I try

Briony Harper

OOC First Name
Malynne
Wand
Alder Wand 13 3/4" Essence of Dragon Heartstring
It was such a rainy day, and such a perfect day for finishing up a few books. The Ravenclaw Second Year Briony Harper had brought a few pillows to the Sixth Floor and managed to find a hidden corner near a window to finish up a few books she had neglected. Apparently many of the other students had felt the same way as her about it being the perfect reading weather and the common room was crowded with students completing homework, and the library happened to be packed with other students doing the same. It was quite annoying, but she set up a nice little nook and was very comfortable. The hallway was basically deserted with few students ambling along, and so she was left undisturbed.

Jeremy had been sitting reading in the common room for a while, but it began getting crowded and he was tired of reading anyway, so he left the area. Walking down to the sixth floor and about to turn and head to the fifth, Jeremy stopped to watch a painting of a dog and its owner interacting. He loved the paintings in the school because they had so much personality. As he continued to watch, the owner threw a fanged frisbee and the dog chased after it. He followed its progress as the dog made its way from painting to painting, finally catching up to the frisbee in a painting of an old woman cooking. Jeremy smiled when the woman stopped what she was doing and gave the dog a pat on the head.

Turning away from the image, Jeremy saw something else that made his smile remain in place. It was a fellow second year from his house. He waved to her as he spoke. "Hi Briony. How are you today?" he asked in a friendly way. She looked as if she were about to settle down to read, so he didn't want to disturb her too much.

Briony giggled a little as she read a particularly humorous paragraph of the book she was reading. She flipped the page and leaned up against the wall, her back starting to hurt from sitting up for too long. She looked up as none other than Jeremy Thorne appeared in front of her. Her heart did a short flitter flutter like butterfly wings as she smiled shyly. "Hey. I'm pretty good, how are you?" She wondered what had brought him up to the Sixth Floor. Perhaps he had decided to find somewhere private to spend his day, or maybe there was a chance he had been searching for you. "Was the common room to crowded for you?"

Jeremy nodded his head shyly when Briony asked whether he'd left because it was too crowded. That was exactly why and he wasn't surprised that Briony had guessed. She was one of the smartest girls he knew after all. "Yea, and it was really noisy too. Today's one of those days to just sit back and relax."

He pointed to the painting over his shoulder before he stepped over to her. The dog had left to return to its own painting with the frisbee and the woman had returned back to her cooking. "So...I've just been watching the pictures" he shrugged, knowing it was probably an odd way to spend an afternoon.

"I tried taking a nap in the girls dorm, but a few of my roommates decided to come up there and talk about some wizarding band..." Briony shook her head. It had been incredibly annoying and she hoped that by time it was time for bed that they would have settled down. It was a bit awkward with her sitting down and him standing up, so she placed a bookmark with a few colored birds printed on it inside of her book and stood up.

"They are fun to watch." She agreed, staring at the painting. "What's your favorite floor here?"

Jeremy nodded as he listened to Briony speak about her roommates. He knew the feeling. His roommates could get really loud sometimes too though for the most part they were pretty quiet like him. The second year watched as his friend placed her bookmark in its place and the stood up beside him.

He was glad when Briony didn't laugh at what he'd been doing. Exploring the castle had become one of his favorite hobbies this year, so when she asked him which floor he liked best, he had an immediate answer. "Well I like the painting down the hall with the wizard and his dog. That's what I was watching a minute ago, but I don't know if I have a favorite floor. The best pictures are down on the second floor." At least in Jeremy's opinion. "Do you have a favorite floor?" he asked since she had asked the question.

Freaking idiot. Favorite floor? Briony couldn't understand fully why she was beating herself up for something so stupid that Jeremy probably didn't even think nothing about. She looked over at the painting he was talking about and grinned. "I like that one too." She pointed over at a painting with dancing flowers. "Of course that one is cool too...although a little weird." It's sunshiney and light colors had always made her smile. "My favorite floor is....this one. It's quiet."

The Sixth floor was a place she would go to get away from everyone, but she was happy beyond measure that Jeremy had stumbled across her.

Jeremy looked at the painting she'd pointed out of dancing flowers. It was alright, he guessed but kind of girly to him. He figured it had probably been drawn by a witch or something. When she said that she liked this floor, Jeremy nodded his head in understanding. He could definitely see why. It was quiet probably because the younger students had no reason to go there. The only classes that were taught on the floor were electives and there wasn't really much else on the floor except for some pictures, a bench and a few other things.

As they stood beside each other, Jeremy wondered what they should talk about next. "You um had a cool costume on Halloween" he said shyly as he recalled her medieval princess costume. There seemed to have been a lot of girls in princess or queen costumes, but Jeremy had noticed Briony's right away probably because it was on a friendly face. He'd meant to tell her the night of the feast but he'd been busy with brotherhood business and by the time the auction had ended, the dance had been at its end. "Did you make it yourself or buy it?" he asked.

Briony frowned a little. She noticed his lack of liking for the portrait that she liked. It was a bit on the girly side. Perhaps she should have lied and said the portrait of the human man in the midst of turning into a werewolf was her utmost favorite. Perhaps he would have been a bit more enthusiastic about that one. Men. She thought with exasperation. Of course it wasn't his fault, it was hers for thinking far to much about everything she said or did around him.

