Sexual Orientation
Heterosexual
Wand
Curly 10 Inch Flexible Laurel Wand with Unicorn Hair Core
HOGWARTS MONTHLY: Y42 SEMESTER 2 ISSUE

PBy0.gif

Welcome Back!
By: Aine Thompson

Hello everyone and welcome back for semester two! While the grounds may seem a little quiet as the fifth and seventh years prepare for their OWLs and NEWTs, there has still been a lot happening in and around the school. Firstly, we welcomed back Professor Sarah Harrington for Astronomy after she took some well deserved time off. We’d like to thank Professor Adorah Zumwalt and Professor Norton Gillespie for substituting through semester 1, and perhaps we’ll see them around the school again sometime.

As usual, the second years were given a taste of what elective subjects they could take on with the professors on hand to give information (and snack-based bribery) to encourage the students to enrol for third year elective classes. There’s also been a lot going on with Quidditch and the duelling tournament, and plenty of club events to keep everyone busy in between exam study (or perhaps exam procrastination). Of course, the Hogwarts Monthly has been busy keeping up to date with it all to bring you all the excitement and entertainment from this semester. We hope you enjoy it, and wish everyone best of luck with exams!​
Valentine’s Dance
3D-heart-twirl.gif
By: Estella Fuentes
If there is one event at Hogwarts that never disappoints, it is definitely the Valentine’s Dance. It is the highlight of the second semester. An event that you’d be out of your mind to miss. And the best part is that you don’t even need a date to participate - you simply need to show up and party.

This year the Great Hall was set up with the usual show. Light pastel colours surrounded everyone, and a tonne of pastel pink roses were on display pretty much everywhere you looked. It gave it a gentle and welcoming feel that you couldn’t pass by. One thing I particularly favoured, and I continue to favour every year, is the fountain of drinks, in such a wide variety of fruit flavours. With all of the snacks on display as well, there was no way you’d be leaving on an empty stomach.

My favourite part to talk about however are the outfits. Many people were getting into the spirit of things with red and pink dresses, and dresses with flowers and roses on them too. But like every year, some people didn’t understand how to dress formally. If there is one thing I don’t think of when I think of formal, it is denim jackets, however I saw a few of them this year compared to previous. At least I can tell the truth when I say the majority of people looked quite nice this year, and I am overall happy with how everything turned out.

With the conclusion of the Valentine’s Dance and the last article for it that I would write, I hope that each Valentine’s Dance gets better and the outfits continue to stand out. Thank you to the professors that put together this event, and particularly the Headmaster for decorating the hall so wonderfully this year, and every other year as well. Your efforts really do not go unnoticed by me.
Dueling Tournament
By: Rhys Garner

A highlight of the second semester at Hogwarts is always going to be the annual Duelling Tournament, a competition that allows students to get a chance to flex their skills and prove themselves as strong spell casters. And this year was no different than any other, with 25 students signing themselves up over six different year groups. And, as usual, it was the Gryffindors and Slytherins making up most of the pack. With only 3 Ravenclaws and one single Hufflepuff facing off with 9 Gryffindors and 12 Slytherins.

The first round was all excitement and already saw the crowning of the Third Year champion when Aurora Archer ended up beating last year's finalist Aine Thompson. But if you wanted all the action, you needed to look no further than the Seventh Years. Previous champion Harper Alston was back with a bang, facing off against Head Boy Ares Kuya-Tine with some rather creative spellwork which included conjuring a large chair as a shield and also as a weapon.

The second round was where we saw more champions crowned. With Yuelia Rossingol beating Mischa Falter-Butera, taking the crown for the Second Years and Jingyi Huang taking on Genevieve Fuentes to win for the Fourth Years. And in the Sixth Year division, we once again saw a familiar face taking the top spot when SDA Co-President Indira Khatri ended up winning her duel against Branson Archer.

