History of Magic Classroom Policy (Years 5 - 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
History of Magic OWL and NEWT Levels

Classroom Rules
First of all, welcome to the hardest 'topics' of History of Magic as students prepare for the OWLs and NEWTs. Professor Borisyuk is a bit more of the stern type, does a lot of reading over history and knows his facts. He does have his own analysis over past events. He can be stubborn with his standards, but he will keep an open mind over other opinions. He believes that with history, there are multiple stories, even over the same event. While his standards are high, he will expect everyone to follow his rules, which are pretty basic:

• No talking while Killian is teaching, or over other students
  • Show respect to everyone, from Killian to other students
  • No bullying or disrespectful behavior at all
  • Raise your hand when you want to ask a question
  • If you need additional assistance, or have questions outside of class hours, drop by Killian's office.
    • PM me when this occurs, or tag this account.
Lessons, Exams, and Grades
I will not be looking at word count. I will grade lessons based on how your student reacts to the lesson. I do like reading 1 medium paragraphs or 2 - 3 short paragraphs. Attending the class and reacting will automatically earn an O. All homework assignments will be worth extra credit. Do not stress over homework. Your student can still earn an O for the entire course without doing any of the homework (although mentioning it outside of class is fine as Killian is the type to assign a lot throughout the year). If you choose to do the homework, sources or credit will be required unless it is strictly opinion based.

On that note, plagiarism is not tolerated. Never take others words and work to claim it as your own. You will receive a T for the entire lesson.

If you have missed a lesson, do not fret. Every class, including this one, will have a make-up topic to post all missed lessons that are archived. I'll leave the lessons open for a week, maybe two, but if they are archived, just post in the make-up topic. You will not be deducted any points for missing a lesson. Real life happens. We have all been there. The make-up topic will be around until the first day of exams. If you require more time for lessons, reach out to me and I'll work something out with you.

Examinations will be posted on Mondays, however, this does not count for the OWL/NEWT. I will post them days earlier as they are longer and covers more information than the sixth year examination. If you need more time for your exams, let me know ASAP. I will try to work something out. Some careers do require History of Magic, so if you need some advice on whether or not you need this course for your future career, drop me a PM, and I'll look it up.

Also, if you wish to make a D or a T, you will need to reach out to me and I'll give you that grade. All students pass automatically with a P, however just because you make a P, may not mean you can advance further into the course, which brings up the next topic below.

Pre-Requisites for NEWT Level History of Magic
As of Y42, there are no pre-requisites for this course.
This will change in Y44, when Killian will increase that you will need an A to enter into the 6th year, and an EE to enter the 7th year. Again, if you are having issues meeting this, reach out to me and I will help you out. To see what sort of grades you need, I will add in the table I made back when I taught DADA below. Helpful notes are below to see how the letters and points work:

• 10 points: Outstanding
  • 7 points: Exceeding Expectations
  • 5 points: Acceptable
  • 3 points: Poor
  • 1 point: Dreadful (needs to be requested by you, the student)
  • 0 points: Troll (needs to be requested by you, the student, unless plagiarism occurred)
OutstandingExceeding ExpectationsAcceptablePoor
1st, 2nd, 3rd, 6th4 Os, 1 E, 1 A or 3 Os, 1 E, 1 A + O Exam
(52 points or more)
3 Os, 1 A, or 2 Os, 1 A + O Exam
(between 51 and 35 points)
2 Os or 1 O + O Exam
(between 34 and 20 points)
Less than Acceptable
5th, 7th4 Os, 1 A + O Exam or 4 Os, 1 E, 1 A + A Exam
(65 points or more)
4 Os, 1 E or 2 Os, 1 E + O Exam
(between 64 and 47 points)