Icy Water

Alga

The sun was blocked by snowy clouds although no snow fell.
Alga was deep beneath the surface, brushing her fingers through her shining blonde hair.
She hated the ice that was begining to coat the lake. She wanted to talk to students but, as she remembered with a pang, they were due to go for their winter holiday.
She sighed and looked up towards the surface where there was a slight ripple.

Andrew had packed his trunk and was ready to leave the school after lunch but he had two hours before that so he decided to go and visit the icy lake to see what the Giant Squid might be up to in this cold water.He had managed to pick up few stones and threw them in water making rippels in the icy lake.

He leaned against one of the trees because he wouldn't sit on the thick cover of snow on which he stood.He watched the silent forest and the lake, did everyone go to sleep during winter? he thought feeling like he was the only living creature around.

Alga swam towards the surface, arms reached out.
She could feel the ice. Was there a way to break it? She swam back towards the bottom of the lake and grabbed a nearby rock.
She swam back up to the surface. The rock cut into her hands slightly as she bashed at the ice, trying to crack it.
There was a loud squeek and pop as the ice split.
Alga pushed at the ice and it flipped back on itself. She pulled herself upwards and managed to rest on the ice, worn out but smiling over at the boy she could see.

Andrew thought he heard something and than the frozen ice on the lake broke and out came a beautiful mermaid. He had never seen one but ofcourse had read about them. She smiled at him! and Andrew smiled back.

It was so unfortunate for Andrew not to know their language otherwise they could chat. Such an oppurtunity he'd lose."Hello"he said smiling more wishing for his chances that the mermaid might understand him.

The mermaid smiled again, "Hollel," She said, meaning hello.
Out of the water, her hair hung around her shoulders and her tail lay flat against the ice. It was much harder to move out of the water.
Fortunately, mermaids could breath out of the water but the change in pressure still made her ears pop.

She replied, Andrew couldn't believe his luck.He smiled at her as he spoke pointing to himself."I am Andrew and you are?"he asked later pointing at the mermaid as he now sat on the snow so they could be on the same level.

Alga mimicked his movement, pointing to herself she said "Alga," then she pointed to Andrew, "You are Andew" She said, missing out the r.

Andrew laughed as she called her Andew, it sounded funny and cute.He nodded as she said that he was Andrew."Your family lives in the lake?" he asked pointing into the lake."How many are you?"he asked curiously.

"A few" she said, sighing slightly, "some left.. I am knowing not all merpeople." She shook her head and cast a look back into the water.

"Wow"he murmured thinking of so many merepeople in there."Don't you feel cold in the ice?"he asked her now curious to talk more.He observed her long golden hair and her other features like her tail.She was beautiful."Do you have a husband, mereperson?"he asked her.

Alga sighed, looking slightly sad, "I am having no husband" She smiled again, "Nice merman - Storm.." She began to giggle, her golden hair glued to the sides of her face. Her tail flicked slightly.

Andrew laughed as she said that there was a nice mereman."You know nice English, I didnt expect that you would.So do you often talk to puplis?"he asked her another question.

"Whenever possible," Alga replied cheerily, "I like speak to students." She grinned at Andrew and flicked a small amount of icy water with her tail in his direction.

Andrew didnt know that this was going to come.So he laughed as the child drops of water fell on his face.He made a snowball and threw at her."Did you leave here always or did you come from some other lake through a cave or something?"he asked her.

Alga smiled as the snowball flew towards her and swung her tail infront of her to stop the snowball hitting her face.
When Andrew asked the question, her answer was immediate.
"I did live couple lakes away with mumma and pappa but they said I am being too old and must leave to find own home. This is first decent place I am finding so I settle here." She grinned broadly as though she was rebelling against her parents wishes.

"Wow so you live in there alone without your parents"he asked in a bit of shock."Independent mermaid"he added with a smile."So do you like it that way or did you like it with your parents around?"he asked

"Is it fun in there? What do you do for fun in winter. You must be liking winter over summer, yeah?"he asked Alga.She was fun to talk with.

"I do miss parents, independence is good though." She smiled at Andrew.

"Break ice in winter, competition. Swim with students in summer." Alga smiled that almost human smile. Her eyes beamed her happieness in talking to a student after such a long time of silence from the surface world.
"What you do for fun in winter, Andew?" She asked, curious.

"I make snowman, play snowball fight, ski"he said smiling back."But I can't ski here because...there are so many trees and its not like a proper place for skiing."he explained.

He wanted to ask what Alga'a age as a mermaid was, he couldn't guess because he didnt meet mermaids so he didnt know how they look at what age, but he thought that she might not like to tell him so he didnt ask."Do you have friends in there, I have many human friends who'd like to meet you, do merepeople like seeing humans?"he asked her.

Alga sighed, smile fading slightly, "Lot of merpeople is not liking humans, some like Alga do. I am having no friends here but you, Andew." Alga gave a slight friendly smile, happy she had someone to talk to, "I am only young and spend most of time in cave I live in." She smiled and looked down through the ice, "I am knowing only Storm, I know not if we are friends...." Alga slapped her tail against the ice, it made a small crack. The ice was slowly parting beneath her.
"Visit me again, Andew," Alga said, feeling her tail slipping through the ice, "In summer bring friends and we swim together." She smiled, the ice broke further.

"I will of course come to see you again."he said with a grin.Than he had an idea."hey Alga, can I take a snapshot of us?"he asked hoping she wouldn't mind it.He took out the latest model of the slim magical camera from his pocket and switched it on."Say cheese"he said grinning

Alga smiled and a few seconds after the photo was taken the ice split and Alga was plunged back into the icy water.
Alga let herself drop slowly to the bottom of the lake and sighed. At least she'd made a friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back