Homefront Wonder

Makenna Morgan

Makenna didn't like spending too much time in the Slytherin common room. People just seemed to crowd and like it was obviously known this young girl hated crowds. The only good thing about the crowds was that she saw the gender ratio. There were so much more girls at this school than boys which was great for Makenna. Less people to literally avoid as they walked by. Even though Makenna wasn't quite comfortable around the girls either. People in general just didn't help.

Walking in the darkness, Makenna sighed at the lonliness that she enjoyed so much, no crowds, no people, no worries. The freedom of the dungeons seemed to be a feeling that Makenna never wanted to disappear. You will have to go home soon enough and you will no longer be free. Never will you be completely free. Don't get used to it. Never get used to it The voice in Makenna's head told her. This small girl letting out another sigh as she realized the truth in the words of her own mind.

Slumping against the wall, Makenna took a seat crossing her arms across her stomach as she closed her eyes. The silence was just what this girl needed but she wondered how much longer it would last.

Taylor explored the dungeons. She had decided to start here and work her way up the castle, it seemed like a good idea. Looking down, the brunette noticed someone sitting, it was a familiar girl. "Makenna!" Taylor grinned, it had been ages since she had seen her reserved friend. "You mind if I join you?"

Makenna's eyes shot open when she heard a familiar voice. Her eyes looked around the dark dungeons finding their way to the figure that was Taylor. "Hello" Makenna said her voice hinting on a tad surprise. This young slytherin had heard not many people came down to the dungeons which for her was a thing she liked. Not that she wasn't happy to see her friend. The term odd to think about. It was just Makenna was never really happy in the company of many. Hopefully the coming of Taylor would not lead the coming of many more.

"Sure you can join me" Makenna said her words coming out her volume soft yet almost echoing in this dungeons area that she almost found comforting. "it's been awhile." The Slytherin girl said trying to think about the common points of a conversation to help her continue speaking and not leaving a lingering silence. "What brings you" She paused the words escaping her for a moment. Opening her mouth again she began "What brings you to the dungeons?" she asked remembering well that Taylor was not sorted into the house of Slytherin, almost sadly Makenna did remember that.

Taylor grinned and sat beside Makenna, she was glad to see that the girl was louder than she normally was. She nodded her head, thinking of how much had happened since she last saw her. "That it has."

"Oh, I was exploring the castle, thought I might aswell start at the bottom." She smiled at Makenna. "Why are you down here?" Taylor reasoned there was a good chance that she had been sorted into Slytherin but she had missed her sorting so Taylor couldn't be sure.

Makenna looked at Taylor's smile somehow jealous of it though at the same time she was appreciative. So many people around this school smiled even those slytherins in the common room smiled all the time. It was something that Makenna couldn't even dream about doing. You should be happy to smile was her logic. Was Makenna happy? Here at this school it was possible, back home not a chance. At the moment Makenna was blank, numb.

This young slytherin listened as Taylor said she was exploring. Makenna really hadn't been exploring yet. She hadn't found the need to even with her intense amount of curiosity. Somewhat her curiousity had died down, if only for a short while. Like all good things, they will occur again. Her nature would once more return as if it had never been gone in the first place.

"I just wanted to escape the common room for a bit. Get some alone time. But I didn't want to walk too far so I though right outside the room would make sense" Makenna said her voice echoing only due to the sound of the dungeons. However the loudness that was an illusion was starting to make the self consious Makenna worry more, her voice soon took a quiter tone.

Taylor nodded, she had been right, Makenna made Slytherin. "You enjoying Slytherin life?" She reasoned that just because they were in rival houses, it didn't mean they couldn't be friends, right?

"We can still be friends right? Even though we're in apposing houses?" Taylor hoped she said yes, even thought she didn't know the girl well, Taylor was quite fond of Makenna. There was just something about the girl that intreged her, made her wonder why she was so quiet, why she was so sad. Taylor would be dissapointed if Makenna said no.

Makenna really didn't know how to answer the simple question thrown in her direction. Was she enjoying the life as a newly sorted Slytherin? Nothing seemed to be wrong with it yet. Beside the encounter in the common room with the girl who seemed to need to make Makenna fit into the group without staying in the side lines safe and sound. Though Makenna got through that of coarse with no need to raise her voice. Other than that Slytherin life seemed like any life away from home, the slight freedom was recieved that Makenna had only years before dreamed of.