We only saw two duels in the final round. The Fifth Years saw Celia Vuong rather tidily winning her duel against Valeria Iglesias. But all the action was once again in the Seventh Year duel between Flynn North and Harper Alston. I don't think I am alone in saying I don't think I have ever seen a more explosive duel in all my life. By the end of it, there was barely any of the platform standing. We also caught sight of a falcon when Harper unexpectedly flaunted her animagus ability to get out of danger. It was hard fought on both sides, but by the end of the Flynn North finally re-took his title and cemented his fourth win in the tournament.

The Monthly would like to send a huge congratulations to all the Champions and also give a big thank you to the SDA for organizing the event, and also Professors Aoki, Dubois and Castillo for overseeing the duels.
Club Events
By: Charlie Helkovaara
Folks, we need to talk about Quidditch…

For many students, the highlight of their semester is their club meeting. Though some may argue that the extracurricular activities offered aren’t diverse or varied enough, there are many that love spending time at our currently mostly Hufflepuff run school clubs.

If you were in the brotherhood, you would have run off a lot of extra energy with the brotherhoods sports day. Leader Jordan Harris paired up the club members and took them out to the grounds for some good old fashioned boyish fun. Football, races, tag. And after burning off all the built up energy from the semester, the group crashed at the lake with blankets and snacks to chill out and relax with the rest of the brotherhood.

Or perhaps you were in the Heta Omega sisterhood, where they had a good old fashioned movie night. With a bead voting system and lots of pillows and snacks, the girls of Heta surely had a comfy movie night that was incredibly chill and relaxed. The leader, Ana Sofia Burleigh surely had the best idea for getting away from the stress of exams.

There was also the joint event for the Creative Arts Club and the Wild Patch, a fun twist with a lot of effort. They’ve started up their own food garden, with fruits and vegetables, and eventually they’ll reconvene and use the fruits of their labors to make a meal. It’s a practical and inventive twist from CAC leaders Niamh “Sky” Eriksen and Eugene Nestor, and Wild Patch leader Rosemarie Chatwin.

The SDA (Student Defense Association) held the tournaments, with Gryffindor and Slytherin dominating the championship, reflecting club leaders Gryffindor Flynn North and Slytherin Indira Khatri.

So no matter what your interests are, if you haven’t joined one of these clubs, this is the time to join one of our colourful clubs and make some friends.
Specifically, we need to talk about the issue of piling all the students into the stands for less than 30 seconds of gametime. And the logistical nightmare of getting an international team over here for that same amount of time.

But before we get to that, Ravenclaw played Slytherin in a tense battle for the Quidditch Cup. After both teams had made it to the season final from all too quick matches, it was refreshing to actually see some gameplay take place. With Hufflepuff and Gryffindor having had a thrilling battle for honour before the break, eyes were once again on the beaters and seekers, perhaps wondering if this game would be as bloody. Indeed, Slytherin’s Celia Vuong made short work of Ravenclaw’s seeker, Hamish Reid, eliminating him from the game in short order.

(As a side note, have there been any studies on concussions arising from bludger accidents? It feels like something to keep in consideration.)

Ravenclaw’s beaters were unable to respond in kind, however they were at least able to keep the substitute seeker, Sefina Drage, safe from befalling the same fate. Despite a goal from Xiuying Huang for Ravenclaw, Slytherin’s Ivelisse Burleigh caught the snitch soon after Ravenclaw’s substitution securing them another Quidditch Cup victory.

And then, dear friends, there was the Ilvermony game.

If you missed it, don’t worry - I think most of the players did, too. Seconds after the game commenced Ilvermony’s seeker caught the snitch, ending the game before it even began.

Congratulations are in order for Ilvermony, of course, but it begs the question of is it worth the logistical hassle to get everyone into the stands if the games are going to end this quickly? Is there a way to make Quidditch exciting again, to not have people feel as though they’ve wasted their time going to the pitch? Should we start having double-feature games? Opening the pitch to amateur play and both flying and ground based exercise? Get some muggle sports going? And how do the players feel about all of this? Questions with no simple answers, I’m sure.

