Open Glum

Benicio Matos

Blood Status
Unknown
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Benicio sat on the small shelf created near the window, his legs pulled up tight towards his chest and his cheek resting against the cool cement wall as he looked out over the grounds. He was feeling sorry for himself and full of regret. Attending the event at Madam Puddifoot's had been a terrible mistake. No one wanted to talk to him. Well, that wasn't true, one guy did, but Beni had convinced himself it was because all of the other tables had been full and he'd been forced to.

The Hufflepuff had never had trouble making friends the way he was at Hogwarts New Zealand. Never. And he'd gone to many schools before in the muggle world. The first year wondered if perhaps he wasn't cut out for this magical world. Benicio sighed heavily. At least the moon looked nice tonight.

The speed-friending event had left Teddy with mixed feelings. While he had a good conversation with one person, it hadn't been the bustling social experience he'd expected. As he made his way up the North Tower, lost in thought, a silhouette against the wall caught his eye. It was Benicio, and Teddy smiled at the sight.

He greeted him with genuine warmth, "Hey there, Benicoco!" he called out, the playful nickname slipping off his tongue. "How's it going?" Teddy thought the Hufflepuff was far from his common room tonight but couldn't blame him for coming up here for the views.

Benicio was pulled out of his thoughts by someone greeting him. He looked over, a genuinely happy expression as he spotted a fellow first year. A second later, what he'd been called registered. "Didja just call me Benicoco, Teddy Bear?" he laughed.

The first year shrugged, "Just enjoying the view, I guess. I just spotted a group of people sneaking into the forest" he revealed, mischief in his eyes as he wondered what they were getting up to. "What about you?"

"Yeah, is that okay, Beni-coconut?" He extended the nickname with a grin.

Teddy returned a nonchalant shrug. "Oh, you know, the usual, not much," he replied casually. But then, "No way!" Teddy exclaimed, he rushed over to the window to see and feigning urgency said, "We must alert a Professor immediately if students are entering the forest!" He turned to Benico, catching the mischief in his eyes, "Unless you would rather join them that is?"

Benicio pretended to think for a second and then gave a half shrug and a nod. "I guess so" he replied with a grin. He was already forgetting his momentary feelings of loneliness with this conversation, and it got even more interesting a moment later. Benicio jerked backwards, alarmed that Teddy was thinking of telling a professor. That's not why he had revealed the information at all. He didn't want to get them in trouble. For all he knew, they had permission to be in the forest.

A moment later he realized Teddy was joking. He pretended to think for a moment, and then shrugged his shoulders. "By the time we get there, they'll probably be gone. But I would be up for our own adventure in the forest" he added with a mischievous grin. "Have you been yet?"

Teddy burst into laughter at Benicio's initial reaction. He'd managed to catch Benicio off guard for a brief moment. When Benicio realised that Teddy was just playing around and he suggested their own venture to the forest, Teddy could tell he'd hit the right note.

"I've kind of been, just past the boundary line if that counts. I haven't ventured properly inside yet," Teddy replied, a playful twinkle in his eye. "Sounds like a plan, Beni-coconutty!" The nicknames was getting looser, "Did you want to go now?"

Benicio realized that he had not been making the most of his year. His eyebrows rose and a look of awe crossed his face as he heard from Teddy just how close he'd been. It was impressive. "Cooooool" he breathed out. Benicio probably should have spent more time pondering the question, especially since he knew the consequences of entering the forest. The Headmaster had laid them out quite clearly. But he reacted, nodding his head. "Heck yea!" he exclaimed, scrambling off the small ledge and getting a running start to the steps. "Race you theeeeere" he called back over his shoulder as he began racing down the steps.

"Race you there!" Teddy accepted the challenge with a wide grin. The excitement was infectious. He ran after Benicio, his footsteps echoing on the stone steps. However, in his eagerness, Teddy lost his footing. He stumbled past Benicio and tumbled down an entire flight of stairs. At the bottom, he picked himself up, a bit disheveled but with a good-natured grin. "I'm okay!" Teddy called out, laughing as he brushed some dust off his robes, thankful that he hadn't been seriously hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back