Happiness Never Lasts

Nephrolepis Undersee

Wand
Black Walnut/ Maple Wand 12 3/4 Essence of Silver Thistle
A slight breeze ruffled through Nephrolepis' hair as she sat a safe few meters away from the cliff edge, hugging her knees tightly to her chest and letting her golden curls cover her face. Everything was fine. Lovely. In fact, she didn't think things could get much better. She had a good friend now, though she didn't invite her to the cliffs. This was her special place, where nobody could find her unless they'd read her journal - which she hid under her mattress and only wrote in at night. With a feeling that something good was going to happen to her, she slipped off her shoes and wiggled her toes in the soft grass. Plucking a few daisies, she made a very small daisy chain which could only fit the wrist of a very young child or a part goblin. She smiled, feeling lazy as the gentle sun shone down on her. She hadn't felt this good for a while.

Little did Nephy know, the feeling wasn't going to last. In fact, instead of something good happening to her, she was going to get rather a nasty shock. It didn't occur to her that anything could go wrong when she was in such a happy mood. Usually, when everything felt brighter, it stayed that way for at least a week. It was the first day of her feeling like she could walk on the clouds, and she thought that nothing could break her. Unfortunately, Nephy had not yet experienced the nastier side of the world. The cruel, heartless side - Or more precisely, the cruel, heartless people.

Jennifer had never felt so furious. She stormed up the path she knew all very well led to the cliff, to the girl who had written about her in her journal. The cheek of it. Her blood boiled, her hair whipping her face as she saw the back of Nephrolepis. It had been so easy to find her, since she'd clearly written where she went in the evenings in her stupid little diary. And she hadn't thought about making sure everyone was asleep before she wrote in it. 'Not so clever now, are we?' Jen muttered under her breath, though her voice was drowned out by the wind, as were her footsteps. There was no way the girl could have known she was coming. Up close, Jen realised that the girl was alarmingly small. She hadn't considered this in the dorm, only that she had to find the girl who had been writing things about her, and she had to find her now. In her impatience, she'd decided she'd face the girl alone. Her size made her hesitate, but only for a moment.

Jen used the element of surprise effectively and grabbed the girl by her wrist, yanking her to her feet before throwing her back down to the ground - hard. Her face showed pure hatred, her mouth a snarl and her eyes bright with fury. Suddenly, she felt no sympathy for the girl, whether she was small or not. 'What the hell d'ya think you're doing?' Jennifer spat, hoping the girl was by now truly terrified. 'You show your friends that stupid diary of yours? Do you?' She raised her voice now, knowing that even if anyone was nearby, the wind would drown out her voice. She enjoyed the feeling of the girl underneath her as she impatiently waited for a reply.

Nephy had been admiring the view when she had been abruplty pulled almost off her feet, before being thrown harsly back down onto the hard ground. She yelped as a sharp pain shot up her wrist, though she immediately regretted showing any sign of weakness towards the girl who was pushing her around. Fear throbbed through her veins as she listened to the girl, who she vaguely recognized from the Gryffindor common room, hissed cruelly at her. Avoiding wiping the spit off her cheek, Nephy's eyes were wide with anxiety. She tried not to show it, but her wrist hurt and she was automatically cradling it as she lay on the ground. She had no idea what this girl was talking about for a moment, until she mentioned the diary. Nephy hadn't known that somebody knew where she hid it, and a wave of relief suddenly hit her.

Though Nephy now knew what to say, it wouldn't come out right. 'I.. It wasn't me, I mean, I.. I wasn't talking.. Writing a.. About you,' she stammered, well aware it looked like she was blatantly lying, whereas it was the truth. Her heart pounded underneath her chest and she swallowed back the sickening feeling in her throat. She had written about a Gryffindor fourth year - one she despised for reasons she had gone well in to in her journal, but it hadn't been the blonde girl above her. 'I.. I swear, please,' she was now in defeat, not bothering to hide it in fear that she was going to get hurt. There was no point calling for help. Nobody would hear her. But in her heart, she knew there could be no chance the girl would believe her, and she was extremely scared about what would happen next.

