Closed Fixer Upper

Wren Honeysett

Inn Owner // Naive // Fatherless
Blood Status
Unknown
Relationship Status
Single (Not Looking)
For now almost a year Wren had been playing the back and fourth game getting plumbing fixed, getting everything set up, and getting muggles to shoo away from her. She needed the hotel plottable - but she needed to be able to give a reason and while she was certain she'd finish turning it into a livable space, saying "it might be somewhere i live so put magic around it" didn't sound good on an application. Over the previous months the brunette had gotten into better shape than she'd ever been from hauling lumber and glass around the property and trying to get bricks into the right places. It was quite a hard job to do, especially while helping to care for her siblings - but that didn't make Wren any more discouraged. She'd bought this place in a sketchy auction, and she was going to turn it into a dream.

As it was the old styled inn looked better and better every day. The roof no longer leaked, and while some windows had boards over them, others were looking quite well. The only room she hadn't touched really was the area that used to be an indoor pool. She had no idea what she was going to do with the massive area - and it was quite creepy if she were honest. However, maybe when he friend Alfie showed up this afternoon, he could help her with that. For now the witch would suffice to carrying in heavy lumber as she planned to finish the floors in the kitchen.

Alfie was not usually accustomed to being summoned to help clean something. He did work for and own a charity organisation, but it wasn't like he had a lot of support, since he was alone and had no help, not even really from his family who mostly saw it as being a bit beneath him. He'd been ever so slightly offended by that comment from his Grandfather, but, really, what was the harm in trying to create a safe space for those who didn't have one. He certainly thought it had been a good idea at least. It was one of the reasons he'd elected to help out Wren today, apart from being her friend and just wanting to help, he figured it would be good for the image he was trying to build for KAPPA. Not that anyone actually knew who they were. "Wren!" He'd finally made it to the destination, walking there as he wasn't sure if the place was anti-apparation or not. He couldn't see any warding though, but that didn't mean anything. "Why are you carrying all of that with your hands, you have a wand, you're a witch." He wasn't sure why people ever elected to do anything manually when wands worked just as well. It was a bit mad honestly. "These windows would be fine in five seconds if you just waved you wand at them." Alfie unfortunately was not adept at wandless magic, though wordless he could do, same as any adult. "What do you need exactly?" The place was... well, fixer upper may not have covered the extent, though he had visions on it being much worse than it was now.​

Hearing her name Wren turned around excitedly. "Hey Alfie!" The woman spoke with a grin. However the wide smile faded as he continued to talk. "Shhh, no no, shh." She said, before setting the wood down against the door frame and making her way over to him. "As much as I would love that, I'm not exactly hidden yet. The inn is barely livable, and I can't just put a barrier around an abandoned building." She said. "So right now, I have to do everything by myself. Want to grab the glass out of the back of my truck?" She asked, pointing to a beat up, rusted red pick up truck.

Wren made her way inside the house, setting the wood down in the entryway, which was partially finished now. There were old antiquated seats, some refurbished by her and some not. It was obvious by the inside she'd been doing some work. "I was hoping just to have some muscle. I had to get some of these things up the stairs and I know it's going to be a pain. Want me to show you around the place first?" She asked, voice echoing in the semi-empty building.

Alfie was almost positive there was a way around the unplottable thing, had to be. He couldn't imagine Hogwarts having been built whilst it was unplottable, though, given it was established in like, the sixteenth century, or something maybe they were fine since the statue hadn't been written into effect yet. Not that he was particularly good at history or anything. "Ah, right, okay, um..." he wasn't used to doing things the muggle way, having grown up in an old magic family, though they weren't pureblooded anymore. They had been up until his father Grandfather married his Grandmother - plus the stigma of a pureblooded family these days didn't suit them. "I'm not surprised you have a red truck," he said as he headed over to do as she asked. "You seem like the type. I never learned how to drive, thought I wish I did. Would probably be easier than buses. Muggle transport is terrible." He wondered why wizards didn't have cars, it was such a shame. He knew about cars and had been in one before, but certainly wasn't near confident enough to try and drive one, that seemed like it would be a very bad idea.​
The glass was weird to move, perhaps because all heavy lifting was usually completed by his magic, so he wasn't accustomed to this. He was a rich boy from Germany, this wasn't what rich boys from Germany did on their off time. He wasn't really getting much out of this, but he was helping out a friend and that worked for him. He dropped the glass carefully nearby where she had left her stuff and nodded, yawning slightly. He would be going home soon, but he had another week here in New Zealand, there were worse ways to spend your time. "Yeah, sure. Sounds great. Tell me what your plans are, what's the vision at the end?" He asked, grinning as his eyes lit up at the prospect of what this could be. She'd been given a shitty deal, but she seemed to be mostly okay with it, which surprised him a bit.​