Nevertheless, congratulations to Slytherin for retaining the Quidditch Cup. Will they be able to continue their dominance next year, or will a challenger rise up and take the crown? Who knows - maybe a game will last long enough for us to find out.
Op-Ed: Hogwarts must invest in their students, not give up on them
By: Celia Vuong
Talk to any fifth year, and they'll likely tell you they've spent the past year inundated with reminders about the importance of the Ordinary Wizarding Levels. Professors and parents love to stress the role these exams play in deciding one's future. They're not completely wrong. Every upper-years professor sets a minimum grade for their advanced classes, and those who don't score high enough on the OWL are blocked from enrolling.

That might seem like a fine system at first glance. Students should be required to achieve a certain level of proficiency before they can take a more difficult class. However, the problem is that there are no alternatives available for those who don't make the cut. If you have an off day and do poorly on the Charms OWL, for example, you could be barred from taking the class for the rest of your time at Hogwarts. Never mind that Charms is one of the most fundamental branches of magic or that your fifth year grade was an aberration. Your only hope of taking Charms after doing badly on the OWL is convincing the professor to make an exception for you.

A school should not be limiting opportunities for its students to learn. A fifth year who does poorly on the Charms OWL but wants to continue studying charms should be able to do so. That goes for any subject. Hogwarts' system of standardizing curricula by grade level hurts both underachievers and overachievers. The students who lag behind lose opportunities to learn, and the students who excel are held back as their professors try to help their struggling peers. Many professors devote an inordinate amount of class time to reviewing past material in an attempt to ready underperforming students for exams. Meanwhile, students who have kept up with the material are left bored and unchallenged.

There are two potential solutions to this problem. The first is to offer different levels for each year level and class. Instead of "Sixth Year Charms," Hogwarts could offer "Sixth Year Remedial Charms," "Sixth Year Charms," and "Sixth Year Advanced Charms." This would require much more staffing, so another option would be to separate classes by skill level instead of age. Struggling students would be allowed to focus on basic material with a professor who can attend to their needs while more advanced students can take a faster-paced course.

Both solutions would require an overhaul of the curriculum and a significant amount of resources, but it would be worth it. As the sole wizarding school in New Zealand, Hogwarts bears the responsibility for educating the next generation of this country's wizards and witches. It's past time that the school invest in its students instead of giving up on them.
Spotlight Interview
By: Elara Chatelain

All students are encouraged to take a few electives beginning in their third year. Some students take what is required, but others seem to take it as a challenge to see who can make it to their NEWTs without having a breakdown. Nevertheless, this activity of overloading yourself with electives could be quashed if students were more familiar with the professors and their subjects. I had the wonderful chance of interviewing Professor Williams, who teaches 3rd and 4th year Arithmancy, to gain a little more insight on the subject.

EC: Good afternoon, Professor Williams. Thank you so much for taking the time to speak with me. While I’ve never taken Arithmancy, it seems like an interesting subject, and I’m sure the other students would love to hear more about it and you!

PW: That’s very sweet of you, Elara. I’m honored to be featured.

EC: It’s no problem! So, my first question is just getting to know you - tell me a little about yourself - your upbringing, where you went to school, what brought you to teaching Arithmancy?

PW: Sure. So, I born in Australia but have lived here most of my life. I went to school in this very castle (Go Ravenclaw!) and spent a bit of time as a photographer after leaving school. It allowed me to travel to some really cool places and meet extraordinary wizards and witches. I have two daughters now, but after I had my first I decided to find a more permanent position, leading me to teaching.

EC: That’s so interesting! Backtracking a bit, what kinds of things were you photographing?

PW: A lot of animals and creatures, but I also worked for some events and did shoot a few quidditch games while in Japan!

