Caelan Maxwell

𝓒𝓪𝓵𝓵𝓲𝓰𝓻𝓪𝓹𝓱𝓲𝓼𝓽🎨ᴍᴏꜱᴀɪᴄ ᴀʀᴛɪꜱᴛ

OOC First Name
Arle
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Single
Caelan found the truth and he could not believe he was that stupid to see it right away. He was unpacking his box when the ring box fell out, opened and revealed the ring. It looked strange for it looked different from what he gave Kira. Letter and ring in hand, he went to the inn to talk to her. He hoped he could still win her back and start afresh. He was now at the front and wondered how he would ask for her or how to approach her should he ever see her.

Kira was having a busy day, having just returned from running errands for her sister. She walked into the inn, arms full and hardly noticing the visitor that was lurking as she handed off a few items to Mallory before sending her away to return them to Tyra, pulling over a stool and climbing atop it as she set to work restocking some of the shelves behind the front desk. She thought she heard shuffling behind her but didn’t turn, rearranging a few things still. “Give me just one moment and I’ll be right with you,” She spoke in her best customer service voice, “How can we help you today?” She asked, scooting a few things over to make room for the new items.

Caelan approached Kira the moment she sat at the desk. He was glad that the other woman left and he did not see any family around. He clearly just wanted to see her. As he waited for her to notice him, he studied her appearance. She looked happier. Healthier and more beautiful and the pang in his chest doubled at the thought he was not the one causing all of these. At her question, he cleared his throat. "I would like a room for the night and dinner with you."

Kira nearly toppled off her chair at the familiar voice, catching herself at the last second. She straightened, shutting her eyes and taking a deep breath. “Rooms are $141 a night. Dinner is served in the dining hall at six or room service is available.” She continued a little shakily, speaking in her best customer service voice and resuming her work without turning to look at him. What was he even doing here? Her heart twisted in her chest, but it wasn’t devastating as it had been, more of a… dulled ache.

Caelan knew Kira knew that she was talking to him. He looked around and there were few guests milling about. He glanced back at her before pulling out some money from his pocket. The part time job paid well and he was able to live by without support from the nobles in his family. They offered but he refused them again and again. "One night please. Would you like dinner in the dining hall or room service?" He was giving her choices here but one thing was sure, he would love her to join her for dinner.

Kira took a few deep breaths. "I apologize sir, but there isn't room in my schedule to eat with guests. The receptionist will be back shortly to handle your lodging." She spoke softly, not looking at him as she turned and walked away, stepping past Mallory as she came back and hurrying outside in an attempt to flee the entire situation. She pulled her messenger bag back over her shoulder, thinking maybe it was time to take a walk.

Caelan sighed. He knew this would not be easy. With the fake ring in his pocket as well as the letter, he figured out Kira received a similar letter as well. Not from him, that was. His eyes followed her as she hurried outside. Turning back to the receptionist, he quickly told her about his lodging, pushing the money forward before quickly following his ex. "Kira, wait. Please, let's talk." He caught up to her, gently grabbing her hand to prevent her from walking any farther.

Kira didn't really think she would get away, but she had kinda hoped. She winced when he took her hand. She pulled it away just as gently, refusing to look at him. "There's nothing else you can say," she managed softly, "I'm just a child,' after all," she quoted with hurt clear in her voice. "Leave me be," she pleaded softly, turning and trying to leave again.

silly me

Caelan wanted to hold onto her but decided otherwise. Her voice soft, he noticed she would not meet his eyes. As soon as she turned to leave again, he stepped in front of her, closed the distance between them and took her hands. "There is a lot to be said. And I know you do too." He rubbed her hands with his thumbs as he waited for her to meet his eyes.

Kira pulled her hands away, turning her back again and crossing her arms. "What do you want?" She asked, letting her hair fall to cover her eyes. She didn't want to do this, she just wanted to crawl into Arcs hoodie and forget this had happened. "What more could you possibly have to say to me?"

Caelan knew this would not be easy. He stepped around so he was in front of her again. He pulled out the ring and put it on her hand. "How about this for a start?" With the fake ring, he knew this would get Kira's attention. He now knew that she still had the ring and would be surprised with the one she had all along. "That ring came with this." He pulled out the letter and held it up to show her.

i thought it looked fun

Kira was startled to see the ring he held out to her, and the letter with it. She hesitated, before taking both from him and reading the handwriting that was similar to her own.

Caelan,

I can’t do this anymore. I’m sorry, but I’m not a Maxwell. You jump through all these hoops and you spend so much time trying to be what you’re supposed to be you never stop to just be yourself. I thought I could handle it, but I can’t. I can’t live off of empty words and broken promises. You’re never around, not when you were here and not now that you’re gone. Find yourself a proper lady that’s better suited for your world. I’m sorry, but it can’t be me.

Kira

She stood there for a moment, silent as she processed what this meant. After a moment, she turned her ocean blue eyes to him, hurt clear in their depths. "Are you serious right now?" She asked, voice breaking. "You actually thought- after everything I did for you, everything I endured to be with you, all it took was one cheap knock off ring and an obviously fake letter for you to lose faith in me?" She shook her head, anger rising in her, and turned to storm away.

