Good to see you again

Riley Smith

Riley was lying on the sofa reading some book that he had found in the appartment. He never really read but he had nothing ese to do as he was expecting Cyndi today. He was quite excited about seeing her agaon so he had dressed up but not too much that it would put her off. He turned the page then dropped it in the floor when he heard the door go. He smiled as he saw her but it didnt reach his eyes as it never did anymore. " Hey stranger, what kept you?"

Cyndi apparated to within a block from her apartment and walked swiftly towards the door. It was still quite windy out and Cyndi was starting to feel cold. It had probably been a bad idea on her part to stand around talking with Elliott by a bridge where the wind was especially strong. Turning the lock to her apartment, Cyndi smiled as she heard Riley's voice. She didn't see him or eat his great food as often as she liked.

"I know" she laughed, "I know...I got kind of sidetracked. It was pretty weird actually". She walked over to Riley to give him a hug. "How are things?" she asked nervously as she took a seat beside him. Last time they had spoken, Riley had shared some really bad news with her. His girlfriend Ana had given birth but the child had gone missing. She hadn't heard anymore than that though and she hoped he would share some good news with her.

Riley hugged her back hen sat next to her and shrugged. " Nothing much, things just keep getting worse. You know the usual." He chuckled slightly before lo " So what about you, anything new since we last spoke?" oking at her with his dark cold eyes.He didnt really speak to her much so when they did speak there was always lots to talk about

"Oh no" Cyndi said with a frown on her face. She knew that things must be tougher than he was admitting because Riley wasn't the kind of guy to burden someone else with his problems. Glancing at Riley for any signs of his being upset, Cyndi realised that something about Riley was different though she couldn't quite put her finger on it yet. It bothered Cyndi though and she was determined to figure it out and soon.

Still trying to figure it out, she thought about his question. Since they didn't see each other too often, the two of them often spent hours talking and catching up when they did see each other. She usually looked forward to it because Riley gave her some really great advice. "Um...did I tell you I broke up with Val?" she asked as she sat back, making herself comfortable and slipping her shoes off. "Well...he broke up with me actually" she admitted," but it was kind of for the best either way." She shrugged as Midnight jumped up onto the sofa to be petted.

Riley nodded, he scrated the back of his neck as he spoke. " Yeah you kind of did when we were at the leaky cauldron." He smiled ever so slightly at the memory. " So have you got anyone else then? Or are you still getting over val or are you just not interested anymore?" He looked at her curiously, he liked to know what was going on in her life. He liked to give her advise as it made him feel like he was actually helping someone instead of making their life worse or just taking their life full stop.

"Did I?" Cyndi blushed as he mentioned the Leaky Cauldron. That had not been a good day for her and she could barely remember anything she'd said or done that day. She had gotten so wasted that Riley had to help her home. Shaking her head, Cyndi replied, "Nah...I'm kind of enjoying the single life right now." She had met a few guys over the summer but nothing serious had developed, and Cyndi actually was alright with that.

"How about you?" she asked. "Are you and Ana officially back together now?" He had mentioned something about her in his owl but again she wasn't quite sure.

Riley shrugged. " You mentioned that you wanted to leave him because you never spoke so i kind of got the impression that you would break up soon. Me ana Ana are back together now and we are going strong again." He smiled as he thought about her. She was one of the only things that brightend up his face and made him smile so that it did reach his eyes. " Im thinking of asking her to marry me but im not sure if we are ready yet, not fter what has been happening to her." He sighed slightly

Cyndi smiled and her eyes widened when Riley said he was thinking of asking Ana to marry him. "Oh my gosh! Really?!" she asked excitedly. "I so better be invited." She hadn't met Ana yet but she knew that the girl made Riley happy. It was easy to see how much happier he made her.

"More than the stuff with the baby?" she asked gently, not wanting to push the subject, but still letting Riley know he could talk to her. After all, their friendship wasn't a one way street. She was perfectly happy giving her friend advice as she was receiving it from him.

Riley smiled slightly. " Of course your invited and i do believe its more than the baby as Ana only saw her for like a second. Her uncle was killed. She and her whole family are devistated by the event." He looked away from her as he spoke. He knew that his cold eyes wouldnt give anything away but he liked to be certain about it.

As Riley assured her that she would be invited, Cyndi nodded her head. She was thirsty so she took out her wand and summoned two cups into her hand. She listened, eyes widening as Riley told her all about Ana's problems. While she listened, Cyndi busied herself, putting the cups on the table and using the Aguamenti spell to fill them with ice cold water. She'd actually gotten pretty good at the spell.

"She's been through a lot. You both have" she said quietly. When Riley looked away, Cyndi figured it had to do with all of the stress he'd been under. After all, the poor guy had had his baby kidnapped and any problem that Ana had surely had to take its toll on him as well. "You poor things" she said as she patted Riley on the back. She wished she could help him in some way, but she had no clue who would be terrible enough to take an innocent child.

Riley looked back at Cyndi and smiled as he took her hand in his. " Thanks Cyndi, you have always been kind to me, i appretiate it." He looked down at her hand and sighed, he didnt know what to do next. Usualy he would try his luck with her but as she was a friend he would never make the first move. He looked at the cups on the table then back at Cyndi.

When Riley took Cyndi's hand in his, an odd feeling crossed her chest and she took in a sharp breath. His words were friendly enough though and Cyndi chided herself silently for thinking that he was trying anything. "Of course. You're my roommate...and friend" she said quietly, removing her hand softly from his grip. She didn't know who she was trying to convince more- herself or him.