Jennifer laughed, though she wasn't finding it at all funny. First, the girl had the cheek to write about her. Then to deny it too. A small glimmer of hesitation flooded through her as she considered that Nephy was telling the truth, but she quickly banished this from her mind. Of course she wasn't. She was just covering for herself so she didn't get hurt. Well, I've got news for you, Jen snarled and crouched down beside the girl, withdrawing her wand from her pocket and holding the girl slightly off the ground by the front of her shirt. She pressed her wand as hard as she dared on the girl's neck, under her chin, and gave her a shake.

'Hah. Well, we'll see if that's the case when my friends, get here,' It was a lie, but she wanted to convince Nephy to tell the truth. She yelled her friend's name to sound a little more convincing, still snarling at the part goblin with slightly parted lips. 'You thought you were clever, hiding that little book under your mattress - surprised you could lift it really,' Jen pushed the wand harder into her skin, leaving a red mark and probably a large bruise by the morning. 'Now, what shall we do first? I do pay good attention in my lessons. You'd be surprised how many... tricks I've picked up,' her voice was a quiet purr, smooth and thoroughly enjoying torturing the girl like this. Truthfully, she didn't know many spells at all. But if Nephy could lie, then so could she.

Briar was making her way up to the cliffs. she knew they were meant to be out of bounds to students but briar had never paid any attention to that, and even though she was a prefect and meant to be a role model didn't mean mush to her today. she was going for a run where she wanted to and that was that. she reached the top of the cliffs and saw that there were two students there they hadn't seemed to notice her so she slowed down and stalked towards them although she was a prefect she didn't like getting students in trouble but she would if she had to. she got closer and saw one of them tackle the younger one to the ground. moving towards them she spoke up. "Hello Ladies, I hope that i am not interrupting anything" she said realising that they were both from her house. she tried to remember their names, she had tried to learn as many of the students names as she could, the younger one was Nephrolepis, she Briar could remember as she was like her sister but the opposite, small not tall, the other one she tried to recall was called Jennifer. "Jennifer, I don't know what tricks you may have picked up but I would advise you not to use them on younger students or i promise you will get into more trouble. I would also ask you to move away from Nephrolepis now and I may not report you, If not i have no option" she said. she hated reporting rule breakers, the only reason she did was if they put someone else in danger.

Nephy lay on the floor, shaking, though not from the cold. In fear, she'd had a bit of an accident and had started to cry silently. The girl's wand was digging into her neck, and she held her breath, fighting the urge to break out into huge sobs, and wishing she wasn't such a cry baby. 'Please, I swear I wasn't w..writing about you,' Nephy choked out, gasping for air. 'P..Please, stop it,' she hated the feeling of Jen's hand against her skin where she was holding onto her clothing. Her fale paled in anticipation of what was going to happen to her. She had no doubt that the girl did know a lot of magic, and could easily hurt her.

When Nephy heard someone other than the girl speaking, she dared not breath a sigh of relief. But inside, she relaxed a little. Someone knew they were there. It would be OK. She began to blush, feeling stupid for getting herself into this mess, for the damp patch on her robes. She dared glance away from the girl and to the one who had just arrived. Nephy vaugely recognized her as one of the prefects, and knew her name began with a B, but that was about it. She gently tried to pull her way out of the girl's grasp, but her wrist was now burning with pain and she couldn't struggle. Her eyes darted back to the prefect, asking for help silently and unable to move.

Jennifer felt a blush appearing under her makeup as she realized she'd been caught picking on the girl. She didn't loosen her grip though, even when the girl wet herself in fear. She turned her head to the girl who had just arrived. Briar. She groaned inwardly, knowing all to well that she was a prefect, and would definitely report her. She hadn't thought anybody would find the two of them in such a deserted, and forbidden place. She pulled her wand away from Nephy, and pointed it at the prefect. 'You just stay out of this, you swotty teachers pet,' Jen spat, pointing her wand back at Nephy, and then to Briar again. She was trapped, but she didn't show defeat so easily. Then her fear turned into a sly grin. 'And what are you, going to do about it, anyway? Report me. I've got loads of time to give her what she deserves until then,' her voice was sleek and calm again, as though she was enjoying herself. Her head turned back to Nephy and she gave her a harsh shake, pointing her wand at her head. 'But until then, I think we'll start with making sure you can never write again. How does that sound?' Jen smiled, hoping she had enough time before the prefect did something to stop her.

