Guy Talk

Ares Taylor

Ares made his way up to the tower, he didnt feel like wandering around in case he ran into Hoshi, but he did wanna get out of the Ravenclaw dorms, the 'smart' atmoshere was getting to him.

He lifted himself up onto the windowsill and sat on it with his legs dangling on the other side. He couldnt believe how much had happened in the past few months and current events just left him so much more confused.

Oliver sauntered up the stairs of the North Tower in pursuit of his best friend. Something was wrong, and Oliver couldn't figure what. In the past couple of days, he'd noticed how distant Ares was, and when he was forced to come into contact with people, he always wore a facade. But Oliver always saw past it; he knew his best friend just as well as he knew himself.
Ares was sitting on the ledge of one of the windowsills, his legs hanging on the other side. Oliver shook his head, unsure what to say when he didn't even have a clue as to what was wrong in the first place.
"Ares?" Oliver said, breaking the silence of the North Tower. "You mind if I join you?"

Ares smiled at his friend. "No actually you cant" he teased. They hadn't really talked properly since Oliver got back and although he wanted to hear what Oliver had been up to, he wasnt sure if he felt like talking about what Oliver had missed at Hogwarts.

"So..." Ares began, "How've you been?"

Oliver smiled, grateful Ares' joke had killed the awkwardness he felt around them. It had been too long since they'd had a proper talk, and how was he to know beforehand that so much would have changed in the meantime?
"Well, you know me... been dandy is all. Spent more than half a year at home with my parents... yeah, it was great." Oliver's voice was laced with sarcasm. It had not been great at all. His parents had hosted for the decennial family reunion, and the Walden family were an unpleasant bunch, with their gleaming cloaks and expensive haircuts. Just a whole lot of testosterone mixed in with the lot due to the lack of any Walden daughters, for all of the Walden women had married into the family. Some weird genetic feat the Walden men carried; only being able to produce males. And they seemed to prefer it that way. The town however, thought the family was cursed. Whatever; Oliver didn't care much. Maybe that was why he was so unaccustomed to the company of females, because they were viewed so low by his paternal side of the family that was consistent of nearly all males.
With a sigh, Oliver shrugged, hoping that was explanation enough. He was not going to give all of his family's weird details to Ares, as it seemed there were more pressing matters to address now... What had happened to Ares while he'd been away? But, how do you ask someone what's wrong with them without seeming nosy, insensitive and rude? Oliver was not quite sure, once again, and so he figured the default way of reciprocating common greetings would suffice.
"Um... so how have you been?"

Ares nearly froze when Oliver asked him how he'd been, he thought of how Oliver answered his question "Spent most of last year home schooled, our family was helping Neitas family cause of her dad... And then this years been.... great" he answered thinking of things with Hoshi, Henric, Thomas/Ivan and Nia. He smiled at Oliver "Just great."

By answering Olivers question the way Oliver answered his, he knew he was buying time, Oliver wouldnt be able to hear anything about his dramas until Ares had heard every detail of Olivers absence and hopefully by then, it'd be time to leave.

Oliver chuckled and rolled his eyes. "You don't like to make conversation easy, do you?" Ares was stalling, how typical of him. Oliver grunted, muttering something incoherent about simply trying to be considerate. "Every ten years, the Waldens have a family reunion. This year, my parents were the hosts. So I've spent all this time trying to entertain my stuck up cousins and their stuck parents. That's all really. My parents kept me at home because I'm the... eldest son now..." Oliver's voice trailed off at the mention of the eldest son. Technically, by paperwork, Oliver was the eldest and only son of Patrick Walden. But in truth, Oliver had an older brother, William, who had long since emancipated himself from their parents, and ultimately disinherited. Swallowing down hard, Oliver hoped Ares wouldn't ask him about that because he wasn't allowed to talk about William, and quite frankly, he didn't want to. William had left him, and that was unforgivable.

Ares smiled and shrugged as Oliver caught on that he was procastinating.