"Slytherin seems nice. I don't see why they get such a bad reputation" Makenna said truthfully. Why did Slytherins seem to get such an awful reputation of mean people? So far everyone seemed decent enough. Most of the slytherins even smiled. Smile. They even smile The voice in Makenna's head repeated. Shaking her head slightly she was brought back into the conversation. "How is your house?" she asked quietly not exactly knowing which house Taylor was sorted into.

Though as Taylor asked if they could still be friends, Makenna's mind ran wild. Opposing houses. Opposing house to Slytherin. Was that Hufflepuff or Gryfrfindor. her mind tried to figure out. Yet as Makenna looked over at Taylor she saw a Gryffindor and not a hufflepuff. Gryffindor Makenna thought reasoning that Taylor must have been sorted into Gryffindor.

Answer the question the voice reminded Makenna. "Oh yeah I don't see why not." She said simply the term friends making her squirm slightly inside. Friends was such a term that Makenna had never used before she met Taylor. It was still rather foreign for this young girl.

"I think it's because you get those few over the top ones who are nasty and horrible to everyone and people assume the whole house is like it." Taylor had thought into it alot, reasoning that the Slytherins she had met couldn't be the only type of Slytherin, there had to be at least one nice one. Makenna getting into Slytherin and still willing to be friends with her was a sign that her ideas were true.

"Gryffindor's ok. There are lots of people and, most of the time, they're all happy. It's really annoying if you want to sit on your own and be sad." Taylor hadn't been sad yet but she had also not had any alone time yet, it bugged her slightly. There was something about the people in her house that they caoluldn't let people alone or something.

"It's mostly nice though." Taylor said, putting the grin back on her face as it had changed to a frown as she had been thinking.

Makenna nodded as Taylor gave her reasoning as to why the house of Slytherin was said to be for those nasty and mean. Really that wouldn't make sense if that was true. Makenna was neither of those things on a daily basis. Maybe she could be nasty and/or mean if something really pushed her over the edge and of coarse if she was out of her shell enough to say anything. At this time and as long as Makenna could think into the future, she doubted that could ever ever happen. Thus she proclaimed mentally that the type of Slytherins that people talked about were merely a few either that or Makenna was wrongfully sorted.

This young Slytherin listened as Taylor talked about Gryffindor. Her one comment really stuck with Makenna though. It's really annoying if you want to sit on your own and be sad The words of the young Taylor swirled through Makenna's mind. Why would Taylor ever be sad? Makenna couldn't answer this question and even with the slighty curious nature coming up, she refused to ask. Many people were sad for many reasons. At least that was what books and movies taught this eleven year old. So far the movies and books were helping her socialize so far. Maybe they were right all the time. In this case, they were.

Makenna's gaze turned to look around the dark dungeons. This was going to be one of her favorite spots, Makenna can already realize that. "I hear that Gryffindor and Slytherin have some classes together" Makenna said for some reason not wanting the silence to form in this conversation. Usually she would enjoy the silence, yet this time was different unknowingly to Makenna. "I wonder why they put it like that though. Ravenclaw and Slytherin seem to be a better match. No offense though" Makenna said her tone and volume the same throughout her speech, quiet and slightly monotonous.

Taylor thought about the statement. It was right, Ravenclaw and Slytherin would work better together while putting Gryffindor with Slytherin might cause fights. "I guess it's something to help with house unity or something like that. If all the houses work together then there might be a chance of them getting along. I could be completely wrong of course but it kind of makes sense." Taylor shrugged slightly, indicationg she wasn't sure about her answer.

Once again Makenna listened to Taylor's reasoning. Two reasonings. Am I asking too many questions Makenna wondered not quite sure how much she was supossed to talk or not supposed to talk or whatever. Pushing herself against the wall a little more just adding a little bit of pressure on her back, Makenna sat there wondering what to say or what to do.

This young girl opened her mouth to speak for a moment yet no words managed to drift out. Her mouth closed once realizing this, and the silence once more overtook her. "Have you" Makenna began realizing that this was a question. You are such a failure The voice in Makenna's mind yelled at her.

You already screwed it up. Just say the question The voice commanded. "Have you met many people yet. Like friend wise?" She asked not knowing if the question sounded good in her mind for she had asked it already or if her mind actually came up with reasonable questions at times.

