Ghosts or no, The sunset is still beautiful.

Kailey Harrington

OOC First Name
Kelsey
Wand
12 1/2" Firm Fir Wand with the essence of Dragon Heartstring
Kailey didn't spend much time up at the top of the north tower, It was pretty understandable. This place had always been a place of intense emotion for her. She had only been up to the highest point in the castle once after the break up, after reading 'The Secret Life of Bees' a day or two before summer break the year before. As a way to kind of let go of her ties to Njord. She didn't have a wailing wall like May but throwing the tiny slips of paper that had all of her favorite memories written on them, and some of the darker times off of the North tower that night had been therapeutic for the fifteen year old Kailey.

On that cold April evening over a year Kailey was moving in a fog. Her body on auto pilot as she maneuvered the several stairs up the what she had mistaken for the Ravenclaw tower. She was near the top when she had realized her mistake but kept on anyways. She wasn't going to let memories keep her from finishing her journey now that she had walked so much to get there. Besides, it was nearing night time and the sun was bound to set soon. She opened the entrance to the top of the tower and shut it behind her. She let out a small gasp at the sight laid out before her, she had forgotten just how much you could see from this high up.

In a few steps she was on the other side of the tower and leaning against the stone of the towers top. The sun was about partway under the horizon and the sky was a kaleidoscope of every shade of Red, Yellow, Orange, and Purple. Broken up only by a few gray clouds that floated along lazily in the distance. It looked more like a painting than an actual sunset. The stones on her ring caught what light was left and reflected it back, glittering brilliantly. She twiddled with it on her finger, twisting it back and forth as she was still not used to having it there, observing the different ways it caught the light.

She righted the ring again and stuck her hands into her pockets. Focusing her gaze once again on the amazing scene before her. In a way she felt it had been the right idea to come up here tonight, Kind of like the closure she never got seeing as he left the school before they could sew things up cleanly. She felt no nostalgia for what had been. Only peace, Kailey was going to marry Demitris after she graduated, and all was calm in her life.

It was a chilly Autumn evening and as it was nearing sundown the air held even more of a chill. Kat threw on some clothes appropriate for the weather before heading out of Gryffindor house to make her evening rounds, making sure that any straggling students were heading back to their respective houses. It was a peaceful evening and the sky was painted with the most exquisite colors she'd ever seen.

After leaving the owlery, finding no one there except for the birds, Kat saw a figure heading towards the North Tower. Sighing heavily she headed after it. Upon entering she saw that it was one of her best and dearest friends. "I'm assuming you're making your rounds to, eh?"

Kaileys hands left her pockets and her arms were crossed in front of her chest as she stared off into space, not really thinking of anything in particular. Choosing instead to just fall back into the comfortable fog that had brought her up here in the first place, she really paid no mind to the fact that she was supposed to be back in The Ravenclaw tower soon, which was quite a walk from here. She had a near spotless record and one instance wouldn't kill her. The sky was still oddly bright for the time of evening.

A few minutes passed in this manner before she heard the door open and shut softly behind her. She paid it no mind, two people could easily share the tower without being disturbed. Which was exactly what Kailey planned to do when a voice addressed her, causing her to jump slightly. She knew who it was before she even turned around. Her hands at her sides she pushed a piece of hair out of her face with the ringless hand. "Well... As far as you know I am." Kailey answered with a smirk, remembering she technically was scheduled to make rounds tonight.

"That's what I figured," Kat said, playfully sticking her tongue out at her friend. Other than the time they were in classes together Kat regretfully didn't get to see much of Kailey these days. She remembered a time when she, Kailey and Rhyspa were inseparable, but now it seemed that the three, while still friends, had made lives outside of the trio. "What are you doing up here? I could've sworn I was slated to do rounds up here tonight," she asked, hoping she'd read the schedule correctly.

