoughts floated away and she was just glad to see him, happy for the flowers he had given her, keen to just sit and talk with him, enjoying his company. She hoped that she did nothing to set him off, and that this would just be a nice little morning with him. Lydia smiled at him, nodding at the words, after all being sensitive was a fine thing, she didn't think she was too sensitive but she couldn't know this and given her actions the last few days perhaps he was right, and the fact he didn't mind it was good too, the hufflepuff prefect did need him.

At the words, she gave a little nod of her head, she had of course mulled over the words but she had not done anything to act upon it, her mind taking its time to deal with it and the conversation with Felix had helped her realise that she really didn't have to. It was however nice to hear it from him and she smiled as she lightly nodded, "I have, had something then cleared it all away so I could get some revision done," Lydia explained to him with her usual friendly smile, "How's your morning been so far?" the girl asked clearly interested in Gabe and what he had done prior to coming to sit with her. Lydia didn't usually study in the great hall, but given how soon her exams were, she was studying at every spare opportunity she'd given herself in her study time table.

Gabriel felt a weight lift from his shoulders. He really did think she was perfect, and was pleased that his words had not persuaded her into any action. Her absence around the castle had concerned him beyond the fear that she was avoiding him: he'd been worried she'd been avoiding everybody. As Lydia's girlfriend, Gabriel had a duty to ensure that she was happy, lest speculations were made as to her shift in mood. Fingers would be pointed at him, and before he knew it, the likes of Felix and Stefan would be trying to convince her out of the relationship. Besides, he loved her. Her happiness was one of his top priorities, surpassed only by ensuring she never realised she was too good for him. He'd have brought her flowers every morning if only to remind her how special she was to him, how much he adored and cherished her.

"Great. Can I... can I help?" he asked, waving his toast around as he gestured to the book. He might not have been able to provide her with facts, but he was more than happy to test her memory by quizzing her on what she knew. "Well, it was OK..." he said, eyes glinting. "And now it's perfect." Gabriel leant in to return the kiss on her cheek, smiling into her softly scented skin.

At his offer of help, she couldn't help but be flattered and warmed, from what Lydia knew about Gabe he wasn't too studious and she was sure there was so much that he would rather be doing with his day than helping her study, but she was warmed by the fact that he would want to help her, it felt nice. The teen therefore smiled at him, moving the flowers a little to get a better view of the book, she wasn't sure how he could help but she was sure that they could come up with something and studying together was a harmless endeavour that they could do. The teen listened as she moved the books about one handedly, since she was still holding his hand with the other, and she listened along with what he was saying, feeling herself blush lightly as he leaned in to kiss her cheek. She returned it by leaning in just as he was about to pull away and kissing him on the lips.

As she pulled away she just smiled at Gabriel, this was more like it, easy, distracting, it was perfect. She was glad that he had spoken to her that morning, glad they were together, he was exactly what she needed, "I figure you can quiz me on this," she pushed the book towards him, with a little smile. It would be a good place to start she thought, and she would've had it done by now had she not ended up talking to Felix that day, though really she was more than happy that she had, "I was supposed to have studied this by now, but I was in the prefect's common room and ended up talking to Felix," Lydia told him off handedly not expecting anything to come of it.

Gabriel lingered into the kiss, savouring it. He was sure Lydia's lips alone could have sustained him; he needed nothing more or less than to feel them against his own for all of his troubles to float right away. Finally she pulled back, and he gave her an affectionate smile before turning his attention to the book she suggested he quiz her from. "Sure," he said, more than happy to help. Then again, he hardly imagined Lydia needed it - she was more intelligent than him by far. As she spoke again, he flipped open the first page and began to read. Little of the text made sense to him, which really said a lot about how much he'd studied that term. Hopefully she would not decide to quiz him.

Though he was only listening to Lydia with one ear, that ear was extremely sensitive to three particular words, and suddenly the Slytherin jerked his head up. "W-what?" he said, smiling incredulously. He did not appear angry. Yet. Rather, he was inwardly beginning to panic. She'd talked to Felix about the comment. He knew it. Had Felix told her he was no good for her? That son of a b****. Gabriel would kill him. No, no.... he was being irrational. Lydia was right here, wasn't she? She'd just kissed him! He needed to get to the bottom of this. "What're you talking to Felix for? What's he got to do with anything?" Gabriel squeezed Lydia's hand a little tighter.

