I Don't Understand Everything!

Levy Cheney

OOC First Name
Marga
Wand
Straight 12 Inch Sturdy Elm Wand with Meteorite Dust Core
Normally, Levy would be spending her whole day in the library would a book in hand that she would be trying to understand until she gets tired of it. But today, was different. The last time, she had asked the Herbology professor about a lot of things about the said subject, though today, it wasn't a Herbology book she had in hand. It was a Defense Against the Dark Arts book. The leather binding it had seemed to be interesting and it sparked her attention that she had decided that this was going to be the book she'll be spending time with for the whole day. It was only approaching ten in the morning and she couldn't wait to get started with her reading and so she grabbed the book and settled herself on one of the many tables that the library had. Not long after she had begun her reading though, she had started to fidget and squirm in her seat. A habit she had gotten whenever she wouldn't understand what she was reading. The book was filled with stuff about jinxes and hexes and curses, that she couldn't quite understand. It said nothing about the differences of jinxes and hexes, only which spells were jinxes and which were hexes. After a mere fifteen minutes of trying to understand stuff, she quickly stood and asked the librarian if she could borrow the book.

When she was given permission, Levy started to run downstairs. She hadn't had the chance to explore the whole castle yet, but she knew where all her classrooms were and also the professors' offices and she was headed for Professor Styx's office. She had a lot of questions and she wanted them answered because the book she held was making her head spin and it was not in her knowledge that the book was too advanced for a first year like her who knew next to nothing about the Dark Arts. It was probably a book for the fourth or fifth years after all. It didn't take long for her to reach the first floor and was bolting for the professor's office. She knew nothing about the professor, but she did know that he was Defense Against the Dark Arts professor, so it was no question that the man can help him. Finally, the girl reached the professor's office and burst the door open, knocking was in the back of her mind as she was more worried that she couldn't understand the book she had been reading. "Professor, help me!" the small girl said, a distressed look on her face before she took a good look at the man. She was fairly small compared to him with her height only barely 4 feet and an inch, but that was in the least of her worries. She held out the rather large and a bit heavy book in front of her and showed it to the big man. "I don't understand everything!"

Professor Styx remained behind his desk as he got ready for the school year that was coming up. Everything had to be in perfect order before his classes began within the next few days. What he was not counting on was someone bursting through his office, without knocking. 'I thought I locked the damn door,' thought Professor Styx as he narrowed his cold, black eyes upon the student that burst in. He did not recognize her as a Slytherin at all. But, she was definitely a first year. She looked distressed and needed help, but it was a shame that Professor Styx couldn't care less before school even started. The fact that she had a large book, and showed it to him, he knew why she was in here, even as she said that she did not understand everything. He opened the book with one hand, before he shut it with another wave. "You come barging into my office, hand me a book that is far too advanced for your little mind, and expect me to explain this to you? You don't even know about jinxes and hexes yet. You are wasting your time. You should go." Professor Styx did not look pleased as is, and someone barged into his office while he was busy with work.

Levy was completely oblivious to the cold stare of the man, in fact, she was paid no attention to anything besides the fact that she wanted to convince this large man to help her in understanding this book. Perhaps if she understood the most basic stuff then she'd be able to leave him alone and study alone like she always preferred. "Yes!" she exclaimed gleefully. Of course she expected him to help her. Why would she even be in his office in the first place. Besides, there was no other Defense Against the Dark Arts professor with the castle and so she was fairly sure that he would be the most capable in helping her out. The Ravenclaw couldn't help but pout though when he said that she had a little mind. Well, she was little but Mister Sorting Hat told her that she should believe that she was smart and she was pretty sure that having a little mind was not the definition of smart. "The other Mister said I'm smart. But, I just don't understand them alone," the young girl complained as she walked up to the professor's big desk and looked at the book she showed him.

"I know jinxes and hexes. They're kinds of spells aren't they?" Levy claimed before adding, "I just don't know the difference." It was true. She had read about jinxes and hexes before but the book hadn't exactly explained them. All she knew was that they were kinds of spells but their difference was something unknown to her. As she tried to search her mind for what else she knew about jinxes and hexes, the big man continued to speak and the girl gasped. "But Professor! Studying is NOT a waste of time," Levy said wide-eyed and surprised. How could he say that she was wasting her time? She only wanted to learn and she was curious. "Grandma told me that and she said that teachers help students that don't understand stuff in books. And she told me they're sweet and cool too," the little girl said as she explained the whole thing to the professor out of nowhere. She was being her talkative self again and completely oblivious to how unpleased the man currently is. "You're cool... Probably... But I don't really know about sweet. You're grumpy," she said with a shrug before she attempted to lean on the professor's desk and open the book to the first page about jinxes and hexes and pointed to the part she barely understood. "But anyway, what's the most basic difference about jinxes and hexes?" she asked curiously and flashing a carefree smile at Professor Styx.