Wren rolled her eyes and laughed when he commented on her vehicle. "My mom said my dad used to drive a truck. Don't know if that's true as many of us she has from different men, but i like to think that sometimes we are driving at the same time. Maybe listening to the same music or some other cosmic alignment bullsh*t." She rambled, helping him the best she could by holding open the iron door and the inside old oak one as well. "I'm trying so hard to keep everything original in this inn, but let me tell you the doors are like thirty pounds a piece." She moaned, before letting them swing shut.

"Well, I'd like to restore everything in this place. I have a lot of siblings, some as young as babes, and if I could take care of them, you know get them away from the house that would be nice." She walked first into the dining area, which was medium sized and looked to fit around twenty or thirty people. "I plan on redoing this whole room with new hardwood. I'd eventually like to be able to rent rooms out, so I'm thinking of placing a bar along the west wall, and repainting and framing the doorways to look more modern - yet still rustic." She talked as she took Alfie through each safe room, showing him the first few rooms for rent but not all fifteen. She then ended the tour in the old pool room. It was huge with amphitheater styled ceilings, which lead up to a beautiful and bright starry night scene painted on the ceiling. It was chipping away, water damage had stained the floors and the poor was drained other than bits of rain water. "This is the only room I don't know about." She said. "i thought a ball room would suit, as really with a lake near by there isn't a point in a pool."

Alfie nodded as Wren spoke to him, helping out as he could. He loved helping people when he could, that was just the kind of person he was after all. Someone had to be the helpful sort in his family, as it seemed to be pretty one sided for the most part with most people. Even his Uncle Phillip only did things that suited him when they suited him for the time. He wasn't sure how the man was with his girlfriend, or whatever that Hanna woman was, but, well, he knew it wasn't the kind of relationship he wanted to be having that was for sure. His whole family were immature. "Yeah, doors are heavy, especially the big ones. You gotta remember the style they take after, you know back in Tudor times in the UK and everything, these doors were all that stood between you and a hoard of blood thirsty knights!" Not that Alfie really knew much about that, he was pretty bad with History in any form. Charms had always been his speciality. He followed her as she started give him a tour and talking about what her plans were. It all sounded quite grand, but she seemed to be doing well so far. The inn really did look good, though he was sure there was room for improvement as there always was. "I mean, I like what you have in mind, and these old rustic places tend to go for a mint, so, I'll be interested to see what happens when you actually open. Might have to give this place a try myself, you know for word of mouth." Alfie loved to recommend things to people and he was always more likely to trust his friends than he was to trust total strangers. "Friends of mine own a little bed and breakfast in England, I could maybe help out a bit for a while if you like? Nothing really happening with the charity at the moment, seeing as it's just me." He wasn't great with Marketing and since he had to travel so much, he didn't have much of a chance to get his name out since he had a lot of trouble just finding places to be, or even hiring, which was not a thing he did at all really. He stopped in the doorway as she showed him the pool room. "A ball room is actually a good idea, you could open it up for functions and stuff, you know?" It was a bit hot today unfortunately, he wasn't used to this weather near Christmas. Being predominantly in Germany, so he was used to snow and cold. He pulled his shirt off over his head and shoved it to the side out the door. He would just have to charm bits of wood not to cut him if he moved them. Surely he could get away with that. He walked further into the ball room past Wren. "You know, actually, you could rip out that wall at the far end, extend it slightly and you'd have yourself a grand ballroom."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back