Blood Status
Unknown
Relationship Status
Single
Sexual Orientation
Straight
Wand
Curly 12 Inch Swishy Ivy Wand with Mermaid Scale Core
Emily felt a fire under her skin, burning, restless energy desperate for an escape. No matter how tightly she squeezed the horrible letter in her hand it wasn't enough. She wanted to crush it to dust, burn it, tear the page to shreds and remove every trace of it from existence. Even that wouldn't be enough. She had practically punched the door to the Great Hall open on her way out, and that had felt good, had satisfied some of the rage burning inside her. Emily knew in the back of her mind that she should be focusing on Mum's calming techniques right now, knew this anger wasn't healthy, but it was too powerful for her to think straight, pacing furiously along the lake's edge once she reached it. Just throwing the letter from Bexx into the lake wouldn't be enough. She needed something to take this anger out on. Growling under her breath, Emily tore the parchment roughly, ripping it again and again until the letter was reduced to crumpled, ruined shreds, a hateful confetti Emily threw full force into the lake. It was only once the letter was out of her hand that she felt herself enough to remember her calming techniques. Sinking to the ground, Emily wrapped trembling arms around her knees and began to breathe, a few tears of frustration and rage leaking from her eyes as she tried to center herself.

Even though Odette had known about Charlotte's existence since her third year, she hadn't really felt like a big sister until she had been adopted by Maria. There was a strong protectiveness Odette felt about Maria's two other daughters, who were both younger than her. Emily especially, as she seemed more easily hurt than Charlie was. So lately, Odette had gotten into the habit of sitting on the side of the Slytherin table with a view of the Gryffindor one, so she could keep an eye on both girls. It was strange, how quickly she had grown attached to them. Strange, but marvelous too. It was because of this habit that Odette saw the moment Emily had gotten a letter she hadn't been happy about. She hadn't noticed right away, but had spotted the girl getting to her feet and practically punching her way through the door of the great hall on the way out. Concerned, Odette had followed, abandoning her toast at the Slytherin table. She had followed the girl outside, though she was too far ahead to call out to. Odette caught up with her near the lake, in time to see her tearing the letter into shreds before sinking onto the ground. It was clear that she was very upset, and while Odette didn't have much practice with comforting people, she knew she had to do her best to try. Odette quietly sat down on the grass next to Emily. "Hey..." She said, announcing her presence so she wouldn't startle the girl. "I can set any shreds that didn't make it into the lake on fire for you, if you want." She tried for a light tone. "Do you want to talk about it?"

Emily was too caught up in her fury to hear the footsteps approaching her, and had the voice who spoke been almost anyone else, Emily likely would have lashed out at them without thinking. A part of her was ready to snap at Odette but she calmed it, thumping her fist into the ground and pressing her jaw firmly into her knees, keeping the ball of anger in her stomach contained. "I hate my mum." Emily grumbled instead, staring blankly out over the lake. "Not Maria." Emily added quickly, starting to rip at the grass for something to do with her free hand. "I mean like, my birth mum. I hate her. She just sent me a stupid birthday letter." Emily tore her gaze from the lake to give Odette a meaningful look. "Remember, my birthday that was in March? I hate her." Emily repeated, sniffling as she returned her gaze to the water again. "She never cared about me, I wish she'd stop pretending and just leave me alone." Emily had talked about her feelings with Maria and Charlie, and she knew Maria understood at least a bit, but Emily knew enough about Odette's past to know she would understand a painful relationship with the person who was supposed to raise you.

Odette was glad that Emily didn't push her away and seemed okay with her being here. She hadn't been Emily's sister for that long, and could imagine the girl wanting Maria or Charlie instead. The girl's words startled Odette for a moment, but her clarification made a lot of sense. She knew Emily had a troubled relationship with her birth mother, much like Odette had had when her mother had still been alive. It was a different situation, of course, but it was one she could understand. Odette sighed when Emily told her she had just sent her a birthday letter, months too late. "That's awful. I'm sorry." She said softly, putting a hand on Emily's arm gently. "I know how you feel... it's so hard to be reminded again and again that your mother doesn't seem to care the same way other mothers do." She said softly, then looked over at the lake again. "Mine would care about me as long as I acted like an extension of her, someone who could do things she wanted to do when she was young. But if I did anything I wanted to do, it just... disappeared." She sighed, not sure if Emily was in the mood to hear her stories right now. "What I mean to say is that... that's not okay, and you are right to be upset about it. A mother should care unconditionally, and it's okay to be angry when she's not." She gently put an arm around her. "You know it's not because of you, right?" She asked softly.

The anger that had flared in Emily was slowly beginning to subside as she breathed calmly, and she began to gather herself properly as she listened to Odette, still ripping quietly at the grass by her legs. She nodded quietly as she listened to Odette, a strange, unfamiliar feeling of relief running through Emily. She had talked to other people with difficult relationships with their mothers before, but it was clear that Odette understood exactly how she felt. She accepted the arm around her, shifting her posture slightly to lean against her sister, not bothering to wipe her eyes as a couple more tears leaked from them. "I know." Emily said quietly, her usually large voice sounding as small as she felt right now, letting Odette's presence reassure her. "I just... I wish Maria was my birth mum." She mumbled quietly, leaning against Odette. "I wish I didn't have to deal with this. It's not fair. For either of us." She added, glancing up at Odette. "We both shoulda had mums that loved us."

Odette's words about her own mother didn't seem to anger Emily more, which Odette was grateful for. She hadn't wanted to seem like she was making the situation about herself, but instead she had wanted to show kinship with the other girl. It seemed like Emily understood that, and Odette was glad. The younger girl leaned against her, and Odette felt a protective feeling coming over her. There was a part of her that wanted to confront Emily's mother and yell at her for doing this to such a wonderful girl, but she knew that wasn't something that would help anyone. Instead, she tried to be comforting to her sister. "I know." She said softly. "But... while she's not your birth mum, she is your mum. Blood has nothing to do with that." She said softly. "When I found out who my father was, I thought he was the reason for... me being the way I was. Mean to others. Like it was in my blood." She didn't know much about her father, but Matthew's words about him hadn't painted a pretty picture. "But It has taken me a while to understand that's not the case... we are our own people. And we have a mum who loves us now." She smiled down at Emily, then stroked one hand over her hair. "And I gained two really great sisters too." She added softly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back