"Of course, what else would I possibly be doing when I have my duties as a Prefect?" she responded, letting out a chuckle. Most of the times she did have that attitude to an extent. She was aiming to be Head Girl next year but knew it would more than likely go to Kat or Lemi, but of course everyone had to take a break every once in a while. "You probably are, To be quite honest I forgot I was on rounds tonight. But now that I think about it... I'm supposed to be roaming the 3rd through 5th floor corridors. Basically try to catch people making out, but seriously who wants to do that? Wandered into a closet to take a nap on my last rounds because I didn't get any sleep the night before and caught two people in a situation I never wanted to see." Kailey answered, ending with a small shudder, hoping Kat wouldn't inquire further.

"I'll just take your word for it. Though the only thing I ever get to see is silly first years trying to pull stupid pranks or sneak out," she said, actually feeling thankful for that fact. "I'm sure it's fine. Tell you what, you help me finish my rounds up here and I'll help you with yours. It'll make them go by faster and it'll give us a chance to catch up," Kat suggested, thinking that it was a pretty decent idea.

"Oh be thankful for that, They might do alot of crap. But as you know they're horrible at it and way too gullible for their own good. My shifts pretty boring, and when I do catch people... Eugh, Catching your sister in a broom closet is one of the most awkward things ever." Kailey said, the last bit more to herself than her friend Especially when she looks just like you and is going at it with some guy who isnt your Fiance. she added mentally. When she suggested they help each other with their rounds Kailey quickly nodded her assent, "That my friend, is the best idea I've heard all day." she responded, happy to both make the patrols go by faster and spend some much needed time with one of her best friends.

They finished making sure that everything was the way it was supposed to be and made the trek down to the fifth floor. As they walked Kat looked at Kailey and asked, "So what's new with you? I hate we don't get to spend that much time together anymore."

After they had finished making sure everything was alright in Kats area of monitoring they made their way down to the 5th floor corridor, chatting happily along the way. After a few minute of this Kat asked Kailey whats been going on in her life lately, here it was, the perfect opportunity to tell Kat about her engagement... but she hesitated, knowing how much Kat had went through lately. Her feelings for Chace (Though Kailey didn't know just how deep they were), and Lily marrying Sumner. Even if she didn't feel for him in that way anymore that was still something. "Well, in Brightstone on Sunday..." Kailey started before seeing a figure at the end of the hall. "Hold that thought." she said before running off after it. A few minutes later she was back, "Just a third year trying to set up a paint balloon catapult. I swear that class is as bad as the first years." she said, brushing some hair out of her face, her ring sparkling in the moonlight through a nearby window.

Kat laughed as Kailey took off after what she presumed was a student. When her friend returned she replied with, "Yeah, I think they get wo..." She trailed off catching a glimpse of something shiny in the moonlight. "Oh you have got to be friggin kidding me...Kailey what the hell is that on your finger," Kat asked pinching the bridge of her nose. If it was what she thought it was then she was going back to the North Tower and flinging herself off of it. Grabbing Kailey's hand, Kat examined the bauble carefully placed on her friends left ring finger. "Holy $h*t Kailey...how long were you going to keep this a secret?"

Kailey let Kat speak about the students, not wanting to interrupt her, deciding to wait and tell her when she was done, more to give herself some time than anything. But unfortunately for her the stones on the ring caught Kats attention as they reflected the moon beaming in through the window, very nearly full. Before she could say anything Kat had started again, her reaction being what Kailey had feared. Kat grabbed her hand and inspected the ring further and Kailey took this time to answer, though it was really kind of obvious. "Erm... Well Kat." she started, "That's my engagement ring." she said, trying not to flaunt her happiness in Kats' face. "Well, that was actually what I was going to tell you before balloon boy distracted me. Demitris proposed to me in Brightstone on Sunday... and I accepted." she said, her voice low.

Engagement ring. Those two words replayed over and over in Kat's mind until she felt like she might actually be sick. She released Kailey's hand and rubbed her temples with her index fingers. That made three. First Kiera, then Lily, and now Kailey. If Andy or 'Spa got engaged any time soon Kat had a feeling that her poor head just might possibly explode. Pacing back and forth Kat tried to let it all sink in. So this would be how she'd spend the rest of her year, basking in the glow that her friends were giving off from their recent engagements/weddings.

