Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Married
Sexual Orientation
Bisexual (Jason)
Wand
Knotted 11 Inch Whippy Oak Wand with Phoenix Tail Feather Core
Starting his final year at Hogwarts made Matthew feel oddly melancholy. He didn't know what he would do after school, if he would be welcomed home by his parents or be cast out. He didn't know where he would go or what he would do, and it was overshadowing any enjoyment he could get from this final year at school. A part of him felt like he should be making the most of it, but he didn't know how.

But there was one thing that always made him feel better, which was writing to Leah. Their contact had remained strong despite the years apart. His crush on her had unfortunately stayed just as strong, which was a bit frustrating because she didn't feel the same way. With every new letter he got from her he dreaded she would tell him she had a boyfriend. So much so that the first thing he did with every letter he received was scan it for any boy names. So far she hadn't said anything, but he knew he would feel crushed when she finally did. And it would happen. Surely someone else would see how beautiful and smart she was. Someone who wasn't at the other side of the world.
Letter said:
Dear Leah Honey-Mustard,

Look at me, nearly using your actual name. I guess that means I miss you? I mean, I do. It's been a while since I've written, and now I'm back at Hogwarts. Final year, can you believe it? Kind of odd to finish school at different sides of the world, but at least we'll be free at the same time. How's Ilvermorny? Are the horned serpents doing alright in Quidditch? Hufflepuff didn't do so hot last year, and I think I'm part of the reason. Guess I'm not the best keeper in the world, but the captain hasn't replaced me yet.

Your cousin seems to be doing well, and your other cousin got sorted in my house. No worries, I'll try to keep an eye out for her. She seems sweet, more like you than the other one. Rory always looks like she's up to something, so I try to stay away as I don't want to get involved. As a responsible older student I should probably see what she is up to and stop her, but she feels sort of unstoppable.

My own sisters (I still can't believe they're both here) are both mad at me, so I'm starting to wonder what I'm doing here. Not to be too glum, Hogwarts is great, but I left for Odette. She barely speaks to me, and neither does Charlotte since she knows. It would be one thing if they were at least an united front against me, but I've seen some dirty looks between them. I just hope neither will do something stupid.

Sorry to be sort of down. I guess it's the realization that we're old and soon leaving school. Can we hang out over the Christmas holidays? It's been a while. I promise not to kiss you this time, so don't worry. Let me know if you can. If not a long visit, maybe we can at least meet for coffee (the superior drink to tea. I will get you to admit that some day)

Let me know!
Sort-of-sad Matthew

Leah couldn't believe that her final year at Ilvermorny was already upon her. It was true that it felt like it had been forever since she had first stepped onto the Gordian Knot to begin her sorting, but the last couple of years during her OWLs and beginning her NEWTs had rushed past her in a blur of speed that she couldn't quite comprehend. Things she knew that had actually occurred over a year ago felt as fresh in her memory as events that had happened last week, and it was scary to think that in a few short months - and they would be short, as well as busy - she would be done with school for good and thrust out into the wider world. She had plans, of course - she had wanted to try and become a teacher for years now, but that aspect of her future was all up in the air until her final exam results came in. All she could do until then was study her hardest, and enjoy her last year of walking through Ilvermorny's halls.

But it would be hard to do it without Matthew. He of course hadn't set foot in Ilvermorny since the end of his fourth year, and even though Leah continued to completely support and agree with his decision to attend school in New Zealand - she couldn't help fantasising that one day he would reappear in the Horned Serpent common room and announce that he'd come back to spend his last year with her. It was silly, of course, and absolutely never going to happen but... Leah missed Matthew enough to wish that it could. She had to make do with his letters, and while it was enough considering the circumstances, Leah was beginning to realise that it... wasn't. Particularly once she had received Matthew's latest letter. Usually they were full of bright quips and horribly bad puns that made her smile and grimace all at once, but this time... she wondered if she was over reacting but she could actually feel a lump rising in her throat. Matthew didn't deserve to feel sad or down at all, and Leah wanted nothing more than to reach out and fold him into the most loving hug that she could. It actually scared her how much she wanted it, and it made her realise - she needed to tell him. Not now, not in a letter but... soon. The next time she saw him. He didn't deserve her continuing to lie to him about her feelings on top of all the other things that were happening to bring him down right now. She just hoped he wouldn't be too mad or... uncomfortable, when he eventually found out. She wouldn't be able to bear to losing their friendship if that were the case.
Letter said:
Dear Matthew,

