Forces of Nature

Carmen Peregrin

OOC First Name
Lin
Wand
Coconut Wand 14 1/4" Essence of Star Dust
Carmen was thrilled, she had gotten her school supply list and had persuaded her grandfather to let his house elf Yabbile to pick up the majority of her things, so all she had to concentrate on was buying her wand and her magical pet. She was still in two minds whether or not to get an owl no matter how practical they were. The day had started as an absolute scorcher, so Carmen had thrown on just a of jeans and a small white t-shirt, spritzing just a dab of rose water on to give herself a fresh scent.

Half way down through Brightstone clouds appeared over head and within minutes the heavens opened up. The torrential downpour had her soaked before she could even make it into the safety of a nearby doorway. Dripping she looked out from under the canopy of Honeydukes.
"Great" she muttered to herself.

Kaleb was wearing his usual casual outfit. A brown shirt and faded blue jeans(Refer to siggy). His hair finally had its regular trim, which meant that he wouldn't have to flip it so often. He walked around Brightstone, after telling his uncle about him making it to Slytherin. Chavdar just acted glad, but even Kaleb saw that he did not understand the concept of houses. Kaleb was happy and proud that he got in with his brother. Only one thing concerned him about the sorting. Carmen. Ever since he watched the hat call out the house, he was appalled. He was happy that she got in with him, but still, it wasn't what she wanted. And that bugged him.

Next thing he knew, he felt rain upon his head. "You are kidding me, right?" At least the weather was warm. He pushed his soaked hair out of his face, and his drenched clothes clung to his body. He didn't care that he was soaked. It felt nice anyhow. He glanced toward Honeydukes, and narrowed his eyes. Just the girl that was on his mind was standing there. He quickly walked over to his best friend, and leaned against the wall next to her. Kaleb flashed his brilliant smile, one true, "Lovely weather, isn't it?"

Carmen looked out to see non other than Kaleb running across out of the rain, smiling as he managed to reach her at last.
"Only lovely if you're a duck. I could have used a ton of my inventions to stay dry if I had known it was going to be like this" she mused holding a hand out to the rain drops. Turning to face him she wiped the damp tendrils of hair from her face.
"So how have you been then? I was actually on my way to get my wand believe it or not. So behind in getting my supplies its crazy".

She smiled when she noticed he had gotten a hair cut at last, it suited him like that.

Kaleb laughed and nodded slightly. "I had no idea it would be raining or else I would have brought something to cover myself with." He rolled his eyes slightly, and shook his head, though not hard enough to shower her with raindrops. Kaleb bit his lip slightly. He shrugged a bit, "Eh, my sister passed away but well, we weren't close at all. The family is taking it rather harsh. Especially dad. Other than that, just hanging around." Kaleb continued to smile around her. He didn't even care that he wasn't acting around her. He was being real, only, he was raised by a Death Eater, and had those views. Which meant, he did not share them with her. "I just got my wand. My other stuff...well, I handled shopping early." Kaleb dared to ask, "And how about you? Happy about this year?"

Carmen moved a step closer and touched his arm gently.
"I'm so sorry Kaleb" close or not, losing a family member must be devastating. She didn't know of course, could only guess. She didn't like to think of Kaleb being unhappy at all. Moving her hand again, she tucked them into her jeans pockets. She paused for a moment.
"My grandfather let me send one of the house elves in to collect my books and stuff, I was so busy with this bed warmer I'm working on but he insisted I had to go and get my own wand and magical pet. I just don't know what type of pet to get though" she thought she sounded frivolous talking about the everyday mundane things when he had just told her his sister had died. She didn't want to talk about the roaring arguments that had ensued at her home because of the house she had been placed in. They were all thrilled of course, she was far from it. The only good thing she could see about being placed there was that Kaleb would be there. She really didn't think she could stand it other wise.

"Was she sick?"

Kaleb shrugged slightly, "I already took out the feelings I felt out on a tree." He glanced at his hand, which had healed properly now. Kaleb thought for a moment. What kind of pet could he picture Carmen having? "My dad just bought me the stuff I needed like, the day after school ended, and thankfully, he already knew about the whole...supplies thing. But I did shop for my own wand, and I'm not bothering for a pet." He smiled crookedly, though still charming. He enjoyed being so open with her. After all, she was 'off-limits' set by him to never mess with, never hurt. That promise they made, he still lived by it. No matter what houses they get into, they would still remain best friends. Kaleb shook his head, "No, it just happened. That's what you get for trying out a spell that was far more advanced than your magic is." He didn't want to give out details about it. Kaleb sighed a bit, and mumbled, "I'm sorry that you didn't get into the house you wanted." He put his hand on her shoulder, wanting to comfort her. It hurt him a bit, and that was just shocking to him.

