Getting out

Steph Shirley

Wand
'Yew Wand 13 1/2" Essence of Phoenix Feather'.
Steph walked out of Hogwarts, she looked up at the sky, it was blue, not a cloud up there, but cold. She almost regretted wearing a skirt. But not wanting to go back into the castle, she walked out of the gates.

When she arrived in Brightstone she looked around the busy streets, grinning slightly, she headed into a shop, taking as much, and anything she could find and stuffing it into her bag. She had no problem hiding the stolen things, her bag looked as it had when she entered the shops. It had a charm on it, so it was bigger inside than it appeared. Her brother had done it for her way back.
Steph did the same for other shops, not caring what she took. She didnt even want any of it.

When Steph was satified that she had enough stolen things in her bag to brag about. She walked over to a bench, and sat down. Opening her bag and taking out a large bottle of butterbeer. She sipped at it, scowling at passers by. Steph didnt care what people thought of her. She didnt care that most things she did these days were wrong. Skipping class, pulling pranks on anyone who was stupid enough to fall for it. Staying out in the grounds all night, and shop lifting. She did all of these things to rebel against her parents, she hated them. Hated everything about them. After all they were the reason her brother died. They are the reason Steph doesnt have a home. The reason Stephs life is messed up.
She sighed, and drank some more butterbeer.

Tired of shopping with her mother all day in Brightstone, Hannah was surprised and relieved to see a familiar face, Steph. Well they had only met once, but immediately became great friends. She got rid of her mother, by sending her to another shop in which her mother could spend hours, and walked over to the bench Steph was sitting on. 'Steph hi!', she grinned at her friend, but her grin soon faded as she noticed something was wrong with her. She sat down next to Steph, not needing to say anything before steph explained what was the matter.

Steph had thrown the empty bottle on the floor, and now sat with her knee's pressed against her body, her feet on the bench. She looked up when she heard a familer voice, Hannah.
'Hannah! Hi,' Steph said brightly, sliding her feet back to the floor and smiling. All traces of sadness and deep thought went.
'How've you been?' She asked her old friend, smoothly moving her bag full of stolen goods off the bench, so Hannah wouldnt see them.

'Im great thanks, you? sorry i haven't kept in touch, had quite a lot going on'
Stephs sudden brightness and smile didn't quite fool her though.
There was still a hint of sadness about her, but she thought if Steph wanted to tell her her worries, she would, its not good to push someone as they will just bury it inside themselves even further, so, being thoughtful she didn't mention anything about it.
She glanced over to the shop her mother was browsing in, but she still seemed deep in thought about what she needed to buy, so Hannah let out a sigh of relief knowing she would be able to spend a little while longer with her friend.

'Ive been.. good.' Steph sighed slightly as she said the word 'good'. It was a blatent lie, she had been as far as good as you could possibly get. But she didnt want to put a downer on the reunion.

Steph noticed Hannah gaze toward a woman, browsing in a shop. 'Is that your mother?' She asked, looked at Hannah, a soft smile on her face.

Hannah was torn in two, part of her wanted to console her friend and ask her to tell her everything, but another part of her wanted to act like she didn't notice her friends weary look and carry on as normal. Yet again, the part which acted like she didn't notice anything, won.
'Is that your mother?' she heard her friend ask with a smile playing on her lips.
'Yeah, it is.' Hannah sighed, her mother babied her what felt like too much, and she could hardly breathe. She knew if her mother realized she was outside with a friend she herself didn't know, she would freak out.
'Sometimes I wish.. I wish that I could escape you know? leave my mother for a while and be free.' Hannah looked up at Steph, then looked at the floor, embarrassed by her own mother.

Steph watched Hannah sigh and frowned, she bit her toungue, what she wanted to say would probably sound spiteful to Hannah. So she changed her wording, 'Make the most of it, you never know when they are gonna leave you. Dont let your mother go, never let her go.' Steph chewed on her lip, she had lost her own mother. She had not died, but she hated Steph, almost as much as Steph hated her mother. She knew it was to late to kiss and make up, their relationship was too broken, it was impossible to fix..

/lameo :/\

Hannah realized saying this had touched a tender spot, and decided enough was enough. A friend who seemed to be this lost should be taken care of, not dismissed.
'Yeah, you never know what you've got until you've lost it? I've heard that many times before' she shrugged. Hannah was never going to loose her mother, even if she actually wanted to.
Her mother was at the till in the shop now, buying several things she probably didn't need. Now Hannah was either going to have to leave Steph abruptly so her mother didn't meet her, or, she could do the brave thing and let her mother meet her long lost friend.
For once, she was feeling out of character, so instead of getting up and walking away from Steph to her mother, like she would have usually done, she waited for her mother to come to her, because she wanted more time with Steph, to find out what was bugging her. As he mother approached them, Hannah began to realize this could a big mistake.