EC: I’ve never been Japan, but that sounds pretty awesome! Too bad we don’t have a photography class here. Was Arithmancy your favorite subject in school?

PW: *laughs* Not particularly. I mean, I took it for 4 years and did well in my NEWTs, but I was actually more interested in creatures and animals. I had a farm and creature sanctuary until very recently that I would work on while not teaching.

EC: That sounds like a lot of hard work.

PW: It definitely was, but now I get to spend more of that time with my daughters.

EC: I love that! So, to end the interview, I’ve come up with some rapid fire questions. You ready?

PW: Let’s go.

EC: Favorite color?

PW: Blue, kind of like an arctic blue.

EC: Favorite band?

PW: You really can’t beat Celestina Warbeck. Such a classic. But I also love the Lumonators.

EC: Favorite spell?

PW: Any cleaning spell or charm is a lifesaver.

EC: Favorite creature?

PW: Sea serpents.

EC: Least favorite creature?

PW: Ooh, tricky. I would say the poltergeist that used to live upstairs in my parents’ apothecary.

EC: That must have been wild! Okay, last question: if you had any advice for students, what would it be?

PW: Take advantage of opportunities that come your way, but also take care of yourself. Resources to learn will always be there in some way. Also, try some new things you might be wary of it - it’ll surprise you!

EC: I love that, Professor Williams. Thank you so much for speaking with me today. I’m sure my fellow students will find this article very interesting!
How to Draw a Butterfly
By: Abigail Payne
Have you ever wanted to draw something but didn't know where to start? Today, I'll be showing you how to draw a butterfly! Something simple! I know a lot of you might know how to draw a butterfly, but I thought it would be fun to learn!

STEP ONE

You first wanna draw the body. Draw two round shapes. A circle on the top, which will be the head, and a long oval at the bottom of the circle, which is the rest of the butterfly's body.

e31377be2cbb6b8d561f24f61725af541b1f235a.pnj

STEP TWO

Add the top wings to the body. Try and make them as symmetrical as possible! The wing doesn't have to be perfect! You want to start the wings in between the head and the body and end at the middle of the body.

0d9ce8a0066f577d504fe33eb931e31de193aa9f.pnj

STEP THREE

You then want to add the bottom wings to the body. Also, try and make the bottom wings as symmetrical as possible! Make sure to have the bottom wings be curved, a little different to the top wings.

3e82257f1edf395f398ebe5d93c38898f74ce380.pnj

STEP FOUR

Start adding odd round shapes in the middle of the top wings. Again, make sure that these odd round shapes on these wings are symmetrical on each wing.

b833062017c39435b0f94190bd19d21c671e6303.pnj

STEP FIVE

Add some more shapes on the top corners of the top wings. Make sure that these shapes are smaller and rounder than the ones in the middle of the wings.

6b04626b8396043f43e54f9096cf89cca96f9301.pnj

STEP SIX

Once you have finished adding long and round shapes to the top wings, you wanna do the same thing on the bottom wings. Make sure that these are round shapes and that the bottom wings are symmetrical to each other.

c4c1af159fbc477e3e074591b543135d6727a708.pnj
701a4b482436c41efc0b7e388c3e08e150a3d7aa.pnj

STEP SEVEN

This is the final step! Finally, add the last few shapes onto your wings and don't forget to add the antennae!

1072d90870a17ef9c272b65b1aa2c7e101e7ba09.pnj

And that's how you draw a butterfly! You can decide if you wanna colour in the butterfly or not! That is optional. You might not do great on the first go, but just know, with a lot of practice, I'm sure you'll be great! I believe in you!

Resource: Here (Photos are included in this resource!) - I screenshotted the pics due to the pics not uploading properly to the site so that's why they may seem a little different.
Recipe

Want to make a cake but don’t have much experience with cooking? Or maybe you’re wanting an easy dessert for hotter weather, or need a party dish and have very limited energy to make it? Well, have I got the dessert for you! 4 ingredients, no baking, guaranteed crowd please. A staple of Australian summer - chocolate ripple cake. Takes about 15 minutes to put together, 6+ hours to cool.