"Dios mio, dios mio, dios mio" Felicity had just caught sight of what was going down from a far out distant. She didn't know today she would be finding her little friend restraint down by a bigger girl. Felicity only being a first year had no idea what to do. She couldn't fight, her arms were weak as a fighter but she was strong as a dancer. Though it made no sense whatsoever to use her strength when the girl clearly knew advance magic then her. Felicty feared for her friend. She was about to pick up a rock, throw it at her so the girl would be distracted to leave Nephy alone. Saved by the bell, more like the werewolf. Felicity was ecstatic to see the perfect. "Nephy?! Nephy are you alright? she went running and stop right besides the perfect. "Get off of her, she's to small you fat lard!?"

Briar could see that the younger girl was in pain, and doing a good job to keep from crying out, but at least she looked happy to see her. the older girl however didn't seem to be as happy. in fact the girl called her a swatty teachers pet, she had to laugh at that, she really wasn't one who would be called a teachers pet. "ha. If you really think i am that kind of person then you are misinformed." she said, realising part way through that through some twist of fate that is what she was showing signs of this year. her desire to get into the ministry and need to probe that wolves were just as much people as everyone else had caused her to actually start working hard, but that didn't mean she had lost her ability to stand up for others if she needed to. she watched as the girl changed who she was aiming the wand at, unsure if she should continue to do what she was doing or protect herself. briar put her hand in her pocket and wrapped it around the handle of her own wand. she wouldn't use it yet but if the need arose she would. when the girl spat at her she growled and felt the hair on the back of her neck stand up.
she heard someone else coming up the hill behind her, she didn't turn to see who it was they sounded small and it was probably a younger student. when the girl drew near to her she saw it was but as she didn't recognise her she guessed she was from a different house. her attention was soon brought back to the girls on the grass as she heard Jennifer threaten to stop the younger girl from being able to write. "now that is enough," she said taking out the wand and pointing it at jennifer it at her "Incarcerous" she said almost lazily glad that she had learned that spell in transfiguration earlier in the year. she saw roped fly out of her wand and hoped that they made the target. either way she headed over to the two girls. "Now can any of you tell me what was going on here?" she asked wondering what had caused the two girls to be fighting in the first place.

No sooner had Jennifer threatened the girl, she had found herself bound in a strong rope. 'Argh,' it was more of a cry of dismay than anything else. She glowered at the prefect, letting go of Nephy and letting her drop the short distance to the floor. Without bothering to struggle, she knealt on the ground and kept eye contact with the prefect, not bothering to look at the girl who was asking Nephy if she was all right. 'Like you'd care. She,' She shot a glare and Nephy, 'Has been writing stuff about me in her stupid journal. And I bet you all her friends have seen it,' Jen hesitated, 'If she has any,' she scoffed, glaring straight back to Briar. 'I think that ought to have a punishment, don't you? Sneaking around, whispering about people behind their backs. Stupid little cow,' Jen struggled at the ropes to see if she could break free, but the harder she tugged, the tighter they seemed to become. 'Now let me go, alright?' She softened her glare, though if the girl let her go she planned to get her own back straight away. Nephy was not going to get away with this. If it wasn't this time, she'd get her friends and come back to her special place when she was sure that nobody was following.

As soon as the girl let her go, Nephy scrabbled to her feet and launched herself towards the two girls. She was going to hug Felicity, but then, knowing that she probably smelt a bit from her accident, she ran behind them instead, rubbing her wrist and bursting into tears. She couldn't help it. Whenever something happened, she would either run, or cry. Her wrist and now arm were so painful, and she was exhaused from fear. The mixture of emotions span through her, making the world feel unstable and her eyes feel black. The last thing she remembered was that she hoped she grew out of being so tearful. Then her knees buckled and she hit the ground with a tiny thud.

