Going Crazy

Siddalee Simon

OOC First Name
Hannah Banana
Wand
Holly Wand 11" Essence of Phoenix Feather
Siddalee ran around crazily on the lawn, before plonking herself down on the grass. It was cold, and Siddalee could see her breath rising before her like steam, but she had needed to run around and go crazy. She was overly energetic (she was only ever really still when sleeping, and even then she often sleepwalked) and being cooped up in the castle hadn't been good for her short temper, so Siddalee had come outside to let off some steam. She rolled around on the cold grass, losing her hat and scarf and making her cloak crooked in the process. Then Siddalee lay on her back and laughed at the joy of being outside and being able to just go absolutely insane. :p

Vera was one of the most energetic people she knew. While her mother, Albie, and even, to an extent, her father, were quite content to stay quiet and peaceful, Vera had to keep moving, and peace was simply maddening.
And that is why, when there was a lull in the Gryffindor common room (all the older students, and even her fellow first years, seemed to be busy studying), Vera had seized the opportunity to run out in to the cold. Winter was ending, and Spring was, well, springing, but it was still cold.

Now, the lawn was the very reason Vera knew she'd love Hogwarts. Home in Melbourne was so small, and they had no yard, and it was horrible. Okay, the place was nice, but for Vera, she felt so cooped up. Here, however, the castle was so big, and the grounds were amazing. And the food was to die for. Vera suspected she'd rarely have reason to be bored.

Seeing a girl she recognised from her house and year running around, Vera sprinted over to her, a grin on her face. "Hullo!" she started, beaming. "It's Siddalee, isn't it? I remember ye from the sorting and I think I saw ye in the common room," Vera stated, sort of questioningly.

Sidda saw another girl from her house and year coming towards her, and smiled when the girl said she remembered her.
"Yup!" she replied. "I'm Siddalee Simon. But you can call me Sid. Or Sidda. Or Lee. Or any other nicknames you can think of." She studied the girl for a moment. "And you're...Vera! That's it! You're the girl with the awesome Scottish accent!" Sidda laughed.
"I love accents, but I don't have one and I'm not good at pretending. It's a shame, because that would be awesome. Oh, well." And she laughed again. "Isn't it great to be outside and running around?"

Vera beamed when the other girl - Sidda - remembered her. "Aw, thanks!" she responded, regarding the comment about her accent. "Ach, I hope I get to keep me accent, I've been livin' in Australia and it's toned down a wee bit," she admitted. "I wish I could do other accents, though, the closest I get is Irish...ish..." she said, modifying her accent slightly to a fairly mediocre Irish accent. "Where ye from, Sidda?" Vera asked, curious. She wasn't all that good at placing accents, despite her own. Probably because she wasn't the best at listening. But she tried, really, she did.
"It's awesome! I was so glad when I came to Hogwarts, cause of the grounds. And flying! I'm really looking forward to flying!"

Sidda grinned back at Vera. "I can't wait for flying either! Although, knowing me, I'll probably fall off and end up in the Hospital Wing" Sidda laughed. "I'm actually from New Zealand. I was born in Barcelona and lived in Australia for a couple of years when I was little, but both my parents are from New Zealand. It's weird though. I'm, like, the only Kiwi around here. It's really odd." Sidda paused, musing, then scooped up her hat and scarf. "Race you to that tree!" she called over her shoulder to Vera. She laughed at the exhillaration of running flat out and not being told off by a prefect.

Vera chuckled at the comment about falling off a broom. "I think it's like riding a horse...except the brooms don't cost anything to feed, and they're smaller...and ye can use them whenever and in the sky...actually there's probably nothing similar, hey?" Vera giggled. She missed horseriding, but she was sure brooms would be a fair substitute. After all, they could fly! And they were a lot smaller than a horse, too. Vera simply hoped that she wasn't too bad at it. It would be plain embarassing if she couldn't fly. "Kiwi, huh? That's so cool!" Vera exclaimed. It was so exciting to meet people from all around the world...she wondered if she'd meet any other Scots around here. "And Barcelona...I've only ever been to Glasgow and Melbourne. And now here!" She grinned as Sidda got up and ran. "Yer on!" she exclaimed, building up to a sprint and running off behind her, just managing to keep up.

Sidda flew across the lawn, trying to keep ahead of Vera, but in the end they reached the tree together. Sidda collapsed onto the ground. "I think we set a record!" she gasped, and turned so she was sitting cross-legged, facing Vera. "Yeah, Barcelona's coll, but I can't remember it. I was born there, but only because my parents were on holiday and I arrived early. Funny, because I'm always late for everything." Sidda chuckled.

"But what's Glasgow like? I've never been there, but I've always wanted to go to Scotland." Sidda ripped of her gloves and fell onto her back so she was looking up at the branches of the huge willow tree they were sitting beneath. "This is the best place in the world!" Sidda laughed and thought about Glasgow, and her new friend. She knew Vera was her friend. They seemed alike, and Sidda liked the fiery Scottish lass.

Gasping, Vera practically lunged for the tree, then landed on the ground. Luckily it was fairly soft. Chuckling, Vera pulled herself up to a sitting position and grinned at Sidda. "I'm pretty sure we did," she laughed, listening to Sidda's story. "Hah! My parents never go anywhere, I think Dad had to convince Mum to go to the hospital for me," she admitted, laughing at the memory of when her dad told her this story. "But I'm always out and about, moving anywhere and everywhere." It was true, her family seemed so stationary, and Vera was just a bundle of energy. Her dad always joked that Vera got all the energy in the family. It certainly seemed true.

"Ah, Glasgow's beautiful!" Vera mused, remembering what it was like to be back home. "We lived close to the city, and Dad would take me out to the clubs - during the day - and he knew all these old guy musicians, and my granddad has a farm outside the city...you have to go there one day!" she exclaimed, nodding. "But yeah, this place is beautiful! My brother goes to Hogwarts in Scotland, and I thought he was ex...ex...exaggurating, that's the word. But he wasn't!" Vera was quite the talker, because if she wasn't moving her body, she was moving her mouth. "I don't know much about New Zealand though, is it nice?"

"Oh, I will go there some day! It would be so...awesome!" Sidda was ecstatic. She was making a new friend, a new SCOTTISH friend no less, and Sidda had always wanted to go to Scotland.
"Yeah, It's beautiful here, but I kinda wish the castle was a bit warmer! But it's all so amazing! Beautiful grounds, cool, old castle...I just wish it would snow!" Sidda said, after listening to Vera talk about her brother. "Yeah, New Zealand's beautiful! We have really cool forests, and beautiful beaches, and really cool mountainous landscapes...my parents live in a house on a small farm (although we don't have many animals), but the bush is just five minutes - walking - away, so I always used to go there and explore! It's so green, and quiet..." Sidda trailed off, remembering whole days spent exploring the bush behind their house, getting lost and only just getting back in time for dinner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back