Ingredients

1 packet of chocolate ripple biscuits (250g) - if you can’t get them outside of Australia (sorry), you just need a crispy (but not too hard) chocolate cookie/biscuit. The cream will soften the biscuits so they’re more cake-like in texture without becoming soggy.

500ml thickened cream (for whipping)

1tsp vanilla extract

1tsp caster sugar

Decorations of your choice to serve - shaved peppermint chocolate bars or flake bars and raspberries are the most common.

Method

1. Whip the cream with the vanilla and sugar until firm peaks form. Careful not to over-whip! Just needs to be easily spreadable without dripping.
  2. Spread a little of the cream on the base of your plate for serving. I recommend getting a long rectangle plate to make it easier.
  3. Stand one biscuit upright on the end of the cream base and start building a log, sandwiching cream between each biscuit as you put it on the plate.
  4. Cover the log with the rest of the cream and then chill for a few hours, at least 6.
  5. Top with shaved chocolate and/or raspberries to serve.
Chocolate-Ripple-Cake-Process-11.jpg

image & recipe source and recipe source
Poetry Corner
By: River Hopkins-Vance

Shadow

A Shadow is Always Overlooked
Even on the Sunniest Days
It Doesn't Stand Out
It Doesn't Have a Say

A Shadow Always Disappears
On the Darkest Days
Forgotten About
Thrown Away

A Shadow Always Follows
Two Steps Behind
Hidden Always
Not Allowed to Shine

A Shadow is Always a Part
For All Time
Never A Them
But a Mine

A Shadow is Many Things
But The Big Question Stays
Can A Shadow Survive
When The Person Goes Away?
Horoscopes
By: Margo Fox

Aries (March 21 - April 19): It’s common for you to want to be first all the time. But sometimes it’s ok to celebrate others and let them get the attention for once. Your lucky number is 8 and 17.

Taurus (April 20 - May 20): People don’t always appreciate your devotion whether it’s to the people around you or to a particular cause. Don’t let that discourage you from doing you.

Gemini (May 21 - June 20): Learning skills probably comes easily for you. But don’t forget to spend time to actually master something. Try finding a Sagittarius to help you out.

Cancer (June 21 - July 22): You can convince people of almost anything. But try and use that skill for good and spread the energy you want to see in the world. Your lucky number is 2.

Leo (July 23 - Aug 22): Don’t be afraid to save some energy for yourself. If you’re not careful you can end up spending your energy on other people and end up empty when you need it.

Virgo (Aug 23 - Sep 22): Solving problems is no problem for you. Try helping others if they look like they’re struggling. You never know when your analytical eye might come in handy.

Libra (Sep 23 - Oct 22): People tend to flock to you without a second thought. But don’t let that get in the way of finding time for yourself. Your lucky numbers are 6. 13, and 24.

Scorpio (Oct 23 - Nov 21): You’re no stranger to a challenge. Use that focus of yours to push yourself to be the best version of you. You owe it to yourself to see what you’re capable of.

Sagittarius (Nov 22 - Dec 21): No one can crack a joke like you. But be careful about who you’re laughing at. There’s no reason to make someone feel small when we can all laugh together.

Capricorn (Dec 22 - Jan 19): Being in control is what you’re good at. But make sure you’re not stepping on anyone's toes as you get things done. They’re likely just trying to help.

Aquarius (Jan 20 - Feb 18): You are one of a kind and no one even comes close. Don’t let that worry you one bit. It’s what everyone wishes they could be. Your lucky number is 22.

Pisces (Feb 19 - March 20): Creativity is something that you were born with. Use that to share your vision with the world. Some people might not understand but the most important ones will.
Aunt Meg
By: Charlie Helkovaara

Dear Aunt Meg,

I really, really like this guy and I think he likes me too. But he's way out of my league. I'm a little scared that I might ruin the friendship we have if I tell him how I feel about him. What do you think I should do?