Her tiny body lay unconcious for less than three seconds, yet it felt like hours. She opened her eyes and blinked, confused but feeling a little better. She sat up gently, her hair full of grass as she realized what was going on and remembered what had just happened. Jen was kneeling on the ground, tied up by ropes she could only imagine Briar had put there. Amazed that magic could do such a thing, she stroked grass out of her hair with her left hand. A pain shot up it, causing her to wince and bring her arm back down quickly. Everything was in a mess. She shut her eyes tightly, wishing that it could all just go away, be over, and that she wouldn't have to face talking to anyother ever again. There had been many days when she'd felt embarassed, but this was definitely the worst of them all.

OOCOut of Character:
Living up to my 'Most dramatic' award :r

Kate had been sitting around in the common room reading a book.Like many other days she was pretty bored,when you have the tendency to get sick a lot,it limits the amount of activities you can do.That had been her main worry for the Quiddtich match it would of just been plain embarrassing if she had had to get sick during the game and probably all over the floor too.Panic attacks and bad head aches had been another issue but it had been more about that getting sick part because that was what happened her most often and a head ache she had been dealing with for nearly over a year,it was almost part of her now it was there so much.There was only so much pain killers she could take at the one time.She had a cold too,which didn't help things either.after a few minutes she threw the book on the ground frustrated.A few people looked over but didn't say anything.Kate got off her chair and angrily stormed out of the room.

It was only when she was walking around the school that she realized what she had done back there had been very stupid and childish but she was just so p!ssed about everything in her life,that to be honest she didn't really care.She made her way outside and just let her feet guide her to where ever her subconsious wanted her to go.It wasn't until she felt a nasty breeze that she realized she was making her way to the cliff.Not a place she had been to often,it was sort of cold and all she had on was a light jacket,but she didn't care.As she made her way closer to the top she saw a group of people.One of some reason was tied up and she saw a girl run behind someone who she thought was Briar and another girl she didn't know.As Kate got closer she saw the girl who had run behind the other two girls fall.She started to jog over and she was very confused.Why was a girl tied up?What had happened the poor girl who was at her feet who seemed to have woken up. "Hey Briar,whats going on here?"She asked,she noticed the girl wince when she tried to wipe grass out of her hair "Are you okay?"She asked kneeling beside her

Felicity didn't believe the girl. She wouldn't think Nephy would write about someone, and if she did it was her business anyways. "Que se mantenga alejado de ella!" she said in Spanish. Felicity had the upper hand, well sort of since the girl was tied and her poor friend kept falling onto the ground. "Even if she did, journals are private. They are not meant for anyone to read, so you're excuse to get at her is pointless" Felicity frowned.

Soon enough another girl came running towards them. Felicity slide right next to Nephy, she caught a strange smell coming from her friend. It was the smell that she's pissed herself, Felicity wasn't going to say anything but she thought her friend should be taken away before the smell worsen. "We need to take her away, she's badly hurt" Felicity lied through her teeth, somewhat was truth, Nephy was hurt. It was the smell Felicity didn't want them to notice. "Can you walk Nephy?" she whisper to the part-goblin ear, "You have used the bathroom on yourself, we need to get you out of here."

OOCOut of Character:
-You stay away from her.

OOCOut of Character:
I am afraid Briar has already chosen Drama queen (JW), but you seem to be going along the ttrack for for the one most likely to have an accident :r