She looked at his hand and frowned it looked sore, very sore.
"How's the tree holding up then?" she smiled at him, it wasn't one of those silly girly smiles she saw so many girls use towards boys. No, Carmen felt as carefree and easy going around Kaleb as if he were simply an extension of herself. They were bestfriends, she need never try to be anything more around him than what she was.
"I suppose that's a lesson to us not to delve into advanced magic, no matter how tempting it is" she sighed when he put his hand on her shoulder. This was the only comfort she had been given on the subject of her house.

"Thanks Kaleb, unfortunately my family are thrilled to bits. The running joke right now is that I'll never make a Divination professor. As if I ever wanted to be anything so stupid" she frowned, her heart had quite literally broken that day. She had set her heart on being a Gryffindor because of that stupid dream, well she knew not to believe in her dreams anymore.
"At least we're in the same house, it's the only decent thing about this mess. Do you think anyone has ever gone to the headmaster and asked for a retry?"

Kaleb joked, "Oh no, that tree is history. At least, will be once I learn a spell to blow it up for allowing me to punch it that hard." He was only half serious. Though really, he didn't like the fact that the tree was as tough as it was, but still. That punch did hurt. Still did for a bit. Like the majority of his family members, he was left handed, and that was the one he punched with. Which meant, no charms for a bit. Kaleb only nodded at her next statement, eager to hear how she felt. Once hearing it, he frowned as well. "Figured they would be." He rolled his eyes. "They should have never put that sort of pressure on you just because you wanted to be who you are." Kaleb forced a weak smile. "Carmen, though you may be in Slytherin robes, you will always be a Gryffindor at heart. And yes, I cannot really say that I'm not pleased about us being able to hang out in the common room. About asking for a retry, I doubt that it is possible. Once the hat decides...it is."

"Oh so the tree is at fault is it?" her smile faded as she looked towards the pouring rain wondering when it would stop. She was still dripping puddles and beginninig to shiver slightly.
She turned to beam at him, she knew she could count on him for saying the right thing. The urge to hug him was strong but something stopped her from doing so. Did bestfriends go around hugging one another? She didn't know, she had never had one before and the fact that she had chosen a boy instead of a girl has her bestfriend probably said alot about her. That she wasn't into any of the usual hugs and blowing kisses type of thing that most girls were into. She knew how she looked disputed all of that, for she looked as if she were the epitome of girlishness with her blonde hair, tanned skin and hazel eyes.

"Thanks Kaleb it means alot that you understand at least" she was thrilled he had even remembered about that. She had only mentioned it once when they had first met.

Kaleb laughed, “Well, yeah. It was…in the way.” Kaleb was making excuses now. Not that he minded. He liked being open with her. But, he didn’t really understand why. Why was she an exception? Kaleb dismissed it, and found his mouth rather dry. Was he choking up? He cleared his throat, managing to reclaim his voice and act like he normally does when he is around her, “No problem, that is what best friends are for, right?” Kaleb wiped some of the water off his face, and took note that she was shivering slightly, “Um, Carmen, perhaps we should go back to the castle, and change to some suitable clothes? I don’t want you to get a cold.” Kaleb normally wears a jacket, but did not today. And even if he did, it would have done her no good.

As she shivered once more she decided he was more than right. If she didn't head back soon she would probably get pneumonia or something. She nodded her head afraid now that if she spoke her teeth would begin to chatter. Carmen wished the warmth inside her from him being considerate of her would hurry up and spread throughout her to warm her up all over.

"Couldn't think of anyone else I'd rather have has my bestfriend" she smiled as her teeth began the chattering she had been afraid of, "I ... think we better go then."

Kaleb beamed proudly, "Yeah, we should. And fast too." He took note of how bad she shivered, and smiled to himself. He went back out in the rain, and led the way back to the castle.

Yours was lame? Ha! Check out my leaving post. xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back