- Hesitant Wallflower

Hesitant Wallflower,

Don’t be so hard on yourself. Are you considering his feelings in all of this? You think he likes you too. Perhaps he sees more in you than you see yourself. Don’t just assume his feelings for him. If you really like this boy, tell him the truth about how you feel. If he cares for you the way you care for him, it could be the start of something new. And if it doesn’t, well, if he’s the good guy you think he is then you two can work together to move past it. The question you need to ask yourself is if this is a secret you can live with.

-Aunt Meg

Dear Aunt Meg,

Do you know anything about family pressure? My family is amazing, and loving, but I was adopted into a very successful, very rich family. From their matriarch to each and every one of the family, they are all talented and successful and independently wealthy in varying degrees. I’m the only one left in school, but I’ve always felt like I’ve had to earn my place. I work hard, doubling down on my schooling and the activities I’m involved in. I know it’s affecting my personal life; I’m always busy, working hard to achieve things I don’t know if I deserve to have. Somehow I have an amazing, wonderful boyfriend, and the best group of friends anyone could ask for. I’m not even really sure what I’m asking… I’ve been trying to maintain a good balance, but I feel like an imposter, like I don’t deserve any of the good things I have.

-Trying Too Hard

Trying Too Hard,

Merlin. I don’t think talking to an Aunt Meg column will help you much, my friend. I’m going to say you need to go to therapy. But for a small two cents from me, you need to trust more in your friends and family. You say that all these wonderful people love you, and have your back. Maybe you should let them in on your real feelings, and let them love you.

~Aunt Meg

Aunt Meg,

Everything is happening all too quickly and I'm not sure what to do with myself. Should I leave school and do what I've been wanting to do since I was a child, or should I do what I'm good at because I know I can?

Anonymous,

Well, my friend, that is an interesting question. Doing what you’re good at is certainly a secure option. But would you be happy? Following your dreams is always a risk. I’m going to draw off my last piece of advice a bit; get some good support. I know that taking the risk is scary, but honestly. When we’re old, it’s the risks we never took that we’ll regret the most. Follow your heart.

~Aunt Meg

Dear aunt Meg,

I haven't been feeling like myself lately, but for the last couple of years. People are getting mad at me for things that I don't mean to do. I'm accidentally drifting from my friends and I really don't want to. What do I do?

L

L,

First, I saw you signed your name, but I’m not about to publish it. This is an anonymous forum, my friend. Although, signing your name does help in my advice. I know who your roommates are. Turn to that one- yes, you know exactly who I mean. He’s going to give you the unconditional support you need.

But my advice? Don’t worry so much about other people. Just do your best. You can’t live your life trying to please the rest of the world. There will always be someone dissatisfied with you. All you can do is try your best, and those that really love and support you will stand by you.

Live your life the only way you can. We’re young and still growing. Maybe you’ll hit your stride when your older. Take each day one step at a time. Find one good thing from your day to focus on, and build on that. Breakfast was good? Great, let that carry you.

And if things get rough, well, find your roommate. He’s a solid rock, build on him. You’ll be surprised what you can do with some solid support. The good thing with him in particular is that we know for sure he doesn’t need you to tell him exactly whats wrong. Flash him a sad smile and he’ll have your back.

~Aunt Meg
Editor's Note
By: Estella Fuentes
And that’s a wrap for this year and for my last issue as editor! I am so grateful to have been a part of the Hogwarts Monthly. None of it would be the same without each and every one of you. Whether you wrote an article, or read one of the articles, your support means more than you could ever imagine. My time at Hogwarts has been a journey I will never forget. I will most importantly never forget the friends I made along the way. Thank you so much for being a part of the memories. It means more than you could ever know.

Lots of love,
BzTbXFt.png

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back