when briar had asked the cause of the trouble it handt crossed her mind that the part gablin was hurt. her monthly advenured with pain had lead her to be dismissive of it however when the girl got up, and promptly passed out she realised that she should have checked on her first. she went over to her but by the time she was there she was awake again. she looked her over with a glance and realised that she had had an accident. somehow her friend kate also appeared at that moment "Nephrolepis, Are you okay" she asked as she took her hoody off as the girl brushed her hair to try and remove the grass that had decided to stick to it. she saw the girl wince and quickly stop it. "here take this It will probably swamp you but it will hide the signs of your accident until you find something that fits" sh said pasing over the scarlet hoody, most people in the school would be able to tell it was hers as there was a logo on it much like the one on her singlet underneeth claiming "werewolf girl". she then looked up at the girl wh's name she didnt know and smiled. "Kate and, umm, sorry i dont know your name, but you seem to know 'Nephy' would you both mind accompanying her to the hospital wing, and make sure her wrist gets looked at. and if you see any professors on the way please may you ask them to come out here" se said. she hoped that the girl wouldnt pass out again, but if she did she hoped that someone would be able to help her.
Briar then looked back to the fourth year. who had been telling thereason for what had happened as she had been tending to the other girls. "I wont tell you off or lecture you on anything, but from my limited experience of journals they are privet things and although i don't know what was written i would hope she didn't write anything that would justify you making her unable to write again like you threatened." she said. standing waiting for the others to move back to the castle. she then positioned herself between Jennifer and the way off the cliffs. "when they are inside i will release the ropes until a professor gets here, though i wont let you pass out of here, I warn you i am fast, and have experiencing tracking and catching things" she said. she did make do with that promise and cast protago around herself when she did so as not to be hit by any spell that may be cast on her.
OOCOut of Character:
I am off to bed. feel free to continue without me

Nephrolepis was surprised to suddenly find there were two people hovering above her. She glanced over at Jen to make sure she was still safely tied up, and nodded uncertainly at Felicity and the girl who had asked her if she was all right. It was a lie - she was in a lot of pain and everyone had definitely noticed her accident. She blushed, holding onto Felicity to pull herself up gently, and though she was slightly dizzy, she could just about coordinate herself OK. 'I.. I'm fine,' Nephy lied, hoping that the others would leave her alone so that she and Felicity could leave quickly, but nobody was going to believe that. After all, she'd just fainted and was still wincing.

Nephy thanked Felicity with her eyes. She wasn't too sure how far away Hogwarts was from the cliffs - she couldn't really remember how she'd even got there. Her head started to hurt and she looked to the prefect for help. She was already handing her hoodie to her, and though she was confused and the prefect's voice seemed to slur, she understood. 'Thank you,' she mumbled, pulling on the hoodie which came handily down to her knees. 'And.. Sorry,' it was the only thing she could think to say. She was used to saying it, anyway. Today was no different.

OOCOut of Character:
Haha :3 and night Mia! x

The girl certainly didn't look fine to Kate.She was definitely going to need the hospital that was for sure.Kate had become more familiar with the hospital wing because she need to get painkillers and stuff for her panic attacks.Her eyes didn't look very focused.Kate noticed the smell as well but she didn't say anything.That would just be plain rude since she had never even met this girl before and it would be mean anyways no matter how much she knew the girl.The other girl seemed very protective of her and that obviously meant that they were friends an Kate knew she wouldn't be able to bring the girl all the way's down to the Hospital wing by herself.She still wondered what the hell was going on but from what she heard Briar saying it was something that was none of her business so she would just help the girl down to the hospital wing and maybe find out what her name was in the process."Come on let's get you up"She said lifting the girl gently to her feet watching her wrists "It's not that far"She said partly lying but it was for the good of the girl,she though it was bested to leave the introducing till the hospital or maybe sometime before that because the girl didn't exactly look like she was fully settle on the ground yet.

Nephy thanked the other girl helping her up, not meeting her eyes with embarassment. Everyone was being so kind. She wasn't used to this. Her cheeks were pink and she daren't look at the people surrounding her as she nodded. She had to at least try and get to the hospital wing, or nobody could help her. Nephy was feeling tired and sick, and through her daze she sincerely hoped she didn't have a concussion as well. She had no idea how hard she'd hit the ground, but she was now starting to feel the effects. It wasn't a very long drop to the ground from her height, but it was still just as painful. As she started to take a few steps down the gentle slope she guessed led to the castle, she instantly knew she wouldn't make it very far. She didn't show this though, and tried to look encouragingly at the others - as though her head wasn't threatening to black out again, and that her stomach didn't churn with every dizzy step she took. Nephy was sure her face was pale, so she kept her head down and looked at her feet. It helped a little.

"Felicity" she pipe up in her Spanish accent. She didn't know the girl well, but she knew about her secret and everyone else in school did. It wasn't typical to know most first years, since some like Felicity tended to stay to herself and others like her. "Gracia, thank you for helping her. It was really nice of you to do so" she ducked down to help Nephy up, she was so small so it be easy to help her. She thank Kate too, Felicity grabbed Nephy's journal. She quickly glared at Jennifer before she set off to assist Nephy with Kate.

