I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues

Emily Hayes-Magonus

Wand
Straight 17 1/2 Inch Swishy Laurel Wand with Dragon Heartstring Core
[adminapproval=11329234] Emily wiped her nose with her sleeve as she looked at her brother. Things were certainly different between them. Nate still didn't seem to be over the fact that their parents had split, he hated their mother she knew and she was positive he wished she wasn't his sister. She never saw him anymore and she missed him. Despite everything, he was the person she wanted to talk to about everything that was happening. She needed her brother, her twin, she didn't need anyone else. Now their mother was getting remarried, Emily wished she could be happy for them, but she just wasn't. Everyone expected her to be, they asked for her opinion and the Raven's were all so nice to her, for the most part, but try as she might she just couldn't be happy that her mother was happy and her father was not. He might try to hide it, but she wasn't stupid, not like that. She could see the hurt and they didn't really speak much. She could tell that the divorce was hard on the both of them and she hated it. She wanted to be there for her parents, both of them. She wanted to be there for Ciro, she really liked Ciro and he was always getting her out of trouble, she loved Astronomy and actually understood it when he was teaching, but these days all she wanted to do was sit in her room and be alone. She persevered however, because her friends needed her. She needed her brother.

Emily stepped towards her brother and reached out to him, but stopped mid motion. "Please, Nate, I need to talk to you. To someone..." She wasn't sure why she was asking him for help, but he was all she had. They were close once, inseparable, she wanted to be like that again. "Why don't you love me, Nate?" She asked, sniffing slightly but not wanting her brother to see her cry. Just because there was things happening in their lives that were separate, did that really mean that they couldn't be close? Emily wanted to tell him about everything that was happening, about the things she was going through, stuff she couldn't tell anyone else. Logan was nearly killed, but he would probably know that. Was he being looked after? Did he need anything right now? Who could she help? Was he sleeping well? Was he eating? How were his scars? Should she go and make him something? Did he want anyone around right now? He was suffering and there was nothing she could do about it. She wanted to do everything she could, but it just wasn't enough. She looked up at her brother again, wanting to hug him, needing him to tell her that everything was fine. "Please just talk to me!"

Nathanial felt completely fine. He wasn't in any particular trouble, and so had no idea what Emily's problem was. His sister was prone to worry, and was beyond over-dramatic, and the Gryffindor just wasn't as tolerant as he used to be. Quite frankly, he was sick of having to deal with Emily and her issues, because she always seemed to have them. He didn't like having to talk to her at all hours of the day to calm her nerves, or hear her comment on her day-to-day life, or about their parents, or the Ravens, or pets, or school or her friends. He really wasn't that bothered with everything, he had things to do, and all Emily ever did was annoy him. He could talk to her sometimes, but generosity ran short within the Gryffindor, and sometimes, he just needed her to not bother him. This was one of those times.

He rolled her eyes at her dramatics. She was his sister, of course he loved her. "Emily, don't be stupid," he muttered, pinching the bridge of his nose. "I'm fine, why don't you go away and do something productive, or like, just stop bothering me? I'm fine. I don't need you to try and hold my hand all the time. Just leave me alone, for Merlin's sake." He threw his hands up in the air, and made a motion to shoo her. "Go, leave."​
<i></i>

Emily sniffed as her brother continued to be completely oblivious to her need for a hug and a decent conversation. He knew about Logan, he had to, they shared a dorm. Yet here he was like everything was all fine and dandy. She shifted her stance and bit her lip, looking to the ground as he called her stupid. She didn't think she was being stupid, in fact, Emily thought she was being perfectly legitimate in her feelings and as her brother she thought that Nate would respect that. "I'm not being stupid, I'm serious. You never talk to me and even when you do I know you don't want to. What am I supposed to feel?" She asked, rubbing her arm as a comfort to herself. She already had a headache, but that was pretty much perpetual these days. She was always so tired though and missed the Yuleball because she was in her room sleeping. She'd really wanted to go because she'd been feeling so run down lately, but unfortunately she'd missed her chance. She hoped everyone had a good time. She had thought about asking her brother, but he wasn't being particularly receptive to her today. Not that she wasn't used to this behaviour already.

Nate didn't seem to understand that she wasn't trying to look out for him, she wanted him to look out for her. She saw Ciro's brother Arturo around more often than she saw her own twin and after the incident with Scarlet earlier in the semester, well, it kind of resolved her issue. She was going through some things and she wanted her brother to be there for her, to support her as a brother was supposed to, but he was too caught up in his own selfishness that he didn't see that. Emily forgave him though, because she never saw him as selfish, only as misguided. She reached out for her brother, but he threw his hands into the air and shooed her. Emily just wanted a hug, something to help her feel better. "I don't want to get in the way, Nate. Really, I just... want a hug, can't we just sit and talk? Remember like how we used to when mum would work and we'd stay behind." She said, tugging on his robes a little.

Nathanial rolled his eyes. He was sure he had about a million other more important things to do right now than stand here and be told that he wasn't talking enough. He talked about as much as he wanted to, and if that wasn't enough in her eyes, well so be it. The Gryffindor wasn't just going to start talking about his day or his 'feelings' because Emily said to. "Emily, honestly, I don't care about how you feel," he replied stubbornly, massaging his fingers against his forehead in frustration. "I don't talk when I've got nothing to say, and if you can't accept that not everyone on this planet is a chatterbox like yourself, then maybe you are the one with the problem, not me." He didn't enjoy being mean to his sister, he did love her, but she gave no space, and never took no for an answer. She was more trouble than what she was worth, really. He couldn't just go about making problems to tell her about now could he.

The Gryffindor tugged his robes out of his sister's hands - one of the most annoying things she would often do was pull on him. "Emily - bloody Hell - if you want a hug I'll give you a hug, but we've got nothing to talk about." He gave her a quick, but rather stiff and uninviting hug, before pulling away just as fast. "I have stuff to do, Emily, you always come around at inopportune times. Stop living in the past, and grow up a little. Take care of yourself, I'm going inside."​

Emily didn't really know how she was supposed to feel about the fact that her brother wanted nothing to do with her. She wasn't very good with conflict after all and that often lead to tension with others, but she had always though that Nate would have her back and though he was telling her that he loved her she really wasn't sure just how much of it she believed. He didn't care how she felt, he admitted it to her of his own accord - how was she to believe anything her brother said to her? Nate always had a vicious streak but it used to be so rarely aimed at her. Now she seemed to see it every time she saw him and - frankly - she didn't care for it. "You're just trying to make me the bad guy here. It's not my fault!" She cried, shaking her head. She wasn't trying to force him to talk, but he wouldn't listen to her either. She would be completely satisfied if he would just listen to her, but it was clear that he was just not willing to do that. "You don't even listen to me!" She told him, rubbing her tearing eyes for what felt like the hundredth time. "You never have anything to say to me and you mostly pretend I'm not here!" She wanted to be with her brother, not against him.

Emily fell slightly forward when Nate tugged his robes out of her hands, none too gently. He gave her the most awkward hug she'd ever received - even Logan gave her better hugs - before telling her that he was leaving. She stared after him as he left and fell against the wall next to the portrait. She wondered briefly if Logan was inside, before shaking her head and sliding down the wall with her head against her knees. She wished that Nate would just talk to her. He didn't even need to say anything really, just be willing to listen to her. She would always drop anything she was doing to support him and she just wished that he would at least try to show her that same support. She sniffed and brought her arms up around her knees. Maybe she would just sit here for a little while and cry it out. She didn't want to go back to her dorm like this and there really wasn't anyone in the corridors right now. It should be fine.

- Fin -​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back