Herbology Homework :(

Gilbert Williams

OOC First Name
Senwyn
Wand
Cherry Wand 12 1/2" Essence of Wood Rose
Glumly, Gil sat at a table near the entrance to the library, staring at the parchment spread out in front of him. His first true piece of homework. Write an essay. An essay. Even at his old primary school, they'd never made him write essays. Do a few maths questions maybe, write a story possibly, but a full blown essay. And on a medicinal plant? Gil let out a small groan, hitting his head against the desk a couple of times, only to recieve a harsh 'shhhh' from some of the more academically minded students sitting around him. With a small groan, Gil got to his feet, approaching the shelves. Blankly, he looked down a few aisles, then turned, looking to see if there was some kind of reference guide to help him find what he was looking for. If he even knew what he was looking for.

Returning to his desk, he pulled out his herbology textbook, flicking through it tiredly. Maybe there'd be something in the index. Underlined and starred, with big flashing letters, just to make sure he didn't miss it. Irritably, Gil found the page and flicked forward once more, reading it slowly. Gil wasn't too interested about which plant he chose. As long as it was straight forward and had a few uses he could talk about. A few lines in and he found a section on Aloe Vera. Thank goodness for alphabetical order! Aloe vera looked good, it had a few medicinal uses and best of all, he'd even heard of it. Unlike Aconite, whatever that was. Pulling his quill out, Gil was ready to copy the paragraph word for word, before he recalled what the teacher had said about Plagiarism. Knowing the teacher, he'd definitely give him a detention if he tried to hand in a copied paragraph. Gah, he was actually going to have to take the time to write it. SO much for finding the kitchen today.

Amanda had been searching the shelves for something that jumped out of her. She realized that the books didn't, and her sometimes lazy self had to search for what she wanted. But what did she want to read? She finally found a book that interested her, and she hadn't seen before. She looked for somewhere to sit. It seemed like everywhere was taken. There was one empty table, and she sat down in one of the seats, reading immediately.

Amanda was so concentrated on her book that she didn't notice another person sit down at first. Then, she looked up. She realized the boy was doing homework or something. And he had probably gotten up to look for something. "I'm sorry, I didn't know this table was taken," she said.

Barely five minutes into writing his essay and Gil felt like going to sleep. It was so boring. In the library, there was no noise except the sound of scratchy quills. Gil himself was struggling with his, trying to reduce the mess as much as possible. It looked like he was going to have to rewrite the first section of his essay, almost illegible from where he'd accidentally blurred the ink with his hands. He sneaked a glance at the girl sitting opposite him. She'd been sat there since he'd come back from searching for a book, already immersed in her own work. Ravenclaw. The house of bookworms. Of course, she was already having more success in her own work than him.

Gil lowered his gaze back to his parchment, trying to work out whether he could even salvage anything from the black blob that was supposed to be his writing. In surprise, he heard a girl's voice and glanced up to find the girl looking at him. "Huh?" Gil said stupidly before he realised what she'd said. "No worries" Gil replied goodnaturedly, grinning across at her, "I don't mind. Free country and all. You're a first year right? You doing Herbology as well?" He heard another irritated shh and winced, glancing behind him at the annoyed student. "Jeez" Gil muttered under his breath, "You'd think I was screaming or something..."

((Sorry it's short. I had a longer one but then my computer was mean and I had to redo it.))

Amanda nodded. "Yeah, I'm a first year," she said. "And I may be in Ravenclaw, but I'm a bit of a procrastinator. I'll manage to do it well, even if I do it the night before it's due."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back