"Thanks!" Briony smiled again. "I didn't see you at the party....were you in the Brotherhood?" She had bid adamently at the auction hoping for Jeremy, but the guy she had won had been quite the gentleman. "My Aunt made it for me. I know it's a bit cliche to be a Princess, but I just love dressing in medieval and renaissance clothing, so to heck with all the critiques! Not that you are one..."

When Briony brightened at the compliment to her costume, Jeremy smiled shyly once more. He nodded his head when she asked if he was part of the brotherhood. "Yea, I was one of the dementors" he added. The Halloween feast had been a blast, especially when they'd all gone on the stage and everyone had seen the crowd of death eaters and dementors on stage. Some of the first years had even looked frightened. Jeremy was pretty surprised that no one had pulled a wand on the group, but thankfully that hadn't happened. "Did you bid?" he asked wondering if she had and if she'd won. He'd been too nervous and the bids had gone so quickly that he only really remembered his own. Everyone else's was a blur to him.

He listened as she explained that her aunt had made the dress and then shook his head when she said he wasn't criticizing her costume. "No, it was really cool. It looked kind of like one of the pictures from the History of Magic textbook" he said quietly. As he continued to think about the feast, he laughed and then explained not wanting his friend to think he was laughing at her. "Did you see Professor Spenser and that other professor dancing?" He couldn't believe that their Head of House had come in as a cowboy and then entered a dance-off. It had been hilarious to see.

"I thought so. I didn't see you, so either you were in the Brotherhood or you just didn't want to go..." Briony was a bit disappointed that she had not won him as a Yule Ball date, but at least she would be able to attend. "I bid, and won V." She shrugged. "He is quite the gentleman, although I don't know his real name." That was a pity, and the thought of how she would know when and where to meet up with him was a worry. She hoped he wouldn't ditch her, since she was only a second year. "Did anyone win you?"

"Thank you again." Briony's cheeks flushed a bit as he complimented her. She enjoyed it immensely. "Were you a dementor or a death eater?" She asked curiously. It had been a bit frightening seeing all of the dark costumes in front of the room, but since no one else seemed to care she had put it in the back of her mind. "I must have missed that..."

Jeremy nodded his head and then listened to Briony tell him who she'd won. He didn't know who V was since part of the auction rules were that each brother would only know their letter and not anyone elses. And he didn't remember seeing her bid or win, so he was really no help on that. "At least he's nice. I bet you'll find out before the dance." When she asked if he'd been bid on, Jeremy nodded. "Yup. I'm going with Elspeth. Do you know her? She's in our house and year. " He was glad of that because if it had been an older person, he would have tried his best to find an invisibility cloak so he could hide. "We should all go together" he added as an afterthought.

"Dementor" he said easily and then laughed again, shaking his head. He couldn't believe she'd missed it. "Aw man. It was hilarious."

((I'm sorry. I've been a bit swamped.))

A pang of annoyance and a slight feeling of jealousy passed through the young girl as Jeremy mentioned that he would be going with Elspeth. "I know her. I just barely talk to her." It was true, they roomed together but they had yet to actually have a conversation. "I hope V doesn't ditch me. I am only a second year." It was a fear she had been thinking about since the ball. "Yes, a double date would be cool!"

((no problem...I've had other rps to keep me busy :p ))

Jeremy was surprised when Briony said she barely talked to Elspeth, but then realized that he was pretty much the same way. There were plenty of second years that he barely spoke to.

"He won't" Jeremy reassured Briony. He was sure that his brother wouldn't do something like that even though he wasn't exactly sure who it was. It wouldn't be right even if the guy was much older than Briony. He smiled when she said the double date idea was cool. He was glad because even though Elspeth was pretty ok, he would still feel comfortable knowing that someone else he knew was nearby. "Great...that's settled then."

"I think it would be less awkward if we were near each other to talk too if things get weird." Briony said, laughingly. It would probably get weird. They were not used to going on 'dates' and since they knew each other it would probably be a lot more fun. "You'll have to save me a dance..." She told him. "Maybe Elspeth and I will finally talk to each other."

Thinking about it, she had barely talked to anyone in her dorm. She had kept to herself mostly these past two years...perhaps it was time to reach out and make new friends.

Jeremy nodded his head. He was pretty sure that the whole evening would be pretty awkward. He'd never been on a date before and didn't even like any girls other than that one sixth year Slythein girl. "Sure" he said with a shrug. He wasn't sure he even could dance, but if he was going to make a fool of himself, Briony was the one he wanted to do it in front of. At least she wouldn't make fun of him. Not really anyway.

"She's pretty nice" he said easily, wondering if he would get along with Briony's date, whoever he was. "She talks a lot more than I do, so at least I don't have to worry about coming up with things' he said with another shrug.

"Now, I know I'll have fun." Briony assured him, feeling pleased that he wanted to be apart of a double date with her. She hoped he did live up on his promise to dance with her. It would a great night if he did.

"Well... do you like her?" She asked.

Jeremy nodded his head in agreement, a smile crossing his face. Now, he wasn't so nervous about the upcoming ball. It was even beginning to sound a bit fun to him. He shrugged at her question. "I guess...she seems ok" he said as if he hadn't thought about it much because he hadn't. He meant that he liked her as a friend because Jeremy was still at the age where he wasn't very interested in girls. He kind of thought some of them were pretty but he wasn't at the stage where he would dare act on it.

"Are you going home for the break?" he asked, thinking that if Briony was also staying at the castle than he probably wouldn't be so bored if he stayed too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back