First Years Lesson One (Ravenclaw and Slytherin)

Mallory was both relieved and nervous to be back. Peter was sleeping soundly in the baby rocker by her desk, charmed so that the noise of the students wouldn't disturb him. She had set up the classroom again the way she liked, giving it a quick cleaning that morning before arranging her desk. Amara was curled up with Maxim underneath her large oak desk, fast asleep as well (as if she'd gone and spelled all her little minions to rest, when really it had just been a long night) and all of Mallory’s notes and lesson plans were arranged neatly on the desk itself, turned to face out to the rows of seats so she could sit and still supervise her students while being able to watch her son.

She had decorated the desk with a line of flowers, most of them shorter, creating a small barrier along the edge of the desk that she could still see over. She had taken care getting dressed that morning, her light powder blue robes swishing gently around her feet and her dark mahogany hair pulled back in a braided chignon. Peter was thankfully a calmer baby, dramatic when he wanted to be, but fascinated with watching her to the point where she could get ready for the day.

She rose from her desk as the students filed in, smiling kindly as the last of them settled in their seats. She clapped her hands lightly to get their attention, looking over the fresh young faces of the first years. “Dobroye utro, good morning my dears,” She greeted gently, her Russian accent a more subtle but still there. “My name is Professor Mallory Grayveson, and I’ll be your Professor until fifth year,” She raised a hand, the chalk raising to write out her name in an elegant script behind her.

Speaking to the children was very simple, and Mallory found herself relaxing. “I was born and raised in Saint Petersburg, Russia. I have two siblings, and I moved to Arrowtown here in New Zealand when I was eighteen, where I met and eventually married my husband, and we had our son Peter.” She told them, walking slowly back and forth across the front of the room as she spoke, motioning to the baby before turning her attention back to the students. “My dear, would you please start us off by telling us your name, house, and something about yourself, and something about your wand?” She asked, stopping in front of a student and smiling kindly. She listened carefully to all of the given answers, smiling warmly at each student in turn. Her memory was excellent, and she took a mental note of every name and face in her class, and noting their wands. “Thank you,” She smiled warmly at her class.

She moved back to the front of the room, and clapped her hands lightly. “Very good! Your wand is a part of you, an extension of your power and yourself. It’s important that you know about it, that you understand it’s properties and the power it can wield.”

Mallory continued to move, her robes swishing gently along the floor. “A Charm is a spell that adds certain properties to an object or creature. Charms are distinguished from transfigurations in that a charm adds or changes properties of an object; it focuses on altering what the object does as opposed to what the object is.” She explained. “I would like each of you to read the assigned chapter over the week between lessons. I will of course do a brief overview of the relevant chapter at the beginning of each lesson, but it will be much easier for you to take the time to study and understand on your own rather than trying to cram it into a single lesson.” Of course, if they were anything like her brother, and she assumed many of them were, they would wait until the last minute to do their reading.

"We will be learning spells, beginning next week with Lumos; the charm to cast a light from your wand, all the way up to your seventh year where you will progress onto casting your very own Patronus." She continued, pulling out her wand and casting a Patronus as she finished speaking, letting the Sphynx cat wander idly through the air for a few moments before letting it dissipate. “Of course, the more advanced magic will be taught by Professor Haden, to all of you that wish to continue your classes with him.”

Mallory stopped in the middle of the room, smiling fondly at all the children. “That’s all the time we have for today, my dears. Remember to do your reading, I’ve made you all a list of what chapters we’ll be covering this semester. Stop by my desk on your way out to collect your copy. My office is open after breakfast until dinner, if you have any questions about what you’ve read or would like a bit of extra tutoring, feel free to stop by.” She brought her hands together. “Next week we’ll be going over the spell Lumos, and be sure not to forget your wands. Dasvidaniya,” She spoke fondly, and with a flick of her wrist the door opened again and she moved to sit at her desk, passing out the assigned reading and homework list with a smile as the children came to collect their papers before leaving- just in time, it seemed, as Peter was stretching and cooing gently in his rocker.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Roleplay lesson for full marks
Introduce yourself for extra credit
Additional credit for answering the question

Reading List:

Lumos
Wingardium Leviosa
Finite
Accio
Depulso
Expelliarmus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back