In The Middle

Philippa Buchanan

Juliet was walking down the dark streets of New York at 2.15am. It was raining and Juliet was wet. What she didn't know was that a gang of drunk men were following her...until one spoke up. "Hey Tootes." one said said, spinning her round, trying to touch her. "Get off me!" she said, pushing him hard.

Jack had left a pub, he had had enough to drink without over doing it, and had been leaving. But, he had seen some other men leaving just after him, and as he was about to apparate, he saw them follow a pretty girl down a dark street. Sensing trouble and deciding to play the hero, he followed at a distance, but sped up as he saw one touch her. Feeling an anger burning up inside of him for the mistreating of this girl, he pulled out his wand. Without anyone seeing him, he flicked it and sent a jet of red light out of it, stunning the guy. Being of age had now come as an advantage to Jack, meaning that he didn't need to be at school to perform magic. With a few more flicks of his wand, he had stunned 4 men and left one more, who was advancing towards the darkness where Jack was standing. Keeping him at a reasonable distance, Jack decided to speak. "That is really not very nice, not a good way to treat a lady." He said, glaring at the guy. He was playing it cool, and wouldn't do anything irrational. He had forgotten the girl for a moment, instead replacing her with his cousin whom he could imagine getting into a situation like this. "Now, like i have shown your friends, i wish to teach you a lesson. But first, apologise to the lady." He said, pointing his wand and the guy now, and as they circled, keeping him away from the girl. He hadn't addressed her yet, and didn't plan to until the problem had been solved.

Juliet was shivering with fear. "Uhh." she said.
The man, fat and drunk (you could smell it a mile away), smiled a cheesy grin. "Na, Na Mate. This gurl is a fine thang and dawt dawt dawt." his American drunk accent slurred and made his way towards Juliet. She stood speechless and scared, almost about to faint, and it was obvious she was going too.

Jack raised his eyebrows. Stepping towards the girl, he put an arm around her waist, ready to catch her if she would faint, and it seemed like she would. He smiled at her quickly before turning his attention back to the man, his voice harsh now. "Ok, so you have seen what has happened to your friends, and that was me being nice. Now apologise, or you will see my true wrath." He said, his voice cold and angry. He glared at the man, feeling at his boiling point of anger. With a quick flick of his wand, he had pulled up a shield, invisible to the human eye. It would protect Jack and the girl against the man if he advanced and further.

Juliet held onto The stranger, even though he seemed odd she recognized him. Thr drink man pulled out his wand and apparated, just behind Juliet and grabbed her, holding his wand to her neck, looking deadly.

Jack sighed at the man as he advanced and then noticed the wand. Sighing even more now, he stepped in front of the girl, not imagining that the man would go behind her. He grabbed hold of the guys shoe as he apparated and held on, feeling like a superhero. As they landed, Jack pulled himself up and pointed his wand at the guy. Producing a stinging jinx, he got the mans fingers to release the girl and grabbed her quickly. Spinning on the spot, he landed in an abandoned cave, one that he visited regularly as a safe haven. He looked around, and seeing no sign of the man, he breathed in deeply and turned to the girl. "Its ok. He won't find us here. No one else knows of its whereabouts." He assured her. "Are you ok?" He now asked, worried that the guy had hurt her with his wand. He held out his hand now, playing the perfect gentleman, his deadly streak gone. "Im Jack, Jack Evans." He introduced, smiling at her weakly.

"Jack Evans! That's where I've seen you! Durmstrang! I go there. 5th year. I'm Juliet, Montague." she smiled and withdrew a nerve-killing potion and downed it in one breath. She immediatleyfelt better.

Jack smiled at the girl. He didn't recognise her, but when she mentioned being a 5th year, he figured why. The 7th year boys only interacted with the 5th year girls for one reason and Jack didn't think that girls should be treated like that. Smiling at her he nodded. "Its nice to meet you Juliet. You have a nice name." He added, thinking it very fitting to a pretty girl such as the one standing in front of him. "Are you sure that you are ok?" He asked, concerned for the girl. He looked around the cave and flicked his wand, sending balls of light into every corner of the confined area. The whole area of it was about 8 by 8 metres and Jack wasn't used to sharing it with random people that he had 'saved'. He smiled and sat down, leaning against the wall. "I think it would be best to stay here for a while. You know, that stupid idiot will be out and around looking for both of us. Did you have somewhere where you needed to be? Or can you afford to spend the night here?" He asked, perfectly happy to apparate her back to the area and make sure that she got into somewhere safely, but he would prefer her company with him.

"Actually I'm meeting my best friend Gwen, also a Durm, for a clubbing night. Mind dropping me off?" Juliet lied. She didn't trust him fully. Maybe in a month or two but no no now.

Jack raised his eyebrows at the girl. Something told him that she was lying. "Oh Gwen. I know her. Can i join you?" He asked, wondering how she would sort out the problem of her lies now. "And if you don't mind me asking, what was a pretty girl like you doing out in the streets on your own so late at night?" He asked, his eyes flashing darkly at the memory of the way the drunken man had looked at her when her back had been turned.

Jack raised his eyebrows again. "So you aren't going to go clubbing then?" He asked, confused at the logic of this girl. "Don't worry, i won't hurt you, i just want to know what is going to happen. You may have not noticed, but its a dangerous world out there for girls such as yourself." He said, feeling angry at her now. He had saved her skin and now she wouldn't even give him the courtesy of being nice. "Where do you want to go?" He asked, but still remained sitting, not happy to leave the girl on her own. He was responsible and would never forgive himself if anything went wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back