Steph nodded at Hannah when she said, you never know what you've got until you've lost it This saying was more true than anyone could imagine. Steph knew it was, because she didnt know how amazing her and Belles friendship was before she left, same with Laura. And she hadnt realised how much she needed Isabella before she went and ruined it. She didnt realise how she needed Aiden, to survive. Before he packed up and left without a single goodbye. She had realised how she needed her brother to keep her strong, but that didnt mean that when he died, Steph didnt crumble to pieces.

Steph didnt realise she was teary eyed til she looked up, and saw Hannahs mom walking toward them, she sniffed quickly, and smiled brightly at Hannahs mom. Before glancing at Hannah, the smile still on her lips.

she keeps looking so troubled Hannah thought, but she couldnt think about it anymore as her mother started to come towards them.

'Right, please, don't be offended by my mum, she can be a bit, mean at times, but she doesn't mean it really'
Hannah burbled out quickly to Steph before her mother was within earshot.
Hannah didnt have to time hear the reply because by then her mother was in front of her.

'I got you some new-' her mother started before she noticed Steph.
i knew this was going to happen! Hannah screamed inside her head.

Hannahs mother paused slightly, but then gave Steph a warm welcoming smile, as if she had known her forever.
'Well hello dear, and you are?'

Hannah just sat there stunned into silence.

Steph looked at Hannah, a small frown on her face, her mom didnt look mean?
'Um, okay,' Steph mutttered, when it came to meeting new people, espesh peoples moms, Steph didnt make a very good impression.

Before Steph could prepare herself, she heard a womans voice, looking up, she saw Hannahs mom.

Well hello dear, and you are? Stephs frowned returned, she was about to tell Hannahs mom not to be so rude. But she gazed at Hannah, saw her expression. And smiled, 'Im Steph, Hannahs friend.' She introduced herself, a sweet, but fake smile on her face.

'well its nice to meet you Steph, right now Hannah we need to get home, you coming with me, or staying with your friend for a while?' Hannahs mother asked.
'I, err, I, Im staying for a while', she replied, in a slight daze.
and with that, her mother waddled off in the direction of their home.

Hannah just sat there for a few moments, when she remembered she wasn't alone.
'My mum, she isnt usually like that, shes usually, a lot... nastier' she said turning to Steph
'There must be something about you that she likes, because shes never nice to people she doesn't know.'

Steph scofed quietly, 'Nice? Me?' She rolled her eyes, 'Im probably the most messed up kid around here.' She stared at the ground. Before pulling herself together.

She looked up at Hannah, 'Anyway, erm, your starting Hogwarts next semester right?' She asked.

\lameeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee\

'Yeah, im going to Hogwarts next semester, i'm so excited, will you be looking out for me?' she replied snorting a little with what she said last.
Deciding to change the subject quickly, Hannah asked Steph a question.
'Well will you come for tea at my house, please? This is the first time my mums been nice to one of my friends.'
She smiled softly, but not to Steph, to herself.

Hannah started to get up when she noticed a bag next to Steph on the floor,
'Umm, is that yours?' she asked uncertainly.

/rubbish/

'Course i will,' Steph smiled at her young friend. 'Its great at Hogwarts, well at least it used to be' She added in a hushed voice.

'Tea? Sure when?' Steph smiled, enjoying her time with Hannah.

Umm, is that yours? She looked down, Hannah ment the bag.'Oh erm, yeah erm,' Steph kicked it, hoping it would go under the bench, but she had forgotten to zip it up, and a heap of stolen things poured out, most till had tags on. 'Damn,' Steph swore, trying to gather all the things up before Hannah realised.

Hannah let out a sigh of relief when Steph said that she would come to her house for tea, she had a feeling they would become great friends. She thought about this with a smile.
'How about tonight?' Hannah asked Steph, 'as long as your not busy or anything' she added quickly as not to look pushy or anything.

Hannah was feeling like nothing could phase her great mood, but when Stephs kicked her bag and most of the contents fell out, Hannah was shocked. All the things in her bag still had prices on.

maybe she just bought them and she hadn't got around to taking all the tags off, Hannah hoped her thought was true, but deep down she knew it wasn't.

She waited for an explanation from Steph, because she made it plain with her facial expression that she knew what was in the bag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back