This first year was out of her mind if she thought that he was going to explain difficult material such as this book to her. She needed to learn what she had to when it came down to classes. That was it. Anything more, and Professor Styx would just be too irritated to deal with students that thought that they knew it all because they were literate. At least they were that. "Barging into my office, and ordering me to explain this material to you is definitely not a smart action." His voice slashed through the air like daggers, his tone as cold as ice. Shaking his head, he sighed and said, "Yes, they are spells. Congratulations on that little bit of knowledge, but you won't learn the difference until you are older." Professor Styx started to tap the desk silently with his fingers, as a way to curve his irritation off to the slightest. He could send her to the Head of House for being a know-it-all, but he felt that Professor Spenser would not deal with that accordingly. "Studying isn't a waste of time. Trying to understand material beyond your years without going through the filler is. Your grandmother sounds senile, and I care nothing about what she thinks, so mentioning her is a waste of breath. Learn to control what comes out of your mouth as most of the information is irrelevant."

She called him grumpy. Really, how did she guess. Professor Styx stopped tapping his fingers before he snapped them and the book hovered, and sent itself back to the library where it belonged. "Jinxes and hexes are something you will learn in your upcoming year. Continue to aggravate me, and I will deduct house points. Now, if you had questions over the first year curriculum when you are actually taking the class, then I can help. Beforehand, no." His tone was stern as ever, and prayed that she would take the hint before he really would deduct house points from her.

Levy had just wanted to understand the book she was reading really. Well, she could understand the words but most of what it meant were unbeknownst to her. But sadly, Professor Styx was much too grumpy to help her and it seemed as if he was bitter about something too. Really, the Defense Against the Dark Arts professor should be less grumpy and more smiles, then maybe people wouldn't be afraid of asking him stuff. "But Grandma said that it is wise to ask for help if I don't understand something and you're the only Defense Against the Dark Arts professor," the Ravenclaw pouted as the professor told her that what she did wasn't smart. Alright she had to admit that maybe she should have knocked first before she entered the professor's office though her face lit up into a bright smile when the professor congratulated her, though completely oblivious to its sarcastic nature. "I'm sorry for barging in and asking for help. But, thank you!" she said gleefully. Then his next words made her sad again. It wasn't that much of a waste of time, besides, learning something new and learning something early on was pretty useful in her opinion. And she was always used to reading materials well, beyond her age "Whyyyyy? Can't you at least give me a little hint, pleeeeeaaaaase? Or can you recommend a book then that I should read before this one, pleeeeeeaaaaaase?" she asked with a big smile hoping that he would give her at least one material she could read to understand the book she was currently holding.

Levy's jaw dropped at Professor Styx's accusation at her grandmother. And so, she crossed her arms in front of her a bit defiantly before she proceeded to speak, "Grandma is not senile, Professor. Though she is a little old, but you are too, right?" she asked a bit too curiously before suddenly the book floated and flied away to who knows where. She was almost followed it. Almost. But decided that she would probably learn more from Professor Styx than the book itself. "Awwwh.. Where'd you put the book, Professor? And why are you going to deduct house points?" the girl asked whilst confused. She didn't do anything wrong right? She was just asking questions, plain and simple. "What's the first year curriculum about Professor?" Levy said tilting her head. Well he did tell her that it would be better should she study the curriculum for first years and though she had almost finished reading the books given to them, she couldn't bother to know which of those topics she was studying in her first year. "Okay, then I'll ask you another question!" the younger piped up with a smile as she placed a pointer on her chin, as if deciding on what to ask him. "Are you a daddy here too? We have one and he's teaching History! Then my brother in Gryffindor said that what they have is a girl, so it must be their Mummy right?" the girl said as her train of thoughts went on and so did her continuous words. "And then the Hufflepuffs have a nice mummy. But I don't know the one for Slytherin and that's where my sister is. She looks exactly like me! So are you the Slytherins' daddy?" she asked quite cheerfully her hands now clasped behind her as she waited for his answer.

Professor Styx rolled his eyes once more and thought that the girl was testing his patience. He had little of it as is. And this girl was taking away every single inch of it. The professor narrowed his onyx eyes and he warned, "I might be the only Defence Against the Dark Arts professor, but I am certainly not answering any questions until you are actually in my class, and that is next semester. You can wait." Professor Styx was stern in what he believed, and that was not moving from the subject at all. He hated someone who wanted to know everything. And, it seemed like she really wanted to know absolutely everything. "Because as I am the professor, and not you, I decide on how things go. You will learn the course material with the others." He was sounding like a broken record, and he was getting sick of it. Then again, he was not a fan of students like this. How could Professor Spenser stand some of his students? Perhaps he was just like they were when he was younger. Oh, that would have been a nightmare.

One could almost see the vein in his forehead pulse as he folded his hands together and placed his elbows onto the desk. His eyes closed as he managed to maintain his anger toward the young girl. All he had to remember was that she was an ignorant child. He ignored that comment, for her own sake. "I am about to deduct fifteen house points from Ravenclaw for you continuously disobeying my orders to leave matters alone, and to leave my office." He purposely avoided her question on where he sent the book too. Professor Styx finally slammed his hands onto the desk, his mannerism changing from cold and calm to something a little more frightening as his patience wore off. "Enough with the questions. Leave my office or else I will take you to your Head of House after you lose house points for your house. I have no time to answer stupid questions, as I have to prepare for the year ahead!" The door magically opened, and with his left hand, gestured her to leave immediately. His threat would soon become a promise if she didn't leave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back