I can't believe that we're in seventh year already. I always thought we'd finish our NEWTs together as well, just like we began at Ilvermorny together so long ago. The school is... still the same really, after all these years. There's a new bunch of tiny first years tripping all over the place, of course, but the summer air's truly leaving us up here in the mountains now. The Serpents haven't played yet this year, but I'll go down and support them with all my heart once they do. I'm also continuing to support Hufflepuff all the way over here, and I absolutely do not think it's because of you that they might be doing less than perfect recently (I'm still not the greatest Quidditch expert in the world, but I'm sure the Seekers are far more to blame for the final scores than you are). Besides, as long as you're enjoying yourself up there that's all that really matters anyway. I wish I was able to be there to watch your goofy smile as you manage to block someone's shot one last time.

I'm glad to hear that Rory and Sophia seem to be doing well, even if your description of Rory makes me about as nervous as it makes me laugh. Unstoppable is a good word to describe her... I only hope that she's watching out for Sophia too, the poor girl sounds quite nervous from what Mom has been telling me. Thank you for being able to do something as small as look out for her from afar, even if I don't think you'll need to intervene too much, if at all. Even though she's two years younger, she's already far more capable than Rory in most things.

I'm sorry to hear that both Odette and Charlotte are mad at you, and I hope you don't think it's too rude of me to say that I think they're being silly to keep you at a distance. I'm probably just biased because I love spending time with you and couldn't imagine why they wouldn't too, but I know that I have no idea at all how they're thinking and feeling about this whole situation, and that they will have good reasons for their... less than ideal display of those feelings. I'm sorry, I'm trying to make you feel better about all of this, and I think instead I've just talked myself into a very large hole. I wish I was there to support you in person, I'm sure I could do a much better job in that way than sending words to you from across the world.

I would love to see you over the Christmas holidays, absolutely. You know I'll be coming to New Zealand anyway, so I'll make time to see you whenever and wherever you'd like. There has to be tea involved though, or I simply must refuse your invitation.

Looking forward to seeing you,

Leah

Matthew's seventh year was passing by in a slow blur, one that he sort of moved through automatically. He was nervous about graduating, and also nervous about his family situation. He felt a little bad for the sad letter he had written to Leah, but was still very happy to get and read her response. Leah's voice on paper sounded so much like her, that he could practically hear every word of her in her voice in his head as he read it. It brought a smile to his face, and he started writing back immediately.
Letter said:
Dear Leah Chocolate Cake,

That name makes very little sense, but I sort of have a craving for chocolate cake right now so it's on my mind. I'm glad to hear from you. I sort of miss the mountains, so hearing you describe them even a little is kind of nice. It's becoming spring here, which is also nice. I'm not that much of a winter person. Have fun being cold while I'm nice and toasty! Hufflepuff hasn't played yet either, but I'm sure I'll feel your support when we do. And I'll just ignore how you sort of implied seekers are the most important part of the quidditch team, Mustard. Keepers are very important, I'll have you know. But the first game of the year here is Gryffindor and Slytherin, so I'll get to watch Odette. She's very good, which makes it even more frustrating that I'm struggling a bit. But I'm still proud of her for it, even if she wouldn't want me to be. And just so you know, your statement of 'as long as you're enjoying yourself up there that's all that really matters', has just made me decide you would have been a Hufflepuff too if you came to this school. That's a very Hufflepuff way to think.

Unstoppable IS the right word. I really pity and prefect that has to try to stop her and her group of friends from breaking rules. Did you know she has a whole group of girls she's always around? They seem alright, but definitely the sort to see rules as optional. Sophia seems a lot more serious. I would offer to talk to her, but I don't know if she would like that. It may just make her more nervous to have a seventh year talk to her out of the blue, even if she knows who I am.

The situation with Odette and Charlotte is what it is. I did uproot both their lives, and I think its kind of natural that they both take it out on me in their own ways. It's funny how alike they are, even though they seem to be at odds. I wish you were her in person too, but I have to say you're doing a great job with your words alone. So don't beat yourself up, Leah Pea-brain. I would love to see you over the holidays, so I look forward to that. You can drink your leaf water, and I'll stick to the superior variety.