Taylor looked curiously at Makenna as she pushed herself against the wall. She decided not to try and figure things out. "Well there's Alfie, who you know, and Jessi, his cousin, and Immy and Monty, who are Gryffindors with me, and Lisa who helped me when one of the nastier Slytherins was mean to me, and a small girl called Judy who gets bullied alot. And you of course." She smiled encouragingly.

"What about you, have you met anyone you like yet?" Taylor worded it specifically so it would ask who she liked not if she had friends, Makenna appeared to be the type of person that would view people more as aquantances than friends.

This young girl's brown eyes stayed focused ahead of her into the darkness before her as the voice of Taylor continued to speak. Questions came to mind right away. This young girl wanted to know so much like how Alfie was doing. Wasn't Jessi the one Taylor liked? Which Slytherin was mean to Taylor and for what reason? And why did the small Judy girl get bullied? All these thoughts and questions managed to filter out immediately in her mind finding the one that she was most curious about. "Isn't Jessi the one you like?" Makenna asked not knowing that usually in social conversations that was not a question randomly thrown out.

As she awaited an answer from Taylor she once again racked her mind for the names the few she had come acrossed. "I've met a few people. I don't remember too many names. A few slytherins" Makenna said softly wishing she had names to give. "I mean we haven't been here too long, I have time" She muttered "I've only held a full conversation with you and Alfie" Makenna said having that be a great accomplishment in her eyes. Never had she even thought of having a conversation until she met the few that would stand and listen to her.

Taylor nodded at Makenna's question. "Yeah." Her voice wasn't dreamy when she spoke like it had been when they had mentioned him in their last conversation. The brunette ignored how weird it sounded having her just blurt out a question like that, it seemed to be normal for this girl so Taylor would accept it and not comment.

Taylor looked into the darkness of the dungeons as Makenna spoke. An idea struck her but she hesitated to say it, not knowing if it would be accepted. She decided to put it out there and spoke cautionly. "How about you come and hang out with us, just a couple of people or even just Me, Alfie, and you?" Taylor thought it would be good for her but wasn't sure if Makenna would like the idea. "We could even hang out down here if you want or where ever you like."

Makenna could not completely read Taylor's voice as she answered the question about Jessi. It wasn't as happy as before when the name was mentioned. Did something happen or nothing at all? Something good or something bad? Looking over at Taylor for a moment, before the brown eyed girls gaze turned over towards the darkness.

The next comment surprised Makenna but she didn't show it in her eyes nor did she look over at Taylor. She actually wants to hang out with me The voice in her mind said curiously wondering why Taylor was volunteering such a thing. Pity its pity The voice stated making it an understanding concept to Makenna now.

Finally she looked over at Taylor. "I'd like that" She said in her normal voice. "I mean if you want to and everyone else" Makenna muttered slightly "It doesn't have to be down here I mean...I don't care where" She finished hoping she wasn't sounding like a complete fool. Even though Makenna couldn't admit it to herself or even aloud she was slightly excited to possibly have a time to hang out with others.

Taylor clapped her hands with joy at Malenna's answer. "Yay, I was worried you wouldn't want to. Maybe out by the lake? It's nice out there and quiet when there isn't loads of people around." She started to plan it, thinking about times, places, even people. "Do you just want me and Alf then, or do you mind other people being there too?"

Though Makenna was surprised that Taylor offered to hang out in the first place, this young girl was even more so when Taylor seemed excited about it. Listening to Taylor speak, Makenna nodded every once and awhile. "I've never been to the lake" Makenna said softly feeling like she was more trapped inside of her own space than ever. Why hadn't see explored her surroundings before this? Because that wasn't something Makenna. The chance of going outside made a small jump of excitement in this young girl.

The question next asked ran through Makenna's head. You don't like big crowds. Big crowds cause issues. One voice in Makenna's head said. But you are already breaking the rule and socializing so just don't get too close to anyone you should survive. You've been through worse than a simple gathering of people that will soon forget you are there with them The second voice rang. Both voices seemed to be right in one way or another. Yet the choice of which one to listen to was what made this young Slytherin question. "I don't like huge crowds" Makenna said finally her eyes being drawn to Taylor yet she was looking right passed her not exactly making eye contact. "But I wouldn't mind a few more people" She said finally

After a short while, Makenna opened her mouth once more. "It should be fun though" She said finally.