You selfish cow she thought as she tried to come to terms with the way her love life had turned out. A small, but genuine smile curled on Kat's lips. Sighing heavily she wrapped her arms around her friend, hugging her tightly. "Sorry for the freak out...I'm done I promise," she said apologetically. Gently she once again took Kailey's hand in hers and examined the ring more carefully, letting out a low whistle. "Good grief girl...that thing is HUGE," Kat said as she admired the ring as it glistened in the moonlight.

Kailey's arm fell back to her side when Kat released her hand. Kailey looked at her, both of them remaining silent. She watched as Kats hands made their way up to her head to from the looks of it get rid of a forming headache, pacing around the room. Kailey had known that this wasn't the best time to drop such news on her friend, seeing how her love life was at the moment but she hadn't expected a reaction so... animated. But Kailey supposed if all of her friends were getting engaged and married around her she would be a bit melancholy too.

But she loved her friends too much to be upset over such a happy event in their lives for long. This seemed to be the case for Kat as well as Kailey was soon wrapped in a hug that she gratefully returned, "Don't worry about it... Lily just married Sumner, Kieras engaged, and now so am I... That has to be quite a bit to process." Kailey said to her friend as the hug ended and Kat once again took her hand to observe the ring. When Kat started to gawk at it's size Kailey agreed "My eyes probably bugged out of my head when I first saw it. Well, I was more shocked at what it meant first but damn... One thing about Demitris, he sure as hell doesn't do things halfway." she said, hoping nothing she said from this point on would send Kat back into freak out mode.

"It's a bit to chew off and swallow that's for sure, but nothing I can't handle...I suppose I've been through worse," she said with a smirk on her face. Kat still couldn't believe it. It really seemed like just yesterday that she and Kailey were wide-eyed first years having a snowball fight out on the lawn and now one of her best friends was engaged to be married. Could they all have possibly grown up so fast? It didn't seem possible, but it looked like indeed they had.

"That's the friggin truth. Might want to remember to slip it off before you do any swimming...you'll sink straight to the bottom," she joked, nudging her friend playfully with her elbow. "So have you two set a date? Please tell me you're at least waiting until you're done with school," Kat said, hoping that this wouldn't be yet another one of her friends to wed while they were still students.

Kailey listened to Kats answer and not having much to add she remained silent. Kat mentioned sinking to the bottom of the lake and Kailey laughed "I know you mean that as a joke, but I'm honestly a bit afraid of that." she said lightly, obviously kidding. When asked if they had set a date Kailey shook her head, "No date set, we both agree that I should be out of school and settled before we marry. Since that isn't for atleast a year theres no real point to setting a date yet. That'll probably start in six or seven months." Kailey answered, hoping the news that she wasn't going to run off and get married right away was a bit comforting to Kat at the least.

It was amazing just how fast their time at Hogwarts New Zealand had passed. "Wow Kat, sudden flashback but remember in first year those snow witches we made? Had it really been Six years Kat? It seems like it was just yesterday... Wow, From snow witches on the lawn to talk of weddings, well... serious talk of weddings. Do you have any idea where the time went?" she asked her friend, blown nearly off of her feet by a wave of Nostalgia.

Kat breathed a sigh of relief when Kailey told her that she wouldn't be getting married any time soon...it seemed to make things a bit more bearable. She laughed and shook her head as her friend recalled the day that they made snow witches on the lawn. "I was just thinking about that. Didn't Rhyspa hit Professor King with a snowball that day," she asked grinning as she thought about it. Time really had flown by...it was almost surreal. "I think the time disappeared while we were all off trying to find ourselves...funny thing is, I don't know myself any better than I did six years ago. I guess in some ways I'll still always be that shy, timid little klutz that was afraid of her own shadow," Kat stated, even though she knew deep down that she had changed and done a complete one eighty from where she used to be. She didn't know what had happened that had changed her so much. Yes she did...life happened. Everyone had changed, it was just how things were meant to be.