I can't wait to see you,
Slightly-happier Matthew

Leah always felt an ecstatic little thrill ripple through her whenever she received a letter from Matthew. It was both a great joy and beginning to become slightly unbearable now that she had decided she wanted to tell him how much she liked him. When he had first left Ilvermorny they had both been younger, and Leah hadn't realised that she had liked him that way at all... it had been a shock to discover, and then blindingly obvious, and she had nurtured her feelings for Matthew over a distance ever since. It was the reason she enjoyed getting his letters so much, beyond the obvious of course. Sometimes it was very easy to feel like she had a different Matthew in her head, one who always responded to her in the way she wanted and was perfect - and his letters completely crushed that feeling on the head, for which she was thankful. She didn't care how perfect the Matthew in her head might be, she didn't want him to be like that at all. She'd much rather have Matthew just as he was, not some fake version of himself... even if his real self was obsessed with silly food puns, Leah thought with a warm smile as she read the first sentence of his latest letter.
Letter said:
Dear Matthew,

Well I hope you managed to find some chocolate cake by the time this letter reaches you. But fancy saying that you miss mountains - New Zealand is supposed to full of beautiful mountains, isn't it? But perhaps it's homesickness talking, and not really the mountains at all (if you don't mind me assuming such things, of course). It is getting colder here now, and I practically live with my hands wrapped around a mug of tea every morning. If you can't agree with me on the merits of its taste, Matthew, please at least admit that it's a suitable beverage for keeping my hands movable enough to study for my NEWTs - how is yours going by the way? Well, I hope.

But I will defer to you on matters of Quidditch, always - Keepers truly are important, it's true, and I'm glad you're taking a stand for them against those spotlight-stealing seekers. If you need anyone else for the movement I would gladly join. Tell me, how did Odette's game go? Have Hufflepuff played yet? My Gran would agree with you about my belonging there - it's nice to know we likely would have been in the same houses whatever school we first attended... those similar traits must be what make us fit together so well.

It's nice to hear about Rory and Sophia at school, even as briefly as they're mentioned (which I of course bear you no grudge for, even I feel the need to remove myself from Rory's presence when I have been around her for too long). I've heard about these girls she's friends with, though I can't remember all their names now - perhaps one is called Hayley? Or was it Harley? It seems to change constantly, but Rory always sounds like she's having fun with them regardless, even though it's likely getting her into a lot of trouble with the professors.

I still hold hope that the situation with Odette and Charlotte can be worked out. It's comforting to know my letters can be of some help to you all the way over there (comforting enough that I shall overlook you calling me a pea-brain in almost the same sentence). Your letters do the same for me you know. It's become very easy to get bogged down in studying almost every hour of the day, and reading one of your letters - or even just looking through the albums I've made from the photos you've sent me - is always a nice break, and makes me feel like you're sitting here next to me stealing and hiding one page of my notes at a time to see if I notice. (You know, I always noticed the look on your face before seeing that a page was gone - it was such a guilty mix of being absolutely pleased with yourself and yet ready to give the page back immediately because I would need it.)

The holidays can't come soon enough, Matthew. I just sat here for five minutes between that last sentence and this one, remembering.

I really can't wait to see you,

Leah

Matthew was counting the days until he Christmas Holidays. He would finally get to see Leah again, something he felt both excited and nervous about. It would be so strange to see her, especially as his feelings for her weren't going away. One would think they would fade over time when he wasn't seeing her every day, but it was like they just got stronger. Every letter he got from her made him smile like a total dork for the remainder of the day. He had re-read the letters he had received plenty of time, and felt butterflies in his stomach every time he read her words. He read her latest one four times in a row, poring over the words and lingering on her saying they fit together well. He knew she didn't mean it in the way he wanted her to, but he enjoyed reading it regardless.
Letter said:
Dear Leah Pea

Look a visual pun that is also a food pun. Aren't you proud? It looks like it would rhyme, but it's also food as in peas. I guess it's not as clever as I thought, now that I write it out. I'm keeping it in though. I did say I miss mountains, but I meant specifically the location of the school. There are mountains here but Hogwarts is not on top of one. But yeah I think part of it is homesickness. It's strange how I miss the mountains more than my childhood home. Not to be a bummer again. I swear this letter won't be as sad as that other one. I can't have you thinking all I do here is mope around. You're so strange, though. Of course tea is a suitable beverage for keeping your hands movable and warm, but coffee is just as hot! And it actually tastes good. NEWT studying is going alright. I think. I hope. Let's move on. We both know you're going to do better than me.