The Ravenclaw boy froze, he had known Oliver since they were little kids and went to muggle school together. "But..." he started confused "What happened to William?" he asked quietly and wide-eyed.

Oliver smiled uncomfortably. "That's... a long story, and one I think I will tell you when I'm ready. But right now, you should really stop stalling." Oliver chuckled and took a seat on the windowsill next to Ares, only, Oliver kept his feet hanging on the inside of the North Tower. He wasn't much good with heights.
"So tell me... What's up? And I mean seriously."

Ares smiled and reluctantly nooded, Oliver had updated him alot, it was his turn. He looked down at the world beneath his feet. "Well there was this girl" he smiled wondering what Oliver would think. "I know, I know, I can't believe it either" he sighed. "But I started to really like her - she's kinda like us you know..." he went quiet for a moment.

"I... I thought she liked me back, And everything seemed perfect" he bit his lip. "Then I found out from this 'Gossip Magazine' that shes obsessed with this guy Henric Lee and she either kissed Thomas, or someone who looks like Thomas or something" Ares went quiet again, but he'd already started so there was no point in stopping now no matter what Oliver thought.

"So I told her whatever was happening couldn't happen... and now Im kind've seeing this other girl because I wanted to make Hoshi jelous and she wanted to make her crush jelous... but shes actually really nice and I think I might actually kinda have feelings for her too." Now that he was done, he wanted to quickly change the subject. "How are your parents?" he asked quickly "I havent seen them in AGES"

Oliver nodded thoughtfully as Ares explained. He should have seen that this would somehow involve a girl, believable or not. But what was this Gossip Magazine he spoke of? That sounded quite foreign to Oliver, though it should have been self-explanatory really.
Oliver had been just about to say something like, 'Wow, she must be either really pretty, or a very big trouble maker, or both, in order for you to have fallen for her...' until Ares mentioned a name. Hoshi. Oliver remembered her, how could he not? Her tricks had literally made him dance on his toes last year in the first floor corridor where he and Ares had been smashing rotten pumpkins at people from the open window down to the castle grounds. She was a trickster, and a very good one at that. Probably better than Oliver himself, though he liked to doubt that. Not to mention she was okay looking too. But that was not good news to Oliver. It only confirmed that, from what Ares had explained so far, Hoshi had used him. And now, she had crushed him.
Oliver frowned. Even though they were all only twelve years old, this was serious. This was exactly why girls were to be avoided. They portrayed beauty and elegance while at the same time they were really rotten inside, with morals only another female could understand. To mislead someone with fake feelings that really only existed for another, and then give that information to the whole world?
Ignoring Ares' diverting question about his parents, Oliver shook his head angrily. "She is dirt. Scum, and not worth your time." Oliver stated, his eyebrows narrowed down the middle. "This Henric boy sounds like a pretty boy. And I hate pretty boys." Oliver couldn't remember a Henric Lee from last year, but then again, he didn't remember anyone really.
At the mention of another girl, Oliver rolled his eyes. "Don't fall for her! This Hoshi girl is exactly why girls can't be trusted. Just use her to make Hoshi jealous, and then dump both of them." That sounded quite harsh, even coming out of Oliver's mouth, but he could not suppress his loathing thoughts. He was angry. And in a pathetic way, he was angry at himself. He should have been here for Ares. If he had, he could have easily led Ares away from this Hoshi girl, and then none of this would have happened. And to think Oliver had actually thought highly of this exact girl last year. Shaking his head regretfully, Oliver jumped to his feet. "I'm sorry I wasn't here man..."

Ares just smiled quietly as Oliver told him Hoshi was dirt and not worth his time, he narrowed his eyes though as his friend called Henric a pretty boy, Far from it he thought, but he decided not to interupt while they were in the midst of trying to make himself feel better.

The Ravenclaw boy nodded determindly as Oliver told him that girls cannot be trusted. "Make Hoshi jelous, and then get out" Ares repeated. "Im so sick of girls and drama" he muttured.