Lydia glanced up at Gabe at his word a little confused smile on her lips as she looked at him, as far as she was aware the two didn't know each other, or well, Felix knew of Gabriel and vice versa but they didn't know each other. She didn't think they'd had any interactions beyond what one might have with a kid in their class, she definitely felt confused about it, he didn't appear to be angry or anything like that, but as he asked her about it she noticed his grip on her hand tighten slightly that was the first indication that anything was wrong, why was he asking about Felix, what did it matter what they talked about, should she tell Gabe about it, after all she'd denied the question she'd asked had any link to him, and really it had just felt like two friends talking, she had liked that a lot, he had lingered in her mind the last few days.

"Nothing, Gabe, we just talked about exams," which wasn't exactly a lie but it also was not actually the truth, she couldn't however say much more about it, she didn't want to expand on it. Lydia just met Gabriel's gaze, concerned about how he clutched her hand, and tugging slightly to pull away, "We're friends, he's my friend," Lydia definitely wasn't sure if they were friends but she wanted to be friends with him. The teen didn't have many friends and even though she and Felix hadn't really spoken during this year since their break up but she wanted to be friends with him, and Lydia didn't know why there would be an issue with it, in her mind there definitely wasn't.

Feeling Lydia pull her hand away, Gabriel let go, a lump forming in his throat. Just exams? Gabe didn't believe it. Felix tried to turn Lydia against him - he could see the truth in her eyes. Or... did she still love him? Was their entire relationship a sham? Felix had it all; he was smart, good looking, kind... it was no wonder Lydia still felt for him.

These thoughts were completely irrational, but Gabriel wasn't thinking straight. He was so afraid, so insecure, that he saw no other explanation as to her talking to him. This was terrible. He needed to fix it, fast. Still smiling in confusion, he said gently, "Well, it's just, it's Felix, isn't it? He's your ex." Gabriel couldn't remember how he'd come to know this information, but carried on. "I'm just a bit worried, you know? If he was just an ex, I guess I wouldn't mind, but..." The Slytherin blushed and looked down. "OK look, I didn't want to tell you this, but when Felix first found out I was dating you, he punched me straight in the face. He's a complete psycho. I reckon he'd do anything to get you back. Even... I don't know, make stuff up about me. Do you see why I'm worried?"

Lydia was definitely glad when he let go of her hand, and she proceeded to place both her hands on her lap, rubbing the hand he had grabbed lightly, she didn't think it was a big deal, it didn't matter how she felt about the other boy who was her ex in her mind she was always loyal to Gabe, they were dating after all and she owed it to him to be honest, as much as she could, and remain loyal to him, which she was. In her mind Gabe didn't know the boy well, might've easily known they'd once dated but that was it, and as soon as Gabriel started speaking she leaned into him slightly, listening to what he was saying, she had defended Gabe to Felix, surely Gabriel trusted her enough to know that she wouldn't do anything.

It was a surprised to her that felix had punched Gabriel in the face, she had gotten the impression that the boy hadn't liked who she was now dating but she didn't know if Felix was capable of such violence, perhaps without reason. But, she couldn't help but feel confused about Felix, he didn't seem desperate to get her back, when they'd broken up there had been no attempt by him to reconcile, he hadn't indicated that he wanted to get back together at any point, now perhaps they could be friends and she had to admit she had enjoyed his company but this had changed everything, "Oh," she said, unable to find any words and she just looked up at Gabriel, touching the side of his face lightly with her hand in a delicate fashion, "I'm sorry he hit you because of me, I honestly didn't know he even wanted me back," She gave him a little smile, she wasn't sure who to believe in this, but she believed Felix would've had his reasons for it, but since she was dating Gabriel, and she needed him to be a distraction from the way her mind sometimes lingered to places she didn't like, she had side with him here, she couldn't lose him. Lydia wanted to be friends with Felix, but if it upset Gabe then she couldn't be, "I won't talk to him again, okay?" she hoped this would help make things better. Lydia was still thinking about how he had tightly gripped her hand, but she could ignore that and just focus on fixing it, it had been her fault anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back