Grabbing her cup so she had something to keep her hands occupied, Cyndi took a hasty drink of the cold water within. Midnight jumped in between the two and Cyndi couldn't help but be relieved. She had the feeling that a minute more and something would have happened that they would surely have regretted. Her hand reached out to pet the black cat gently.

Trying to return things to normal, Cyndi forced herself to look in Riley's dark eyes. "Hey Riley" she began, "I've been meaning to ask you...Can you teach me to cook something?" She smiled shyly. "I think it's kind of sad that I can't cook anything."

Riley shook is head and chuckled. " Yeah sure i will, i dont no how good i will be as a teacher but i will try." He stood up and walked into the kitchen. " Ok so what do you want to learn first. I can make stir fry, pasta with other rubbish in it, i can make trifle, cakes, i can make a lot of things." He laughed slightly. He felt at ease with Cyndi, it was like there was a little spark of his old jolly self inside of him when he was with her, kind of like when he was with Ana. He wasnt sure how muched he liked it but it was different.

Cyndi pointed her finger at Riley and pretended to be angry. Don't laugh"she warned him as she stood up and followed him into the kitchen, listening to everything he knew how to make. When he finished, Cyndi bit her lip and thought about it. "Where'd you learn to cook so well, Riley? Can we start with something easy?" she asked hopefully. Even though she knew spells to extinguish fires, Cyndi rather liked the apartment she shared with Riley and didn't want to ruin any of their furniture or have the place smell like smoke.

"Will I need my wand?" she asked, pulling it out of her pocket and laying it on the counter.

Rile smiled widely. " Yeah sure, some thing easy." He thought for a second. " We will make stir fry. Thats easy enough i suppose." He got everything out of the fridge and lay them out in order. " Ok well, you wont need your wand because thats cheating.Start by cutting these into small chunks." He handed her some chicken fillts and some peppers and carrots. He smiled then began on his pile. " You dont want them too small thought nor too large. I know thats a littl eawkward but you will get the hand of it soon im sure." He smiled then start cutting his food slowly so that Cyndi could watch and interpret.

As Riley explained what they would be making, Cyndi nodded her head and tried to follow his instructions. She left her wand on the counter because she definitely didn't want to be considered a cheater and moved closer to where he had laid out the food. She stared down at the meat with disgust. "Gross. I've got to touch that?" she asked with a frown on her face as she picked up a knife.

She knew it would be much simpler to just enchant the knife to cut the pieces perfectly, but knew that Riley would probably be keeping a close watch to be sure she didn't reach for her wand. Pulling some carrots toward her, Cyndi watched Riley's expert cutting and tried her best to mimic it. After, she reached for the peppers and did the same. Most of the pieces were the same size though a few were rather oddly shaped.

"That wasn't so bad" she said aloud as she looked up at Riley to see what he'd say. When all that was left was the chicken, Cyndi looked up at Riley. "Do I have to?" she complained.

Riley laughed then shook his head as he watched her cutting. " Dont be such a wimp. Its easy." He took hold of the meat and began to chop it then once it was done he put it in a seperate pile then got two pans out then put some oil in and let them heat up. " It isnt as bad as you think you know." He laughed then waited for her to do it so he could show her the next but

Cyndi stuck out her tongue as Riley called her a wimp. ”Am not” she said with a chuckle and reached tentatively for the meat. It was cold and gross, but she reached for her knife and then cut it up. After she was done, Cyndi looked up to see that Riley had already taken out two pans and put oil in his.

She stepped closer to him so that they were standing side by side and watched as the oil heated up. “Where did you learn to do all this?” she asked, glancing sideways at her roommate.

Riley shrugged. " I guess i just had a lot of free time as i grew up and i decided to learn something useful. I just read books and then added more things as i went along. Its easy once you get the hand if it." He smiled then stuck the vegetables in then waited for a while before putting the meat in. He watched it simmer and every now and then he gave it a stir so that it didn't burn. He turned to Cyndi with a smile. " You with me so far?"

(Sorry wrong character.)

Cyndi mirrored what Riley was doing or at least tried to as best she could. The smell of the room grew thick with the fragrance of stir fry and Cyndi closed her eyes as she inhaled the smell. She nodded her head. "So far, so good" she said. With a nudge to her roommate with her elbow, Cyndi added, "I have a great teacher though."

Riley laughed slightly. " But i have a real teacher next to me." He returned her nudge with a smile. He picked up the fresh noddles and tipped half into the pan and then passed Cyndi the other half. " Only about five minutes left." He chuckled then got some sauce and poured a little in. " This will just give it that extra bit of flavouring." He slid it to her then stired the food around the pan.

Cyndi smiled and then took the noodles when Riley passed them to her, placing them into her pan. "Good because it smells amazing" she said with a smile as her stomach grumbled in agreement. She giggled, knowing that it was loud enough to hear. "See?" she said with another chuckle.

As they waited for the food to be done, Cyndi leaned her elbow on the counter and watched Riley work his magic. "So, I'm thinking of going away during the holiday...I know, I know, I just got back to work, but I'm trying to plan everything now. Do you have any suggestions or where I should go?" she asked. Cyndi had traveled a lot as a kid with her father moving them from place to place whenever his job required him to, but she knew it would be a totally different experience to travel as an adult. She was excited about the prospect of traveling because recently the only travels she'd done was when she'd gone to weddings for her friends. This trip would have no purpose except for her to enjoy herself.

Riley thought for a second before giving her a slight shrugged. " I dont know. How about Italy?" Riley wasnt really good when it came to places to go. He sighed as he tipped the food onto a plate. " It should be done now." He picked up his plate and stuck it in the fridge as he wasnt hungry yet so would probably have it later. " How does it taste?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back