He threw his legs back over the ledge and turned to face his friend as Oliver apologized for not being there, Ares smiled at him sadly "Its not like I was there for you either, I think we both take the blame for that." He suddenly grinned "Besides, I learn for my mistakes, remember?" he said determined, although his thoughts were on pranks that failed that he found ways to make work.

Oliver was glad to see Ares coming around, his mood lifting slightly. Chuckling, Oliver said, "We're men. We can handle things on our own without having to rely on each other." Pausing though, the chuckle long gone from his now monotonous and hollow voice. "There just happen to be somethings we can't go through alone. Otherwise we're get slaughtered. For example girls, and wacko families." At the last bit, Oliver laughed again. Which was odd, as he couldn't remember ever feeling so suddenly happy, then angry, then happy again. But it was a nice change from the gloom and doom he'd felt for so long now.
"Okay, just explain one thing to me now. What is this.... Gossip Magazine you speak of? Is that some weird New Zealand thing?"

Ares laughed at Olivers comment on things they cant experience alone.

The Ravenclaw sighed "Dunno who started it, but its obviously someone from the school" he paused for a moment to think about the best way to describe the magazine "Its a magazine... full of gossip about all different people in the school" he remembered how people looked at him like they knew something the day he entered the great hall he frowned "I hadnt read it, until the day I noticed everyone was looking at me and laughing!!" he scoffed "I found out that Hoshi and Henric had actually been mentioned in the previous magazine, so everyone knew for a whole month!! and I didnt!!" he growled.

"Wow. That really sucks!" Oliver did not mean to state the obvious, but he could not think of any other way to say it. "Who is this Henric anyway? I've never met him before." Leaning against the wall of the North Tower, Oliver's brows creased in hint of deep thought. Who could this person be, printing gossip about students at their school in a magazine? And why haven't they been caught and punished? "I don't suppose you know who it is though? Must be someone who has a lot of connections with everyone if they know all this gossip about people in the school. Or they could just be some nosy prat whose life isn't interesting enough for their own amusement, so they resort to gossiping about others." Oliver shook his head. Though he was one to set jokes on people, he would never ever stoop so low as to spread gossip about anyone as a form of amusement. His jokes were merely for laughs, not for the tears and hurt that was obviously the result of this Gossip Magazine.

Ares sighed "Only met him once, with Hoshi and she went kinda weird." he paused "He's a slytherin" he continued but that was about all he knew about him.

The second year boy shook his head "I think gossip girl does have alot of connections but I'm not gunna bash her because, honestly I think everything she said was the truth" he frowned "and if it wasnt for the magazine, I wouldve never known the truth about Hoshi"

Oliver nodded; Ares was right. Gossip Girl? Oliver rolled his eyes. He should have figured this would have been the brainchild of another nasty girl. "Well, you are right about that. And in a weird way, I'm grateful to her for that. But her method... it's extremely blunt! To print people's secrets in a magazine and distribute it? That's just plain... mean." Oliver laughed at his lack of a better word. "Mean. Sounds like primary school stuff."

Ares thought for a moment, he raised an eyebrow "Yeah, I guess I woudl've prefered it if I hadnt found out after most of the school and it is REALLY immature" he agreed.

Oliver punched Ares lightly, chuckling. "You better be talking about the Gossip Girl being immature, otherwise, you're mean too!" It was good that Ares and Oliver were getting back to normal. But what would probably make him feel much better were if they put their heads together again and thought of a way to play a joke on someone. Someone who deserves it. Oliver glanced at Ares, "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

Ares laughed "Actuallly..." A moment passed as a look passed between the two friends, and great plans ran through Ares head he grinned "Am I?" he asked with a smirk "Hoshi or Gossip girl?"

"Both." Oliver chuckled as a plan formed in his head. When you put a Taylor and a Walden together, you were sure to get twice as much damage. "But right now, I think I could do for some food. Let's talk this over in the Great Hall."

The Ravenclaw smirked "I like how you think" he told his partner in crime. He nooded his head at getting food and he patted his stomach which growled as if on cue "Growing boys need alot of food" he joked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back