Kailey laughed when Kat mentioned Rhyspa hitting Professor King with a snowball. "She did!" Kailey exclaimed giggling. "He was more easygoing back then... I wonder what he'd do if we tried that little trick today." Kailey wondered aloud, nearly cracking up in the deserted corridor. When Kat answered her question she nodded, that sounded very right. "You know, I think you're right... I don't really know myself much better either. Though I really do hope I've gotten braver, I was a wimp in first year. Also... I don't know about shy or timid miss walk across the quidditch pitch in my underwear. Though even I have to admit you're still klutzy, but so am I. If anything thanks to these too long legs it's gotten worse." Kailey said. The past six years had been full of so many highs and lows, twists and turns and she came out of it a better person. Her and Kat were thinking the same thing, Life happened and changed everyone in it's wake.

"What can I say...I've never been one to back down from a bet and well this time I lost. You can thank Sumner for that little display," Kat said with a smirk, thinking back to the day on the pitch. I hope everyone enjoyed the show she thought with a snort. "And I'm pretty sure we'd get detention for the rest of our time here if we tried that again. We're not the same absolutely adorable, angelic little eleven year olds that we once were. He'd punish us for sure now," she stated laughing, wondering just how much trouble they would get into.

Slowly they wandered down to the third floor corridor. "So far so good here," she said, seeing that everyone had pretty much cleared out of the corridor

"Well Sumners choice of underwear that day sure was... interesting." Kailey responded with a smirk "By the way you should tell Fenton to quit hanging off of the goal posts." Kailey added "Unless of course he's hanging off of one while Ravenclaws trying to score a goal." she added, whistling an innocent tune. "Yeah, Something tells me we couldn't puppy dog eye our way out of it anymore. As funny as it would be I don't fancy having detention for the rest of the year." Kailey agreed wholeheartedly. Soon enough they were at the 3rd floor corridor, "Yeah... Not much goes on in this part of the castle. The towers and the grounds are the hot spots it would seem." she noted

"Lily did an awesome job picking out those pretty little panties if I do say so myself," Kat said laughing so hard she nearly brought tears to her eyes. Turning her nose up she looked at Kailey and said, "He pulls another stunt like that and I'll push his a$$ off myself and hope he breaks something...like his neck."

Once they had made sure the entire third floor was secure Kat looked at Kailey and said, "Well looks like we got that done really fast. I've never made rounds that fast before. We should pair up and do this every time it's our turn to make rounds." Seeing that it was now dark out she figured that they should probably head back to their respective houses. "Gah, even with prefect status we can't get away with staying out much past curfew. You ready to head back up...you have a longer hike than I do," she asked her friend.

"She really did." Kailey agreed, laughing even harder now. "Well... Maybe not his Neck." she said, "An arm or two will do!" she joked, "But nah, Trista would probably attack he if she heard that, and having to kick my sisters ass wouldn't be too good." she said, whistling 'innocently' as they walked. After a little while they were through both the Fourth and Third floors, wow it had been fast. Rounds had never went by quicker, even though they were both doing double duty! "I haven't either, and to think we covered twice as much ground in half the time! We may just have to split head girl next year." she said with a laugh, "But nah, I think either you or Lemina will get it, funny that the Ravenclaw of the bunch doesn't get good enough grades." she added, chuckling. "But yeah, we should probably head back up to our houses before a professor comes out here and busts out asses." she agreed

"We could totally split Head Girl next year. That would mean half the work for us each to do," Kat said laughing, having completely forgot that the selections for Head Boy and Head Girl would be coming up soon and that just made her even more nervous. As they reached the seventh floor Kat turned and gave Kailey a hug saying, "Congratulations again Kailey...he better be good to you or I'll kick his ass you know that right. I'll see you in class tomorrow. Nighty night!" With that Kat turned and headed into Gryffindor house.

"You can take the graduation speech!" Kailey exclaimed, giving a small shudder "Prestigious position or not I don't think I could give a speech infront of that many people without passing out." she said before adding, "But you could, better you get it." with a small shudder she thought of giving a speech infront of so many people. "Though to be honest I don't know how they'll pick them, our year is a bunch of clowns." she ended as they started up the stairs to the seventh floor. She returned Kats hug and smiled, "Thanks Kat. If he ever needs his ass kicked I'll make sure to enlist you. See you tomorrow, Goodnight Kat!" she exclaimed before walking the rest of the way to Ravenclaw tower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back