So I know I ranted against seekers, but Hufflepuff won the most recent match because our inexperienced alternate seeker managed to get the snitch. But I also did fairly well, I only let one quaffle through. Please pretend to be proud of me, okay? I imagine it's boring to hear about a match in a letter. I do think we fit together well, though you could be a Ravenclaw too. You're studeous enough, anyway. Still, I like to imagine we'd hang out in the Hufflepuff Common room all the time while you remind me to do my homework.

I think I have figured out the friend mystery for Rory. Unless I'm mistaken, there are TWO. I think one is Hayley and one is Harley. Or maybe there's two Hayleys or two Harleys. There's a third girl too, though her name escapes me. Maybe it's also Hayley and she's started a collection. They do seem to have fun, and I wouldn't worry about her too much. Nothing she gets into seems to get her into serious trouble. And I have a feeling Sophia will keep an eye on her too. She seems sensible.

Nooo I just realized I already used a pea related joke in my previous letter. How could I forget? I think at this point it would be less painful if you just legally change your name. Lea pea-brain has a nice ring to it doesn't it? (I'm joking, Mustard is the best name ever. Never change it) I think I'll try to talk to Charlotte again soon, though I also wonder if I should approach Odette again. She is very insistent that I shouldn't, so I guess I'm trying to give her space. I'm still practically a stranger to her, and I don't think I should push it.

I should have realized you'd make albums of my photos, organized as you are. Do they have little dates and descriptions? Don't tell me if they don't, I want to imagine they do. Maybe you can show me when I'm visiting. And of course you're now saying you always noticed, but we both know I'm stealthy and a master thief.

I really miss you too. The holidays are around the corner. Soon you'll be wishing I was out of your hair.

I look forward to stealing your notes again,

Matthew

It was almost Christmas, and Leah was glad that she was able to get in one last letter to Matthew before she and her mother took their usual international portkey down to New Zealand for the holidays. She was both extremely excited about it - she would get to see Matthew again, after all - but also extremely nervous. Ever since coming to terms with the fact that she liked him enough to feel bad about not telling him the depth of her feelings, Leah had known that the next time they saw each other face to face, she would have do the brave thing, the right thing, and let him know how much she truly cared about him. Matthew deserved to know, even if he didn't feel the same way. Which she was completely expecting. It would hurt to hear him say it out loud, but it was hurting her to lie to him too. Besides, perhaps hearing him reject her outright romantically... would be enough to help her move past this. When he had jokingly mentioned legally changing her name in his letter, her brain had automatically gone to Leah Harper - and if that wasn't a sign that she should start thinking about nipping this thing in the bud, nothing was.
Letter said:
Dear Matthew,

Your latest pun on my name is inspired, and your following explanation of it just made me smile all the more. I won't say too much about the NEWTS, mostly because you asked but also because - I'll be in New Zealand very soon! Perhaps we can look over some things together (and it will give you a chance to steal my notes like you said you wanted to - there won't be many more of those. Can you believe that in five or so months we'll be finished school forever?).

I'm so glad to hear you won your match! I'm also very pleased to tell you that our other house team also won their last match here at Ilvermorny, so we can celebrate the double victory! I want you to know that I was cheering very hard, and I think I almost went a little hoarse because of it... but it was so much fun. I only wish I could cheer as much for you in person, because I always do in spirit.

Also I'm so glad that you've managed to clear up this friend of Rory's confusion for us! A Hayley and a Harley - what are the odds? As for calling me Leah Pea-Brain... I would swat at your shoulder if you were here right now, but you know I wouldn't be properly angry. I don't think changing my name would actually stop you - though it might make you start calling me 'Mustard' for a change!

And as usual, I support your efforts with both Charlotte and Odette - hopefully they'll come around sooner rather than later, and it feels silly to cross my fingers for it but I'm doing it anyway.

As for the albums... you're right, they do all have dates and descriptions for each set you've sent me. I'll bring one for you, if you like, though I'm a little embarrassed that you know me so well to have figured out how I display them without ever having seen one. You clearly know me very well.

Speaking of seeing you soon... I have something important to tell you, Matthew. I guess I wanted to give you a little warning, though it's not something I would ever tell you in a letter. I want to say more, reassure you, but I think that will just make it seem bigger than it should be.

You'll know, and I'll see you, quicker than you know. I can't wait.

Leah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back