"Oye, you have nothing to be sorry about. You were the victim not her, I'm just glad someone stop that mean girl." she whisper to her friend. Let's be glad that it was all over and Nephy didn't get as hurt badly. She would've kicked that girl if she did, or did something. Her Spanish blood boiled at the stupid girl, how can anyone be so mean as someone as small as Nephy?!

Kate wondered would they have to half carry this girl back.She really was ill and could barely stand.She seemed really embarrassed and Kate didn't blame her,she would be too if she were in the same position.Kate was guessing that the girl that was tied up had down something to the poor girl she was carrying,it seemed to have something to do with a journal but after that Kate had no clue what had happened.The girl who was tied up looked around the same age as herself but she couldn't place her.Kate made sure that she was carrying some of the girls weight because she didn't want her to faint right there and then. "If you don't mind my asking"She said walking down the hill towards the castle "But what actually happened?"She asked looking at the two girls.If they didn't want to say anything that was fine but Kate was kind of helping a girl whom she had never spoken too and she thought she deserved to be told what had happened.

Jen scowled at the prefect. No way was that stupid part goblin going to get away with this, whether the things in her journal had been about her or not. She was going to make sure she paid for being such an unthoughtful cow. 'Fine,' she hissed, her eyes glaring at Nephrolepis and her friends with pure hatred. Inside, she didn't really know what to feel. Shame, for picking on the girl. Half of her felt bad. The other half wanted to rip her throat out. As the girls began to make their way back towards the castle, she yelled out, 'This won't be the last you see of me,' although now the prefect knew she wasn't going to leave her alone so easily, it probably would be the last time she was allowed to come within an inch of the first year after all.

OOCOut of Character:
Short and lame but no different to usual I guess xD

Briar Smiled when Felicity introduced herself and thanked her for helping her. "Hey I may be a werewolf but i'm not the bad guy, this is what i am meant to do, keeping an eye out for the cubs. Incase you didn't know I'm the briar Rowan that the posters were about" she said, a slightly odd introduction but an introduction none the less. she was ghad that the Kate and Felicity both seemed to want to help Nephrolopis and watched as they made their way back around the castle towards the doors. she hoped that they would get there okay and not have any other incidents. she hadn't thought of the hospital wing as being far, when you ran as far as Briar did nothing in the grounds was far, but she guessed for a girl so small it would be a long way, It was a long way for her once a month when she was heading down to the cavern before a full moon.
By now the others were well away towards the castle and she looked at Jennifer. "Finite" she said and the bindings vanished. "sorry about that but i had to stop you hurting her." she said apologising, she could have stopped it physically but then he would be no less fighting than what had been going on. "so would you like to tell me what you think was written in that book that made you want to break Nephropis's arm?" she asked. she knew that the girl didn't have to tell her, but if she ended up having to report the incident she would like to know both sides, so she could make her own mind up as to what had happened. goodness when did i get so responsible she thought, a year or so ago she would have probably pulled Jennifer off her and not given her a chance to explain herself.

Jennifer flexed her arms, glad to be free of the ropes. She didn't release her glare on the prefect, however. When Briar asked her what Nephy had written, she simply shook her head. If she was honest, the book hadn't said much at all. As far as Jen could remember, it went a little like 'The girl from fourth year with too much makeup and crazy hair'. But bad or not, the little... thing had to right to write such things about someone else. But instead of saying this, she simply smirked at the prefect and kept shaking her head, to try and make her believe that it was so bad, she couldn't possibly repeat it. Unfortunately, it was going to take a lot of convincing to get anyone to believe that an innocent young girl like Nephy would have written anything nasty at all. She wouldn't hurt a thing, and what she'd written may not even have been done so for the purpose of hurting others. Jen put it down to the fact she hadn't been thinking straight when she had read the journal - perhaps she'd misread it or she was tired. But she wasn't kidding herself. Even she knew that the real reason she had lashed out was that she felt so insecure about herself. Still, there was no way she was going to tell something like this to a swotty brat like her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back