Caelan looked guilty at what Kira told him. She was right and it hurt him so bad that he was too stupid to believe it immediately. The moment she turned to leave, he sprang into action, catching up to her and wrapped his arms around her from the back. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry that I did not trust you. That I believed what the letter said. That I did not come to you right away. That I did not even write to you about this. That I…. I'm sorry.", he tightened his hold, afraid she would push him away. His chest tightened at the thought of giving so much pain to her.

Kira tensed as Caelan grabbed her, wiggling free and turning so she was half towards him and half not. "Dont- dont touch me," she wrapped her arms around her torso. "I did everything for you, no matter how many times you forgot me, no matter how often you made everything else more important. You had no reason to even begin to think I would ever-" she shook her head, swiping at her eyes. "And now you think- what, you can just waltz back here and- what do you even want, why the hell are you here?" She didn't look at him.

Kira was sure stronger the last time they were together. And that was when - at a wedding. Last year. He kept his hold, letting her little room to wiggle. What hurt him the most was Kira crying. Caelan sighed sadly. "I just want you. See you. Hug you. And to ask for your forgiveness." He became teary eyed as he gazed down at her, their eyes not meeting. "I will do everything just to make things right between us,Key." He cautiously turned her to properly face her, lifting her chin to look at him. He did not even care if he looked weak, pleading to her.

Kira pulled away from him, shutting her eyes. No matter what had happened between them, she did still care about him. “No, Caelan. You never loved me. Not really. You loved the idea of me. You were so caught up in who you were supposed to be, in trying to be a Maxwell, that you never even stopped to think of yourself. You don’t know anything about me. I truly hope you find happiness, find your way, but it isn’t with me.” She hesitated, brushing his hair from his eyes before looking away. She took the ring- the actual ring- from a small pocket in her bag where it had been since Sapphire had returned it all that time ago- and placed it back into his hands.

Caelan stumbled back when she pushed him away. "Kira, I love you! You know that! I may be stupid to wait this long but I promise you it won't happen again. I… moved away from home and started over… I go to an art school now and work a part time job. This time I want to do things right for you. For us." His breath stopped at the sight of the ring, the actual ring, in his hand. He shook his head. "No, Key. Don't do this." He took her hands in his, kissing them, his tears fell onto them. He never thought he would be like this for a girl. But Kira was not just any girl. She was his love of his life.

Kira sighed heavily, her head starting to hurt with the frustration of this conversation. "Just stop." She pulled her hands gently from his. "Caelan, I'm glad you're actually thinking of yourself now. That's good." She hesitated. "But you're too late. I'm sorry. You forgot me. Constantly. Once, I was willing to give everything to fight that. To prove I was good enough for you. But when that letter came, probably from your mother," Kira shook her head.

"I found a support I never had with you. He takes his studies just as seriously as you always did, but he still takes time for me. He spent two months making an amazing gift for my birthday, he put me together again, he's worked me through my nightmares, he's made me a better person." She hesitated a moment, not wanting to hurt Caelan but needing him to let her go.

"I can't marry you. I don't know if I ever will marry. But if there is one thing I do know, without a shadow of a doubt, is that… I'm a Rabson. I love him, with all my heart. And I wouldn't have it another way." She spoke gently, but firmly. Her mind was made up. She sighed, stepping forward and kissing his cheek. "Goodbye, Caelan." She gave him a sad smile before turning to walk away.

Caelan had no choice but to let go of her hands. He was too hurt and remorseful that he caused Kira all the pain that she had been through. What was even worse was it was his mother who finally got between them. He stood there stricken with hurt as he listened to her telling him about someone else making her happy. He touched his cheek where the kiss was when he realized she was walking away. "Kira, wait!", stepping in front of her. He searched her eyes for something left for them but he found none. "I-I'm sorry… I guess I came back too late huh?", he stepped closer, hesitant to place a hand on her shoulder. "You are amazing. To me. And I'm a jerk who threw it all away. Whoever he is, he is one lucky man." He smiled though it did not reach his eyes. "I will miss you, Key… I love you… And I hope one day… you'll forgive me and let me be your friend. Some day.", he said with finality, his voice broke. Placing his hands on her arms, he bent down to press a chaste kiss on her cheek, not realizing the tears there. He let his lips linger for a second longer before pulling her into a hug. To hide his tear-stricken face but not the slight shaking of his body.

Kira almost groaned when he stopped her again, shutting her eyes and shaking her head. She hated this entire conversation, she just wanted to get away and curl up with Arc and forget it had even happened. She hated the pain in Caelan’s voice, but her mind was made up. She tensed as he kissed her, not relaxing as he pulled her into a hug. She patted his side awkwardly for a moment. “Caelan, stop touching me,” She wiggled free after a moment, “You aren’t listening to me, please don’t touch me again. You need to go.” She backed away again, trying to hurry this time so she could escape before he grabbed her again. “I really hope you find what I have,” She managed softly before hurrying away, praying he didn’t follow her again.

She nearly jumped out of her skin when she rounded the corner and almost knocked into someone. She didn’t look up, her head hurting and eager to get back to Arc and her room. “Excuse me,” She used her best customer service voice and tried to slip past, only hoping Arc was still where she’d left him.

Caelan felt he had been punched a thousand times in the gut. It was clear that she did not want anything to do with him anymore. He immediately let her go, not looking at her anymore leaving him. He just stood still, not knowing what to do. He had booked a night at the inn, hoping to make amends with Kira and spend time with her. But with everything that transpired, it would be useless for him to stay there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back