Taylor thought over her answer. Makenna didn't like huge crowds but did want more people, the trouble was who? Obviously she wouldn't ask Ellie, that would just end in catastrophe. Maybe the calmest of her friends; Alfie, Jessi, maybe Lisa and Immy. "How about Mm, you and Alfie possibly his cousin Jessi and maybe a girl called Lisa, she's nice and calm as long as you don't press her buttons which I'm sure you won't, and Maybe Immy, She's nice. Is that okay or too many?" Her voice was nice, Taylor didn't want Makenna to feel pressured into meeting everyone or to get freaked out. The look on her face gave away that Makenna wasn't sure about it.

The names that Taylor spoke ran through the mind of Makenna, her thoughts surrounding each one of them. Only Taylor and Alfie she knew. The other names seemed calm enough. Though names were never a good way of determining a person. Take Makenna's name, did it seem fitting at all? No, this small Slytherin didn't think so at all.

"That's not too many" This young girl said silently. I'll be fine Makenna thought even if the other voices that seemed to fill her mind doubted this. Was she branching out from what her inner thoughts wanted to make her believe? No that couldn't be possible.

Her thoughts drifted to the idea of what she was going to do with the possibility of going to a lake to hang out with a group of friends. How ridiculous was it that she had never done anything like that before? For this young girl it was scary to think she was going to socialize. Break another one of her father's rules. If only he knew. The thought made a shiver run through her spine once more. "When are we planning this?" She asked softly.

Taylor smiled and thought. Maybe a weekend would be better, It would give them more time in the day to talk and socialize.

"How about sunday?" Sunday would give her time to find everyone and ask them if they can turn up.

Taylor thought that this would be good for her. If she liked these people then maybe they would hang out more, then she might be comfertable inviting other people aswell and, eventually, she might be able to handle meeting someone like Ellie. Hopefully.

Makenna noted Taylor's smile. How her friend's smile always seemed to make her wonder yet a tinge of happiness always came. Not that this young Slytherin knew much of such an emotion. Looking over at Taylor, Makenna nodded. "Sunday will work" She said softly already wondering how she was supposed to act around more than just one simple person.

Carefully adjusting her sitting position, Makenna looked out towards the dungeons once more. How long had they been sitting there? How long had she actually held a whole conversation? Though this questions weren't the only ones that ran through this young girl's mind. "The others" She began looking over at Taylor. "the ones going to the lake" She explained "Won't mind me coming along will they?" She asked simply knowing that she wasn't the most exciting nor fun person in the world, or at least that was what Makenna grew up being told. It only had to be true.

"Yay." Taylor clapped. She began thinking of arrangments for it, whether Makenna should turn up first or if they should be there to meet her.

As she was thinking, Makenna's voice penetrated her thoughts. She giggled slightly, just at the thought of anyone of her friends disliking the girl in front of her. "Of course they won't mind. I'm sure they'll love you, they're all as nice as me and Alfie."

Makenna's ears filled with the small clap that Taylor had made as the sound echoed in the dugeons and in this young girl's ears. Clapping was usually a sign of happiness. In the movies that Makenna had watched the characters clapped when a happy event took place such as a graduation, or a speech or something of that sort. Never had Makenna heard of clapping over a day at the lake. How different real life was.

Taken back slightly by the sound of Taylor's laughter, Makenna looked over a hint of confusion going through her ears for just a moment. Soon it faded by the statement that Taylor said answering one of the questions that Makenna had. "If they are nice" Makenna said quietly not able to picture more people as nice as both Taylor and Alfie. Really though Makenna couldn't picture nice people at all before she met those two. Taylor certainly seemed to be one that changed opinions.

Say something The voice in this young girl's mind shouted. "Everything should be good. Do you need help with planning or mailing letters or." Makenna stopped not knowing if she would be much help or even if people in the wizarding world mailed letters.

Taylor smiled. "They are nice, I wouldn't be friends with them if they weren't." She knew Makenna had her doubts about it but Taylor tried her hardest to get rid of them.

Taylor nodded. "If you want to help you can." She tried to think of something that Makenna could help with. Alfie! She was sure Alfie would be shocked to hear from Makenna.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back